It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:41 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
hnd wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
What temp was the smoker holding?

what kind of smoker?

late to the party here by my guess is your smoker ran hotter than you think. (which isn't a problem if you know)

lunch briskets, I finish at midnight and put in a big roaster at 175 and let it go.

evening briskets, I like to finish by morning and do the same.

briskets are "hard" but only in that its nearly impossible to time. so plan to have it done at least a few 2 hours early. 4 hours in a cooler is fine. or its done right on time. I take all briskets to 200-205 degrees internally. pull it don't cut until the internal temp has dropped at least back to 160. i prefer 150.

Yes at 200-205.
Yes with at least 2 hours wrapped in cooler.

I use a Weber Smokey Mountain....there are more convenient tools out there but nothing compares with the results.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
hnd wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

what kind of smoker?

late to the party here by my guess is your smoker ran hotter than you think. (which isn't a problem if you know)

lunch briskets, I finish at midnight and put in a big roaster at 175 and let it go.

briskets are "hard" but only in that its nearly impossible to time. so plan to have it done at least a few 2 hours early. 4 hours in a cooler is fine. or its done right on time. I take all briskets to 200-205 degrees internally. pull it don't cut until the internal temp has dropped at least back to 160. i prefer 150.

It's a Traeger 575 Pro. It has consistently smoked faster than I thought. I have a probe that i use that plugs into the smoker but I am starting to not trust it completely. Maybe I will get a secondary probe that I can use. Just not going to put any more money into this "hobby" right now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:00 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
BigW72 wrote:
hnd wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

what kind of smoker?

Yes at 200-205.
Yes with at least 2 hours wrapped in cooler.

I use a Weber Smokey Mountain....there are more convenient tools out there but nothing compares with the results.

are you probing at the grate or using the thermometers sticking out of the lid?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:03 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
T-Bone wrote:
hnd wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

what kind of smoker?

It's a Traeger 575 Pro. It has consistently smoked faster than I thought. I have a probe that i use that plugs into the smoker but I am starting to not trust it completely. Maybe I will get a secondary probe that I can use. Just not going to put any more money into this "hobby" right now.

i've run traeger and now lousiana grills and I do not trust either chamber temps. it consistently ran about 25-35 degrees hotter than it said. i bought a little oven thermometer put it in there, and I also have a few old mavericks laying around to check.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:26 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Always set a cheap oven thermometer right on the shelf where the meat is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:23 am 

ThermoWorks Smoke
there's a probe for the ambient temp that just plugs in to the side of the smokey mountain. I trust this more than the gauge on the lid.

https://www.thermoworks.com/smoke/?utm_ ... fiEALw_wcB

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:27 am 

I have that too. The Bluetooth is kinda sketchy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:49 am 

GoldenJet wrote:
I have that too. The Bluetooth is kinda sketchy.

Bluetooth is ok....just can have a delay, but nothing significant.

I did, however, have an issue with the meat probes. Ruined 2 of them from cleaning....I won't make that mistake again.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Sam’s - Oglesby, IL
GoldenJet wrote:
One of the tricks is to poke the meat thermometer through the wrap into the brisket. If it doesn't slide in with zero resistance, like a hot knife through soft butter, it's not finished...even at temperature. It needs time to break down the connective tissue in the meat.

Love my smoker, but this is why I also love combining it with the sous vide technique. You can really dial in your serving time and save a lot of frustration.

What size of brisket are you doing the sous vide on? If it's a big one, how do you wrap it? For smaller cuts of meat, I use a zip top bag but not sure how I'd do that for a large cut like a brisket.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:49 pm 

The Division wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
One of the tricks is to poke the meat thermometer through the wrap into the brisket. If it doesn't slide in with zero resistance, like a hot knife through soft butter, it's not finished...even at temperature. It needs time to break down the connective tissue in the meat.

Love my smoker, but this is why I also love combining it with the sous vide technique. You can really dial in your serving time and save a lot of frustration.

What size of brisket are you doing the sous vide on? If it's a big one, how do you wrap it? For smaller cuts of meat, I use a zip top bag but not sure how I'd do that for a large cut like a brisket.

You need these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00851QSDO/re ... HPFDNXYN6D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:51 pm 

I use an old cooler for my big sous vide stuff like a trimmed, whole packer brisket. Works great.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:20 pm 

GoldenJet wrote:
The Division wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

You need these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00851QSDO/re ... HPFDNXYN6D

Ah ha, that makes sense!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
GoldenJet wrote:
I use an old cooler for my big sous vide stuff like a trimmed, whole packer brisket. Works great.

What am I looking at?

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:47 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

What am I looking at?

GJ’s sous vide bath

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:02 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Why is it still so God damn hard to post a picture here?

Anyways I smoked a 6lb beef tenderloin for dinner on New Year's eve and then reverse seared it. It was absolutely perfect.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:20 am 

I decided to go ahead and purchase a separate WiFi thermometer system for the smoker. The inconsistencies I have been getting from my smoker is maddening and I am convinced it is partially attributable to the plug in probe that goes into the Traeger. I have seen some other complaints on BBQ forums. I went ahead and purchased an InkBird unit that has up to 4 probes and should work via WiFi so I can monitor anywhere I want during the cook. Anyone else try this brand or heard anything about them? They get pretty decent reviews and were much less expensive than the ThermoWorks unit, like almost $150 less. Figured if I can get this dialed in for $100 it will be worth it. I told my wife if I can't get this ironed out this summer I am just going to sell the Traeger.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
can i smoke a cornish hen ?

impulse buy . got 2

i don't think i've had since my mom made them for me, despite my trolling in the chicken thread

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:52 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
What is that, like a little chicken?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Bagels wrote:
can i smoke a cornish hen ?

impulse buy . got 2

i don't think i've had since my mom made them for me, despite my trolling in the chicken thread

I usually go with the rotisserie for those.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:51 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Smoking 2 tri-tips right now based on bigfan's suggestion that it is the best beef to smoke.

I will report back.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:28 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Smoking 2 tri-tips right now based on bigfan's suggestion that it is the best beef to smoke.

I will report back.

Tri-tip is wonderful.....smoke or sous-vide. Delicious.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Probably my favorite cut of beef. Never sold well when I worked out west so I was almost always able to get one of the pulls for cheap every week and we would grill it out back Rare find out here but finally found a source when the fancy hits me. Can’t say I’ve smoked one though. Maybe next time the wife leaves town.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:16 pm 

BigW72 wrote:

I will report back.

Tri-tip is wonderful.....smoke or sous-vide. Delicious.

I only made it a couple of times, but done right it IS delicious.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:17 am 

Even though it's a different cut of meat....it's really a great alternative to Brisket. Smaller cut of meat, so less time to smoke.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:32 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I don't like to pat myself on the back. Yes, I do. Who are we kidding?

But it turned out fantastic.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
I don't like to pat myself on the back. Yes, I do. Who are we kidding?

But it turned out fantastic.

Looks fantastic! Smoking some strip steaks tonight. Always one of the families favorites.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:09 am 

Likely making a plan for Memorial Day with the wife tonight. I have a couple of frozen briskets so will likely thaw one out and also do some chicken. I assume some of you others are going to be getting some meat on the smokers..... what you got on the menu?

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:51 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Likely making a plan for Memorial Day with the wife tonight. I have a couple of frozen briskets so will likely thaw one out and also do some chicken. I assume some of you others are going to be getting some meat on the smokers..... what you got on the menu?

Will be firing up a pork butt for pulled pork tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:18 am 

Took out a brisket to start thawing last night. I am used to doing large full packers and the piece I pulled from the freezer we got from my wife's boss and appears to be a pretty good sized flat.
I'm going to have to look into some tips on cooking this as I am assuming it will smoke much more quickly and I want to be sure it doesn't dry out. I am open to any one else that may have some
ideas as well. She gave us two other similar cuts that are also in the freezer. I was at Costco last night and they had some really large briskets there, like over $100. I forgot to look at the price
per pound but they had to be over 15 lbs each. Monsters

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:34 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
i'm going to Tischler's here in Plainfield at lunchtime to get some burgers and brats...i'm certainly not doing a brisket but last time i was there i saw they had tri-tip, might do that and a few chickens

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next