It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FDA bans Trans Fat
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Where will CSFMB get fatty enough food for its challenges?

Post subject: Re: FDA bans Trans Fat
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:38 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Good decision. Now let's get rid of high fructose corn syrup.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I am not in favor of the government making these types of decisions. We've got much bigger issues including a society addicted to lifestyle drugs. The entire weight crisis is a cultural problem that banning HFC and Trans fats is not going to solve. Neither will banning serving sizes, putting calories on the menu, getting rid of Happy Meals, and the like. If the government wanted to do something (which I don't want it to), then it needs to start a campaign like it did to turn the societies view of high fat/sugar foods. It did this with smoking, and it reduced smoking rates significantly. But again, I prefer freedom over government restrictions. Live and let live.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:47 pm 

denisdman wrote:
I am not in favor of the government making these types of decisions. We've got much bigger issues including a society addicted to lifestyle drugs. The entire weight crisis is a cultural problem that banning HFC and Trans fats is not going to solve. Neither will banning serving sizes, putting calories on the menu, getting rid of Happy Meals, and the like.
Are you against all food regulation?

Calorie counts on menus are awesome. I don't know why anyone would not like it unless they want to be ignorant.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:50 pm 

denisdman wrote:
I am not in favor of the government making these types of decisions. We've got much bigger issues including a society addicted to lifestyle drugs. The entire weight crisis is a cultural problem that banning HFC and Trans fats is not going to solve. Neither will banning serving sizes, putting calories on the menu, getting rid of Happy Meals, and the like. If the government wanted to do something (which I don't want it to), then it needs to start a campaign like it did to turn the societies view of high fat/sugar foods. It did this with smoking, and it reduced smoking rates significantly. But again, I prefer freedom over government restrictions. Live and let live.

How is including a calorie count on a menu any different than calorie counts on packaging? Are you against this as well? What is wrong with a company having to tell customers what they are consuming?

Last edited by Douchebag on Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:54 pm 
100000 CLUB

I want my government to banned harmful things from my food. I'm not smart enough to know what is in it and if the things in it are harmful to me. All I know is if it tastes good or not

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
Nas wrote:
I want my government to banned harmful things from my food. I'm not smart enough to know what is in it and if the things in it are harmful to me. All I know is if it tastes good or not

There's a line though. Sure I want the government to have some regulation to prevent rat poison from being in food, but people need to take it upon themselves to limit trans fat intake etc.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:07 pm 
100000 CLUB

Northside_Dan wrote:
Nas wrote:

There's a line though. Sure I want the government to have some regulation to prevent rat poison from being in food, but people need to take it upon themselves to limit trans fat intake etc.

I wouldn't even know what food has trans fat in it. I didn't even know what it was until recently. Even the food that say "Trans Fat Free" has it in it. If this is something that will kill people then they should have done this a long time ago.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
What will Long John Silvers do?????

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:15 pm 
100000 CLUB

redskingreg wrote:

Serve food? Who still eats there?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:20 pm 

Nas wrote:
redskingreg wrote:

I just know them as being one of the few places that still uses the trans fat-heavy oil. Most have gotten rid of it, but LJS still rocks it.

Edit: looks like they started phasing that out this year.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/08/ ... g-fat-oil/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
it is amazing they are still in business

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:39 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
denisdman wrote:

How is including a calorie count on a menu any different than calorie counts on packaging? Are you against this as well? What is wrong with a company having to tell customers what they are consuming?

First off, the calorie count on the menu is nothing like the packaging of stuff bought in the store. Store bought stuff is labeled for full nutritional content.

Calorie content was never on restaurant menus and I did just find. I am pretty sure eating a salad or fresh fruit was "good" and eating cheeseburgers are bad. I don't need big brother telling me that the cheeseburger has 1,200 calories. But I get the nanny state mentality. We should be warned about every hazard in life.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:42 pm 

Nas wrote:

You said that, not me.

In any case, things like trans fats are harmful especially in excess. But then again so are many of things we eat everyday. It's all about moderation.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
How can we defy the Big Trans Fat lobby?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Nas wrote:
redskingreg wrote:

who ever ate there? We had one out here for like 3 days, the only customers were off duty managers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:44 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
Nas wrote:
redskingreg wrote:

who ever ate there? We had one out here for like 3 days, the only customers were off duty managers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:47 pm 

And this one, for the hell of it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:05 pm 

Do you remember what Anita Hill said about Clarence Thomas and Long Xong Silver?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:22 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Do you remember what Anita Hill said about Clarence Thomas and Long Xong Silver?

is that what he called it ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:22 pm 

pizza_Place: maciano's
I like the menu requirements because you don't know what is in most of the food you order. My wife liked the oriental chicken salad from applebee's. Didn't sound terrible until we found out it packed 1400 calories and 100 grams of fat.

I also love me some long john's silvers. Although my favorite there was their chicken.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:23 pm 
100000 CLUB

denisdman wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
denisdman wrote:

First off, the calorie count on the menu is nothing like the packaging of stuff bought in the store. Store bought stuff is labeled for full nutritional content.

Calorie content was never on restaurant menus and I did just find. I am pretty sure eating a salad or fresh fruit was "good" and eating cheeseburgers are bad. I don't need big brother telling me that the cheeseburger has 1,200 calories. But I get the nanny state mentality. We should be warned about every hazard in life.

Because of these menus we've found out that all salads aren't great either. Some may be worst than grabbing that burger.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:24 pm 

Bagels wrote:
denisdman wrote:

is that what he called it ?

Dong=John

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:25 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Calorie counts are not "nanny state mentality" at all. They are informing you so you can make a decision. You can't complain about the government banning or limiting the use of things and then complain about the government providing you more information to let you make the determination.

Calorie counts are great. They are everywhere here. I know it is law in NYC. I'm not sure if it is state wide but they all basically upgraded to them anyways.

The only argument against calorie counts are that you want to be intentionally ignorant.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Nas wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Because of these menus we've found out that all salads aren't great either. Some may be worst than grabbing that burger.

Boom. Salads, chicken sandwiches, fish sandwiches, oatmeal etc all items that are marketed by the companies as healthy but are faaaaaar from. A simple little check on companies bullshitting consumers. If it threatens their business model then good riddance.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:52 pm 

Rick, if the government wants to provide the info fine. But instead, they are forcing private businesses to provide the information against their will. But whatever. I get it, we are all hoping the government will protect us from evil money grubbing corporations. We're too dumb to know any better.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:53 pm 

http://consumerist.com/2013/11/07/psych ... -5-yr-old/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:55 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Rick, if the government wants to provide the info fine. But instead, they are forcing private businesses to provide the information against their will. But whatever. I get it, we are all hoping the government will protect us from evil money grubbing corporations. We're too dumb to know any better.
For a libertarian who believes in "individual liberty" you seem very willing to put the "liberty" of a corporation over your own.

There is no damage done whatsoever in forcing them to provide information on the food they are selling. Businesses do it all the time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:58 pm 

If I don't like the food a place serves, I stop going there. It's as free market as it gets. If I want to know the calorie count, I would ask. Frankly I don't care as I know processed foods have a lot of calories.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:59 pm 

denisdman wrote:
If I want to know the calorie count, I would ask.

And by your rules, they could tell you pound sand.