It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Calumet Fisheries
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:48 pm 

my high end professional obligations took into the area of east 95th Street the other day

I had heard about this place before and was reminded of it by a recent Chicago's Best episode.

I thought it was just kind of average fried seafood. I certainly would not go out of my way for it. I probably am missing their signature item of smoked fish so this review may be a bit unfair. I don't like smoked fish.

Anyway, I'd go again but would not search this place out.

Fish Keg on the Chicago-Evanston border for this man.

Post subject: Re: Calumet Fisheries
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
good dolphin wrote:
my high end professional obligations took into the area of east 95th Street the other day

I had heard about this place before and was reminded of it by a recent Chicago's Best episode.

I thought it was just kind of average fried seafood. I certainly would not go out of my way for it. I probably am missing their signature item of smoked fish so this review may be a bit unfair. I don't like smoked fish.

Anyway, I'd go again but would not search this place out.

Fish Keg on the Chicago-Evanston border for this man.

It's solid. Went this summer and had smoked fish and smoked shrimp.

I think its popularity is a result of white hipsters trying to justify the annoying drive, "authentic" blue collar food plus, "look I'm not afraid! I went to the south side!"

Overall, I agree. overrated.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Quote:
We ate at Everest the night after dining here, and there was dispute over which was the finer food. That's right, Calumet Fisheries' smoked shrimp is that good. Less complex, certainly, but those two flavors are perfect each and in combination. And I certainly didn't accidentally nibble on my finger after a delicious lingering aroma from Everest.

The huge shrimp get smoked in the shack's own little smokeshack in the back (it doesn't look like much, but perhaps that's why this stuff is so good). Their breaded shrimp is great too, quite possibly the best in the city, but skip it anyway and get a 1/2 lb. of smoked shrimp ($10) per person. As implied above, the beautiful smoked shrimp smell will linger on your fingers, so watch that you don't chew on them.

It's also a great place to pick up other smoked fish like salmon and especially chubs. Ah, Calumet Fisheries' smoked chubs. Priced at just $10/lb., the chubs sell like hot cakes. Or rather, drugs--folks from the neighborhood call them "fish crack."

I'm not sure on how Chicagoans eat their chubs, but I'll give you a run down on the Russian no-utensil version:

1) snap off that fish head and toss it;
2) pry the fish open from the bottom;
3) and start pulling meat off those bones
4) dip that meat in the hot sauce and eat.

Lastly, the setting is perfect Calumet River industrial grandiosity. The ships on the river, steel mills in the distance, close up views of several great steel drawbridges, the Skyway, and a wayward little yacht marina. And you've got about a 25% chance on any given visit to see the 95th St bridge rise for a tugboat, which always draws a crowd of shrimp-devouring gawkers.

Unfortunately, there's no good place to rest your meal while doing some gawking of your own--some sort of counter or small picnic table outside would be a great improvement, but who am I to complain when the fish is this good. Eat your food carefully in the car, on the hood, or take it back to wherever you're going. Driving over to Wolf Lake to gorge yourself on smoked chubs while looking at the industrial monstrosities of Lake Co. over the marshes will be memorable!

This was a review on yelp. There are many of these type of reviews. White people...

He is right about the shrimp though. They were great.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:17 pm 

It's really not that bad of a drive, either.
Some of their stuff is better than others - we've picked up some shrimp/salmon and gone to the big park on the lake down the street. Kids play at the park and I eat all of the food

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:10 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Next time you are on the southside, gd; http://www.dicolasseafoodbeverly.com/

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:32 pm 

spanky wrote:
It's really not that bad of a drive, either.

That is all a matter of perspective. It's an easy 30 minutes from my home. I suppose I could make it a stop on my way home from another adventure in the great Hoosier state.