It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reverse sear?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:16 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Cooking some thick ribeye steaks tomorrow, and I don't think I'm going to use the grill due to the weather. I've thought about cooking them using the "reverse sear" method where you slowly cook them in the oven at a low temp and then give them a crust under the boiler (or on a hot cast iron pan) at the last minute.

Anyone tried this method or should I just broil them?

Post subject: Re: Reverse sear?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:23 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
What is the benefit of a reverse sear?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:26 am 

Sounds like a sex position.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:38 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Cooking some thick ribeye steaks tomorrow, and I don't think I'm going to use the grill due to the weather. I've thought about cooking them using the "reverse sear" method where you slowly cook them in the oven at a low temp and then give them a crust under the boiler (or on a hot cast iron pan) at the last minute.

Anyone tried this method or should I just broil them?

Sack up, and grill them.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:40 am 

Yeah, other than rain there is no weather that will stop me from grilling. I have a path shoveled to and around my grill at all times.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:40 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
SpiralStairs wrote:
What is the benefit of a reverse sear?

Some say it gives more even cooking (pink throughout vs. a red center with brown outer ring). Yeah, there's a joke somewhere in there...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:33 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
I start with steaks just out of the fridge. That way when you sear, you will not cook meat much past the surface, about 1/16th of an inch. The rest if the cooking is done in the oven.
I salt and pepper the steak, let it sit a few minutes. Turn burner on high and sear on each side 2-3 min or until crust forms. Steaks will still be very squishy when poked with your finger.
I them put them on a wire oven rack over a cookie sheet in a 400 degree oven for about ten minutes or so. I like mine just past rare. I take them out just when the meat starts to get firm when poked. Let them set for about five min to let juices redistribute.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:49 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
I've had great success using a cast iron pan... heat the oven up to 500 or so with nothing in the pan and the pan in the oven. Take your steaks and season them, then when the pan is warmed up, I throw a burner on, and then throw some oil into the pan, and immediately put in the steaks. You can get really good charring this way. Drop your oven temp down to 350. A few minutes per side (I add a little butter after the first minute or so) and then put the pan back in the oven to finish to desired doneness.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:52 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Mr. Reason wrote:
I start with steaks just out of the fridge. .

NEVER

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
bigfan wrote:
Mr. Reason wrote:

NEVER

I let them warm to room temperature, before they hit the grill.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:57 am 

yup!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
newper wrote:
I've had great success using a cast iron pan... heat the oven up to 500 or so with nothing in the pan and the pan in the oven. Take your steaks and season them, then when the pan is warmed up, I throw a burner on, and then throw some oil into the pan, and immediately put in the steaks. You can get really good charring this way. Drop your oven temp down to 350. A few minutes per side (I add a little butter after the first minute or so) and then put the pan back in the oven to finish to desired doneness.

Ding ding. This is my method, too.

Heat cast iron skillet to 500 degrees
Take skillet out, throw on burner at high. Put steaks in, cook 30 seconds on each side. Return skillet back to 500-degree oven for approximately 2-3 minutes each side. Pull skillet out and let rest on stove (not the hot burner) for about five minutes. Voila

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:37 pm 

pizza_Place: from scratch
The reverse sear strikes me as counterintuitive. The purpose of the sear is to seal in the juices during cooking. If you are searing steaks after they have been cooked, and the moisture has run or steamed out, it's strictly for aesthetics.

Incidently, if you ever feel the urge to whip up a little impromptu surf and turf at the office, the ceramic warmer plate of a glass pot coffee maker can provide a nice sear in a pinch, provided your coworkers aren't weird about things like that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
bigfan wrote:
Mr. Reason wrote:

NEVER

Point for the bagman...

...unless you are going to a very rare center...than carry on.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Goggles wrote:
The reverse sear strikes me as counterintuitive. The purpose of the sear is to seal in the juices during cooking. If you are searing steaks after they have been cooked, and the moisture has run or steamed out, it's strictly for aesthetics.

Incidently, if you ever feel the urge to whip up a little impromptu surf and turf at the office, the ceramic warmer plate of a glass pot coffee maker can provide a nice sear in a pinch, provided your coworkers aren't weird about things like that.

The whole "searing seals in the flavor" is a myth. All searing does is create flavor on the outside...which is a very good thing in and of itself.

I could see the "reverse sear" working just fine, but I'm not sure there would be any benefit to reversing the order...I would think you would rather do the really high temperature searing before the lower temp stuff, since it would promote the redistribution of the juices in the meat quicker during resting.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:59 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Goggles wrote:

What's on your Christmas menu Goggles?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

Chus wrote:
bigfan wrote:
Mr. Reason wrote:

NEVER

I let them warm to room temperature, before they hit the grill.

I do for the grill but not this method. I find it works better with cold steaks. If they are at room temp, they cook too much in an effort to get the proper crust.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:11 pm 

The method is doomed.

Cold protein hit with high temp makes the meat fibers tougher.

And "Searing in the juices" is also a myth. It tastes better due to the carmelization of the product. Doesnt keep anything in.

learn a lot when you own a tavern and have to attend city of chicago food prep licensing classes. Also learn more on Sunday nights when it is slow hanging with chefs creating new funky stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:19 pm 
1000 CLUB

bigfan wrote:
The method is doomed.

And "Searing in the juices" is also a myth. It tastes better due to the carmelization of the product. Doesnt keep anything in.

learn a lot when you own a tavern and have to attend city of chicago food prep licensing classes. Also learn more on Sunday nights when it is slow hanging with chefs creating new funky stuff.

Didn't The Method is Doomed used to post here?

It's been my experience it doesn't toughen them up at all, otherwise I wouldn't continue to do it. Carry on.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:42 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Goggles wrote:

Not sure. Usually I volunteer at a soup kitchen on Christmas, but I was asked not to return this year. I'll throw something together. I'm not picky.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:08 pm 
Site Admin

Goggles wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Goggles wrote:

Not sure. Usually I volunteer at a soup kitchen on Christmas, but I was asked not to return this year. I'll throw something together. I'm not picky.

:lol:

Dare i ask what happened?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:40 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Goggles wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Goggles wrote:

Let's just say the homeless are not big Seinfeld fans, and tend to take things way too literally.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:46 pm 
Site Admin

Seacrest wrote:
Goggles wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Goggles wrote:

Goggles wrote:
Let's just say the homeless are not big Seinfeld fans, and tend to take things way too literally.

Did you work at the same kitchen that chas does?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:29 pm 

Mr. Reason wrote:
bigfan wrote:
The method is doomed.

It's been my experience it doesn't toughen them up at all, otherwise I wouldn't continue to do it. Carry on.

Its called science. Not really my opinion. Then the fibers toughen up and also makes the steak harder to cook evenly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:17 pm 
1000 CLUB

bigfan wrote:
Mr. Reason wrote:
bigfan wrote:
The method is doomed.

Its called science. Not really my opinion. Then the fibers toughen up and also makes the steak harder to cook evenly.

I understand the science. The heat only effects the surface of the meat for four minutes. The fibers inside are unaffected as they are cooked slower in the oven. Never had a bad steak with this doomed method. I find I get a more evenly rare steak this way. Only about a 1/16 of in inch of he steak is cooked. The rest is perfect. I guess I'll keep doing it wrong.