It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Synthetic Marijuana
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:14 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Do you think you had a moral obligation to try to get your client help to detox? Just curious...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:22 pm 

shakes wrote:
Doctors charge for an office visit when before they give out the script. That's how they make money off prescription drugs.
They get paid either way. Try again. You are paying for a doctor to see you. They get the same payment whether you get some oxycontin or some penicillin.
shakes wrote:
The biggest problem is not with the orthopedic docs or neurosurgeons, they will give out scripts but they tend to only treat patients in serious need...and once they are no longer in serious need they discontinue treatment. The real problem is with the pain clinics. Someone can go there claiming chronic pain and pretty much become a patient for life. Many of those clincis are not very reputable and they basically just give out pain med scripts to anyone who asks for it. Every once in a while one of them will get busted like recently a doc in Melrose Park got busted. One of my clients was a patient of his..it was all sorts of fucked up. My client was a mess, had chronic foot pain and because of that this doc was giving him vicodin and oxy whenever he wanted it. My client would wash it down with jack daniels every nigth. One look at him and you could tell he was a mess, yet the doc kept giving him pain meds. My client ended up dying 2 days after I settled his work comp case, they found him dead in his house with the uncashed six figure check still sitting on the kitchen table.

For every one Melrose park hack who gets busted there are probably 100s out there still doing it.
As I said, that isn't most doctors, and they'll likely eventually get in trouble if they are violating the rules. It's not like those same doctors would be unemployed without those clinics either. I just think it's stupid to think that most doctors are just worried about the big bags of money they make on writing prescriptions considering they don't get paid to write them and they risk losing everything if they are caught. I'm sure it happens but in most cases they'd probably actually make more money "treating" them rather than saying take this.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:34 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Synthetic marijuana should not be used by anyone other than those who wish to become better drivers after smoking it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
doug - evergreen park wrote:
Do you think you had a moral obligation to try to get your client help to detox? Just curious...

No I don't have a legal obligation and considering I have no morals I didn't have one of those either.

But seriously, I didn't know about the alcohol use till after he died. I had suspicions, but no idea it was as bad as it was. And I had no control over him getting the meds, he was doing it outside the confines of work comp. I also wasn't aware of just how bad it was till right at the very end when he was in my office and I could see how bad he looked face to face. So, i had some idea about his condition, but not the full scope of it. And then the question comes up, if I did know what could I do about it? He lived alone and was estranged from his family so its not like I could call a family member. And if I mentioned it to him directly I doubt it would've made a difference. Later on I talked to his sister and got a very different story than the one he gave me. Apparently they had had several interventions with him and because of that he stopped talking to them altogether. So its not like he was open to talking about it and changing.

On top of that, if I piss him off there's the very real chance he fires me and hires a new attorney. Happens all the time in work comp. If that happens I lose thousands of dollars so I have to be very careful when discussing matters with clients that they don't want to talk about.

But, every situation is unique. After that happened I had a different client who became addicted to vicodin. In that case, the evidence was pretty clear and it was documented as part of his work comp case. Because of that I was able to talk to him about it without crossing any boundaries and I ended up getting the work comp insurance company to pay for a 30 day stint in rehab. That was another situation where the neuro surgeon wanted him to stop taking drugs, but the pain clinic kept giving him scripts. They got him off the vicodin by prescribing siboxin (sp) which is a great SHORT-TERM drug for getting off opiates, but this pain doctor kept him on it for a year, turning him from a vicodin addict to a siboxin addict.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:46 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Cool thanks for the info. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:46 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
shakes wrote:
Doctors charge for an office visit when before they give out the script. That's how they make money off prescription drugs.
They get paid either way. Try again. You are paying for a doctor to see you. They get the same payment whether you get some oxycontin or some penicillin.

You're missing the point. The patients who are only going to see the doc for the meds would not be coming in for office visits if they weren't going to get drugs at the end of it. So to say the doc gets paid either way is incorrect. If he charges $100 for an office visit and has 5-10 addicts coming to see him/her every day that's $500-$1000 a day the doc would make that he otherwise wouldn't.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:51 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
As I said, that isn't most doctors, and they'll likely eventually get in trouble if they are violating the rules. It's not like those same doctors would be unemployed without those clinics either. I just think it's stupid to think that most doctors are just worried about the big bags of money they make on writing prescriptions considering they don't get paid to write them and they risk losing everything if they are caught. I'm sure it happens but in most cases they'd probably actually make more money "treating" them rather than saying take this.

I agree, it definitely isn't "most doctors". But, there are definitely a good number of pain doctors who are pretty much just giving scripts to anyone who comes and asks for them. I see it/hear about it all the time in my line of work.

As to your second point, like I said earlier, these docs do make a lot of money from taking office visits from drug addicts. Keep in mind these aren't exactly Northwestern Memorial type doctors, but small business owners/doctors working out of tiny offices or strip malls. For a lot of these guys, the daily office visits from drug addicts is a significant part of their business.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:11 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I know a guy who got kicked out of the army for fake weed. How pathetic, but means to one end or another, I guess.