It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tufano's Vernon Park Tap
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:34 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Mrs. Godfella and I went to Tufano's Vernon Park Tap again last night and it was awesome as usual. Haven't been their in years but went again for the third time in a few weeks. The fried calamari is great and the tomato & mozzarella salad was dee-lish! She had the stuffed shells with marinara and I had the ravs and meatballs. What a great place with terrific people. They were busy as all heck but made us feel welcome and at home. Usually when places are that busy I find that you don't get good service and they seem to rush you out of there as soon as possible. Definitely not the case at Tufano's! Thanks to Joe DiBuona and his family for a good time!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:48 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I went there last year. I thought it was terrible.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:48 pm 

pizza_Place: NEW YORK STYLE PEPPERONI FROM LOMBARDI'S IN MANHATTAN.
Spaulding wrote:
I went there last year. I thought it was terrible.

The place is great. Drink more red wine!

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I used to go there quite a bit when I was at UIC. La Luce on Lake and Ogden is good too. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
When I worked near there it was a once a month must for me.The only way to find it is to look for the line of Caddys parked out in front.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:48 pm 

Then I'm missing it. What about this place is good? It was like sitting in Nonnie's basement being served food from a cafeteria. The respectable Italian Grandmothers I know would beat someone with their wooden spoon if they were served food like this.

I'm not really hard on restaurants. Our waitress was curt and brought drinks out halfway thru dinner which was served with the appetizers. The salad was all iceberg lettuce. The Fettucini Alfredo was tasteless, the marinara could have been chopped garlic with tomatoes in sauce from a can. The pasta was not fresh, they don't make their own, the ravioli looked like it came from costco, my friend who loves it said the chicken was a little dry and it looked like it was in a puddle of oil. One of the waiters spilled a tray of drinks in the aisle and it ran over under our table. The dude handed me 2 napkins and told me to clean it up. Then I sat in pool of Sprite for about a half hour. That part we laughed about.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:09 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I like Tufano's and I'm glad it's there, but my assessment of the food is closer to Spaulding's. It's okay, but I'd call it unremarkable Italian food. I think you can find better versions of the same type of food much cheaper in many other places around the city and near suburbs. I like the idea that Nelson Algren used to go there before Sox games though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
There are two kind of people in this world: those that love places like this and those that don't.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:59 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I like Tufano's and I'm glad it's there, but my assessment of the food is closer to Spaulding's. It's okay, but I'd call it unremarkable Italian food. I think you can find better versions of the same type of food much cheaper in many other places around the city and near suburbs. I like the idea that Nelson Algren used to go there before Sox games though.

Name a couple!

I'd love this place if it had better food and service. I think it was coach or dolphin that recommended Il vicinato, excellent. Used to love Armands in Elmwood Park there was another place there too, name escapes me. Gioacchino's in Bellwood. Would prefer Clara's in Woodridge. Has anybody tried the new Armand's places, BTW?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Spaulding wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Name a couple!

I'd love this place if it had better food and service.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Just off the top of my head: Jim & Pete's on North Avenue. Danny's in Melrose Park. Club Lago on Superior.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:28 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Addition to JORR's list: La Scarola on Grand. Get the sausage with escarole and the pasta vesuvio.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:44 pm 

JORR, MY GUY!!!! Jim & Pete's was the place I couldn't name!!! I've always wanted to try La Scarola. TM, you like Tufano's?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:59 am 

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Club Lago on Superior.

On a relatively quiet corner of a bustling neighborhood known as River North there's a little restaurant and bar that's been servin' up tasty Italian food to Chicagoans for sixty years! Now the latest generation of Nardinis, brothers Guido and GianCarlo, are doin' things their way! From the awesome antipasti to luscious bartender Jamie Lamb, Club Lago is a place the locals love and tourists shouldn't miss! Come on!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:56 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
maybe it was different b/t 1993-2001...

rose bud.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:35 am 

I'm with Spaulding on this place - I just didn't see what was so special about it. And the whole only cash thing is kinda outdated in this day and age.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:40 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
Addition to JORR's list: La Scarola on Grand. Get the sausage with escarole and the pasta vesuvio.

Seconding JoeOrr and Tall Midget's recommendations. I love Club Lago as a very casual place with a great bar. I used to specifically schedule hearings down the block between 11-1 so that I could go there for lunch. After about two times, the brothers remembered me. It isn't the best food but it is good food at good prices and a great atmosphere.

It kind of reminds me of the place The Turk and his Irish bodyguard were gunned down by Michael Corleone.

Yes, I did recommend Il Vicinato. It is a little more upscale and the food is much better. Different price points. Il Vicinato is my favorite Italian place in the city.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:52 am 

In the same neighborhood at Tufano's, I do like Rosal's. Old school italian place with traditional dishes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Bella Notte (1374 W. Grand) or Bruna's (2424 S. Oakley) are superior to Tufano's IMHO.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
I've always found this place to be terribly overrated.