It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Tried Smalls Bar-b-que for takeout with the wife last weekend.

http://www.smallschicago.com/

Place is really good and unique. We were wondering how it would stack up to Smoque given their proximity to each other and what we found out is that they are unique from each other and not really in direct competition.

Smalls is bbq, but not in the traditional sense. There is no bbq sauce for one thing. The menu is quite small. We tried three things, two were home runs and one was strike out.

First up was the pulled pork sandwich. Comes with a mustard-bacon sauce. It looked great, but it was very dry. The sauce had no taste. Came with a side of fries which were delicious. Loved the banana ketchup it came with.

Next up was the brisket platter.

The brisket was outstanding, some of the best I've had. Definitely in the same ballpark as Smoque, probably a shade below. But, what really stood out was the sauce. It came wit a tiger cry sauce which had an asian flair to it. Extremely tasty. Also came with garlic rice and texas toast. Both really good. The wife opted for the veggie side of grilled beats with a garlic mayo sauce. Loved it.

Next up was the brisket bibimbap whatever the fuck that means.

Never had anything like it, it was amazing. Asian type dish with brisket over rice with kimchi, veggies, chili paste, sesame seeds and a fried egg. They hit this one out of the park. This type of dish is what makes it unique from a place like Smoque and why we won't have to compare the two when deciding where to go for bbq.

Need to go back and try the ribs and fried chicken.

Overall, a great take out place. Parking is sketchy, I just blocked the alley with my hazards on. Highly recommended if you are in the area. Prices were good as well.

I rate it a 8/10 with a 2pt deduction for the pulled pork dish.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Pics look pretty good. I have never seen food served and eaten off a state issued prison tray before.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:11 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
T-Bone wrote:
Pics look pretty good. I have never seen food served and eaten off a state issued prison tray before.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:24 pm 

T-Bone wrote:

then you haven't lived, my friend.....

Although since I got it to go I feel a little cheated.

Also, they serve Mexican Coca Cola which apparently is pretty common now. They also sell it at the Jewels by my house. For those who don't know the Mexican version is better cause they use real sugar.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:25 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
T-Bone wrote:
Was thinking the exact same thing.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:31 pm 

T-Bone wrote:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
shakes wrote:

Never had anything like it, it was amazing. Asian type dish with brisket over rice with kimchi, veggies, chili paste, sesame seeds and a fried egg. They hit this one out of the park. This type of dish is what makes it unique from a place like Smoque and why we won't have to compare the two when deciding where to go for bbq.

Whoa, this has me very intrigued. I don’t really care for the taste of barbeque sauce at all. Ribs, burgers with BBQ sauce , etc. I haven’t enjoyed. This looks fantastic.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:50 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Thanks, Shakes.

Looks like we are going here then next time we are in the city. Wife's a vegetarian and she would love that dish. I think it looks awesome. Garlic rice sounds damn good. Brisket looks good also.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:40 pm 

geeze no wonder you guys are fat with smelly farts

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:43 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I just want a guy or organization that passes judgment without or at least before eating anything. I have no time for fairly formed opinions.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:46 am 

IkeSouth wrote:
geeze no wonder you guys are fat with smelly farts

I still can't believe an actual adult person spends time doing this.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:24 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
Thanks, Shakes.

Looks like we are going here then next time we are in the city. Wife's a vegetarian and she would love that dish. I think it looks awesome. Garlic rice sounds damn good. Brisket looks good also.

That dish is not vegetarian, it has brisket in it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:02 pm 

Stopped at Lil Guys in Bucktown at Damen and Armitage. Tiny little sandwich and pizza place with the worst strip mall parking lot I've ever seen. But, love the sandwiches. One really stands out and they only offer it friday and saturday. its called the Ultimate Homemade Rueben. What they do is take a pizza dish, put in some unmade rye bread and on top of that goes the homemade corned beef, sauer kraut and swiss and they bake the bread around the filling so you get almost like a rueben calzone. Comes with 1000 on the side. Amazing sandwich, one of the best ruebens I've ever had.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Down in Texas, they serve BBQ on trays because the portions are huge. It's usually served on butchers paper witch cant support the servings, thus the trays.

Putting a few slices of brisket on a tray looks..... not so hot. Go cut some oak boards and serve it on those.