It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mariano's
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:23 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
So one opened in Oak Lawn at 111th & Cicero last week, finally made it over there yesterday after work
as expected the place was a madhouse

i like the concept overall and i was definitely not in the right frame of mind for it and felt overwhelmed

thanks to DB, i had tried the pulled pork before (very good) but tried a brisket sandwich...definitely pricey at 9$ but i have to admit it was very tasty. the chick carving it could have trimmed it a bit better...i know brisket is fatty but she gave me a few pieces that were solid 100% fat that i had to pick off. gross

the meat & fish looked...not too good honestly. the fish did not look very fresh and some of the red meat was sitting in pools of blood

i need to go back at a less busy time...it does seem like it would be nice to grab a healthy lunch or something from the salad bar as opposed to a fast food place ,but if it takes 1/2 hour to do so kind of defeats the purpose

Post subject: Re: Mariano's
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:30 am 

Bagels wrote:
the chick carving it could have trimmed it a bit better..

Hank Scorpio wrote:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:35 am 

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:36 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Bagels wrote:
it does seem like it would be nice to grab a healthy lunch or something from the salad bar as opposed to a fast food

Hank Scorpio wrote:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:37 am 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:40 am 

Bagels wrote:
thanks to DB, i had tried the pulled pork before (very good) but tried a brisket sandwich...definitely pricey at 9$ but i have to admit it was very tasty. the chick carving it could have trimmed it a bit better...i know brisket is fatty but she gave me a few pieces that were solid 100% fat that i had to pick off. gross

Yeah, I usually go with the pulled pork. Normally I just buy by the pound, and make my own sandwiches at home.

Their stuff is pretty good though, and one of the best in the suburbs (I know, Tallest Midget...) It's perfect for a Sunday game-day spread. Also, props to their Ribs and Mac & Cheese as well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:43 am 

Douchebag wrote:
Bagels wrote:

Yeah, I usually go with the pulled pork. Normally I just buy by the pound, and make my own sandwiches at home.

Their stuff is pretty good though, and one of the best in the suburbs (I know, Tallest Midget...) It's perfect for a Sunday game-day spread. Also, props to their Ribs and Mac & Cheese as well.

the pizza looked interesting as well...

hoping the crowd dies down a bit after a few weeks. they had some guy playing piano by the entrance... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:44 am 

Bagels wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Bagels wrote:

hoping the crowd dies down a bit after a few weeks. they had some guy playing piano by the entrance... :lol:

The piano is a standard Mariano's thing. I guess they are trying to class up the joint.

I tried the pizza once, and was not impressed. I'd rather buy a frozen one in the store.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:46 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Douchebag wrote:
Bagels wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Bagels wrote:

The piano is a standard Mariano's thing. I guess they are trying to class up the joint.

I tried the pizza once, and was not impressed. I'd rather buy a frozen one in the store.

I've had the pizza a couple times. You have to buy it when it's actually fresh, otherwise you're chancing it on a pie that's been sitting out for 14 hours.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
redskingreg wrote:

I've had the pizza a couple times. You have to buy it when it's actually fresh, otherwise you're chancing it on a pie that's been sitting out for 14 hours.

I made that very mistake last year on Labor Day...stopped in the Mariano's at Western and Roscoe and got a slice of sausage pizza, the last one on the sheet. Figure with Labor Day lack of traffic that pizza was probably sitting out for hours. Ate it and was shitting rivers for 3 days....while on vacation. Not fun.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:17 am 

Picking up some pulled pork for the game tonight. Thanks for the reminder, Baygs...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:22 am 

Douchebag wrote:
Picking up some pulled pork for the game tonight. Thanks for the reminder, Baygs...

That's good stuff. Love the orechiette pasta salad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:51 am 

Douchebag wrote:

:thumright:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:14 pm 

rich people

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:16 pm 

spanky wrote:
rich people

Plus Mariano's keeps their Hopslam in the back. So if you're Joe Shopper and don't know to ask for it, you'd assume they never get it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:34 pm 

redskingreg wrote:
spanky wrote:
rich people

Plus Mariano's keeps their Hopslam in the back. So if you're Joe Shopper and don't know to ask for it, you'd assume they never get it.

so you have to go around to the back door ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:39 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
The back? They never find anything in the back. If they had anything good in the back, they’d put it out in the front.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.