It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Drinking at Work
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:32 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
It's easy to spend other people's money. I learned my lessons the hard way, burning start-up cash on Steelcase furniture and Herman Miller chairs.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:38 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
It's easy to spend other people's money. I learned my lessons the hard way, burning start-up cash on Steelcase furniture and Herman Miller chairs.

I contracted at a place where all 625 employees and all meeting spaces were equipped with Herman Miller Chairs. It was BlueCross BlueShield Association. (Not to be confused with BlueCross BlueShield of Illinois, BlueCross BlueShield Association is actually a nonprofit.)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:54 am 
Site Admin

Telegram Sam wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I contracted at a place where all 625 employees and all meeting spaces were equipped with Herman Miller Chairs. It was BlueCross BlueShield Association. (Not to be confused with BlueCross BlueShield of Illinois, BlueCross BlueShield Association is actually a nonprofit.)

I guess it comes down to philosophy. One of my core beliefs is that, with few exceptions, a workstation should be functional and not a method to confer status upon favored employees. For example, if you need to meet with people about sensitive subjects all the time, you may require a large private office.

Speaking of the fancy chairs, one day I saw my partner switching his chair with a broken one that was over in the corner. I asked him what the hell he was doing and he said he wanted to be uncomfortable. He had tracked it and when he was comfortable in his seat his call volume dropped precipitously. He ended up with a bad back so I bought him a new chair. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:07 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
And whats with the low end screw together particle board Sauder desk? Also, that isn't an office. Its a small dive apartment with low end berber carpeting.

I don't run my company with Veblen goods. We work econo. I don't have an office, though I certainly could. I belong right on the floor with my guys. Maybe your office looks like the palace at Versailles. If so, I feel bad for your company's investors.

I'm just messing with you. My office is in my house, so yea, it is nice. I figure that I spend a lot of time in my office & I want to be in a place that is nice & comfortable. When I worked at corporate headquarters, I wanted my employees to like their work environment & surroundings & to be comfortable. Employees deserve as much.
I miss corporate like I miss a sharp stick in the eye.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

Scorehead wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
And whats with the low end screw together particle board Sauder desk? Also, that isn't an office. Its a small dive apartment with low end berber carpeting.

I don't run my company with Veblen goods. We work econo. I don't have an office, though I certainly could. I belong right on the floor with my guys. Maybe your office looks like the palace at Versailles. If so, I feel bad for your company's investors.

I'm just messing with you. My office is in my house, so yea, it is nice. I figure that I spend a lot of time in my office & I want to be in a place that is nice & comfortable. When I worked at corporate headquarters, I wanted my employees to like their work environment & surroundings & to be comfortable. Employees deserve as much.

Yeah, I know. I'm not thin-skinned anyway. And the truth is our office isn't much more than a dive apartment without walls. I told my friend it used to be Baltimore Colts headquarters and he still doesn't believe me. I asked him why the fuck he thinks it says "COLTS" in big blue letters on the side of the building. The NFL wasn't always the juggernaut it is today.

Anyway, I think a lot of it has to do with corporate culture. I've never been a guy who defines himself through his job. It's just something I do to make money so I can do what I want. I understand keeping a workforce happy, but I think being treated fairly is really what the employee wants.

My wife is the change management leader on a reconfiguring project at a company of about 700 employees. You should hear all the headaches. The company is trying to establish standards for types of offices and cubes, but there are "special people" who want exceptions. My wife is telling them, you can make whatever rules you want, but it's likely that if you make the one whiner happy, you're going to piss off five or ten others who aren't so vocal and will just silently mope about it. And you have division managers coming from two different schools of thought. The first being that workspace is functional and everyone should just have the set-up he or she requires to effectively perform their jobs. The second being that larger cubes and offices are rewards for a job well done or longevity. Obviously, I'm from the first school and I'm willing to walk the walk. I don't need a big office, so I don't have one.

At the last start-up I was a partner in, we wanted to have a certain look to our offices because clients would be visiting us. Thus, I purchased expensive office furniture and chairs that all matched. As I laid out the offices for the build out, I exercised my own sensibilities regarding what each person needed. For example, the marketing director would be taking many meetings in his office so he got a larger space with side chairs. I put the CEO in the center and gave him an executive desk to reinforce his position. I was the only guy who shared an office, which is how I met my current business partner. I wanted to have him in with me so I could supervise him as he supervised the phone room.

The smallest office went to the sales manager. In fact, the CEO and I had a long discussion about whether we should give him an office at all. We eventually decided he should have a place at headquarters to do paperwork, so we had a small office built out for him with just a small desk and a couple side chairs in case he needed to meet with his salesmen at the office. But we agreed that his office was actually in his car, in the street, in your home where he would be selling our product and driving the company forward. But when this goof saw the small office he cried like a fucking baby. I had to take him out to lunch to explain the whole thing to him but he still wasn't happy. I want to work with men, not fucking babies. Get in the car and sell some windows, you fucking crybaby.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:55 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

Yeah, I know. I'm not thin-skinned anyway. And the truth is our office isn't much more than a dive apartment without walls. I told my friend it used to be Baltimore Colts headquarters and he still doesn't believe me. I asked him why the fuck he thinks it says "COLTS" in big blue letters on the side of the building. The NFL wasn't always the juggernaut it is today.

Anyway, I think a lot of it has to do with corporate culture. I've never been a guy who defines himself through his job. It's just something I do to make money so I can do what I want. I understand keeping a workforce happy, but I think being treated fairly is really what the employee wants.

My wife is the change management leader on a reconfiguring project at a company of about 700 employees. You should hear all the headaches. The company is trying to establish standards for types of offices and cubes, but there are "special people" who want exceptions. My wife is telling them, you can make whatever rules you want, but it's likely that if you make the one whiner happy, you're going to piss off five or ten others who aren't so vocal and will just silently mope about it. And you have division managers coming from two different schools of thought. The first being that workspace is functional and everyone should just have the set-up he or she requires to effectively perform their jobs. The second being that larger cubes and offices are rewards for a job well done or longevity. Obviously, I'm from the first school and I'm willing to walk the walk. I don't need a big office, so I don't have one.

At the last start-up I was a partner in, we wanted to have a certain look to our offices because clients would be visiting us. Thus, I purchased expensive office furniture and chairs that all matched. As I laid out the offices for the build out, I exercised my own sensibilities regarding what each person needed. For example, the marketing director would be taking many meetings in his office so he got a larger space with side chairs. I put the CEO in the center and gave him an executive desk to reinforce his position. I was the only guy who shared an office, which is how I met my current business partner. I wanted to have him in with me so I could supervise him as he supervised the phone room.

The smallest office went to the sales manager. In fact, the CEO and I had a long discussion about whether we should give him an office at all. We eventually decided he should have a place at headquarters to do paperwork, so we had a small office built out for him with just a small desk and a couple side chairs in case he needed to meet with his salesmen at the office. But we agreed that his office was actually in his car, in the street, in your home where he would be selling our product and driving the company forward. But when this goof saw the small office he cried like a fucking baby. I had to take him out to lunch to explain the whole thing to him but he still wasn't happy. I want to work with men, not fucking babies. Get in the car and sell some windows, you fucking crybaby.

The Sales Manager should always get whatever he wants. Always. :D

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

Scorehead wrote:

Well, I agree it's important to keep that guy happy. But when I'm running an organization I would like to have my top execs on board with me philosophically. And as I've explained, if I'm running it we're here to make money, not to stroke our own egos or act like bigshots.

The incident that I related above was my fault in that it never occurred to me that the guy the CEO and I had selected to run our sales team could have such a different viewpoint on how the size of his office correlated to his value. I thought the gigantic draw he was receiving was obvious evidence of how much we thought of him. Apparently, I was mistaken.

On a somehwhat related note, I've been at odds with partners in the past who became upset at how much a salesman was earning. "How can he be making more than we are when he works for us?" I wanted to bang my head against the table. I hope any salesman that works for me can double my salary. I'm sure not going to resent it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8LOLswfTkQ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

Hatchetman wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8LOLswfTkQ

Well, give us some corn starch stories.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:25 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

Well, I agree it's important to keep that guy happy. But when I'm running an organization I would like to have my top execs on board with me philosophically. And as I've explained, if I'm running it we're here to make money, not to stroke our own egos or act like bigshots.

The incident that I related above was my fault in that it never occurred to me that the guy the CEO and I had selected to run our sales team could have such a different viewpoint on how the size of his office correlated to his value. I thought the gigantic draw he was receiving was obvious evidence of how much we thought of him. Apparently, I was mistaken.

On a somehwhat related note, I've been at odds with partners in the past who became upset at how much a salesman was earning. "How can he be making more than we are when he works for us?" I wanted to bang my head against the table. I hope any salesman that works for me can double my salary. I'm sure not going to resent it.

Occasionally one of my Sales guys will make more money than I & I have no problem with it. If you design your sales compensation plan correctly, you can never pay a sales guy enough $. A few years ago my Sales guy in Detroit who typically makes about $100K, earned a $60K end of year bonus. The very next year his bonus was $40K. Since then he has come back to Earth.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Wait, the Colts HQ was once in Chicago or did JORR move to Charm City?

-Hank Kingsley

Last edited by Furious Styles on Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:29 pm 
Site Admin

Furious Styles wrote:
Wait, the Colt HQ was once in Chicago or did JORR move to Charm City?

Skokie, Illinois.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:30 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

There should be a way to measure the amount of time and money wasted on:

Office size
Office Furniture
Job titles

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6