It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:17 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
BYOB, post Bulls game chow... who's coming with me?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:18 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
No Mas!

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:00 pm 

Oh my God I haven't been to this place in years. I got heartburn just reading the name. Good times.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Ddddduuuuuudddeeee....

So many better places! Sooooooo many....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:54 pm 

if you are really just stopping for the Tacos, the original La Pa on Ashland and divsion...and Las Asadas on Western....

Speaking of....Anyone been to the Burger place that used to be the ORIGINAL ORIGINAL LA PA?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:18 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I like El Presidente. I may go with you, Darkside.

It's always a good late night stop. About ten years ago or so I had a relatively new girlfriend. She had only very recently introduced me to some of her friends. They were all nice people. One guy was a going to school to be a chiropractor and tending bar at Will's Northwoods. Anyway, one night me and two of my friends (one guy has a huge job with Churchill Downs and his personal behavior is downright hilarious in light of his professional accomplishment) were out just getting absolutely shitty. We ended up at El Presidente at about five in the morning. "Hungry Eyes" came on the jukebox or sound system (which was strange because it usually plays only Mexican music). So the three of us are sitting in a both singing along drunkenly like we just stepped off the set of Dirty Dancing. Then I see this guy waiting for takeout tacos at the counter. It's the chiropractor. That was an awkward hello. The next day I talked to my girlfriend. She said, "Oh, I heard you ran into Chad last night." :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:59 am 

Late night drunk, sure El Presidente is OK.

They make fresh guacamole and my sister lives very close, so many times we walk over just to get cups of guac and chips to go. I will always try a taco. Just not good.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
bigfan wrote:
if you are really just stopping for the Tacos, the original La Pa on Ashland and divsion...and Las Asadas on Western....

Speaking of....Anyone been to the Burger place that used to be the ORIGINAL ORIGINAL LA PA?

BF, what's up with you and your penchant for recommending places that get shut down for health code violations? I know the original La Pas is up and running, but not a good sign that their store on Irving Park was shut down months ago and still hasn't been reopened.

Now if you want the best taco in the city you need to head to......Northfield and hit up El Mexican Restaurant in the shopping mall on Waukegan road about a block south of Willow. Best tacos I've had in Illinois, in fact, best tacos I've had outside of Mexico.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:03 pm 

pizza_Place: sit down
shakes wrote:
Best tacos I've had in Illinois, in fact, best tacos I've had outside of Mexico.

only tacos worse than LA and SD tacos are Mexican tacos.

if you don't want to drive to Wisconsin or Iowa for what I'm sure are absolutely fabulous tacos, great tacos in Chicago:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/chavas-tacos-chicago

http://www.yelp.com/biz/la-lagartija-taqueria-chicago-2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
NearWessSideHussra wrote:
shakes wrote:
Best tacos I've had in Illinois, in fact, best tacos I've had outside of Mexico.

if you don't want to drive to Wisconsin or Iowa for what I'm sure are absolutely fabulous tacos, great tacos in Chicago:

That second place looks really good, first one has only one picture so hard to tell.

But you're nuts if you think the tacos in Mexico are bad. Nothing I've had compares to the taco carts I frequented in the mountain town of San Miguel.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:22 pm 

pizza_Place: sit down
Guess it depends...Mexico's not exactly known for their quality standards for butchering meat products. I tend to stick to fish when in Mexico.

La Lagartija Taqueria is pricier than Chavas and it has a full bar with tasty margaritas. It's walking distance to the United Center so a spot to pre-game

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:43 pm 

shakes wrote:
NearWessSideHussra wrote:
shakes wrote:

That second place looks really good, first one has only one picture so hard to tell.

But you're nuts if you think the tacos in Mexico are bad. Nothing I've had compares to the taco carts I frequented in the mountain town of San Miguel.

I agree with Shakes on all issues. (Including my health code violation run! 10,000-1 call!)

1. First taco place , no thanks. Lettuce and tomato are for Gringos!
2. Second place pic looked really good
3. As a long time honorary mexican (Acapulco, La Paz, Mazatlan, cancun and more trips into Nogales than a modern day drug smuggler, I would say every trip I had street cart tacos! and still living.

for a summer we lived in this amazing house in Tubac, the owner rented it out every summer when he went back to Boston, so someone would be there. cheaper than hiring a house sitter I guess. either way, Nogales had the closest grocery store, dining, etc.

Havent been through in 20 years, but nowadays I guess it is the hub of drug trafficking and tunnels, but guess they still have some good tacos!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:13 am 

The only way to eat a taco is with cilantro, onion and a a squeeze of lime over it. Gringo tacos are for taco bell eaters.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:24 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
The only way to eat a taco is with cilantro, onion and a a squeeze of lime over it. Gringo tacos are for taco bell eaters.

Exactly right. Solo cebolla y cilantro! My mom's idea of a "taco" was a hard shell with unseasoned ground beef, cheddar cheese, and chopped lettuce and tomato, like you'd get in grade school on Taco Day.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Regarding tacos...I like both styles. I wish the hard shell / ground beef / chihuahua / tomato taco was called something else. Very American, but tasty.

And then of course the steak / onion / cilantro soft corn tortilla taco is amazing, with some green sauce.

El Presidente has never done me wrong. Super cheap, delicious horchata...I'm a bigfan.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:51 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Mentioned before, but the best taco's are at Peoples Tacos 5944 W. Chicago Ave. They're always shut down by the Board of Health every now and then, but the artery clogging taco's are worth it.

One guy's description on Yelp sums it up pretty well. :lol:

Quote:
My experience at Peeple's Taco was a trip! A buddy and also co-worker of mine lives near Central/Chicago. So we're about to get off work and he asks me if I've ever had Peeple's. "No," I reply. "Shit, dude! We're goin' to Peeple's to get us some tacos! I'm drivin'."

Peeple's tacos are not prepared Mexican style like tacos from e.g., El Farol or Atotonilco. Peeple's proudly serves up awesomely greasy heart-attack ground beef tacos! Soooo tasty joy!!! It is the perfect meal to safely line your stomach either before or after a night of hard drinking. You'll experience Four Happiness from eating one or five of them!

You WILL WAIT for your food! Oh, you bet you will! The large African-American women who work there behind the bulletproof glass pick up the pace for NO ONE!!! One patron waiting for his food banged on the glass "HURRY UP WITH MY FOOD! YOU GONNA MAKE ME MISS MY GOD DAMN BUS!!!" Another patron: "Man, you fat! Move faster!" I don't know about you, fellow Yelpers, but I don't insult the person who's preparing my food.

All in all, I recommend Peeple's to those who rate their food with grease stains. 1 = miso soup and 5 = Peeple's Taco. As Dr. Nick said in the Simpsons episode where Homer gains 63 lbs to go on disability: "if you're not sure about something, rub it against a piece of paper. If the paper turns clear, it's your window to weight gain!"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:59 am 

Getting a health violation means you are doing OK, because if you have the customer base to overcome that , something is good.

And as a guy who has had to deal with asshole health inspectors, that easily could mean nothing.

When they review your place, they give you a score. I think it has to be above 90 and they take off for things such as a ceiling tile falling....because in theory it could fall into the food, and if the person who is certified isnt there when they are there, or if the meat/chicken is on the shelf above the produce, or if something is wrapped and not labeled.

They dont even check if the place is actual clean, they are city employees, do you really think they give a shit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:17 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
bigfan wrote:
do you really think they give a shit.

Yes?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.