It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105  Next
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:06 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
they have one out currently that has Frango mint oil in it
That's something i'd be curious to try a taste of if it were on tap, but no way in hell am I committing to a 4 pack of that

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:37 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Bagels wrote:
they have one out currently that has Frango mint oil in it
That's something i'd be curious to try a taste of if it were on tap, but no way in hell am I committing to a 4 pack of that

Sounds awful, but I'd give it a try I suppose. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:47 am 

Harvard Dan wrote:
Not a suggestion, but my Secret Santa at work got me a sixer of Zombie Dust...in cans.

do you prefer it in the can?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:57 am 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
good dolphin wrote:
Harvard Dan wrote:
Not a suggestion, but my Secret Santa at work got me a sixer of Zombie Dust...in cans.

do you prefer it in the can?

Especially during this time of year I prefer to give than to receive.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:50 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
good dolphin wrote:
They had what might have been the best light beer I have ever tasted from a brewery in Hawaii, Kona Brewery Company: Mai Time Light. So full of flavor for a light and not horrible abv at 4.
Kona's stuff is definitely pretty good. I don't have much of it in the winter, but Kona offerings are regularly in my fridge during the summer.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Sam’s - Oglesby, IL
Tall Midget wrote:
The Division wrote:
Bagels wrote:
The Division wrote:
Bagels wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Noon Whistle is very good, but in my view they're a couple levels below Hop Butcher as far as Chicago-area IPAs go. I also prefer some of the stuff I've tried by Maplewood and Sketchbook (though Sketchbook is typically not as good as Noon Whistle).

i love Hop Butcher
basically my go to
If you're going to gouge me for 15$ for a 4pack, at least give me a goddamn pint not a 12oz can

I assume their stuff is available at Binny’s?

Not sure I rarely go there
It’s at Joes Beverage warehouse in romeoville
And Kenwood has it

I’ll be in town next week. I’ll check Binnys. Any of their stuff or is there one beer that is their flagship? Edit: No, I’m not interested in milkshake IPAs.

Hop Butcher makes non-milkshake IPAS. They brew some of the best hazies in the country.

I really don't care for hazy IPAs. I want a regular, resinous IPA. I guess that means West Coast IPA.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:16 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
They had what might have been the best light beer I have ever tasted from a brewery in Hawaii, Kona Brewery Company: Mai Time Light. So full of flavor for a light and not horrible abv at 4.
Kona's stuff is definitely pretty good. I don't have much of it in the winter, but Kona offerings are regularly in my fridge during the summer.

The waitress said this just came out. I suppose they have an inside line on island things.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
The Division wrote:

I really don't care for hazy IPAs. I want a regular, resinous IPA. I guess that means West Coast IPA.

I really can't stand hazy IPA's when compared to regular West Coast IPA's. They are harder and harder to find but Revolution has been consistent with their heavy hopped IPA's over the years. The League of Hero's sampler is my beer of choice and usually only 1 of the 4 varieties is a hazy and their hazy ipa's aren't that offensive. Do I every miss the days of San Diego during the eruption of the west coast IPA. Every bar in town had Stone IPA, Alpine Pure Hoppiness, Pliny (if it was a good beer bar), Alesmith IPA, Green Flash IPA.... on tap. The best not in the west for me was Southern Tier's Gemini. I had that on tap in PHilly and it was outstanding. ........fucking hazy/milkshake crap.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:31 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
good dolphin wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

The waitress said this just came out. I suppose they have an inside line on island things.
You're aware Kona brews more than one beer, yes?

The Binny's on Lincoln and Touhy likely stocks Kona brand year round, though I suspect they have more variety in the summer. Their Big Wave and Longboard Lager are both very good. You as not a huge beer drinker would probably enjoy both.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:36 pm 
1000 CLUB

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
The Division wrote:

I really can't stand hazy IPA's when compared to regular West Coast IPA's. They are harder and harder to find but Revolution has been consistent with their heavy hopped IPA's over the years. The League of Hero's sampler is my beer of choice and usually only 1 of the 4 varieties is a hazy and their hazy ipa's aren't that offensive. Do I every miss the days of San Diego during the eruption of the west coast IPA. Every bar in town had Stone IPA, Alpine Pure Hoppiness, Pliny (if it was a good beer bar), Alesmith IPA, Green Flash IPA.... on tap. The best not in the west for me was Southern Tier's Gemini. I had that on tap in PHilly and it was outstanding. ........fucking hazy/milkshake crap.

I used to love getting my hands on some Alesmith IPA, but I can't remember the last time I saw it out here in MA. Great beer. I actually prefer Pliny the Younger to Pliny the Elder, but I think the former is only available at the brew pub, which is a fun place.

As far as Southern Tier goes, it's not regarded as one of the stronger producers of NE IPAs. If you can get your hands on something by Other Half, I would highly recommend giving them a whirl.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:59 pm 

The Division wrote:

Love League of Heroes sampler! I got the Stone 12 days of IPA and 5 of the 12 are hazy. A friend had one and I tasted it. Wasn't bad but wasn't the hop bomb I was looking for. Agreed, West Coast IPAs are harder and harder to find. There's a place close to my house that has 40 taps and they typically will have 1 West Coast IPA to 4-5 hazy IPAs. I guess people like the perceived bitterness as opposed to the actual bitterness. I don't understand why...

Haven't had Pure Hopiness, love Pliny, Alesmith IPA, Green Flash IPA. Great taste! For a good double, if you haven't tried Sixpoint's Resin, put it on your list.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:28 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

You're aware Kona brews more than one beer, yes?

The Binny's on Lincoln and Touhy likely stocks Kona brand year round, though I suspect they have more variety in the summer. Their Big Wave and Longboard Lager are both very good. You as not a huge beer drinker would probably enjoy both.

Yes. I'm talking about this particular lite.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:38 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
The Division wrote:
The Division wrote:

Love League of Heroes sampler! I got the Stone 12 days of IPA and 5 of the 12 are hazy. A friend had one and I tasted it. Wasn't bad but wasn't the hop bomb I was looking for. Agreed, West Coast IPAs are harder and harder to find. There's a place close to my house that has 40 taps and they typically will have 1 West Coast IPA to 4-5 hazy IPAs. I guess people like the perceived bitterness as opposed to the actual bitterness. I don't understand why...

Haven't had Pure Hopiness, love Pliny, Alesmith IPA, Green Flash IPA. Great taste! For a good double, if you haven't tried Sixpoint's Resin, put it on your list.

Resin is outstanding. I have had that many times. It will kick you in the pants...for something that comes in such a small can.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Went to the Farmers Market this morning, part of which is held in one of the local breweries. Picked up a 4 pack of their Gingerbread Monk. Good stuff. Highly recommend this place if you are ever in downtown Kenosha. They make all their own stuff and have a good selection.

https://publiccraftbrewing.com/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:56 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Went to the Farmers Market this morning, part of which is held in one of the local breweries. Picked up a 4 pack of their Gingerbread Monk. Good stuff. Highly recommend this place if you are ever in downtown Kenosha. They make all their own stuff and have a good selection.

Really good selection, based on their website…

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Bored thoughts on Le Jus?

It’s one of my favorite hazies, but a little overpriced and consistently makes me feel like horseshit morning after drinking a few.

I’m forecasting a bad morning tomorrow on that basis but curious if anybody else fights through the pain à la Antioch, or if you’re a bunch of patriots.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:22 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
SOLID choice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
I had old style on draft last night

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:00 am 

Bagels wrote:
I had old style on draft last night

Intentionally?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:29 am 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:

It’s one of my favorite hazies, but a little overpriced and consistently makes me feel like horseshit morning after drinking a few.

I’m forecasting a bad morning tomorrow on that basis but curious if anybody else fights through the pain à la Antioch, or if you’re a bunch of patriots.

Haven't had it but I'm not a fan overall of hazy IPAs. I will say I would rather have a hazy than some other styles. Do you only have issues with this hazy or do all hazy IPAs hit you hard?

Anyone been to Alter Brewing in St. Charles? Heading back to Illinois for the holidays and it looks like Alter is one of the stops we are making.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:28 pm 

The Division wrote:

Haven't had it but I'm not a fan overall of hazy IPAs. I will say I would rather have a hazy than some other styles. Do you only have issues with this hazy or do all hazy IPAs hit you hard?

Anyone been to Alter Brewing in St. Charles? Heading back to Illinois for the holidays and it looks like Alter is one of the stops we are making.

It’s an Alarmist product - taste is good but it does seem to bother me a bit more than the others. If I had to guess it may be a result of me drinking too many of them; at 6% they’re a little lighter than some of the others I’ll typically drink so I probably overindulge thinking the alcohol won’t bother me and therein lies the rub.

Never been to Alter but a friend gave me some of their traditional IPA and it was decent.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:43 am 

Alarmist is in my neighborhood. My wife and her friends like to drink there when hiding from people. Sometimes I'll go and the guy remembers my name, like I'm Norm. He gives me a free round. Nice people but I don't love the beer and they don't have food.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
The Division wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Public is awesome....love that place.
BUT....just found a 4-pack of their "Orange Hopsicle" at Woodmans....it tasted more like chocolate covered oranges v. a vanilla based orange creamsicle.

Pine Nanas in Pajamas is a fantastic beer.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
BigW72 wrote:
The Division wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Public is awesome....love that place.
BUT....just found a 4-pack of their "Orange Hopsicle" at Woodmans....it tasted more like chocolate covered oranges v. a vanilla based orange creamsicle.

Pine Nanas in Pajamas is a fantastic beer.

My wife likes the Pine Nanas. Have you tried R'Noggin out next to Uncle Mikes on the frontage road by Woodmans? They make some good stuff there as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:55 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
I like the vibe of R Noggin, but their actual brews are not my style. The quality is good, but it's just not what I like to drink. I'm the same with Only Child in Gurnee....I get what they're doing, it's high quality, but it's not my thing.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:00 pm 

The Division wrote:

It’s an Alarmist product - taste is good but it does seem to bother me a bit more than the others. If I had to guess it may be a result of me drinking too many of them; at 6% they’re a little lighter than some of the others I’ll typically drink so I probably overindulge thinking the alcohol won’t bother me and therein lies the rub.

Never been to Alter but a friend gave me some of their traditional IPA and it was decent.

I had a dopplebock and a robust porter at Alter in St. Charles. Both were really good.

Had a Cold Pizza from Hop Butcher. Was really good, too. Would have liked to try some of their double IPAs. Maybe next time I’m in town…

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

It's 11:50 AM and I just cracked open my first beer of the Christmas holiday. It's gonna be a good day.

I'm starting off with one of my favorite IPAs, Flume by Battery Steele out of Portland (Maine), one of my favorite towns on the Eastern Seaboard.

Flume features two hops that complement one another very well--Mosaic and Citra--and also has a lot of wheat and oats in it. Even though it has an 8% ABV, it drinks like a session beer.

Flume and Orbital Elevator by Burlington Beer Company are two of my favorite shelfies from the Northeast. If you ever see either in the Chicago area, I'd highly recommend snapping them up. Both are highly drinkable and provide great points of comparison for IPAs currently being produced in the Midwest.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:55 pm 

Hopslam season!

Normally my favorite. Maybe I’m getting soft but this year it seems a little heavy. It’s also very easy to find, so I’m wondering if something changed with Bells.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:27 pm 

Hopslam season!

Normally my favorite. Maybe I’m getting soft but this year it seems a little heavy. It’s also very easy to find, so I’m wondering if something changed with Bells.

I think I still have one in the fridge from last year. Time to pick up this year’s version.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

Hopslam season!

Larry Bell, the Bell's founder, retired and sold the brewery in November.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105  Next