It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 38  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:24 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Mine was an offset.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Bagels wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Just looked at the Weber Smoky Mountain Cooker and you tube videos. Seems fool proof and quite nice.

yea that's what I have and it is pretty nice
it is fairly fool proof...the only thing that took me a bit to get the hang of was how to regulate the vents to maintain a steady temp
When you're doing something that's only a few hours like chicken it's not too big of a deal but if you're doing a ~12 hour smoke on something like pulled pork or brisket it's a lot more important

It can be tricky to get a steady temp, especially if you're looking for smoking temp (<250 deg). Ignore the directions that come with the WSM.
For a low temp fire don't put more than about 15 lit coals on your loaded fire ring. Otherwise your fire will be too hot. It's a lot easier to boost the
temp than lower it. I spent ~$150 on the bottom of the line automatic temperature control from BBQ Guru called the PartyQ. You set the temp
you want and a little fan blows on the fire until the sensor attached to the grate reads the desired temp. Not a necessity, and purists may turn up
their noses, but it helps at competitions (almost every team uses some kind of auto temp control) especially for me and my teammates who do the
best we can, but don't take it too seriously. We do 2 or 3 a year and rarely practice.

A great resource for WSM info and BBQ info in general is The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board, tvwbb.com. Great message board with techniques, recipes,
advice on ways to modify your WSM and lots of BBQ food pron pictures. It's run by a guy in California and not affiliated with Weber-Stephens.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:02 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Don, if you're a podcast guy, I highly recommend the BBQ Central Show podcast. It's heavily advertised but still a good listen.

If you ever do a competition around here, I'd enjoy watching you guys do your thing. I've been interested in trying it out but I hate doing anything going in blind.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:39 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
don12x12 wrote:
312player wrote:
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

That looks delicious.. I've been watching a show Pitmaster or something and thinking bout trying to smoke.. Can you recommend a cheap but good one?

I have a 22" Weber Smoky Mountain Cooker aka a bullet. There are 3 sizes: 14.5", 18.5" and 22". Prices go from $200 - $400. There are cheaper
smokers but most will disappoint. We use two 22" WSMs for BBQ competitions. Load it with charcoal and wood chunks and it will go for 8 hours.
We used to use a 7 ft Lang trailer smoker. Great cooker, but you had to feed it wood every 20 - 30 minutes. It's nice to get a little sleep during a
cook. There are other decent smokers. Just don't buy a cheap Brinkmann. A good catalog is firecraft.com.

Good website -
What do you think of the 99$ 'Good One ' Open Range SS patio smoker ?

Too cheap to be good?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
don12x12 wrote:
It can be tricky to get a steady temp, especially if you're looking for smoking temp (<250 deg). Ignore the directions that come with the WSM.

I feel obligated to disagree with this. :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
8)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:26 pm 

312player wrote:
don12x12 wrote:
312player wrote:

That looks delicious.. I've been watching a show Pitmaster or something and thinking bout trying to smoke.. Can you recommend a cheap but good one?

I have a 22" Weber Smoky Mountain Cooker aka a bullet. There are 3 sizes: 14.5", 18.5" and 22". Prices go from $200 - $400. There are cheaper
smokers but most will disappoint. We use two 22" WSMs for BBQ competitions. Load it with charcoal and wood chunks and it will go for 8 hours.
We used to use a 7 ft Lang trailer smoker. Great cooker, but you had to feed it wood every 20 - 30 minutes. It's nice to get a little sleep during a
cook. There are other decent smokers. Just don't buy a cheap Brinkmann. A good catalog is firecraft.com.

Good website -
What do you think of the 99$ 'Good One ' Open Range SS patio smoker ?

Too cheap to be good?

I'm not familiar with 'Good One' smokers. I looked at the Firecraft web site. The only thing that was $99 was a stainless steel side shelf to add to
one of their $800 - $1500 cookers. At that price they better be good. Of course big cookers can cost much more. Did you see something I didn't?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:55 pm 

Don, if you're a podcast guy, I highly recommend the BBQ Central Show podcast. It's heavily advertised but still a good listen.

If you ever do a competition around here, I'd enjoy watching you guys do your thing. I've been interested in trying it out but I hate doing anything going in blind.

I don't do podcasts but I might check it out.

The recent PBS series "BBQ with Franklin" with Aaron Franklin from Austin, TX was cool. Lots of good info. It's available on demand.

Will definitely let you know if we're close by. This year we only did 2 comps. We were in Dwight at the beginning of May and in Kenosha at the end
of August. There are a few other ones more local, but we usually have trouble fitting them into our schedules. Some of these teams are going all
over the place every weekend, we just can't make that kind of commitment (jobs, families, lives, etc.). We're always happy to have visitors, and
share what we've made after turn in, as well as a libation or five.

Of course that assumes you're willing to slum with three over 50 Northwestern fraternity brothers. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:11 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
No, you are right.. Its an attachment. That guy Stump is a great cook, I have seen him on Pitmasters a few times..his smokers are really nice but out of my price range. I think I'm just going to make a cheap one for under 150$ .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:38 pm 

As promised, a bump to let you know that we'll be at the competition down in Dwight on the 5th & 6th. It's at a park on old Rt. 66.
Dwight is roughly where I-55 and IL-47 intersect. Not a bad drive. We're always happy to have visitors. The real action is of course
on Saturday. Turn ins start with chicken at noon and end with brisket at 1:30. Friday is a lot of prep and heavy drinking.

A little closer to the palatial north shore manse of the good doctor will be the competition in Kenosha on August 26 & 27. This one
is right on the lake at the park by the museum.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:41 pm 

don12x12 wrote:

As promised, a bump to let you know that we'll be at the competition down in Dwight on the 5th & 6th. It's at a park on old Rt. 66.
Dwight is roughly where I-55 and IL-47 intersect. Not a bad drive. We're always happy to have visitors. The real action is of course
on Saturday. Turn ins start with chicken at noon and end with brisket at 1:30. Friday is a lot of prep and heavy drinking.

A little closer to the palatial north shore manse of the good doctor will be the competition in Kenosha on August 26 & 27. This one
is right on the lake at the park by the museum.

Cool. But, the 5th and 6th of May? Thursday and Friday?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:51 pm 

I looked it up. Looks like the 6th and 7th.

I might be up for checking it all out. Would Saturday morning sometime be a good chance to check things out? I don't want to get in the way.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:58 pm 

Late morning on Saturday would be fine. You won't be in the way. There's plenty of room. You definitely want to be around for
the turn-ins. Carving the meat and building the turn-in boxes every half hour. Most important is the noshing on leftovers once the box is gone.
You can walk around and check out other teams, too.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/l ... story.html

I'm thinking of entering the Lake Bluff Ribfest this year...never tried smoking meat before. This thread looks to be a good spot for help.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:20 am 

We gonna do this!?!?

Kind of bummed. I wanted to do some pork belly but the place didn't have it and I didn't have time to track one down. Got some ribs going on later.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:12 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
I tripped over some large pork belly pieces at Costco yesterday.

I had never seem them there before.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:35 am 

pizza_Place: Caseys
Just got a smoker couple weeks ago. Doing a turkey breast today. Been in brine overnight. Should have bought smoker long ago but did not think I would use enough to justify purchase. Wrong on that one!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:05 am 

It looks so good, even the Virgin Mary is glowing.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:08 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
What's in the spray bottles?

Standard market has pork belly.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:11 am 

Spaulding wrote:

Standard market has pork belly.

Water for flare-ups.

Apple juice to hit the pork.

Standard Market? What am I...made of money??

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
Turkey beast turned out excellent. Never roasting again ever.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:36 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
It looks so good, even the Virgin Mary is glowing.

Of course she is.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Spaulding wrote:

Vodka.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:56 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:24 pm 

Chus wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

Vodka.

I keep those on ice.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:54 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
so i got an idea from watching some tv on a rub and tried it out and it was very good....its very different but my extended family loved it. i usually have my go to true southern pork rub that i use on ribs along with a sweet sauce. i also have a pineapple glazed rib recipe that works well.

if anyone wants to try it, here is my new rub concoction

3 T - Lemon Pepper
3 T - Tumeric
2 T - Sea Salt
2 T - Cardamom
1 T - Ground Cloves
2 T - Granulated Garlic
2 T - cayanne pepper

if you like spicy take the cayanne to 3T.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:18 am 

has anyone ever smoked lamb shoulder or leg of lamb ?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:38 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Went to a BBQ competition last weekend up here in Kenosha. My wife and I each purchased a tasting card for $10 and were able to try over a dozen different samples of
pulled pork. Pretty interesting and we had a good time. Would have been fun to wander around there when they were doing the cooking and ask some questions. The
group I voted for ended up winning and her pick took 2nd. ( We voted in the Peoples Choice category )

http://grillgames.org/kcbs/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:07 pm 

We competed at the Kenosha contest. We didn't participate in the "People's Choice" portion. In fact we were long gone before that part started. Rain from about 1am to 10am Sat. Rain and BBQ are a bad combo. We're not super serious and our results show it. We did have fun though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:56 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
don12x12 wrote:
We competed at the Kenosha contest. We didn't participate in the "People's Choice" portion. In fact we were long gone before that part started. Rain from about 1am to 10am Sat. Rain and BBQ are a bad combo. We're not super serious and our results show it. We did have fun though.

Yeah it was pretty sloppy walking around the judging area. First time we had been to one of these and it was a pretty good experience.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 38  Next