It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2552 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:09 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:00 am
Posts: 43220
Location: Chicago Heights
pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Kirkwood wrote:
deth's tar is good but pricey. i want to stop by revolution tap room and try deth by cherries.


I was there for the release. I'm not impressed by the variations. The vanilla was just bad. But that's not my kind of beer, so don't take my word for it. Also, they pissed me off because they sold the entire Friday allotment to dopes standing in line at 2:00, so if you went to the actual release party and wanted to grab your four on the way out, they weren't letting you have any.

_________________
We acknowledge that we are on the traditional territory of bigfan, slumlord, and denisdman.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:43 pm
Posts: 15203
pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
deth's tar is good but pricey. i want to stop by revolution tap room and try deth by cherries.


I was there for the release. I'm not impressed by the variations. The vanilla was just bad. But that's not my kind of beer, so don't take my word for it. Also, they pissed me off because they sold the entire Friday allotment to dopes standing in line at 2:00, so if you went to the actual release party and wanted to grab your four on the way out, they weren't letting you have any.

ah, yes, those losers are just the best.

unfortunately, i think most breweries appreciate the hordes of losers waiting in line. good publicity.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:30 am
Posts: 2952
pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Kirkwood wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
deth's tar is good but pricey. i want to stop by revolution tap room and try deth by cherries.


I was there for the release. I'm not impressed by the variations. The vanilla was just bad. But that's not my kind of beer, so don't take my word for it. Also, they pissed me off because they sold the entire Friday allotment to dopes standing in line at 2:00, so if you went to the actual release party and wanted to grab your four on the way out, they weren't letting you have any.

ah, yes, those losers are just the best.

unfortunately, i think most breweries appreciate the hordes of losers waiting in line. good publicity.

The absolute worst is Tired Hands in PA, where people just leave out lawn chairs to hold their spot in line for hours at a time. So you end up with just lines of chairs down the sidewalk.
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:25 am
Posts: 9051
pizza_Place: Investigating
No idea where to put this.

A few fun facts about health, and states and other such things located here: https://assets.americashealthrankings.org/app/uploads/2017annualreport.pdf

Found page 51 amusing. Heavy drinkers are most likely found in that sub group of men between 18-44 who make more than $75,000 (page 51). On page 55 you can take note that individuals in these sub categories are NOT the fattest. Drink on.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:43 pm
Posts: 15203
pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Visited two taprooms this weekend: Forbidden Root & Half Acre Balmoral.

Best beer of the weekend was Half Acre's new DIPA Sailor Kush. Best description I could give is a cross between an NEIPA and a West Coast IPA. The color was of a hazy NE-style but it wasn't overly sweet and fruit juicy. Great beer. Only sold within taproom at $20 a 4-pack. I would've loved to pick some up but there's already too much beer in the fridge and in the kegerator.

Forbidden Root was alright. Their "thing" is botanic beers and NEIPAs. I tried 3 of their NEIPAs and they were OK. The beer I enjoyed best was actually a basil strawberry hefeweizen. I know, man card. :oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:18 pm
Posts: 14450
pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
http://qconline.com/lifestyles/food-and-cooking/these-are-the-highest-rated-winter-beers/collection_a088a346-c575-5ce4-bebf-d54be032b7e1.html#4

Anyone try any?

_________________
When I am stuck and need to figure something out I always remember the Immortal words of Socrates when he said:"I just drank what?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:03 pm
Posts: 33925
chaspoppcap wrote:

I did some hard work a couple weeks ago and carry a bomber of the Surly Darkness down to my basement to age a bit.

_________________
I AM FASCINATED BY TALL MIDGET.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:18 pm
Posts: 14450
pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Douchebag wrote:
chaspoppcap wrote:

I did some hard work a couple weeks ago and carry a bomber of the Surly Darkness down to my basement to age a bit.


There is a micro distillery out here I am thinking of trying.

_________________
When I am stuck and need to figure something out I always remember the Immortal words of Socrates when he said:"I just drank what?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:13 pm
Posts: 13993
pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Wanted to try that HA release, KW, but I had already been there the weekend before to pick up American Elder. Next time!

_________________
-- source


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:31 am
Posts: 7917
Location: On Frozen Pond
pizza_Place: Giordano's
Surly should really update that pic to include the new one.

_________________
Frank Costanza wrote:
You're just an idiot. You're not a rapist.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:35 pm
Posts: 13001
Location: On my way to the gym
pizza_Place: Kaisers
Have to go to a get together tomorrow and I always bring a gift. I found two bombers of King Sue
Of which I'll give one and keep one. I really like Toppling's offerings up and down the board. Also bought a sixer of Napalm Bunny DIPA from Ale Asylum which is good. 9.2% packs a little punch.

_________________
Flew too close to the sun on wings of pastrami


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:30 am
Posts: 2952
pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Did all of this year's Bourbon Counties last weekend with a few friends. I found the base beer to be much sweeter than usual and this really affected my enjoyment of a lot of them. Regular and Reserve were the 2 biggest disappointments by far and the latter was no comparison for Rare 2015, which is tasting as good as ever. I'd say Prop was the highlight of this year's and a pleasant surprise, though I kind of wonder whether that's just cause of how unique it is and I'm not sure I could consume an entire bottle of it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:31 am
Posts: 7917
Location: On Frozen Pond
pizza_Place: Giordano's
T-Bone wrote:
Have to go to a get together tomorrow and I always bring a gift. I found two bombers of King Sue
Of which I'll give one and keep one. I really like Toppling's offerings up and down the board. Also bought a sixer of Napalm Bunny DIPA from Ale Asylum which is good. 9.2% packs a little punch.

King Sue is the realness. Enjoy.

_________________
Frank Costanza wrote:
You're just an idiot. You're not a rapist.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:43 pm
Posts: 15203
pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Visited Corridor Brewery & Provisions on Southport near Cornelia. Their beer has quickly become one of my favorites. Had three of their NEIPA offerings: SqueezeIt, Misty Business and Pulp Hogan. All three were very good with SqueezeIt being my favorite. Their stout, which I'd classify a pastry stout, if a tasty dessert beer. The chocolate and hazelnut are not subtle. Had a few sips of my wife's wild ale Funkadelic #7 that they did a bottle release only of. It's a brett oat pale ale. The funk/sour is there but the finish is bland.

Went back to Half Acre again as well. The barrel aged Big Hugs was so damn delicious on days like this weekend. Warms you up right.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:53 pm 
Offline
1000 CLUB

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:55 pm
Posts: 14790
pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
I'm going to be enjoying some grilled burgers and Heady Topper tonight as the East Coast blizzard rolls in.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:13 pm
Posts: 13993
pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Send me some, TM.

_________________
-- source


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:24 am
Posts: 28796
Location: Around the corner from Only Child Brewing Co
pizza_Place: Gino's East
Tapped a 1/6th of Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA on Saturday. Delightful.

_________________
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
God damn, bigfan's thoughts on this thread are atrocious. I forgot what kind of special idiot he was.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:17 am
Posts: 14061
Location: West Burbs
ZephMarshack wrote:
Did all of this year's Bourbon Counties last weekend with a few friends. I found the base beer to be much sweeter than usual and this really affected my enjoyment of a lot of them. Regular and Reserve were the 2 biggest disappointments by far and the latter was no comparison for Rare 2015, which is tasting as good as ever. I'd say Prop was the highlight of this year's and a pleasant surprise, though I kind of wonder whether that's just cause of how unique it is and I'm not sure I could consume an entire bottle of it.



You are 100% spot on with the regs. Reserve I did enjoy over the holidays and expect it to mellow a bit over the coming months. I do like Prop but my personal favorite is Northwoods. I was a huge fan of regal and Northwoods follows that for me.

Rare 2015 is drinking great - popped one over the holidays and it's definitely great right now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:49 pm
Posts: 9323
Location: UM?
pizza_Place: Aurelios
Happy Hopslam release week.

_________________
Hank Scorpio wrote:
What the hell, I would. Post op is OK right? Right?!?!?!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:49 pm
Posts: 9323
Location: UM?
pizza_Place: Aurelios
For those people that are still looking for Bourbon County it is available at the Cardinal Liquors out of Joliet and they have a ton of it left over

_________________
Hank Scorpio wrote:
What the hell, I would. Post op is OK right? Right?!?!?!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:24 am
Posts: 28796
Location: Around the corner from Only Child Brewing Co
pizza_Place: Gino's East
Chris_in_joliet wrote:
For those people that are still looking for Bourbon County it is available at the Cardinal Liquors out of Joliet and they have a ton of it left over


For Canadian residents, the Cardinal in Gurnee also has a ton of it.

_________________
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
God damn, bigfan's thoughts on this thread are atrocious. I forgot what kind of special idiot he was.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:03 pm
Posts: 33925
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Chris_in_joliet wrote:
For those people that are still looking for Bourbon County it is available at the Cardinal Liquors out of Joliet and they have a ton of it left over


For Canadian residents, the Cardinal in Gurnee also has a ton of it.

Yeah, you can still find the regular stout pretty much anywhere. I was able to score 2 additonal Northwoods after xmas, but that's about all the luck I've had on variants post release.

I would kill for another bottle of Prop. I only got 1, and that was because of luck. I was out on Black Friday at one of those "Bourbon County Tap Takeover" events. The place also had bottles for sale, and I decided to order one. The waitress mistakenly brought out the bottle un-opened, and it went straight out to my car. Other than that, I haven't seen it anywhere. My local shop that hooked me up with a pretty nice selection didn't get any prop either.

_________________
I AM FASCINATED BY TALL MIDGET.


Last edited by Douchebag on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:17 am
Posts: 14061
Location: West Burbs
Prop is the hardest to get this year. Values in the trade market are in the 150 range per bottle. By comparison, Reserve is 60-80 and Northwoords and Coffee are hovering around 50.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:49 pm
Posts: 9323
Location: UM?
pizza_Place: Aurelios
The store manager at the Jewel we always go to I've known for probably about 6 to 7 years and he's literally the best store manager I've ever had to deal with. I asked him if he was getting Hopslam in and he said yes. Took me over to the liquor manager and told him to save me as much Hopslam as I want.

You can't buy that type of power.

_________________
Hank Scorpio wrote:
What the hell, I would. Post op is OK right? Right?!?!?!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:30 am
Posts: 2952
pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I doubt that Hopslam will be particularly hard to get this year anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:49 pm
Posts: 9323
Location: UM?
pizza_Place: Aurelios
ZephMarshack wrote:
I doubt that Hopslam will be particularly hard to get this year anyway.



Yeah I know. ..dont kill my buzz bro.

_________________
Hank Scorpio wrote:
What the hell, I would. Post op is OK right? Right?!?!?!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:43 pm
Posts: 15203
pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
I was at LP Binny's on Sunday and they had 2 4-packs of V.S.O.D sitting on the shelves. I liked Deth's Tar so I was tempted to purchase as I hadn't yet tried V.S.O.D. But there's just no way I could pull the trigger on 32.99 for 4 cans of beer.

Yea, yea, yea, it's cheaper per ounce than BCBS but $32.99 vs $11.99. Picked up a growler each of Corridor's DDH DIPA's on tap: Misty Business and Juice Beyond.

Both were tasty but so far I've liked Mosaic Monsoon the best.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:35 pm
Posts: 13001
Location: On my way to the gym
pizza_Place: Kaisers
Bought a bomber of Hopsmack! from Toppling Goliath last weekend. Really like their product and seems to be getting easier to find,
at least up here in SE Wisconsin, but $9.99 for a bomber is pretty steep, and that is a couple bucks cheaper than at Mars Cheese Castle.

_________________
Flew too close to the sun on wings of pastrami


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:17 am
Posts: 14061
Location: West Burbs
Kirkwood wrote:
I was at LP Binny's on Sunday and they had 2 4-packs of V.S.O.D sitting on the shelves. I liked Deth's Tar so I was tempted to purchase as I hadn't yet tried V.S.O.D. But there's just no way I could pull the trigger on 32.99 for 4 cans of beer.

Yea, yea, yea, it's cheaper per ounce than BCBS but $32.99 vs $11.99. Picked up a growler each of Corridor's DDH DIPA's on tap: Misty Business and Juice Beyond.

Both were tasty but so far I've liked Mosaic Monsoon the best.

VSOD is pretty special. Yes, it's a big number for a 4 pack, but it's also not an IPA that you need to drink fresh.

For me, Corridor's best is Squeezit. Cosmic Juice Box is a close second.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:43 pm
Posts: 15203
pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
I was at LP Binny's on Sunday and they had 2 4-packs of V.S.O.D sitting on the shelves. I liked Deth's Tar so I was tempted to purchase as I hadn't yet tried V.S.O.D. But there's just no way I could pull the trigger on 32.99 for 4 cans of beer.

Yea, yea, yea, it's cheaper per ounce than BCBS but $32.99 vs $11.99. Picked up a growler each of Corridor's DDH DIPA's on tap: Misty Business and Juice Beyond.

Both were tasty but so far I've liked Mosaic Monsoon the best.

VSOD is pretty special. Yes, it's a big number for a 4 pack, but it's also not an IPA that you need to drink fresh.

For me, Corridor's best is Squeezit. Cosmic Juice Box is a close second.

Grabbed SqueezeIt when they had it around Christmas time. Enjoyed it very much. Hopefully they can maybe expand canning to more than once-a-month brewery only deal. But who knows if that's in their business plan.

Missed out on Cosmic Juice Box. I hope to hit that one next time it's up.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2552 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group