It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: LOUS!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Chus wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ouch. Things looking bleak for IMU.

Bigfan has IMU on the run.

Nope, I am done on that issue. Next

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Put me down in the Lou's is the best column.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
I failed to mention Tortorice's.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:05 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Edwardos is still fantastic. Just have to drive to Munster IN if you want it. CSFMB trip. We can hit up 3 Floyds first!

in terms of what's available at jewel for take home pizzas, edwardo's is currently the don, as it seems to have replaced the previous don in in connie's. the gino's east / pizzeria uno's frozen deep dish stuff just never comes out right whether you thaw it out for a day or let it sit in there frozen, it's just way too dense to get it to come out right. connie's and edwardo's always come out right.

of course all of this stuff is moot if you have a lou's frozen pizza. those things come out damn near identical to a restaurant-bought pizza (and nowadays my local lou's is lincolnwood, so i always get a proper pizza... and growing up in elk grove i had lou's every week so i'm a decent authority on this) --- i can't tell you if lou's thin crust is any good cuz i've never had one. it'd be like going to mr. greek gyros and ordering a pizza puff, you know?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I had a Lou's takeout thin crust at work a few years ago. really really unimpressive.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:12 pm 

there used to be a place called Charlotte's on NW Highway east of Barrington. Best fucking pizza I ever had. I guess Charlotte croaked and the place closed down. A little internet research suggests Sergio's in Barrington now does something similar.

anyway this pizza was the thinnest crust I ever had. kind of like a saltine.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Thin crust > Deep Dish

Lou's has good deep dish and bad thin crust.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:17 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
bigfan wrote:
we will just admit that IMU was wrong, that I dont try a number of different Pizza places. To be honest, havent had Lous in quite some time and havent ordered it myself in even a longer period of time.

This list might be a fine example of how wrong IMU was in judging me as someone who doesnt try a varierty of Pizzas....and thats was as of 2011. All the new places Toppers, Blaze, Dimos, Big G's, Si Pi, etc etc...are not even included.....I mean, can we just agree that IMU might have been wrong about his assumptions about me?

EVERY PIZZA PLACE I EVER TASTED- BY RANKING
This does not mean this is the final word on what pizza is the best(and the worst), but it is damn close!
Updated June 20, 2011

RANK PLACE COMMENTS
9.40 Lou Malnatis Simply the best! Best sauce! best cheese! Best Sausage! Deep
8.75 D'agastinos New top thin, taking over from La Gondola + Bonus points for a really good single pizza at Wrigley! Relacing Connies!
8.30 La Gondola Been there a long lon time with them. Quality started falling when they become ultra popular. Hopefully they return, but still very good.
7.90 O Fame Great thin pizza, sometimes too big of a bubble, but great thin. Delivery is terrible and Largest size isn't that big but a very good pizza.
7.50 Barnaby's Another excellent thin. Have not had one in quite sometime, but always solid.
7.40 Chili Mac YES! Chili Mac on Broadway in Chicago. Probably the most surprised I have ever been about a pizza! Have to give Kelly credit here.
7.25 Edwardos Thin, very good very fresh ingredients, all natural.
7.20 Aurelios Another good thin Chicago Pizza, many south burbs would probably be a top of the line pizza anywhere else.
7.15 Bacinos/Giordanos They might both be pissed I lumped them together, but they are very very similar. Deep dish and thin. Both good, never had a bad one. Just saying I have had better.
7.10 Mother Other Kitchen CLOSED Had a great butter crust in Wilmette.
7.10 UNOS / DUE ORIGINAL places only! Another very good pizza, deep dish, still like Lou's better, but would still do either of these places in Chicago ONLY!
7.05 Genos East Good deep dish, still in 4th place of the big 4. Not bad at all, just better deep dish.
7.02 Scoozi! Untraditonal, pizza made in lengths on a long board, but really excellent product! Yes, you can get a sausage pizza.
7.00 Pats Pizza Not sure it is possible to make a pizza thinner than this. A bit greasy, but still good.
6.85 Art of Pizza Consist ant, good, a bit greasy in the crust. Open at 11 AM daily and serves slices, which is a plus.
6.75 CW Napkins Great delivery system, which counts. Slices, Good pizza to eat while working on a project. Yes, my project pizza!
6.50 NANCYS This is the home of STUFFED Pizza. I order it once a year, great for a pig out session.
6.45 VINES Right next to the Cubby Bear. They offer some funky pizza variations, but they will make you a simple pepperoni and it is really good.
6.40 Pizza Capri A thicker thin crust. Lotsa good other stuff here as well.
6.40 Fornello-Irving Park They make a wood oven pizza that just doesn't work for me, but the BEST Lasagna I ever had! I order the Lasagna!
6.35 Carrenos Good thicker thin pizza. Similar to Pizza Capri.
6.15 Village Inn Skokie UPDATED Really good thin crust, good sauce, definite grease. Dropped it a bit, due to just had one and can say have had better ones.
6.00 Petes Pizza Great Pizza for Parties. Huge. Quick. Good delivery.
6.00 Cafe Luigi Close to NY style Pizza in Chicago. Not a NY fan, but this is not bad.
6.00 Pizza Serio Anotrher close to NY style, enjoyable cooked on a real stone.
6.00 Tomato Head Poor mans version of Barnaby's, but still decent.
6.00 Pizza Bellas Pretty Similar to Luigi.
5.90 Pizanos Rudy Malnati. Thinner than Lous, but thicker than regaulr thin. Can taste the similar styles.
5.85 Bricks Only had it once and was not my order, was after a good night, leaving some girls palce at 4 AM, went looking for a diet coke to go, grabbed some slices too! not bad at all.
5.80 Rosatis Only had slices from here. Huge slices, lotsa cheese, good sausage. Selling slices always is a bonus.
5.78 Gullivers Maybe living on historical love here as I have not had it in YEARS, but was always good.
5.75 Palermos Out of many requests from diehards I tried it. Had one from he place on 95th and a few from the one in Wrigleyville. Too much sugar in the sauce. However, I would understand how you would love this pizza if you grew up on it, but I didn't.
5.75 Purgatory Pizza Good place. Good Pizza specials. Thin Unique Cracker Crust. Similar to Barnaby's, O Fame, Tomato Head CLOSED
5.75 Bills Place Maybe it was actually better than I remember, but making me drive to Crystal lake for a pizza raises the bar a bit!
5.75 Carmens An FOBF favorite, I have had the thin, it was good (and free) but being pushed to the stuff, don't think I ever had it.
5.75 APART UPDATED: Pizza was a bit thinner this time and the place was empty. Maybe it was the weather or they didnt handle the hype well.
5.75 Exchequer Pub Downtown on Wabash. Long time place, good thin, heavy toppings.
5.65 IANS The home of the Mac n Cheese Pizza. Funky Combo after Funky Combo. Bacon, Cheese, Potato as an example. It's good, it's different. Slices mainly, late night PACKED!
5.62 Side Street Saloon Corn meal Crust, just a bit too thin! Just missing something, but if I lived closer would pick up more often.
5.60 Pizza Metro It was a good pizza. Had better, but would not be bummed if this was ordered.
5.55 Yakzess/Paddy O splaines Decent pizza, 2 places are really similar. Of course WIngs are better at Yakzees.
5.52 HOME RUN INN A Place I have enver been to! But had many Frozen ones and could only imagine the fresh one is just a better version.
5.50 Cheese to Please Something funny about this pizza, but I loved it growing up.
5.35 Maries Liqour Formerly served at Hi Tops. Good really thin.
5.30 Michaels on Broadway ANother place with Sweet sauce. Not what I like but many do.
5.25 Big Cheese Pizza Needed some more cooking, but had a shot, maybe a 2nd order!
5.15 My Pie Surprised it is still around. Provides a good deep dish.
5.10 John Pizzeria On Western. OK pizza, nothing special, Might order if closer
5.10 Barrys Spot Good thin. Delivery place only. If Barry smiled once I might like it more.
5.10 Congress Pizza Had a good date there once, so maybe I remember this place better than it is, but would go back.
5.05 Calos Pizzeria Ya know when the toppings and cheese are like an inch away from the crust. It was an OK taste, but the crust thing bothered me.
2.04 Paninos Pretty good, but never parking in a shopping center? Strange.
5.00 Chicagos Pizza Way too much salt. Good commercials. Open very LATE! Munchies Cure
4.90 Pronto Za Terrible Location, crust needs some flavor and slices too big to be sold solo if they dont stay up. OK pizza, kind of New York like.
4.80 Phillys Best Similar to the 2 below. Not great, but a slice with a sandwich works.
4.79 John Barleycorn* * Not really a pizza. Calling it a Pizza cone. Hand rolled mini roll, cone shaped with cheese in it. Sauce then on the side. Might bge a good idea to stuff the cone with some toppings? Not bad, but still just an appeteizer. thus the *
4.78 Connies While I have never ate at the Restaurant, if you have been to a Chicago sports event, that's the pizza and it is OK then.
4.77 Daves Italian Kitchen Another one from the history bin. Had it a few times in my yute! Was OK then, so might be not so great as many have said.
4.75 Peuqods I just never liked the pizza. Really bready. Too much Oregano, but some pizzaheads love it. I am just not one of them.
4.61 Whole Foods Yes, they feature fresh pizza and it's OK. Sometimes it's also just a pain in the ass to fight through the homeless people waiting for the free samples and I hate to disrupt the employees discussing when the next rad show will be.
4.60 Mista Pizza First, it was like the owner was pissed I called for a delivery? Next I ordered a large pizza, to which he tells me they only have one size, like everyone should know this. Sausage sucked! Pizza was small thin on a stone. Not terrible, but would never return.
4.60 Bo Jonos Sloppy made pizza, was not tasty at all.
4.58 LA Rosa on Golf Another one from the past! But still cooking, so muist be doing something right.
4.57 Pie Hole Funky spices on this one. Very thin, unique, not for me.
4.56 Nonnas Really undercooked. Put in the Box when cheese melted, no browning.
4.55 lincoln Park Pizza Good for the kids at LPHS , just not for me.
4.55 Villa May Pizza Plenty of hype surrounding this place. was really disappointed. Sloppy thin.
4.51 Vinis Really bready, no real flavor, kinda undercooked
4.50 Gigi's Like a Dominos rip off
4.40 Bubamarra Another place talked up! Just wasn't that good.
4.40 Ranallis UNfalvored crust, sausage not that good either.
4.40 Lauries on Broadway Breadie thin crust. Was like what they consider a good pizza in Florida.
4.40 Leonas I just don't like the sauce. Not sloppy, they do everything else well, just not loving the pizza.
4.40 Renaldis Pizza Just don't like it much. Lack of sauce. But they have other stuff
4.35 Venice Pizza Was a huge pizza, tasteless. Disappointed
4.32 Fireplace Inn Great place to hang! Just wasn't a good pizza!
4.30 Old Towne Pizza Pub Someone must have spilled the salt on my pizza. Ate less than half and left it.
4.27 Chicago Oven Grinders Just never liked it. Questionable on even calling it pizza, but the sauce is more like it was made for a pasta dish. Others love it, they stand in line on the weekends. Not for me.
4.25 Pie Hole Uses some funky spice here. Not for me.
4.05 Orso's Might be risking my life with this bad review, but I think they might have spilled the salt on this one. Had 1 piece, sent it back paid for the drinks and left.
4.00 Pizza Ria/Pizza Baci 2 Places i Wrigleyhood, drunk it's good and that's it.
3.75 Papa Romeos Not good. In the Dominos class. Amy you pizza moron!
3.65 Red Flame Gotta drop a WHO YA CRAPPIN here. "2 Part process" of cooking doug on grill and melting cheese under broiler? Cheese doesn't stick to crust that way!
3.50 Royal Chessman/Villa Rosa CLOSED Another 2 places from my youth. Sometimes, you just feel like a good bad pizza. I can't explain it, but these were the places. Never uniform, nothing measured, no doubt homemade.
2.75 Pizza Rustica Not sure how the place remains open except some people must like the taste of frozen pizza. I hated it.
2.25 Pizza Ria Like Flavored Cardboard. But at 3 Am it's just edible if I had enough JAck and Cokes.
1.50 Bertolinis- Vegas Alleged to be good italian food, but when asked how was pizza I responded with "If we were in Chicago,this would be the second worst Pizza I ever had." And they kicked us out!
1.05 Z Best Pizza CLOSED Former Location 200 N Dearborn Food court. Was like eating Cheese off cardboard and this was with a hangover when anything would have tasted good.
0.00 Shaky's -Acapulco after years of walking by this place and seeing the 5 mins or it is free sign. I had to go for it. 100 pesos, a tortilla, ketchup, American cheese melted is what they called a pizza.
If you have a place "I GOTTA TRY" email me at BIG FAN

Gotta Try List- Phils, Vito & Nicks, Sapore D Napoli, Candellight, Spacca Napoli,DOC, Domincks

Never to be ranked. Dominos, Pizza Hut,Papa Johns, Lil Ceasar, Calf Pizza Kitchen, Homemade Pizza (gotta cook it to be ranked)

Cool story bro. All pizza is the same. Cheese sauce dough toppings.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:18 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
IMU's lunch thread tells us all we need to know about his tastes. What's up for lunch? An Arby's Skinwich?

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:18 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Cool story bro. All pizza is the same. Cheese sauce dough toppings.
:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
IMU's lunch thread tells us all we need to know about his tastes. What's up for lunch? An Arby's Skinwich?

Would you please stop saying that? I am occasionally forced to eat Arby's, and all I can imagine now is the beef being shaved from an elephant hide.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
IMU wrote:
bigfan wrote:
IMU wrote:
bigfan wrote:
Imu you can just admit now how you have misjudged me regarding the variety of pizzas I have tried. Long timers here may even vouch for my pizza rating scale.

Will you admit if others suggest you wrong about me?

You misjudge the value I put in other people's opinions. Even my IDIOT FRIENDS. Your own opinions documented among various Food threads over the last decade say more than you asking others to vouch for you could.

...but your judgement was that I dont try a variety of pizzas. Will you admit that you might just be wrong about that?

No. Am I just supposed to take your word for it? Please provide receipts.
In the city, of those I've had I prefer:

Pequods
Art of Pizza
Gino's East
Nancy's
Uno

In the suburbs:

Marino's
Caruso's
Giordano's (never been to the one in the city)

And then about forty others I guess.

Ok, got it, you have terrible taste.

Never heard of Marino's or Caruso's and never had Art of Pizza so can't comment on those, but the others on your list are not even in the same league as Lous. Except maybe Pequod's. Unos, Giordanos and Gino's East are awful compared to Lous. Always have a special place in my heart for Nancy's since we used to represent her and she would bring us pizzas, but Nancy would have to be blowing me right now under the desk to get me to say her pizza is better than Lou's or even close to it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:22 pm 
1000 CLUB

IMU wrote:
bigfan wrote:
Always happy to be on the other side of the discussion with IMU and Frank.

You don't strike me as a guy that enjoys many different types of food...or a guy that is willing to try other options once he finds a favorite.

I just wanted to call attention to the above statement from IMU. Let's let that one soak in for a moment or two, shall we?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:22 pm 

Chicago Magazine this month has their best pizza places:

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magaz ... est-Pizza/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Nino's in Buffalo Grove is solid. Little bit too much cheese on their thin crust but I manage. Joe's in Wheeling is good stuff for thin crust. Crispy crust and just enough cheese.

Both places hook me up all the time. Whenever I shoot them a call and ask them for a pizza they have one ready for me in 20-25 minutes. Sometimes when I ask they even deliver it to my door. That's how you know you're a big deal.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:33 pm 
100000 CLUB

Oh man that is a sweet deal. I bet they even take your debit card number right over the phone!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:34 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
Chicago Magazine this month has their best pizza places:

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magaz ... est-Pizza/

Biggie, you ever tried Bartoli's on Addison and Wolcott? Never heard of it myself, but its listed as the best deep dish in Chicago according to the Chicago Magazine link. Checked it out on Yelp and the deep dish looks legit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

shakes wrote:

Ok, got it, you have terrible taste.

Never heard of Marino's or Caruso's and never had Art of Pizza so can't comment on those, but the others on your list are not even in the same league as Lous. Except maybe Pequod's. Unos, Giordanos and Gino's East are awful compared to Lous. Always have a special place in my heart for Nancy's since we used to represent her and she would bring us pizzas, but Nancy would have to be blowing me right now under the desk to get me to say her pizza is better than Lou's or even close to it.

The place that IMU should really be touting as an alternative to Lou's is (the recently closed) Burt's Place in Morton Grove. Burt has the pedigree--he founded a variety of pizzerias, including Gulliver's, Pequod, and the Inferno--and has been championed in the food media (Bourdain, Saveur, etc) as a pizza artisan more committed to quality than profit. He represents, in some sense, the antithesis of the Malnati Empire. He has pursued his craft in obscurity, seemingly resented popularity, and remained hostile to even the most basic marketing techniques (Burt's Place wasn't even listed in the phone book.).

The problem, though, is that Burt's never could hold a candle to Lou's. His crust was crisp but bland, his sausage nondescript, and his tomato sauce completely ordinary. And all of the places he left--including the widely admired Pequod, which is often cited as a realistic contender for Chicago deep-dish dominance--suffered after his departure.

As for places like Giordano's and Art of Pizza, all I can do is :lol:. They're good, but not serious challengers to Lou's.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:48 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Yeah, you can have Burt and his shitty attitude and burnt crust.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:51 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Although I've heard this sentiment from others, I'm still upset at myself that I never went Burt's even one time and now its gone.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

The word is "caramelized," JORR. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:52 pm 

I'm not going to beg for pizza from some dirty arogant asshole.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Hatchetman wrote:

i don't mind

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
shakes wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Although I've heard this sentiment from others, I'm still upset at myself that I never went Burt's even one time and now its gone.

Yeah, it was an experience I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Lous does not use Sauce.

1000 CLUB

Hatchetman wrote:

I got along fine with Burt and liked his wife--I went there plenty of times since my mom lives practically across the street from his place--but his restaurant was really dirty. The Morton Grove Board of Health shut it down many times over the past decade.

100000 CLUB

Bagels wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

i don't mind
Here's your pizza, peabrains.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

bigfan wrote:
Lous does not use Sauce.

This is an interesting point. The Lincolnwood outpost seems to serve a much "saucier" layer of tomatoes than the Evanston location, whose tomatoes are on the chunky side. The tomatoes also taste fresher, less "cooked" at the former as compared to the latter.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:02 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
damn, burt's closed? that's a bummer but prolly not too much of one.

i had no idea that there was a legendary pizza place in morton grove, so when i found out of course i had to try it. i ended up trying pequod's deep dish first (i had no idea they had deep dish even, let alone their history with burt, as the only times i'd have it was when my aunt was in town and would want a thin crust from there.... or if i was drinking at the bringer inn next door and somebody bought a thin crust and excess pieces went to us at the bar)

when i had a pequod's deep dish pepperoni my impression was that it was just like a lou malnati's pizza just without the awesome lou malnati's crust (the best part IMO). burt's was up next and we did the thing where we ordered a day in advance and got extra cheese on it (so it's like a more normal pizza cuz he doesnt use a lot) and we got it the next day and it was just like the pequod's pizza, and honestly not really too indistinguishable to my pudgy ass..... which means it was just like lou's without the crust.

so obviously after that i think burt's was seen as "yeah it's pretty good but probably not worth all the commitment/effort" and since barring traffic on the edens all we gotta do is pop the 2.75 miles from dempster to touhy to get lou's, yeah that tends to win out pretty much every time we effort pizza like that.

i guess it also helps that i was technically born and raised on a weekly lou's pizza for the first ~23yrs of my life too. c'est la vie.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
bigfan wrote:
Lous does not use Sauce.

I agree it is more like a runny ketchup. If ketchup had no flavor.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next