It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 54  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:53 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
I contract with a local farmer who only does a few head of cattle each year for sale as opposed to the beef-factories that are supplying general supermarkets. I'm not familiar with Paulina and that quality.

But, in general, I find grass-fed beef to be far too lean and lacking the tenderness and flavor of at least an average cut of corn-fed. If you are comparing the highest-quality grass-fed to an average-to-below average corn-fed cut, then that might be so.

In full disclosure, I am biased as I was involved in the industry for a time, to some degree, quite naturally...MJ's steakhouse is opening today...

But, your original statement seemed more all-inclusive of preferring grass-fed to corn-fed. I disagree with that idea.

Paulina is generally regarded as one of the best meat markets in the city. Another place I frequent, Holzkopff's is also quite good and very reliable. But the corn-fed beef they sell typically falls well short of the Tallgrass stuff for flavor and texture. Tallgrass is more expensive than the high-quality wet-aged, corn-fed beef (generally graded as choice, but marbled like prime) one finds at Paulina, but cheaper than dry-aged beef, corn-fed beef.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
Grilled a 4 pound bone-in Angus roast on Sunday. I split those sons-a-bitches into 2 steaks, each about 2 inches thick. These things were Fred Flintstone-esque. I took pictures but when I tried including them, I got, "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image."

The morning before I grilled, I rubbed the steaks with sea salt, black pepper and garlic powder and threw them into plastic bags. About 8 hours later, I coated them with worcestershire sauce. Red meat and worcestershire sauce go together perfectly. This was all done the day before I grilled them, so for the rest of that day and the beginning of the next, I flipped the bags in the fridge so that each side had a turn with the worcestershire sauce.

When I grilled them, I went about 22-23 minutes total for medium, only turning once. They were done perfectly. While they were grilling, I made a bleu cheese garlic butter (with a pinch of sea salt), which was freaking awesome as a topper to the meat. I'm new to the "introduce a fat with the protein" thing, but that butter connoction rocked. Made it up myself, too, though I don't think I reinvented the wheel as I know restaurants encrust steaks with bleu cheese and add various butters to the top.

I also made my famous grilled potatoes. I would be glad to share if anyone gives a crap.

The only reason I bought the roast in the first place was Jewel had a sale months ago, and when I asked for the specific roast I wanted, the guy brought it back after wrapping it, and it was $44. $44?! WTF? I'm not good with math (duh), so while I knew it was going to cost some cash, I didn't equate it to that amount, nor did I know how much it weighed. I didn't want to look like a cheapskate when he gave it to me, so I kept it, though I did think about ditching it in the paper towel aisle. Cooler heads prevailed, though, and I bought it. Damn glad I did, too. It was perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:23 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Ed_from_Lisle wrote:
I also made my famous grilled potatoes. I would be glad to share if anyone gives a crap.

Let's hear it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:35 pm 

I cube the taters and then slice them into half moon shapes. Lay out some foil and lube it up (easy, Nate) with some anti-stick spray. I prefer Pam and their olive oil flavor, but the butter flavor works.

I would say put 2-2 1/2 potatoes on the foil. Throw enough olive oil to coat the top. Next, I add sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder (not salt), paprika, and minced garlic (from the jar or fresh). Those were my original ingredients. I have since stepped up to include any of these fresh ingredients, too: chopped red bell pepper, white onion, and pine nuts, though I rarely use all of the extras at once. If you add fresh or dried onion, put those on the foil after you spray, as they will carmelize nicely.

After you add all of the ingredients, close up the foil and wrap with another sheet to avoid spillage/leakage.

Throw on the grill, using indirect heat, for an hour, spinning them so that each side gets 30 minutes closer to the fire. Do not turn them over.

Last step: thank me later.

Again, I don't think I reinvented the wheel, but those are some goddamn good potatoes, I'll tell you that much.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:22 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Sounds good. Thanks.

I've never heard of this -

Ed_from_Lisle wrote:
I cube the taters and then slice them into half moon shapes.

Seems like a lot of extra work. Can't you just cube them and call it good?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:23 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Sounds good. Thanks.

I've never heard of this -

Ed_from_Lisle wrote:
I cube the taters and then slice them into half moon shapes.

Seems like a lot of extra work. Can't you just cube them and call it good?

Probably... :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:25 pm 

I always lose points on presentation.

My food never looks good either.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Chicken Kebobs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Baby yukon gold potatoes with a smokey bbq chicken and a buffalo bbq chicken.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Ribeye, baked potato

used the side burner to wilt and sautee some spinach in a balsamic/garlic/onion mixture.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:38 pm 

Threw some chicken breasts on the grill, after having them sit in a mixture of sea salt, pepper, garlic powder and olive oil.

Made a sundried tomato pesto for the topping. Grilled some garlic bread, using wheat french bread. Topped it with the pesto and some provolone cheese.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:09 pm 

Smoked Baby Back ribs with yukon baby potatoes to go with Leinenkugel Ockotberfest.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:27 pm 

Grilled chicken with some Sweet Baby Rays Sauce. I had to get out there today and grill as it was so nice outside. I also made this cheesy potato side dish. It had three potatoes,half an onion, a whole bag of mild shredded cheese, 2 cups of parmesan cheese, some bacon bits, plenty of seasoning salt,garlic salt and 2 tbls of butter. I threw it a few shots of hot sauce for some extra flavor also. Cooked at 350 degrees for about an hour. Turned out awesome. I usually cook this on the grill in heavy tin foil but figured I would try the oven this time around.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:55 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Ribeye, Lobster & Asparagus.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:29 am 

I think today is going to be a beer can chicken day on the grill mixed in with some potatoes and maybe some other things too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Did a pork loin and some brussel sprouts. Loin turned out really well. Done on my new Christmas present:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:46 pm 

newper wrote:
Did a pork loin and some brussel sprouts. Loin turned out really well. Done on my new Christmas present:

That looks sexy. I give it a 8.5

Wrong section?

No really that's a nice looking grill. I love my charcoal grill. I don't use it at all during the winter as it's too much of a pain in the ass to keep hot but I do try and use it all summer long. Make sure to buy a nice heavy grill cover for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:35 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
made a filet and a ribeye last night. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:37 am 

Nice grill Chris - love the Performers.

Tonight will be some Iowa pork chops paired with some mashed potatoes.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:18 pm 

Got up to Casey's in Naperville today.

Butter/garlic marinated sirloin and crab-stuffed mushrooms were on the grill tonight. 8) :drunken:

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Ribs, corn and chedderwurst

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:21 pm 

Bone-In Ribeyes, and it was outstanding. Now I am stuffed!!

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:12 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
spanky wrote:

Butter/garlic marinated sirloin and crab-stuffed mushrooms were on the grill tonight. 8) :drunken:

you marinated a steak in butter ?

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:29 am 

Bagels wrote:
spanky wrote:

I use a homemade blue cheese garlic butter for a topping. Put it on after the steaks rest. Heavenly.

Learned that one after seeing it on a Food Network show. Never thought to add a fat to steak. Not every time but once in awhile it's awesome.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:31 am 

Ed_from_Lisle wrote:
Bagels wrote:
spanky wrote:

I use a homemade blue cheese garlic butter for a topping. Put it on after the steaks rest. Heavenly.

Learned that one after seeing it on a Food Network show. Never thought to add a fat to steak. Not every time but once in awhile it's awesome.

yeah i can certainly see it as a topping after cooking
but as a marinade, seems like it would congeal and also butter would burn on the grill

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:10 pm 

Bagels wrote:
spanky wrote:

It comes that way from the store. I believe they pressure-infuse the garlic butter in to the sirloin.
It's fantastic, and I don't think it's actually butter because it's not solid when it comes out of the cooler.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:40 pm 

spanky wrote:
Bagels wrote:
spanky wrote:

It comes that way from the store. I believe they pressure-infuse the garlic butter in to the sirloin.
It's fantastic, and I don't think it's actually butter because it's not solid when it comes out of the cooler.

hipster

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:06 pm 

Last night: Mozzarella-Stuffed Turkey Burgers with pasta salad on the side

Tonight: Smoked baby back Ribs with a cheesy potato,pepper,and onion dish on the side. :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:43 pm 

Bump

Tonight I'm making smoked baby back ribs with corn on the cob on the side.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Chicken breasts with Weber Grill's Kick'n Chicken seasoning, corn on the cob, and rosemary roasted potatoes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 54  Next