It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: FDA bans Trans Fat
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:01 pm 

denisdman wrote:
If I don't like the food a place serves, I stop going there. It's as free market as it gets. If I want to know the calorie count, I would ask. Frankly I don't care as I know processed foods have a lot of calories.
Calorie counts are more convenient with literally no downside. This is the problem with Libertarians. They have a lot of really good ideas but they are so in love with finding injustice that they get mad when a corporation is required to provide useful information to people with no downside whatsoever.

denis, can you tell me how calorie counts affect your personal liberty?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:04 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
Douchebag wrote:
denisdman wrote:
If I want to know the calorie count, I would ask.

And by your rules, they could tell you pound sand.

Or just flat out lie. Yeah that double cheeseburger is like 50 calories....order two you are good

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:05 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Does this burger contain asbestos?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
denisdman wrote:
If I don't like the food a place serves, I stop going there. It's as free market as it gets. If I want to know the calorie count, I would ask. Frankly I don't care as I know processed foods have a lot of calories.
Calorie counts are more convenient with literally no downside. This is the problem with Libertarians. They have a lot of really good ideas but they are so in love with finding injustice that they get mad when a corporation is required to provide useful information to people with no downside whatsoever.

denis, can you tell me how calorie counts affect your personal liberty?

Calorie counts have no impact on my liberty unless I run a small business that serves food. It imposes a cost on my business in terms of doing a calorie count analysis and then the risk of getting sued if the calorie counts posted are deemed to be off.

It is government regulation gone amok. You folks think this stuff is all free. Government rules and regulations impose a high cost to society, and this is just one small example. I am all for food safety standards, but you have to draw a line. We got along fine without calories posted on restaurant menus for a long time.

If the restaurant told me to go pound sand, then they would lose my business if that is my big concern.

Last post here for me on this subject as I have now answered your questions. I am not going to make this into a 20 page thread, which I know Brick is willing to do. We obviously have different opinions on the role of government. I am ok with that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:15 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Calorie counts have no impact on my liberty unless I run a small business that serves food. It imposes a cost on my business in terms of doing a calorie count analysis and then the risk of getting sued if the calorie counts posted are deemed to be off.
Are you against food testing because I am 100% positive that calorie counts are simply part of standard food testing. Do you really think that any food company doesn't know the calorie counts?
denisdman wrote:
It is government regulation gone amok. You folks think this stuff is all free. Government rules and regulations impose a high cost to society, and this is just one small example. I am all for food safety standards, but you have to draw a line. We got along fine without calories posted on restaurant menus for a long time.
You picked a terrible line though. Once again, calorie counts are GOOD for people. It gives them more information to let them make a free choice.
denisdman wrote:
If the restaurant told me to go pound sand, then they would lose my business if that is my big concern.
They'd lie to you and probably replace your hamburger meat with rat meat and you'd never know.
denisdman wrote:
Last post here for me on this subject as I have now answered your questions. I am not going to make this into a 20 page thread, which I know Brick is willing to do. We obviously have different opinions on the role of government. I am ok with that.
This is not my last post on the subject.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
denisdman wrote:

An enormous overreaction. Here is New York's law on who is required to post calorie counts:
Quote:
Covered FSEs, including mobile food vending units, within New York City must post calorie
information prominently on menus and menu boards. The requirement applies to FSEs that:
• Are required to hold a New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
(NYC DOHMH) permit
• Belong to a group of 15 or more FSEs that operate under common ownership or are individually
franchised, whether locally or nationally, or do business under the same name
• Offer substantially the same menu items, in servings that are standardized for portion size
and content

Small businesses are more or less exempt.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Does this burger contain asbestos?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Kirkwood wrote:
• Offer substantially the same menu items, in servings that are standardized for portion size
and content
[/quote]

that's the only issue that complicates matters....i don't go to too many fast food places these days but I was at Chic Fil A last Saturday and they have the calorie counts on the menu, but it's a range , like 720-1130....obviously depending on what drink you get, what side, what condiments, etc.

i agree with Rick that it's a good thing, but it can get really complicated quick. i also think if you feel the need to count calories at a fast food place, you probably shouldn't be eating at one. kinda like if you have to ask, it's too expensive.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:38 pm 

Bagels wrote:
that's the only issue that complicates matters....i don't go to too many fast food places these days but I was at Chic Fil A last Saturday and they have the calorie counts on the menu, but it's a range , like 720-1130....obviously depending on what drink you get, what side, what condiments, etc.
I don't know what it is like there but here they almost always have the calorie count for the item and the count for the value meal which is a wide range as diet coke vs. big cup of sugar makes a big difference.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
They shouldn't even have to list ingredients. WHY WON'T THEY LET THE FREE MARKET DECIDE!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:44 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
KDdidit wrote:
They shouldn't even have to list ingredients. WHY WON'T THEY LET THE FREE MARKET DECIDE!

:lol:

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
R.I.P. Margarine.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
I find the government's transphobia quite disturbing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Damn the man, holding us fats down...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I couldn't disagree more. This is one area where I wish the government would get more involved but only if it was for making food safer.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:37 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
lipidquadcab wrote:
Damn the man, holding us fats down...

I'm not sure it's the man that is doing that. :P

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:57 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Bread , Pasta & Dairy are evil. Eliminate them from your diet & you will lose weight & feel great.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:40 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Big Chicagoan wrote:
R.I.P. Margarine.

why in the hell anyone would use margarine is beyond me

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Scorehead wrote:
Bread , Pasta & Dairy are evil. Eliminate them from your diet & you will lose weight & feel great.

What made you make this decision. It's a tough one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Scorehead wrote:
Bread , Pasta are evil. .

Along with bread and pasta I hear that dinner rolls, croissants and lasagna are also bad for you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
What's worse for you, carbs or sugar?

I can live without fried food quite easily and I can cut down on carbs if I put in the effort, but my big weakness is desserts.

I just tried an experiment where I played hockey 7 out of 10 days, but didn't diet to see if I can lose weight like that. Turns out I can't. Weigh the exact same as I did 10 days ago :(

So, now I'm going to eliminate dairy (not a huge part of my diet), soda (I like a coke with meals) and desserts and hopefully I can lose the 20 pounds I've been "trying" to lose for months now.

Going to Cancun in January 21 for the honeymoon and need to look good in my bikini.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:58 pm 

shakes wrote:
What's worse for you, carbs or sugar?

I can live without fried food quite easily and I can cut down on carbs if I put in the effort, but my big weakness is desserts.

I just tried an experiment where I played hockey 7 out of 10 days, but didn't diet to see if I can lose weight like that. Turns out I can't. Weigh the exact same as I did 10 days ago :(

So, now I'm going to eliminate dairy (not a huge part of my diet), soda (I like a coke with meals) and desserts and hopefully I can lose the 20 pounds I've been "trying" to lose for months now.

Going to Cancun in January 21 for the honeymoon and need to look good in my bikini.

:puker:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Rick, if the government wants to provide the info fine. But instead, they are forcing private businesses to provide the information against their will. But whatever. I get it, we are all hoping the government will protect us from evil money grubbing corporations. We're too dumb to know any better.
For a libertarian who believes in "individual liberty" you seem very willing to put the "liberty" of a corporation over your own.