It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:18 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
http://chicago.eater.com/archives/2013/ ... -house.php

Couldn't find my original thread on this, but I went with the missus a few months ago, and it was just OK. The atmosphere was awesome, but the food left me a little flat. I'm interested to try it again under a new chef. That takes some guts to fire a guy within the first year, but honestly, the food wasn't really up to the level they were looking for. The dessert was great, but the rest was just OK.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:44 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
newper wrote:
http://chicago.eater.com/archives/2013/04/12/alpana-singh-talks-changes-at-the-boarding-house.php

Couldn't find my original thread on this, but I went with the missus a few months ago, and it was just OK. The atmosphere was awesome, but the food left me a little flat. I'm interested to try it again under a new chef. That takes some guts to fire a guy within the first year, but honestly, the food wasn't really up to the level they were looking for. The dessert was great, but the rest was just OK.

I think Alpana used her name and fame to build something bigger than she could handle first time out. It looks like she bit off more than she can chew. She should have started smaller. She's one of Melman's friends, not one of his kids.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:01 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
newper wrote:
http://chicago.eater.com/archives/2013/04/12/alpana-singh-talks-changes-at-the-boarding-house.php

I think Alpana used her name and fame to build something bigger than she could handle first time out. It looks like she bit off more than she can chew. She should have started smaller. She's one of Melman's friends, not one of his kids.

100% agree!

Went there and wasnt impressed with everything. Yeah, cool bottles hanging, but if you use all your money and energy on the cool bottles everything else sucks!

You want to make your name on what you do at a place, not who you are.

Running an establishment is hard hard work. Have done it three times in my life. Each time it was part of investment of the building, basically buying a piece of crap and making it all worth something, but I worked no less than 80 hours on the shortest week, usually over 100.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:07 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
The experience of getting fired by Alpana Singh has got to be pretty demoralizing in and of itself:

Christian we're sorry you were unable to "meat" our expectations for the position. Believe me we did not come to this decision lightly. We've been closely evaluating your work for the last month "orzo." Lamentably, we have decided to move "pho"-word in a different direction in the back-of-house. If I can offer you a "tip" in your job search, always wear a a suit and "Thai" to an interview, and always pay your taxes, lest your wages be "garnished."

Man, that just adds insult to injury.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's
Telegram Sam wrote:
The experience of getting fired by Alpana Singh has got to be pretty demoralizing in and of itself:

Christian we're sorry you were unable to "meat" our expectations for the position. Believe me we did not come to this decision lightly. We've been closely evaluating your work for the last month "orzo." Lamentably, we have decided to move "pho"-word in a different direction in the back-of-house. If I can offer you a "tip" in your job search, always wear a a suit and "Thai" to an interview, and always pay your taxes, lest your wages be "garnished."

:lol:

Expound on this... there has to be a cool story here...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:17 am 

Telegram Sam wrote:
We've been closely evaluating your work for the last month "orzo."

Yay! Puns!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:23 am 

Telegram Sam wrote:

I appreciate that you are trying.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:25 am 

bigfan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
newper wrote:

100% agree!

Went there and wasnt impressed with everything. Yeah, cool bottles hanging, but if you use all your money and energy on the cool bottles everything else sucks!

You want to make your name on what you do at a place, not who you are.

Running an establishment is hard hard work. Have done it three times in my life. Each time it was part of investment of the building, basically buying a piece of crap and making it all worth something, but I worked no less than 80 hours on the shortest week, usually over 100.

I do not know what the business plan is but a lot of these trendy restuarants only plan to be in business for a few years. They make a big spalsh with the look and get people in the door. They get many in the door a second time. The third time doesn't matter as much because they know they will be gone.

I have only gone to the bar there. I enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:29 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Telegram Sam wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:13 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Tried it this weekend. Overall a good dining experience. As newper noted, the atmosphere was great. The chandeliers (?) were pretty sweet and reminded me a bit of Chandelier at Cosmo. Place was full so maybe they fixed their food issue?

We started with calarmi stuffed with goose sausage on a bed of beans. To us it sucked but I overheard the table next to us they loved it. The calamari wasn't fried/breaded at all so I guess they intended the sausage to provide the flavor? For entree both had the venison loin. Totally redeemed the calamari. We both thought it was amazing. Cooked perfectly. Dessert was an oatmeal rasinin cookie ice cream sanwich which was fine. Pretty tasty.

Solid place, not really something to put in the rotation. If there weren't so many other places to explore I'd go again for the venison (Loved it that much).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:43 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
See Kirkwood, beats me in the dining out category!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:51 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Settle. Hardly. :lol: