It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:09 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
newper wrote:
I was on a business trip with a guy once in NYC... it was time for lunch, and I asked him what he was in the mood for. He said, "Well, since we are in New York City, I want to get an authentic Italian beef!" Absolutely no sarcasm. Had to let him down gently that it was a Chicago thing. We ended up eating in a Bed Bath and Beyond.

This business that I was previously involved in had a division in Cleveland. We sent a bunch of guys from Chicago out there to get it going. They all lived in this apartment complex in Strongsville that we came to call "Little Chicago". Anyway, my current partner, Joe, was working out there but this was before I really knew him. Of course, he gravitated to the booziest guy in the company, this salesman named John Clark. These two knuckleheads would get into all kinds of trouble, blowing off appointments to go drink at this shitty bar called the Sportsman's Tavern in Berea.

Anyway, Joe kept trying to explain to Clark, who was a Cleveland native, what an Italian beef was. Clark kept taking him to these various places that offered beef sandwiches and Joe kept telling him that these sandwiches were nothing like Italian beef. Eventually, Clark discovered a Chicago themed restaurant that had something called "Chicago-style Italian beef" on the menu. Clark was all excited to take Joe there. So they went for lunch one day and Joe told me the "Italian beef" was like an Arby's and it came with banana peppers instead of sweet or giard. Finally, Joe got someone to send him a jar of Marconi and he made his own beefs. Clark found them strange but delicious.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:16 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
newper wrote:
I was on a business trip with a guy once in NYC... it was time for lunch, and I asked him what he was in the mood for. He said, "Well, since we are in New York City, I want to get an authentic Italian beef!" Absolutely no sarcasm. Had to let him down gently that it was a Chicago thing. We ended up eating in a Bed Bath and Beyond.

In my experience, most people outside the greater Chicago area don't even know what an Italian Beef is.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:22 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
leashyourkids wrote:
newper wrote:

In my experience, most people outside the greater Chicago area don't even know what an Italian Beef is.

That defnitely was the case... he didn't believe me and asked a few of the locals where the best beef place was. Most responses were "Like barbeque??"

JORR wrote:
So they went for lunch one day and Joe told me the "Italian beef" was like an Arby's and it came with banana peppers instead of sweet or giard.

Sliced roast beef with italian seasoning sprinkled on. :) Speaking of Arby's, have you seen their "gyros?" I know gyros (in the US at least) originated in Chicago, but I thought it had spread across the US -- at least to NYC; I remember the Seinfeld episode on the subway where they ran off to get them. These Arbys things are roast beef on pita.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:43 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Regular Reader wrote:
Psycory wrote:
pittmike wrote:
You guys are all spoiled. I would give a lot for a "baseline" beef of any sort.

I have mine shipped in on a quarterly basis.

My son started requesting "Chicago" food be shipped to the wilds of Mizzou about a month ago. No beefs, crappy pizza, limited Mexican. To hear him tell it, he's dying. It's probably part of the reason I get regular updates on grades. $$ and the hope I'll send him at least some Johnnie's in bulk.

Next time he's home send him back to school with frozen beef, Jimbos is really good, Vienna too.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:01 am 

312player wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Psycory wrote:
pittmike wrote:
You guys are all spoiled. I would give a lot for a "baseline" beef of any sort.

I have mine shipped in on a quarterly basis.

My son started requesting "Chicago" food be shipped to the wilds of Mizzou about a month ago. No beefs, crappy pizza, limited Mexican. To hear him tell it, he's dying. It's probably part of the reason I get regular updates on grades. $$ and the hope I'll send him at least some Johnnie's in bulk.

Next time he's home send him back to school with frozen beef, Jimbos is really good, Vienna too.

Just got back last night from picking him up. Very good grades & hungry as hell for decent food. He actually found a "decent" Italian Beef place in Columbia (who knew how many Chicagoans are there) but complained; "I gotta have something different, you don't know how many Italian Beefs I ate there(since March)"

Back leg of an 800mi driving day with the last 175 in a pouring rainstorm & my son says: "Dad, lets stop, I gotta have some real BBQ". So at 11pm, wet, tired and hungry, my sons & I found ourselves elbow deep in a very large order of rib tips (& tequilla/Squirt drinks for me) :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:05 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
Just got back last night from picking him up. Very good grades & hungry as hell for decent food. He actually found a "decent" Italian Beef place in Columbia (who knew how many Chicagoans are there) but complained; "I gotta have something different, you don't know how many Italian Beefs I ate there(since March)"

Back leg of an 800mi driving day with the last 175 in a pouring rainstorm & my son says: "Dad, lets stop, I gotta have some real BBQ". So at 11pm, wet, tired and hungry, my sons & I found ourselves elbow deep in a very large order of rib tips (& tequilla/Squirt drinks for me) :lol:

That actually sounds fun as hell, even though I can't reconcile his request for BBQ near Chicago when he lives in Mizzou. I mean, out of everything, that has to be the one thing that they are at least halfway decent at, right? I would have expected him to want pizza, dogs, or something ethnic.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:12 am 

Regular Reader wrote:

A BBQ place open at 11pm? :lol:

Yeah even if Mizzou had good BBQ places they wouldn't be open then.

Curious the place to get decent beef in Columbia. I get up there occasionally.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:14 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
That actually sounds fun as hell, even though I can't reconcile his request for BBQ near Chicago when he lives in Mizzou. I mean, out of everything, that has to be the one thing that they are at least halfway decent at, right? I would have expected him to want pizza, dogs, or something ethnic.

Shockingly no, there really isn't much in the way of good BBQ that he or I could find down there. I would've thought that there was a KC chain (Oklahoma Joe's/Bryant's etc) at least, but not that I found.

Btw, the BBQ we got is "ethnic". The aquarium smokers used on the south side lend for a taste I've never really gotten outside of deeply rural Alabama or Mississippi. He's getting ready to head to either a particular Harold's (42nd & Cottage) or to Italian Fiesta for thin crust today. As for hot dogs, the kid took down Vienna Dogs, Plotchman's mustard & celery salt so he could make his own down there, he's no dummy :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:20 am 

RFDC wrote:
A BBQ place open at 11pm? :lol:

Yeah even if Mizzou had good BBQ places they wouldn't be open then.

BBQ joints used to be open until 2-3am. I have no idea what time they close now (1-2?)

After being a bit too close to a guy getting lit up with an Uzi near closing time one night & now being in my dotage, I stopped hitting them after 10-11ish. (the SOB ran toward me & pretty much died at my feet) But on the other hand, there actually were even a couple of well oiled veterans in my spot last night ordering tips after a night of drinking. In my old days....

But I regress. I'll ask him the name of the Beef place & let you know.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Didn't know CPD issued Uzis.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:56 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
Didn't know CPD issued Uzis.

I tell you what, they'll sober you up quick at 2-3am and in close proximity.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I used to live in a real tough part of DC. one evening gunfire erupts right outside our house. i hit the deck with such expediency my sister in law thought I had been shot. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
You guys live in different worlds.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Spaulding wrote:

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:36 am 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
Chus wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

Where's Marissa Tomei?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:02 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Stopped at Buono Beef yesterday on the way home. Wife had the beef, said it was ok at best, not nearly as good as Al's.

I had a meatball sandwich. It wasn't bad, but the meatballs were the smallest I've ever seen on a sandwich. Rip off.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:09 am 
Site Admin

shakes wrote:
Stopped at Buono Beef yesterday on the way home. Wife had the beef, said it was ok at best, not nearly as good as Al's.

I had a meatball sandwich. It wasn't bad, but the meatballs were the smallest I've ever seen on a sandwich. Rip off.

Yeah, I don't know if this is a franchise unit or what, but my recent experiences with the Buona in Schaumburg have been disappointing as well. I used to love the one on North Avenue near Maywood Park and the one in Berwyn.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:17 am 

RFDC wrote:

He told me the place is called Pickleman's. I take it that it's on campus. He's crap for directions. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:17 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
shakes wrote:

Yeah, I don't know if this is a franchise unit or what, but my recent experiences with the Buona in Schaumburg have been disappointing as well. I used to love the one on North Avenue near Maywood Park and the one in Berwyn.

My cousin used to cater from the one in Berwyn for Christmas Eve dinner. It was decent...

When I worked down there, I would go to the Buona in Rolling Meadows, it it wasn't bad.

I always hated that one on Higgins, though...

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:45 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Tried the Buona on Golf in Rolling Meadows a few years ago and I it was so-so. Hit up the Lawrence Ave. location in Harwood Heights recently and it was solid. That's all I've got.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:50 am 

pizza_Place: Dickman's
Buona is a level below Als, Johnnies and Portillos.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:51 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Big Guy's in Berwyn is actually pretty good. Ate there a couple of times and not disappointed at all.

Check out their Game of Thrones Special at the bottom of the front page of their website... :lol:

http://www.bigguyssausage.com/

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:51 am 
Site Admin

Furious Styles wrote:
Tried the Buona on Golf in Rolling Meadows a few years ago and I it was so-so.

I think that's the one I'm talking about on Golf. I thought it was Schaumburg but I guess it might be Rolling Meadows.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:35 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
RFDC wrote:

He told me the place is called Pickleman's. I take it that it's on campus. He's crap for directions. :lol:

Thanks. I have heard of that place, there are several across the state.

Don't look too bad. Will have to give it a try.

http://www.picklemans.com/menu/sandwiches.html

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:40 am 

pizza_Place: Gigio's in Des Plaines
Furious Styles wrote:
Hit up the Lawrence Ave. location in Harwood Heights recently and it was solid.

Yeah, it's decent, but nothing particularly special. I live within a half mile of that place, so it's unfortunate.

I like the beef at the new Lou Malnati's location on Harlem and Gunnison, but they don't serve french fries, which is criminal.

I haven't seen Rosati's mentioned in this thread, and they make a damn good beef (all three locations that I'm familiar with are fairly consistent - Milwaukee & Central, Milwaukee & Oakton, Grand & Cumberland).

The combo at Johnnie's is definitely my favorite.

Jay's on Montrose & Narragansett doesn't make a great beef, but they put together an outstanding meatball sandwich, and their homemade giardinera is spectacular. I've never tried a beef at their Irving Park location.

I have to try that Nottali place on Belmont that Hatchetman recommended.

Last edited by whiskey dick on Fri May 27, 2016 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:41 am 

I'll be made fun of, but I just can't find anything that beats Portillo's for me.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:48 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
I'll be made fun of, but I just can't find anything that beats Portillo's for me.
This is how I see it though depending on my mood I may prefer Teddy's Red Hots over them.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:49 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
leashyourkids wrote:

Just had one last night. More out of convienence but it's definitely acceptable. Als or Johnnys if I have a choice though.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:47 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
leashyourkids wrote:

Mr. Beef is Homer Glen is my go-to

Portillo's is just too.....shaved ? clumpy ? it's not like actual slices of beef
plus i think Portillo's has the best fast food burger, that's what i get when i'm there screw the beef

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:49 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Bagels wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Mr. Beef is Homer Glen is my go-to

Portillo's is just too.....shaved ? clumpy ? it's not like actual slices of beef
plus i think Portillo's has the best fast food burger, that's what i get when i'm there screw the beef

Used to be a place (might still be?) in Lemont across from bowling alley. Tucked in the strip mall where Sears Hardware was. Had a great beef with sport peppers I think mixed in.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next