It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 54  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Real Crab Meat, Bread Crumbs, and the tears of children.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:10 am 

Spaulding wrote:
We either wrap in tin foil, no husk - kids prefer this or soak, husk on, right on grill

How did you make the crab cakes?

It couldn't have been easier. Throw white bread picked into little pieces, lump crap meat, mayo, mustard, worchester, Old Bay seasoning and an egg beaten into a bowl. Mix with your hands then squeeze those balls together. Put them on a cooking sheet in the refrigerator so that they don't fall apart then into the oven for 10 minutes. Some people fry them in a pan with olive oil. I was going low cal with broiling and light mayo. It's elegant and really almost as easy as making a sandwich.

You can even do this on the cheap with just the slightest difference in texture and taste with fake crab meat substituted for lump crab meat at probably 1/4 the cost.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Baby back ribs and corn on the cob. Tried out the new side smoker that I got for the first time and I do have to say I could tell the difference.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Suparosa on Central between Irving and Montrose. Forget about the rest!!!
Just finished up 8 pork steaks, 4 burgers for the kiddies and 8 baked potatoes. Pork steaks rocked. Got em from Fresh Foods next to the Wal Mart on Touhy. $1.99 a lb. Sweet Baby Ray sauce, I had 2, tempted to go for #3.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:57 pm 

Grilled chicken with Buffalo Wild Wings Parm Garlic sauce along with cheese potatoes on the grill tonight.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:16 pm 

Steak and asparagus.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:08 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Porterhouse steak, Jumbo Shrimp, Asparagus, Baked Potatoes, Mini Peppers, Vidalia Onions. Add Cakebread Cabernet. Boom!

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:12 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Scorehead wrote:
Porterhouse steak, Jumbo Shrimp, Asparagus, Baked Potatoes, Mini Peppers, Vidalia Onions. Add Cakebread Cabernet. Boom!

That is quite aggressive for midnight.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:34 pm 

Tonight was Iowa Pork Chops done to perfection with a side of summer squash.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:42 pm 

Last week was the first time we did the corn on the cob in the husk and I do have to say, while it was kind of a pain in the ass it smelled so good. The smell it gave off for the half hour it was cooking was unreal.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Does anyone have any experience with/tips for grilling polenta?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:49 pm 

Telegram Sam wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with/tips for grilling polenta?

At first look I thought that was grilling placenta. :puker:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:41 pm 

Chris_in_joliet wrote:
At first look I thought that was grilling placenta. :puker:

Now why would he say that, everyone knows you eat that raw.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:26 am 

Chris_in_joliet wrote:
Last week was the first time we did the corn on the cob in the husk and I do have to say, while it was kind of a pain in the ass it smelled so good. The smell it gave off for the half hour it was cooking was unreal.

Thats really the best way to grill corn. Just make sure you soak the ears in water before you throw them on the grill.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:53 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Scorehead wrote:
Chris_in_joliet wrote:

Thats really the best way to grill corn. Just make sure you soak the ears in water before you throw them on the grill.

Soaking is overrated in my opinion. I don't know how you guys are cooking corn -- does the lid pop off cause the kernels are popping in your 600 degree grill? I haven't had a problem just cleaning them and then re-covering them in their green dress. I also then remove the rest at the grill site before bringing it inside. Definitely adds a nice smoky flavor to the corn -- very tasty.

We had a little party on Sunday which turned out very well. I took three chickens and brined them late in the night (made an oreo cheesecake while I was waiting for them to finish.) Took them out, rinsed them off, then slept for five hours or so. Tossed that on a barrel smoker over a charcoal/cherry mix, only put rub on one. I put two 4.5 lb pork shoulders on a Orion Cooker (google it) with the rub according to Mrs. Newper's friend's mom recipe. She was hesitant that I put it in that thing, but god bless her she has some faith in me when it comes to cooking. She is insistent that these things get cooking even though the party invite time is listed as 1 to 2, and she wants everything ready at 2. I am trying to convince her that you have appetizers and things out and you really want to aim for 3 at the earliest, but I relent. Well, the chicken is done at 12:30 (as I predicted) so now I have the task of figuring out how to keep these six half chickens warm without drying out. I put three each on baking pans and throw them in the oven. Set it to the lowest setting of 170 then as soon as it beeps that it hits temperature, I turn it off. I wait thirty minutes, then repeat. The Orion Cooker can't be opened during the cooking, and they say 4.5 hours, so I open after 4.25 hours and it is definitely done... a little more than I would have wanted. Take it out, wrap it in foil, leave it on the counter for an hour. And guess what, by now it is 3 pm. So I throw on the broiler for 10 minutes to crisp up that chicken. Mrs. Newper takes on the task of shredding the pork, I'm cooking some succotash on the range and boiling water for some corn. After 10 minutes, out comes the chicken where I do a pretty poor job of breaking it down into the 4 components (got better as I went along), still trying to stir the succotash and wait for that corn to boil. I then turn the oven on to throw in the peach cobbler, slide that puppy in, and start working the butter into the dough. I get the dough with butter where I am pretty much happy with it, then Mrs. Newper rings the dinner bell and all come in the kitchen. I sit to the side waiting for some water to boil to add to the dough, it gets 80% there, I say screw it, and I mix it in. 7 minutes later, drop some on the cobbler, and throw it back in the oven. Wash my hands and I am done.

Very pleased with the results. Both the pork and the chicken were very good even by my standards. The chicken skin was actually bite through (first time I had tried the broiler trick) so I was very, very happy about that, and of course the smoke got right through the whole bird. The pork was as Mrs. Newper remembered her friend's mom making it, and it actually did well after resting for a while... we served it with three options for saucing -- apple butter based BBQ w/ some "moonshine", a garlic BBQ sauce, and a mayo based BBQ sauce. Have about one chicken for leftovers and maybe two pork sandwiches. About 5 ears of corn too. Overall it was pretty decent.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:50 pm 

Pork chops.

Made some mushroom risotto and broccoli to go with it.

This was the first time I used the Guy Fieri BBQ sauce on the grill. Very tasty...went with the KC style.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:05 pm 

Salmon on a cedar plank and corn in the husk going right now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:06 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Ribeyes. My favorite.
Corn and taters. Corn using the new soaking method I've recently learned of here.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:45 pm 

pizza_Place: *
Did some Chicken Breasts

No traces of you, what can I do?
Alone and confused

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
I grilled some chicken breasts marinated in buffalo sauce that I then cut up to grill on a buffalo chicken pizza.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:52 pm 

Free Ajent wrote:
Did some Chicken Breasts

I sure hope to hell you washed them before eating them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:55 pm 

pizza_Place: *
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Free Ajent wrote:
Did some Chicken Breasts

I sure hope to hell you washed them before eating them.

I always wash my breasts before I eat them

No traces of you, what can I do?
Alone and confused

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:57 pm 

T-bone Steak with corn on the cob and cottage cheese. We did the corn on the cob with the corn in the husk.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:57 pm 

Smoking Ribs and cooking corn on the cob along with it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:47 pm 

Ribeye steak, Salmon, gigantic bakes potatos, & Asparagus.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:51 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
I've been grilling with grass-fed beef a lot this summer and have had some really excellent steaks and burgers. I think the grass-fed stuff has a better, "beefier" flavor than corn-fed beef and the health/dietary benefits are substantial: grass-feed beef is lower in calories, contains a comparatively high concentration of omega 3 fatty acids and conjugated lineolic acids, and seems to help lower LDL cholestorol levels.

Last edited by Tall Midget on Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:00 am 

Chicken and potatoes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:07 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Tall Midget wrote:
I think the grass-fed stuff has a better, "beefier" flavor than corn-fed beef

Of all the things you've posted on this site and your crazy opinions on Illini sports, Laurence Holmes, and your misguided societal and economic notions, I don't think I've ever disagreed with you more than I do regarding this post.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:16 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
I think the grass-fed stuff has a better, "beefier" flavor than corn-fed beef

Of all the things you've posted on this site and your crazy opinions on Illini sports, Laurence Holmes, and your misguided societal and economic notions, I don't think I've ever disagreed with you more than I do regarding this post.

Are you talking about ordinary butcher counter beef or dry-aged stuff? Since nobody sells grass-fed, dry-aged beef, I agree that dry-aged, corn-fed beef can't be beat for flavor. But the Tallgrass ribeyes and ground beef stand miles ahead of the ordinary (wet-aged) steaks I've gotten from Paulina and elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:32 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I contract with a local farmer who only does a few head of cattle each year for sale as opposed to the beef-factories that are supplying general supermarkets. I'm not familiar with Paulina and that quality.

But, in general, I find grass-fed beef to be far too lean and lacking the tenderness and flavor of at least an average cut of corn-fed. If you are comparing the highest-quality grass-fed to an average-to-below average corn-fed cut, then that might be so.

In full disclosure, I am biased as I was involved in the industry for a time, to some degree, quite naturally...MJ's steakhouse is opening today...

But, your original statement seemed more all-inclusive of preferring grass-fed to corn-fed. I disagree with that idea.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 54  Next