It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 1:43 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Just bought the Weber Charcoal Heat Controller...used it for chicken wings and they turned out amazing. There's a second piece that is like a lid which is for indirect heat slow cooking, but I have the Smokey Mountain for that.
I had not used my kettle for a few years, so it was enjoyable to bring that back out of the garage loft.
https://www.weber.com/US/en/charcoal/ch ... /7666.html

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 1:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
BigW72 wrote:
Just bought the Weber Charcoal Heat Controller...used it for chicken wings and they turned out amazing. There's a second piece that is like a lid which is for indirect heat slow cooking, but I have the Smokey Mountain for that.
I had not used my kettle for a few years, so it was enjoyable to bring that back out of the garage loft.
https://www.weber.com/US/en/charcoal/ch ... /7666.html

That looks promising, thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
anyone ever smoke a duck ?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:49 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I'm likely going to do a brisket next week but I haven't really been using the Traeger smoker too much, and honestly am thinking about selling it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:50 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
T-Bone wrote:
I'm likely going to do a brisket next week but I haven't really been using the Traeger smoker too much, and honestly am thinking about selling it.

Mine is Pit Boss but similarly I was down in use this year. I don’t think I’ll sell. Would rather find time.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:03 am 

Put a medium sized brisket on at 4am so we will see what happens.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:56 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
T-Bone wrote:

Pics?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:23 pm 

T-Bone wrote:

New Years day looks high of 33 5-10 mph winds.....brisket time!

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:24 am 
1000 CLUB

T-Bone wrote:

What happened?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:30 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

What happened?

you have a lot of investment in this :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:53 am 
1000 CLUB

I enjoy following T-Bone's exploits.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:09 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

What happened?

Meh, it was nothing special. I think I’ll try pulled pork once more and if that doesn’t work out, probably just sell it off.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:23 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

What happened?

Meh, it was nothing special. I think I’ll try pulled pork once more and if that doesn’t work out, probably just sell it off.

Dry and overdone or something else?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:16 pm 

love you man but if you can't get pulled pork done right then yea sell it :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:42 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
people are so intimidated by briskets. my brother had never cooked one and was like what do i do? Trim it up quite a bit. render the fat in a pan until you get a good half cup of tallow. I told him salt and pepper, smoke until 180, douse the foil/paper in the tallow and wrap it finish it to 200-205. then wrap it in 2 big towels and set it in a cooler for 4 hours. done.

he was like what temp. i was like i don't care. 225, 300. only depends on how much time you have. but get it to 200+ 4 hours before you eat.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:12 am 

Bagels wrote:
love you man but if you can't get pulled pork done right then yea sell it :lol:

I don’t disagree.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Sam’s - Oglesby, IL
hnd wrote:
people are so intimidated by briskets. my brother had never cooked one and was like what do i do? Trim it up quite a bit. render the fat in a pan until you get a good half cup of tallow. I told him salt and pepper, smoke until 180, douse the foil/paper in the tallow and wrap it finish it to 200-205. then wrap it in 2 big towels and set it in a cooler for 4 hours. done.

he was like what temp. i was like i don't care. 225, 300. only depends on how much time you have. but get it to 200+ 4 hours before you eat.

This.

All of the smokehouses (like Franklin) put some beef tallow on it when they wrap it. I smoked a pork butt a few weeks ago and put a bit of bacon fat on it when I wrapped it. Was the best pulled pork I made and as good as I could buy in a restaurant.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:32 pm 

I have said this before but here is a tip I learned. Especially true for smaller get together things. Put one or two chuck roasts instead of the brisket. Fat melts and magic happens. It fabulous.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:38 am 

pittmike wrote:
I have said this before but here is a tip I learned. Especially true for smaller get together things. Put one or two chuck roasts instead of the brisket. Fat melts and magic happens. It fabulous.

I was looking for a tri tip to smoke like a brisket but couldn’t find it. Found another cut that was similar and it turned out really good. Should have trimmed the fat cap but otherwise, was delicious. And only took 6 hours.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:21 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
The Division wrote:
hnd wrote:

This.

All of the smokehouses (like Franklin) put some beef tallow on it when they wrap it. I smoked a pork butt a few weeks ago and put a bit of bacon fat on it when I wrapped it. Was the best pulled pork I made and as good as I could buy in a restaurant.

i've been doing tallow for a few years but the one thing that changed everything for me was holding meats when done. I got a big ole electric roaster that I will try and hold meat at 180 for 4+. up to 10 hours no issue.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:21 pm 

hnd wrote:
The Division wrote:
hnd wrote:

This.

i've been doing tallow for a few years but the one thing that changed everything for me was holding meats when done. I got a big ole electric roaster that I will try and hold meat at 180 for 4+. up to 10 hours no issue.

I usually wrap in towels and place in a cooler. I’m sure it doesn’t stay at 180 but it probably ends up at 140 when it’s serving time.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:26 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
To recap, people wait an entire day for a meal and don't mind wrapping their meal in towels just so they can wait some more.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:11 pm 

Nardi wrote:
To recap, people wait an entire day for a meal and don't mind wrapping their meal in towels just so they can wait some more.

Good BBQ is not for the impatient...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
One of my goals in life is to eventually cook a brisket.

I’m targeting 2037.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:29 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
One of my goals in life is to eventually cook a brisket.

I’m targeting 2037.

It’s good to set goals…

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:36 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
A good read and a recipe that has been reliable for me: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/ ... xas-style/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:19 am 

Does Dr. Ken now post pictures of his smoked meat on the secret facebook page?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:21 pm 

hnd wrote:
The Division wrote:
hnd wrote:

This.

I have not tried this with tallow, but will on my next cook.

Opinions vary on when to wrap and how long to hold in the cooler wrapped at the end. Here's what I've experienced....wrapping at 165 is great for flavor and making it nice and juicy. Donwside is that it shreds apart and does not slice like traditional brisket. Also lose out a little on bark. Waiting until 180-185 to wrap gets good bark and you get the expected brisket slices at the expense of it being a little dry. I discussed this with a colleague who lives in TX and has done competition brisket and catering...

He definitely said to wrap at 165, but to watch how long it sits in the cooler at the end. Too long in the cooler and it's overcooking and that's where you lose the good brisket slices. He said pull at 200-205...no later than 205 max. Only an hour wrapped in cooler. If you are waiting to eat yet take out. but do not leave it in the cooler that long.

Next cook i'll wrap at 170-175 and limit the cooler time.

I'll also add I prefer wrapping in foil v. butcher paper. More juicey with foil. More smoke with butcher paper.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38