It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 38  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:12 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Got to the critical point - finishing off the shoulder and putting the finishing glaze on the ribs - rarely do I coordinate the timing so perfectly.

Then, a monsoon appears out of nowhere on my house. It didn't even show up on the radar until it was over 15 minutes later. Wind, lightning, rain...and then it was gone.

It was literally the only thing on the radar in Northern Illinois, on my house, at the worst possible time. Damn it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:55 pm 

Bad day all around then. Slipped, fell and took a head shot. I think the skirt steak came out ok, have no clue about the wings.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:46 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Yikes. Hope you’re OK, RR.

More importantly, hope those wings came out OK.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:05 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Regular Reader wrote:
Slipped, fell and took a head shot.

The good thing is no one will know the difference.

I kid. Hope you're ok.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:43 am 

Dr. Ken Jr. I wanted a steak for his "go off to college" meal.

So, going to smoke and reverse-sear some 2" tomahawk steaks. Looking forward to this.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:44 pm 

Turned out great.

2” tomahawks about 3 lbs/each. Sprinkle both sides with salt about 30-45 minutes ahead of time to let it just soak in. Then, brush some olive oil and rub in some salt and pepper on both sides.

Smoke at 225 for about 80 minutes, internal temp of 118 or so. Take them off and brush with melted butter and reseason with salt and pepper gently.

Burn them on direct flame about 1 minute per side to crust them up. Let them sit for 10 minutes. Internal temp to 138. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:56 pm 

Looks right. I saw a steak "aged" with blue cheese for a day, then pan seared with butter, thyme and rosemary.

May try that one the next time I'm up for a proper steak. And fwiw, now my youngest is trying to figure out a way to get an invitation to try and walk on at Chambana. To follow his gf. :eye:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:59 pm 

I’ll see you on Dad’s Weekend.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
I tried doing complicated stuff at home. I have up and now just order out. I do the things I really love myself. Burgers. I have one of those gadgets so you can stuff n burger. Doing all sorts.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:41 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

Looking forward to it. Ugh.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:49 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

He gives the ol' UofI four solid years of anchoring a couple Rose Bowl Champions and I won't even care if he goes to the Saints.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:56 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

He gives the ol' UofI four solid years of anchoring a couple Rose Bowl Champions and I won't even care if he goes to the Saints.

If he could do that, I'm retiring to a coach house on the RR Jr 2 Estates.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:58 pm 

Have him build a 2nd coach house and we can go out for some real Cajun food.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:03 pm 

Creole. :D :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:04 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

That too.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:07 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

That too.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
Regular Reader wrote:

Fucking Christ, there goes the neighborhood.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:50 am 

Trying some beef short ribs that the butcher recommended. Never tried this before. I have no real plan.

Let's get creative.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:55 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Trying some beef short ribs that the butcher recommended. Never tried this before. I have no real plan.

Let's get creative.

I've never smoked short ribs before. What's the rationale in choosing short ribs over full-sized ribs? Let us know how this turns out! I love short ribs on the grill!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:28 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
I've never smoked short ribs before. What's the rationale in choosing short ribs over full-sized ribs? Let us know how this turns out! I love short ribs on the grill!

As you know with me, there is no rationale in most things.

We had another family party yesterday so I decided to do the tomahawk steaks again since they turned out so well the first time. The butcher, seeing me buy the tomahawks, led me over to these short ribs and swore they were amazing. So, I thought, "what the hell" I'll try them out. They are USDA Prime so I better not f*** them up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:36 pm 
1000 CLUB

Tall Midget wrote:

As you know with me, there is no rationale in most things.

We had another family party yesterday so I decided to do the tomahawk steaks again since they turned out so well the first time. The butcher, seeing me buy the tomahawks, led me over to these short ribs and swore they were amazing. So, I thought, "what the hell" I'll try them out. They are USDA Prime so I better not f*** them up.

Prime, nice!

I'll definitely be interested to hear about your cooking time, temp, and results. It doesn't look like you applied a rub. Is that right?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:38 pm 

Decided to go with olive oil, salt & pepper. Try to get the flavor of the meat.

Read up on the best wood so I'm doing apple wood and an apple cider/juice spray. The review I read said it would not overpower the meat flavor.

I'm trying 225 and just seeing. It seems to be cooking quicker than anticipated. They've been on for about an hour so far.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:48 pm 

Have you broken into the Tito's yet?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:08 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
Have you broken into the Tito's yet?

I plead a fifth.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:18 pm 

Take my ribs, please.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:27 pm 

Getting good color but need to break the fat down more so after 2 hours, I'm putting them in a catering tin on a rack with apple juice/cider vinegar mix and butter and covering them with foil. See how that goes.

Threw on some ribeyes as they go.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:11 pm 
1000 CLUB

Decided to go with olive oil, salt & pepper. Try to get the flavor of the meat.

Read up on the best wood so I'm doing apple wood and an apple cider/juice spray. The review I read said it would not overpower the meat flavor.

I'm trying 225 and just seeing. It seems to be cooking quicker than anticipated. They've been on for about an hour so far.

Good decision on the seasoning, I think. Short ribs have such a rich, intense beefy flavor that a rub would have been superfluous. Your choice of wood interests me. I usually go with a mixture of Oak and hickory when I'm doing beef whereas I like a hickory-apple combination for pork. Let us know how the apple works with beef.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:30 pm 

I agree with you on the wood choices. Those are my defaults also.

Ribs ended up as kind of a fail. I overcooked them. Mrs. Dr. Ken and I think we can salvage them in an Italian pasta sauce. She liked the ribs but I didn't really. It's hard to get a temp on those since the meat is typically not thick enough to trust the thermometer. They were OK. The flavor was still there.

Lunch was salvaged by the ribeyes. This is really the Dr. Ken-....fool-proof method of cooking a good, thick steak. Get a 1.5-2" steak and smoke it at 225 for an hour or so until the temp gets to 120, then char them on direct flame to your preference on the exterior (at least 1-2 mins per side). They are thick enough that the fire doesn't really cook the inside too much. I like to char them until the fat browns over/catches fire a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:55 pm 
1000 CLUB

I agree with you on the wood choices. Those are my defaults also.

Ribs ended up as kind of a fail. I overcooked them. Mrs. Dr. Ken and I think we can salvage them in an Italian pasta sauce. She liked the ribs but I didn't really. It's hard to get a temp on those since the meat is typically not thick enough to trust the thermometer. They were OK. The flavor was still there.

Lunch was salvaged by the ribeyes. This is really the Dr. Ken-....fool-proof method of cooking a good, thick steak. Get a 1.5-2" steak and smoke it at 225 for an hour or so until the temp gets to 120, then char them on direct flame to your preference on the exterior (at least 1-2 mins per side). They are thick enough that the fire doesn't really cook the inside too much. I like to char them until the fat browns over/catches fire a bit.

Sorry to hear about the carnage, Doc. It's tough to lose quality beef like that. Rather than going with a pasta sauce, I suggest getting some high-quality (hecho a mano) flour tortillas, shredding up the short ribs, and making some nice quesadillas. Put that together with some homemade guacamole, charred veggies (scallions, onions, peppers) and yellow rice, and you have a satisfying meal.

Last edited by Tall Midget on Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:02 pm 

Sometimes I laugh at much we think alike.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 38  Next