It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 38  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Catching that runoff I see, excellent! MILF Pics coming soon?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
You got any video of you rubbing your meat?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:27 pm 

Damn spaulding! :shock:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:28 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I do. Wide-angle.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:35 pm 

I'm sure it's as substantial as your wealth.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:01 am 

How come we got no pictures of the finished product? :(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:09 am 

pizza_Place: Investigating
:lol: This took an odd turn. Keep em clean. We don't need a CSFMB Weiner Gate starring our man from Kenilworth.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:17 am 

beni hanna wrote:
:lol: This took an odd turn. Keep em clean. We don't need a CSFMB Weiner Gate starring our man from Kenilworth.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:20 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Here you go. Turned out great. Forgot to get a picture of my spatchcock...chicken, which didn't turn out as well but was still OK.

Ribs had great flavor but still need work to get the tenderness.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:23 am 

Damn, and now I am really hungry. That smoke ring is perfect. Nice job, Doc. :salut:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:26 am 

Agree, nice smoke ring. Looks great!

Please, no pics of your spatchcock ring.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:34 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Very nice pictures, Dr. I think if you brine your ribs and leave them on the smoker for another 45 minutes, you will achieve the tenderness you are seeking without sacrificing any moistness.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:33 am 

I'm not doing something right with the ribs. I've never thought to brine them. I didn't think that was really a rib thing.

I have seen people do 2 hours on the smoker, then foil them with some apple juice for 2 more hours, then another hour unwrapped on the smoker. I didn't like that idea since I like the idea of doing the whole thing on the grill without changing things for some reason - just feels like if you're going to be out there kind of thing. But, I did reheat my ribs yesterday by putting them in foil with the apple juice and they definitely were more tender after having done so. So, maybe I'll try that next time.

But, I know you're supposed to get the pull-back on the end of the rib and mine just don't get there. I had them on the smoker for 6-7 hours at 220-235. Maybe, that's just still not enough time?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:37 am 

BTW, the BBQ sauce is really good. It's more of a vinegar-based sauce with a little kick to it.

If you are interested, it ends up being a little thicker than you might think so you might want to adjust a little if you like it thinner which is what I think I'll do next time -

Ingredients (double batch):

• 2 cup prepared yellow mustard
• 1 cup sugar
• 1/2 cup light brown sugar
• 1-1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
• 1/2 cup water
• 4 tablespoons chili powder
• 2 teaspoon black pepper
• 2 teaspoon white pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
• 1 teaspoon soy sauce
• 4 tablespoons butter
• 2 tablespoon liquid smoke (hickory flavoring)

Mix all except soy, butter and smoke. Simmer 30 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 more minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
I'm not doing something right with the ribs. I've never thought to brine them. I didn't think that was really a rib thing.

I have seen people do 2 hours on the smoker, then foil them with some apple juice for 2 more hours, then another hour unwrapped on the smoker. I didn't like that idea since I like the idea of doing the whole thing on the grill without changing things for some reason - just feels like if you're going to be out there kind of thing. But, I did reheat my ribs yesterday by putting them in foil with the apple juice and they definitely were more tender after having done so. So, maybe I'll try that next time.

But, I know you're supposed to get the pull-back on the end of the rib and mine just don't get there. I had them on the smoker for 6-7 hours at 220-235. Maybe, that's just still not enough time?

220 6-7 hours more than enough time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:08 pm 

we braise ours first then grill. probably not as good as grill all day but good enough.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:52 am 

I'm lame but I start mine in foil to cook/steam and then take them out for the last hour to get caramelized/smoked.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:03 am 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
I'm lame but I start mine in foil to cook/steam and then take them out for the last hour to get caramelized/smoked.

I think you should smoke them a while before foiling them.

I'm pretty sure the smoke penetrates into the meat the most in the first hour or two of cooking.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:06 am 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:

I think you should smoke them a while before foiling them.

I'm pretty sure the smoke penetrates into the meat the most in the first hour or two of cooking.

I agree with you - my wife doesn't like smoky ribs so I tend to just get a flavor on top of them versus strong flavors.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:46 am 
1000 CLUB

Not many people brine ribs, but I think this technique works great for them, particularly since it's so easy to dry the meat out. When you brine, you give yourself a margin for error that you will not have otherwise. You don't need to brine them for more than an hour in a simple salt and sugar solution.

I also brine my pork shoulders overnight before smoking them. For that cut, I use an apple cider, brown sugar, and salt solution.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:02 am 

Interesting.

I knew not putting you on ignore would pay off someday.

But those ribs better be damn good for all the other damn words I've had to read.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:19 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
I have used a brine for my pork shoulder for years. I use some of the brine to baste the roast throughout the cooking process.

Doc, how long do you let them set with the rub on them? I usually give them at least 8 hours to rest in the fridge after I dry rub them. I also shake on some worcestershire sauce a few times during cooking. I use the cheap stuff for this. The flavor is secondary. I don't waste the expensive stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:21 am 
1000 CLUB

I usually do 6-8 hours with the rub on in the fridge.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:24 am 
1000 CLUB

Hey Reason, there's about 30 MILFs raving about you.

That's not at all surprising to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:26 am 

Mr. Reason wrote:
Doc, how long do you let them set with the rub on them? I usually give them at least 8 hours to rest in the fridge after I dry rub them. I also shake on some worcestershire sauce a few times during cooking. I use the cheap stuff for this. The flavor is secondary. I don't waste the expensive stuff.

Usually I prepare them the night before, so about 12 hours. This last time, though, the ribs were a last minute addition to the menu so I basically put the rub on and then put them on the smoker about 30 minutes later. In each case, I wrap them in plastic wrap after the rub is applied.

As they smoke, I usually hit them with a mop sauce about every hour. The mop is basically an apple vinegar/apple cider mix with 3/4 cup of the rub mixed in, a couple bay leaves, and a few other things.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:27 am 
1000 CLUB

Tall Midget wrote:
I usually do 6-8 hours with the rub on in the fridge.

Yeah, you have to give the meat time to accept the rub. Water content is not what makes slow cooked meat moist. It's all the wonderful connective tissue that takes care of that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:27 am 

Mr. Reason wrote:
Hey Reason, there's about 30 MILFs raving about you.

That's not at all surprising to me.

You seem to have found a period among the MILFs that I didn't know was there. Seems like your luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:30 am 
1000 CLUB

Mr. Reason wrote:

Usually I prepare them the night before, so about 12 hours. This last time, though, the ribs were a last minute addition to the menu so I basically put the rub on and then put them on the smoker about 30 minutes later. In each case, I wrap them in plastic wrap after the rub is applied.

As they smoke, I usually hit them with a mop sauce about every hour. The mop is basically an apple vinegar/apple cider mix with 3/4 cup of the rub mixed in, a couple bay leaves, and a few other things.

Well, sounds like you're doing the right things. I have found temperature control is most important when cooking ribs. I try to keep the temp under 250 at all times.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:31 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
This all sounds delicious but also it sounds like far too much work.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:33 am 
1000 CLUB

Hank Scorpio wrote:
This all sounds delicious but also it sounds like far too much work.

Hank, this type of cooking is a journey, not just a destination. There's nothing I enjoy more than spending a day fucking around with food...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 38  Next