It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:44 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Right about 10:30am, apparently.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/10430303/Best-time-to-drink-a-cup-of-coffee-10.30am.html

Best time to drink a cup of coffee: 10.30am

The best time to drink a cup of coffee to get your daily hit of caffeine is between 9.30am and 11.30am, according to neuroscientists

By Richard Gray, Science Correspondent
1:19PM GMT 06 Nov 2013

It may seem that a cup of strong coffee first thing in the morning is the best way to get yourself going, but in fact waiting until later may be better.

Scientists have worked out that the best time to get a daily hit of caffeine is on average between 9.30am and 11.30am.

This is due to the way caffeine interacts with a key hormone – called cortisol – which helps to regulate the body’s own internal clock and promotes alertness.

Cortisol levels are naturally high shortly after waking up and can remain high for up to an hour afterwards – with the average peak being between 8am and 9am.

Steven Miller, a neuroscientist at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Maryland, argues it is better to then drink caffeine after this peak as it promotes cortisol production.

He said that drinking coffee while levels of this hormone are high can cause people to develop a tolerance of the caffeine it contains, meaning they often need an extra shot in their morning cup to get the same effect.

Writing as part of a light-hearted look at the evidence on his blog, he said: “If we are drinking caffeine at a time when your cortisol concentration in the blood is at its peak, you probably should not be drinking it.

“This is because cortisol production is strongly related to your level of alertness and cortisol peaks for your 24 hour rhythm between 8 and 9am on average

“One of the key principles of pharmacology is use a drug when it is needed. Otherwise, we can develop tolerance to a drug administered at the same dose.

“In other words, the same cup of morning coffee will become less effective and this is probably why I need a shot of espresso in mine now.”

Mr Miller, a neuroscience PhD student, wrote the advice after examining the evidence for how cortisol changes through the day.

Cortisol, which is produced in high levels in times of stress, helps to convert stores of energy into the sugar glucose so that it can be used by the body’s cells.

A burst of energy release in the morning leads to increased alertness but also increases feelings of hunger.

Scientists have also found that cortisol is also responsible for synchronising the internal daily rhythms that operate in the body.

Several studies have shown that cortisol levels increase rapidly shortly after waking and can stay elevated for up to an hour afterwards.

Other scientists have found that drinking coffee in the afternoon can help to offset lapses in attention that occur after a large lunch.

Recent surveys have also revealed that scientists are the heaviest coffee drinkers of all professions, closely followed by those who work in marketing and PR.

Editors and writers come in fourth place behind those working in education while doctors and health care workers feature further down the list.

Mr Miller said: “Although your cortisol levels peak between 8 and 9am, there are a few other times where blood levels peak again – between noon to 1pm, and 5.30 to 6.30pm.

“In the morning then, your coffee will probably be the most effective if you enjoy it between 9.30am and 11.30am, when your cortisol levels are dropping before the next spike.”

However, the exact time of when to drink that morning cup of coffee will vary from person to person depending on their cortisol cycle and the time when they normally get up in the morning.

Early risers may find their ideal time is earlier than those who get to enjoy a lie in.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:46 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I finish my DD large black coffee by around 9:00 each morning. I never drank coffee for the caffeine hit. I just like the taste.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:47 am 

I have had 1 cup of coffee in my life.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:50 am 

denisdman wrote:
I finish my DD large black coffee by around 9:00 each morning. I never drank coffee for the caffeine hit. I just like the taste.

The brew here at work is garbage .... grounds-water ratio too damn high .... and I have no problem with Starbuck's' (alleged) "burnt" coffee either .... cutting through a cup or so here to pretend I'm scientifically testing the theory.

Hawg Ass wrote:
I have had 1 cup of coffee in my life.

You've got the right idea. I have no idea how coffee ever caught on other than it must be slightly better than puddle water. It's entirely for the drug, or very occasionally for the social attachments associated w/ drinking coffee not unlike smoking w/ a small group of fellow addicts.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:52 am 

Just never got involved with it, even in college. The one I had I was duck hunting back home in Arkansas and I was freezing my ass off, anything hot was good that day.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
The best time is at restaurants where you get free refills. With 6 sugars and 4 creams in each cup (even better if they have the flavored creams) it's endless dessert.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:05 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
The best time to drink it is when you have Bailey's in it.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:08 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
The best time to drink it is when you have Bailey's in it.

Kahlua. As much as I don't get heavy into coffee, that shit is a delight.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Hawg Ass wrote:
Just never got involved with it, even in college. The one I had I was duck hunting back home in Arkansas and I was freezing my ass off, anything hot was good that day.

You've had one more than I've had. I reach for my Lipton Lemon Ginseng Green Tea in the mornings. Delicious.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:11 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Drinking coffee sucks the first time but it gets so much better the second time. Here, just have a little taste on the house.

Not really, I don't like coffee. I'll drink a Latte or a Cappuccino though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:15 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Drinking coffee sucks the first time but it gets so much better the second time. Here, just have a little taste on the house.

Not really, I don't like coffee. I'll drink a Latte or a Cappuccino though.

I love the smell of it, but the taste is just god awful. I can't even drink your foo foo drinks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:19 pm 

redskingreg wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

You've had one more than I've had. I reach for my Lipton Lemon Ginseng Green Tea in the mornings. Delicious.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:20 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
redskingreg wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

I have been on a green tea kick at home recently. I enjoy it quite a bit. But at work I need extra caffeine in coffee in order to function

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:23 pm 

I love coffee

Its best within an hour after waking up.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I drink it at varying times throughout the day . I wish more places would keep at least a semi fresh pot ready as sometimes if you want a cup at say 1pm and you stop by the local mini mart often times the timer on the pot will read 3 plus hours since it was last made. Should have toss it and make a new one no later than once an hour.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:36 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I might drink about 10 cups a year. I like it when it's cold outside or if I feel like I'm catching the flu. Other then that,I could live without it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:40 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
badrogue17 wrote:
I drink it at varying times throughout the day . I wish more places would keep at least a semi fresh pot ready as sometimes if you want a cup at say 1pm and you stop by the local mini mart often times the timer on the pot will read 3 plus hours since it was last made. Should have toss it and make a new one no later than once an hour.

That mid afternoon coffee is always a dicey proposition. Best bet is to go to a place that specializes in donuts where they turn over the pots quick enough that they have to brew fresh ones. Good luck walking into a McDonalds at 2pm and ordering coffee....

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Phil McCracken wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

That mid afternoon coffee is always a dicey proposition. Best bet is to go to a place that specializes in donuts where they turn over the pots quick enough that they have to brew fresh ones. Good luck walking into a McDonalds at 2pm and ordering coffee....

Oh no doubt it's hit or miss . Problem is I'm brand loyal to the local mart. I just don't go and take my business elsewhere after a couple bad experiences :wink:

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:09 pm 

Phil McCracken wrote:
redskingreg wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

I have been on a green tea kick at home recently. I enjoy it quite a bit. But at work I need extra caffeine in coffee in order to function

Yep. Me too. Always served hot, too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
I drank a pot of coffee by 10:30. My wife is out of town, and my little guy is sick. So, I was up half the night with him, and up at 5:45 for good.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:02 pm 

The best time for coffee is when you come into work, at your NBA office, and begin your daily correspondence as an NBA player by opening the mail, preferably with your wang out to whip any passersby.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:10 pm 

Zizou wrote:
The best time for coffee is when you come into work, at your NBA office, and begin your daily correspondence as an NBA player by opening the mail, preferably with your wang out to whip any passersby.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:30 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Zizou wrote:

Damn it, Zizou. I had to read this whole damn thread to make sure that joke hadn't been made yet only to be thwarted at the very end.

Worst thing about message board joking.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:37 pm 

Your typical NBA lockerroom....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:13 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Your typical NBA lockerroom....

Looks like the Hoff.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:18 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Zizou wrote:

Damn it, Zizou. I had to read this whole damn thread to make sure that joke hadn't been made yet only to be thwarted at the very end.

Worst thing about message board joking.

:lol: I had to see if someone beat me to this too.