It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 38  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:53 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
SpiralStairs wrote:
Trying to pass off two 4lb butts as if they were a single 8lb butt is almost as bad as claiming your chili is 5 alarms when in reality it's 2 alarm chili.

Fair enough.

Doing some testing this weekend.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 5:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

Doc thinks he's better than us with his fancy cooking and eating.

Wait. Doc is better than us. We suck.

Thanks for talking to us, Doc. We're not worthy.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:58 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Regular Reader wrote:
Right now finishing off a couple pounds of skirt steak, fresh guacamole is ready and for the hell of it, some crab and bacon stuffed criminis.

And wishing I had another two pounds of steak as not to waste an almost perfect fire

There is a mexican grocery store in Harvey on 159th street, 2 blocks east of halsted on south side of street.. Check it out, get the marinated skirt steak ~10$ lb..toss that on the grill.. Amazing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:01 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Very tasty. 1-hour smoke at 300 or so and brush the sauce on around 30 minutes in. I coat them in peanut oil and add the rub. Get the smoke on them and add the sauce. I highly recommend for an easy cook.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:40 pm 

312player wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Right now finishing off a couple pounds of skirt steak, fresh guacamole is ready and for the hell of it, some crab and bacon stuffed criminis.

And wishing I had another two pounds of steak as not to waste an almost perfect fire

There is a mexican grocery store in Harvey on 159th street, 2 blocks east of halsted on south side of street.. Check it out, get the marinated skirt steak ~10$ lb..toss that on the grill.. Amazing

I know where you're talking about, but I live the old Steel City. I get it for 4.99 a pound and fresh spices and salsas. 4 lbs yesterday didn't last the 24 Hours.

Nor did the guacamole.

Did I mention that my youngest is 6'2" & 235. Or eats faster than our Rottweiller?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Regular Reader wrote:
312player wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

I know where you're talking about, but I live the old Steel City. I get it for 4.99 a pound and fresh spices and salsas. 4 lbs yesterday didn't last the 24 Hours.

Nor did the guacamole.

Did I mention that my youngest is 6'2" & 235. Or eats faster than our Rottweiller?

I think we’re twins. My youngest is 235 as well....

After his double header yesterday, we went to Rookies. He ordered 20 wings. I just looked at him, like really?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:29 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
312player wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Nor did the guacamole.

I think we’re twins. My youngest is 235 as well....

After his double header yesterday, we went to Rookies. He ordered 20 wings. I just looked at him, like really?

I gave my youngest crap 3 years ago when a table of ladies next to us marveled at my youngest going to town on the 60 wing order we had.

I had five

And now Dennis, at the end of the day we aren't that different. And I'm glad to consider you a friend.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:35 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Regular Reader wrote:
I gave my youngest crap 3 years ago when a table of ladies next to us marveled at my youngest going to town on the 60 wing order we had.

I had five

And now Dennis, at the end of the day we aren't that different. And I'm glad to consider you a friend.

Yup for sure RR.

Now as for your son, the "lady" that is impressed by that is the one he should take home. That'd be a keeper!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:43 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
denisdman wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

I had five

Yup for sure RR.

What happened here? Did you two go on a date or something?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:24 pm 

Been trying to perfect these smoked wings.

Attempt #3 - Heavy char. Might be too dry but maybe the flavor and texture makes up for it.

Let’s see what happens. Might be enough fat to keep them juicy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:39 pm 

Two ribeyes, three pounds of skirt steak and some marinated chicken. But all I've eaten over the last two days are veggies, and the fresh fruit from a market around Midway.

I swear, going in good Mexican markets now reminds me of going in SportMart as a 13 year old.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Tuna over charcoal about 1 minute per side. Little soy sauce and wasabi paste. Quick easy not that pricey I think $26 for 4 people

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:01 pm 

Success!! :cheers:

You can char the hell out of these things and they remain juicy. They went about another 15-20 minutes after this. Crispy. I've got a process now.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:08 pm 

The remnants - thank you, Steven Raichlen for the inspiration. You're really weird and weird looking but you've got some ideas...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:54 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
The remnants - thank you, Steven Raichlen for the inspiration. You're really weird and weird looking but you've got some ideas...

I always respect, but wonder about his methods.

Then again I'm discovering a new kinship with my son's Rottweiler by brushing up on my German.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:05 pm 

His method was to do a high indirect smoke at 320 for 30 to get the smoke on and then sauce them and do another 30.

Those were good but the skin was still a bit chewy.

So, we drained the wings for a few hours. I coated them in peanut oil and my rub. Do 35 minutes at 320 and then apply the first layer of sauce. Reapply the sauce every 10-12 minutes (about 3 applications) and then just let them go until they have a nice black char on them. Not burnt just accented with char. I recommend it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:30 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Hatchetman wrote:
Tuna over charcoal about 1 minute per side. Little soy sauce and wasabi paste. Quick easy not that pricey I think $26 for 4 people

I am with you but many are not on the rare tuna thing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:47 pm 

Yes, I know, I keep posting it but after weeks of testing....SUCCESS!!!

I now have a process. Perfection.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:34 am 

Doing some pork shoulders today. Trimming around the money muscle to see if I can do slices. I've never done that before.

Might throw some ribs on later.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:30 am 

Had been thinking about grilling steaks this afternoon and came across this thread. Now I'm going to take a crack at Dr. Ken's wings. Wish me luck, I've never cooked wings.

I may grill some garlic shrimp and a pound of skirt steak and some vegetables to be on the safe side. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:52 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
Had been thinking about grilling steaks this afternoon and came across this thread. Now I'm going to take a crack at Dr. Ken's wings. Wish me luck, I've never cooked wings.

I may grill some garlic shrimp and a pound of skirt steak and some vegetables to be on the safe side. :lol:

Char the wings up. It's almost impossible to overcook them.

But a good bit of char gives them the crunch to mimic them being fried. Plus I love a char flavor as long as it is not too much. I'd say a 25% char.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:01 am 

Also, on the wings, those directions were all temps on indirect heat. I was using an offset smoker.

Good luck. Hope they turn out well.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:37 pm 

Threw a couple slabs of ribs on. Why not? It's already going.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:49 pm 

I meant to trim the ribs up a bit more but I just wanted to get them on. Took longer at Da Jewels than I thought.

This was an unplanned event.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:52 pm 

I meant to trim the ribs up a bit more but I just wanted to get them on. Took longer at Da Jewels than I thought.

What time did you open the first brew?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:52 pm 

One Post wrote:

What time did you open the first brew?

Friday

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:56 pm 

My first pass with a new CutCo hearty slicer knife and it was too good. Damn near sliced the shoulder in half just trying to score it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:01 pm 

Threw a couple slabs of ribs on. Why not? It's already going.

Exactly!

When I realized how cheap the wings were this morning, decided to get a couple pounds of relatively lean rib tips. Like you, I hate wasting a good fire.

Put the rub on it all 90 minutes ago and figure to start the fire in about 30, which also is the time my deck will sit entirely in the shade.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:10 pm 

What am I missing on rib tips? They seem very hard to eat.

The ones I've had are all bones. Am I doing something wrong?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:36 pm 

What am I missing on rib tips? They seem very hard to eat.

The ones I've had are all bones. Am I doing something wrong?

Go to a Pete's Produce in or near the city. Watch a couple of little old ladies pick them out. I actually grabbed two a woman put back for cost reasons this morning. The rule of thumb is to pick ones out that would meet spare rib standards for fattiness. Usually the other key is to buy enough for the butcher to be fair in balancing out bone v. meat.

South side spots know how to cut them to balance it out, or lose business.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 38  Next