It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 ... 105  Next
 Post subject: Re: Beer Suggestions
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:19 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Had these guys this weekend:

Went down too easy. bigfan and will seek out more in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:22 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
You didn’t even try the best ones yet...Cumulus and Stratus.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:27 am 

redskingreg wrote:

weren't available at binnys arlington hts last week. they were at algonquin but i didn't want to chase.

they're definitely on the list.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:09 am 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
T-Bone wrote:
On my path to physical excellence I've cut my beer intake to one six pack a weekend. Picked
Up a new IIPA I've never tried today from New Holland called Hoptronix. Plan on trying a few during the OSU vs PSU game

How did you like it? We went to New Holland in Holland about a month ago. The place is huge. I liked the Hoptronix, but there were other smaller batch beers there I liked better. And New Holland's Dragon's Milk Stout is still one of the best stouts around, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:12 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
SuperMario wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
On my path to physical excellence I've cut my beer intake to one six pack a weekend. Picked
Up a new IIPA I've never tried today from New Holland called Hoptronix. Plan on trying a few during the OSU vs PSU game

How did you like it? We went to New Holland in Holland about a month ago. The place is huge. I liked the Hoptronix, but there were other smaller batch beers there I liked better. And New Holland's Dragon's Milk Stout is still one of the best stouts around, in my opinion.

I thought it was quite good. it was a little on the expensive side for $13 but with a 9% ABV and solid taste I didn't feel like I got ripped off at all.
I'll buy it again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
redskingreg wrote:

This guy gets it. I am a bigfan of Hailstorm.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:44 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Haven't had any Hailstorm but I'm at the point that any IPA marketed as "New England" or "Northeast" style is already on strike 2 for me. So many of the breweries explicitly chasing the Tree/Trillium/Bissell style end up making completely unrefined yeast bombs.

On a more positive note, super excited about Revolution canning the Deep Wood series this year. I'm especially looking forward to the Cafe Deth release this month.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:59 am 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Haven't had any Hailstorm but I'm at the point that any IPA marketed as "New England" or "Northeast" style is already on strike 2 for me. So many of the breweries explicitly chasing the Tree/Trillium/Bissell style end up making completely unrefined yeast bombs.

On a more positive note, super excited about Revolution canning the Deep Wood series this year. I'm especially looking forward to the Cafe Deth release this month.

I get ya. Never had any of the big guys you mention.

I'm just glad there are few beers in the Midwest like M-43 and Hailstorm cloud series where I can sample the style off the shelf.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:16 am 
SuperMario wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Overrated. Massively. The Dragon's Milk Reserve Coffee and Chocolate is what they should be producing as the main one.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:41 am 

Baby McNown wrote:
SuperMario wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Overrated. Massively. The Dragon's Milk Reserve Coffee and Chocolate is what they should be producing as the main one.

To each his own. I am not a coffee drinker, so I personally don't like any porters or stouts that are too coffee focused.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:45 am 

Baby McNown wrote:
SuperMario wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Disagree. For a stout produced and available all year, the standard Dragon's Milk holds up pretty well.

But yes, the reserved stuff is obviously better usually, and extremely hard to find around here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:50 am 

SuperMario wrote:

To each his own. I am not a coffee drinker, so I personally don't like any porters or stouts that are too coffee focused.

same. i remember the time i had KBS thinking it was nasty. oh well, means more coffee beers are available for everyone else.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:54 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
ZephMarshack wrote:

Have you had anything by Foam or Burlington Beer Company?

I've been impressed by both, although my sample size is small.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Tall Midget wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

I've found the IPAs I've had from both of them pretty good, but not mindblowing in the way that Hill and Alchemist hoppy beers still are for me. The same goes for River Roost in White River Junction, which also seems to be getting a lot more hype recently. My sample size for all 3 is pretty small as well though.

Have you tried Tilted Barn? I still haven't made it there yet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:20 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
ZephMarshack wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

I've found the IPAs I've had from both of them pretty good, but not mindblowing in the way that Hill and Alchemist hoppy beers still are for me. The same goes for River Roost in White River Junction, which also seems to be getting a lot more hype recently. My sample size for all 3 is pretty small as well though.

Have you tried Tilted Barn? I still haven't made it there yet.

No Tilted Barn for me. I have tried a couple beers by River Roost, though. While I disliked the Mas Verde IPA, I really enjoyed the Martian Moonhouse IIPA. That ranked among the best beers I had all summer and was one that held its own against some of the Hill Farmstead IPAs I was sampling at the time.

As far as BBC goes, I like It's Complicated Being a Wizard and Orbital Elevator quite a bit, but you're right, they don't match HF for complexity and balance.

Foam stands closer to HF I think, but they've still got a ways to go.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:29 am 

New batches of Cumulus and Stratus dropping this week, KW.

And Foam was awesome. Went there last year.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Kirkwood wrote:
redskingreg wrote:

weren't available at binnys arlington hts last week. they were at algonquin but i didn't want to chase.

I just picked up a 4 pack of the Cirrus at the Binny's off of 83 and Golf. Will try one tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Tad Queasy wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
redskingreg wrote:

I just picked up a 4 pack of the Cirrus at the Binny's off of 83 and Golf. Will try one tonight.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:58 pm 
redskingreg wrote:
New batches of Cumulus and Stratus dropping this week, KW.

And Foam was awesome. Went there last year.

Awesome. I was tired of the let down seeing Stratus on the shelves and then seeing the 7/23 canning date.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:00 pm 
ZephMarshack wrote:

Maplewood is doing some really great work with the "juicy" IPA's

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:40 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
redskingreg wrote:

What did you think Tad?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Baby McNown wrote:
Maplewood is doing some really great work with the "juicy" IPA's

Truth

Son of Juice is outstanding. My wife is not an IPA fan, and she even said she'd order one of those.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:20 pm 

if Fun Size is still on tap at Red Arrow tonight, i might have to indulge. they've had that and Dragon's Milk the past month. two great beers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
I was just going to post about Fun Size from Pollyanna. Had it a couple weeks ago and it was fantastic. Expensive at $18 for a 4 pack but damn was it good.

Side note I won a brewery tour for Pollyanna today for 10 people. Kinda stoked.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:30 am 

i just found out last night (not that it surprised me) that it also makes for an amazing beer float. put some scoops of vanilla ice cream in a glass and add fun size. it's fucking amazing (don't forget to add the hershey's kiss too).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:29 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
W_Z wrote:
i just found out last night (not that it surprised me) that it also makes for an amazing beer float. put some scoops of vanilla ice cream in a glass and add fun size. it's fucking amazing (don't forget to add the hershey's kiss too).

I don't know...there's something about the idea of ice cream added to beer that just seems...weird...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:24 am 

The new Pipeworks bomber is getting good reviews. Fish Food, a collaboration with Tampa Brewing. Anything from their fish Series is usually great.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:39 pm 

redskingreg wrote:
The new Pipeworks bomber is getting good reviews. Fish Food, a collaboration with Tampa Brewing. Anything from their fish Series is usually great.

Crimson Snapper from Pipeworks is one of my favorite beers ever. A double IPA with honey and blood orange.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Picked up an IPA from Denmark called Foggy Geezer. Looks like it has some promise.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:45 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Picked up an IPA from Denmark called Foggy Geezer. Looks like it has some promise.

Had it last weekend. Bulldog's Ale House in Algonquin had it on tap. It was really good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 ... 105  Next