It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CRISP
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
I have and will will try wings ANYWHERE! I would tell you almost anytime I am doing work on the Southside I go and try wings at some place someone tells me to stop!

Some of my all time Favorite wings are at the gas station on Lincoln Highway just East of the I 57 turnoff and a place called TARKS in Miami.

Yakzees and Buffalo Joes used to be in that upper echelon, but both places now just order the mini mini wings, its like nibbling on crawfish! SELLOUTS

All that said CRISP! This place is the damn Bomb! 2940 Broadway! I know its been there for a couple of years, just never made the call till tonight!

They give you 7 sauces, I tried 3 and all are excellent.

Plus they give you the whole damn wing. So an order of 5 wings is enough for one person. It would be 10 wings at any bar, plus the bar wings would be smaller.

If this place was in the "community" this place would be talked about like a chicago landmark! Trust me , get some!

Ironically, I was at Whole Foods, saw the wings, looked terrible, driving home and see a sign for the new BIG AND SMALLS opening on Belmont and Kenmore soon, which does some great deep fried fish (Orleans location), made me want some crunchy spice sweet stuff, thus made the crisp call.

try iT! dO IT!

Post subject: Re: CRISP
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:18 pm 

Not sure who was asking for a wing call for Super Big game Sunday, but this is my call now. forgot about it!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:23 pm 

I will try this place. Love findig new good wings.

You don't think Toons has upper-level wings?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:56 am 

spanky wrote:
I will try this place. Love findig new good wings.

You don't think Toons has upper-level wings?

toons has good solid wings.

I am sorry I cant remember which of the sauces was better than the other, but I think there are 3 or 4 options. I am ordering 3 of them. I think the Seoul sauce is the call.

You will be digging them.

As many know, I usually dont toss out the real good call.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:21 pm 

At capacity, taking no more orders. LOL

Guess a few people might like it

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:45 pm 

if you ever go to madison you have to try JJ's chicken. i promise you, they are the worst wings you will ever order in your entire life. its the type of stuff you bring back to the cashier and say "what the fuck is this?" while you physically push his nose in it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:46 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
if you ever go to madison you have to try JJ's chicken. i promise you, they are the worst wings you will ever order in your entire life. its the type of stuff you bring back to the cashier and say "what the fuck is this?" while you physically push his nose in it.

Why would you go somewhere on somebodies recommendations to have the worst of something they have ever tasted?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:08 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

Why would you go somewhere on somebodies recommendations to have the worst of something they have ever tasted?

shut up bernstein go home

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:42 am 

I've tried Crisp last year and thought there wings were ok... nothing special. IF you want to try the best wings in Chicago you got to go to 'Great Sea Chinese Restaurant' and get there Chicken Wings which are frenched (meaning before cooking all meat is pushed up the bone) to look like a lollipop.

Great Sea Chinese Restaurant
3254 W Lawrence Ave
http://www.yelp.com/biz/great-sea-chine ... nt-chicago

Also the sister restaurant of Great Seas is called 'Take Me Out' in Pilson which is owned by the Great Seas owners daughter and serve the same chicken wings:

Take Me Out
1502 W 18th St
http://www.yelp.com/biz/take-me-out-chicago

Also if you want more American style with a twist another place which has fantastic wings is Barn & Company in Lincoln Park by Depaul. Their wings are Smofried wings which are smoked, rubbed & fried.

Barn & Company
950 W Wrightwood Ave
http://barnandcompany.com/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:35 am 

IkeSouth wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

shut up bernstein go home

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:59 am 

1. JJ fish....Ike once again breaking no news.

2. Great Seas, wings look good, Asian places usually make some good wings...yeah, I know what Frenching is ! Crisp is Asian and some great sauce

3. Barn and Co. SUCKS! Had the wings...had everything...terrible. Its a bar, that tried to be a smokehouse ....and it sucks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:59 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
polster wrote:
I've tried Crisp last year and thought there wings were ok... nothing special. IF you want to try the best wings in Chicago you got to go to 'Great Sea Chinese Restaurant' and get there Chicken Wings which are frenched (meaning before cooking all meat is pushed up the bone) to look like a lollipop.

Those are awesome. My family gets them every Christmas Eve. Great Sea is an interesting place. A Chinese restaurant run by Koreans so it's somewhat of a hybrid. Still, I don't consider their wings a proper entry in this discussion. They're a different animal.

As bigfan and good dolphin often point out, Yak-zie's and Buffalo Joes's have definitely gone with smaller birds. Sometimes those things at Yak-zies look like they were pulled off a pigeon. But the thing that makes the wings is the sauce. And to me, those two are still the best I've ever had. Put a gun to my head and I'm going with Yak-zie's, which is sacrilege for an Evanston guy. But Buffalo Joe's are great too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:02 am 
Site Admin

bigfan wrote:
Asian places usually make some good wings...yeah, I know what Frenching is !

Asians often butcher chickens with no regard to the joints, simply chopping the bird with a cleaver and leaving sharp bones in the process.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:04 am 

I will not go back to Buffalo Joes. Had some last year and as we walked out....I asked where they got Hummingbird wings? Some of the wings were just so small and smashed, I felt like asking for a refund. Each year I have gone they have got smaller and smaller. Same with the other seafood location. These guy are living on reputation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:09 am 
Site Admin

bigfan wrote:
I will not go back to Buffalo Joes. Had some last year and as we walked out....I asked where they got Hummingbird wings? Some of the wings were just so small and smashed, I felt like asking for a refund. Each year I have gone they have got smaller and smaller. Same with the other seafood location. These guy are living on reputation

I know the wings are smaller, but the sauce is still the same great stuff. Frankly, I don't want my wings too big. It fucks up the meat/sauce ratio. For the same reason I never order a jumbo hot dog. It throws the meat/condiment ratio out of whack. I'd rather just get two regular dogs. Double order of Suicides and an order of waffle fries at Buffalo Joe's and I'm good to go. I do resent the fact that the cheap asses use RC instead of Coke or at least Pepsi, but what can you do?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:16 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
bigfan wrote:

I know the wings are smaller, but the sauce is still the same great stuff. Frankly, I don't want my wings too big. It fucks up the meat/sauce ratio. For the same reason I never order a jumbo hot dog. It throws the meat/condiment ratio out of whack. I'd rather just get two regular dogs. Double order of Suicides and an order of waffle fries at Buffalo Joe's and I'm good to go. I do resent the fact that the cheap asses use RC instead of Coke or at least Pepsi, but what can you do?

Do you and biggie have something against just asking for more sauce?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:23 am 
Site Admin

Seacrest wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
bigfan wrote:

Do you and biggie have something against just asking for more sauce?

A buffalo wing is a self-contained food item. I don't want to prepare my own.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:28 am 

returning to my Rib sauce issue was not "MORE" sauce....it was the lack of getting enough sauce...or better yet almost an absence of sauce

if a wing requires more sauce, that place can close the doors now,.....just like Suck ass Sweet baby Rays closed their days after the great lack of sauce incident of 2013

The wing should be tossed in the sauce

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:35 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
:lol: :lol:

I stand corrected. My apologies to both of you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:46 am 
Site Admin

Seacrest wrote:
:lol: :lol:

I stand corrected. My apologies to both of you.

:lol: I don't like doing work that is already accounted for in the price, e.g. bagging my own groceries, saucing my own wings. Sometimes when I'm at my downtown office I go to a little place on Wells called Off The Tracks. I'll still get a bacon and egg sandwich there occasionally, but I'll never buy a hot dog there again. They hand you plain hot dogs and you have to dress them yourself. What the fuck is up with that?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:18 am 

Off the tracks is gross.

That guy makes the burgers at about 9 AM and lets them sit in a metal pan of grease, then when the lunch rush hits, they toss it on the grill and it tastes like a grease filled patty. I remember ordering my burger and in 30 seconds my food was ready....I looked at the grill and the guy is taking fully cooked burgers from the grease pool and just melting the cheese! Not going back

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:35 pm 

bigfan wrote:
3. Barn and Co. SUCKS! Had the wings...had everything...terrible. Its a bar, that tried to be a smokehouse ....and it sucks!

Been there twice.
The first time we thought it was pretty good - had the brisket and fried pickles and liked both.
Thought it was good enough that we took friends with us the next time - all of us got brisket - and it was so bad we were embarrassed. It was gray and lifeless, pretty flavorless. Must have been using the cheap pellets that day. :wink:

Probably won't be back.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:04 pm 

http://www.windycitybbqclassic.com/behind-the-curtain.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:21 pm 

bigfan wrote:

"barbecue life coach"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:47 pm 
Site Admin

bigfan wrote:

No electricity! Now we know what Spaulding can make for her next party!*

*Come on, Rick. This is supposed to be your post. I took the liberty since you were undoubtedly busy working hard.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:02 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
bigfan wrote:

No electricity! Now we know what Spaulding can make for her next party!*

*Come on, Rick. This is supposed to be your post. I took the liberty since you were undoubtedly busy working hard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thifYDl07IE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:52 pm 

I actually went to this last year....kinda.....I had to take someone to a seminar on Northerly Isle, then pick her up 1 hr later. So I saw this, parked and walked over. It was too early in the am, so many just had fires lit.

Anyone want in on my TEAM?????

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 pm 

bigfan wrote:

I'm in.
Me and you vs. the BBQ life coach and his debt collector.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:15 pm 

spanky wrote:
bigfan wrote:

I'm in.
Me and you vs. the BBQ life coach and his debt collector.

that made me laugh! :)