It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:00 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Good story, and it's especially appropriate since the CSFMB Food Critics are out and about lately.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20141001 ... -173907781

Quote:
Chicago Has an Olive Garden, So Why Not an In-N-Out Burger or Tim Hortons?

By Tanveer Ali on October 1, 2014 5:20am
@tanveerali

CHICAGO — On Monday, Chicago's first Olive Garden, an Italian chain restaurant nationally known for its breadsticks, opened in Avondale. While the restaurant seems ubiquitous in the suburbs, it was an event for Chicago, with Gov. Pat Quinn popping in for an appearance.

Culver's, a Wisconsin chain known for its "butterburgers," debuts next spring in Wrigleyville, the first of what the company says will be multiple Chicago restaurants. In May, Chicago's first Sonic Drive-In started serving up frozen drinks in Uptown.

But many other well-known chain restaurants — including those that plenty of city residents have been known to crave — aren't here.

The reason is likely very simple: money.

"Very often, the reason why brands aren't moving into the city are because the demand isn't strong enough for that type of product and the rent tends to be much higher," according to Darren Tristano, a restaurant industry analyst with Chicago-based Technomic.

In the cases of several chains that aren't in Chicago, but count some residents among their fans, the reasons for their absence get very specific.

Here's what we found out about some of those chains, why they aren't here and if they are ever coming:

• Steak 'N' Shake

Closest location: Evanston, 11 miles from Downtown Chicago

Famous for its steakburgers, Steak 'n Shake also happens to serve Chicago-style footlong hot dogs. Just not in Chicago yet.

But local managers of the restaurant say that the company has been looking at locations in Chicago for a Steak 'n Shake Signature restaurant, which is a quick-service version of the original restaurant.

Nothing's official yet.

• Tim Hortons

Closest location: Holland, Mich., 98 miles

The doughnut and coffee chain synonymous with Canada has expansions planned for the Fort Wayne, Ind., and St. Louis areas, but not Chicago, according to spokeswoman Brynn Burton.

"We do not have locations in Chicago and do not have any immediate plans to do so," she wrote in an email.

Chicago's already got hundreds of Dunkin' Donuts and Starbucks locations, so Tim Hortons could be hurting for attention if it rushes in, Tristano said.

As with Culver's, which made a name for itself in Wisconsin and Chicago's suburbs before wanting to enter the city, Tim Hortons is just waiting for its moment, Tristano said.

"The saturation of Dunkin and Starbucks is so heavy they are not necessarily avoiding it but branding it, as they come in around the city, they will build awareness of the brand," Tristano said.

• In-N-Out Burger

Closest location: Allen, Texas, 899 miles

For those who crave the burgers, fries and shakes from this West Coast chain, we've got bad news. In-N-Out Burger's not coming to Chicago anytime soon.

"We do grow pretty slowly and steadily here at In-N-Out Burger and we hope to get there some day, just not in the near-term future," said Carl Van Fleet, vice president of planning and development at the California burger chain.

One of the biggest reasons that In-N-Out hasn't set up shop in the Midwest is because its restaurants only open within 500 miles of its distribution centers.

"That makes Chicago too far away for the time being," Van Fleet said.

• Jack in the Box

Closest location: Indianapolis, 155 miles

During the 1970s, the city was home to 20 Jack in the Box locations, a hamburger chain with roots in California.

The company chose to shut those restaurants down in 1980, opting to focus on developing restaurants in the Southwestern United States, and hasn't come back, said company spokesman Brian Luscomb.

"We love Chicago and we would love to return to the area," Luscomb said, adding "we do not have any near term plans for the area."

Luscomb did say that if someone came forward in Chicago willing to buy Jack in the Box franchises, the company would likely come back and start serving its Jumbo Jack burger.

• Denny's

Closest location: Oak Park, 10 miles

A Denny's spokeswoman did not respond to requests for comment about why the diner seemingly everywhere else in America isn't here.

Tristano said that Denny's only does well when its restaurants have a continuous stream of customers from breakfast to late night. Given how expensive retail space is in Chicago, there are few options for Denny's within the city.

"A brand like Denny's is going to look for close to 24 hours of access," Tristano said.

• Whataburger

Closest location: Birmingham, Ala., 659 miles

This was always a longshot, but a spokesman with the Texas hamburger chain said the Midwest, let alone Chicago, isn't in its future.

“Whataburger is pleased so many of our fans in the Chicago area crave our quality food," said James Turcotte, the company's senior vice president of real estate, in a statement. "While we have no current plans to expand outside of our 10-state region, we hope Chicagoans who may be traveling near one of our markets will stop by and enjoy our fresh, made-to-order burgers."

Other national and regional chains that aren't in Chicago (and whose representatives did not respond to requests for comment) include:

• Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Elk Grove Village, 20 miles

The southern doughnut chain had at least two locations in the city, including at 175 W. Jackson Blvd. and at 4455 S. Pulaski, but they closed just a few years after they opened after the company had financial problems.

• Cracker Barrel, Hammond, Ind., 23 miles

• Waffle House, Pendleton, Ind., 167 miles

Which restaurant chain do you want to come to Chicago? Post a comment below.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:04 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
OVER RATED!!!!!!!!!

No reason to eat that shit, go eat a good burger at a real place if you are going to have a burger!

Epic, Meatheads, RJ Grunts! The salad on a bun with some meat at Fat Burger is only great when used in a FAT BOYS song!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
No place gives you a better burger for the $ than In-N-Out. Shit is cheap, fresh, and tastes damn good.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:31 am 

spmack wrote:
• Denny's
• Cracker Barrel

Maybe on the far southwest side? :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:49 am 

The Denny's is on Harlem Ave and Chicago Ave, so while that's technically not the city limits, it's really only 1 1/2 miles from it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:53 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Big Chicagoan wrote:
No place gives you a better burger for the $ than In-N-Out. Shit is cheap, fresh, and tastes damn good.

being king of the shit fast food realm does not make a good burger, it's just better than the other pieces of crap. Maybe had 5 In and Out burgers in my life and I just have been at the not so great ones.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:13 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Baracco's
All the listed burger joints are just too similar to the stuff for McD, BK, Wendy's that saturate the Chicago market today. For any of these to be successful they have to find a gem of an underserved location because they don't really offer a real product or pricing differentiation. That requires a critical local site selection acumen which is rare and likely grabbed up by the other big boys.

Steak and Shake and Culvers offer a legit product/experience differentiation, so they should be able to slide into spots already served by the big 3. They can just take the lead from CVS (parking their stores right next to Walgreens after Walgreens goes through painstaking site selection process).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:14 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
bigfan wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

being king of the shit fast food realm does not make a good burger, it's just better than the other pieces of crap. Maybe had 5 In and Out burgers in my life and I just have been at the not so great ones.

Or you just don't know what you are talking about.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:17 am 

How about Jack N The Box? I lived in San Jose for awhile and used to love that slop. Better than any other fast food burgers around here outside of the Baconator.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:31 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Bad Apple works for me just fine. No need to IMU up the city by bringing in a bunch of crappy chains. Keep the shit--and the shitheads--in Schaumburg.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:37 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
Bad Apple works for me just fine. No need to IMU up the city by bringing in a bunch of crappy chains. Keep the shit--and the shitheads--in Schaumburg.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: @ "IMU up the city"....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:43 am 

I would much prefer Krystal too as compared to White Castle.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Tall Midget wrote:

Agreed. I live around the corner from that new Olive Garden and can't tell you the level of disgust I felt when it was revealed what that building was going to end up being.

But I;m sure it will do pretty good in my neighborhood given the extremely high level of white trailer trash and dirty mexicans that you find hanging out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
We have Smashburger, Epic and Meatheads- who needs In-N-Out?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
I've had In-N-Out in Phoenix and LA, and I think it's reputation is justified.
they could always build one up here in Kenosha...........

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:27 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
In-n-Out in Wisconsin? Don't mind if I do!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Had In N Out twice while living in Texas. Garbage. Went back a 2nd time after everyone insisted I must have just gotten a bad burger the first time. Why people go crazy over shit like this and the McRib, I will never understand.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:52 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Had In N Out twice while living in Texas. Garbage. Went back a 2nd time after everyone insisted I must have just gotten a bad burger the first time. Why people go crazy over shit like this and the McRib, I will never understand.

You were doing fine until there sir.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:54 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Every other year I go to California. Have not done in and out yet but I always hit Jack in the Box. I don't know if others call it good and I do not care.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:18 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:

In Atlanta, Krystal's wasn't even good at 3am on a Saturday morning. It was horrendous if you ate it sober.

And I'm not a big fan of White Castle, except for their onion rings.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:25 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

In Atlanta, Krystal's wasn't even good at 3am on a Saturday morning. It was horrendous if you ate it sober.

And I'm not a big fan of White Castle, except for their onion rings.

I made it thru many a drunk thank's to Krystal, I owe them something.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:30 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:

Drunk me + Krystal's= Drunk/sick me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:31 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

Drunk me + Krystal's= Drunk/sick me.

I do like them, when I go home I usually eat there twice. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:34 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:

Fwiw, a couple of weeks ago I passed by a Hardee's on the sw side of the city. Hadn't had a Frisco burger in years.

I used to like Hardee's...maybe the idea of a Hardee's on 47th & Damen should have set off a warning alarm.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
My Coach Vinny wrote:
All the listed burger joints are just too similar to the stuff for McD, BK, Wendy's that saturate the Chicago market today. For any of these to be successful they have to find a gem of an underserved location because they don't really offer a real product or pricing differentiation. That requires a critical local site selection acumen which is rare and likely grabbed up by the other big boys.

Steak and Shake and Culvers offer a legit product/experience differentiation, so they should be able to slide into spots already served by the big 3. They can just take the lead from CVS (parking their stores right next to Walgreens after Walgreens goes through painstaking site selection process).

Checkers grease-burgers always hit the spot. They seem to be in urban hoods. A brand new one is opening in Broadview or Maywood on Roosevelt but they're all over the south side.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:37 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

Fwiw, a couple of weeks ago I passed by a Hardee's on the sw side of the city. Hadn't had a Frisco burger in years.

I used to like Hardee's...maybe the idea of a Hardee's on 47th & Damen should have set off a warning alarm.

Hardee's breakfast biscuits are the absolute best, I don't eat there any other time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:40 pm 

DannyB wrote:
Checkers grease-burgers always hit the spot. They seem to be in urban hoods. A brand new one is opening in Broadview or Maywood on Roosevelt but they're all over the south side.

If you're above the age of 35, I have to admire your enduring intestinal fortitude. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Regular Reader wrote:
DannyB wrote:

If you're above the age of 35, I have to admire your enduring intestinal fortitude. :lol:

42. The only reason I am still alive is because the one up near my old hood on the NW side closed and became a title loan place with a double drive-through. Which reminds me of a new thread...

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:49 pm 

DannyB wrote:
The only reason I am still alive is because the one up near my old hood on the NW side closed and became a title loan place with a double drive-through. Which reminds me of a new thread...

I laugh everytime I pass one of those re-purposed little places all over the south side :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
spmack wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: @ "IMU up the city"....

:lol: :lol:

This needs to be quoted on every page. :lol: