It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:32 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
shakes wrote:
wdelaney72 wrote:
Shakes....you're on a Northshore guy, correct?

Curious where you'd put Charlie Beinlich's on the burger list. I worked for years in the North Shore and some locals had insisted it was the greatest every. It was good, but didn't rock my world as promised.

Yep, my office is at 900 Skokie Blvd and before that we were at 450 Skokie Blvd for a very long time so Beinlich's has been a neighbor of ours this entire time.

I agree with your assessment. Very good burger, but in today's landscape of gourmet burgers it doesn't stand out like it did, say 30 years ago.

My office was at 633 for a couple years and at the corner of Lake-Cook before that. Beinlich's is great. Shrimp cocktail, cup of chili, cheeseburger with raw onion. Awesome.

I worked 2000-2002 at 900 Skokie Blvd...lol. Kraft and Phillip Morris had overflow space there for a while and I was lucky enough to be in one of the few "chosen" groups.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Never been to Paradise Pup, but its been on my list for a couple years now. Finally drove by in over the summer so now at least I know where it is. They close at 5 which makes it very difficult to go there for me. If it was open for dinner it would be a lot easier for me to get there after a round of golf on the weekend over the summer.

Went to Edzo's once and thought it was overrated, although maybe I had the wrong burger there. They have a thick burger and a thin burger, don't remember which one I had.

The burger I really want to try is at Bread and Wine on Irving Park really close to my place. They are always getting rave reviews for their grass fed burger. http://breadandwinechicago.com/

I surprisingly haven't been to Kuma's in a couple years (maybe even 3). Always loved the place, but I've heard it's dropped off a tad.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:21 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
I agree with shakes and wdelaney about Beinlich's. It's fine but nothing special.

I haven't been to Edzo's since moving out of state in 2013, but it had clearly entered a state of decline. Based on my final few dining experiences there, I wouldn't recommend it.

I always loved the burgers and deep fried cheese curds at Bad Apple. Can't wait to get back there in a couple months.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:27 pm 

I always have to emphasize overrated isn't necessarily bad. Beinlich's was good, but I've had better. I'll add Uncle Mike's in Kenosha to the overrated list. Cool place and an amazing draft beer selection, but the burger was nothing more than 'good'.

My favorite is still the Bristol Tap. Bristol is all the way out by Yorkville past Aurora. Dumpy little local bar with the simplest, most amazing hunk of beef I've ever had.

I'll give the #2 award to Tracks Bar & Grill in Cary.

Bulldogs in Wauconda is also very good, but they don't sell beer.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
I separate burgers into different categories.

Fast food and standard bar burgers that are thin patties and are all cooked fully through don't really belong in a best burger competion. Meatheads does make a pretty killer spicy burger with bacon and fried egg....for a chain.

To really have a good burger, a place should be able to cook the meat to a desired temperature that includes rare and medium rare. Morgan's in Libetyville has always had an awesome burger...$2.50 on Tuesdays is still a thing. Mickey Finn's also has a really good burger. Inovasi in Lake Bluff does more of a gourmet burger similar to the fine burger places in the city.

I also probably need to get out more.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I kind of miss Scorehead.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
I am glad to see Top Notch as high as it is

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:08 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
bigfan wrote:
billypootons wrote:
if Kuma's corner is actually only the 9th best burger place int he city we are a lucky city.... btw i'd pick kumas over m burger pretty much every time but what do i know

While I think Kumas is overrated, I agree on the M call.

The Select Cut burger needs some love on this list. Maybe not a fast food place, but just a solid, great burger, no frills BS like some chefs tried to add a Burger only at Lunch on fridays just for the pub. LOTSA MEAT
All burgers are the same. Bun, meat, cheese, toppings.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
I'd put Paradise Pup on the list instead of DMK. Haven't been to a few of the others, but I found DMK Lombard to be overpriced and not that great of a burger. As in, a Portillo's double cheeseburger would be preferable. Paradise Pup burger with cheddar and grilled onions on dark rye is a great burger. It's a long drive for me, so if I go there, I usually get an extra one and bring it home and put it in the refrigerator for the next day. When a burger is even excellent when cold, it's a great burger.

I've been to Edzo's. It was ok, but I was in a bad mood. I'd like to try it again this spring. I've been to the Assembly and enjoyed it, but it's been at least a decade.

RHR is on my Chicago cheap food bucket list, but I need to lose some weight first.

When I was a kid, we were a Hackney's on Harms family. I have been at both Harms and Lake St. Hackney's once each in the last year with others, and have been so sad afterward.

Yeah, Hackney's went down in quality, big time. Not sure why. There are talks they are closing their Lake Zurich location, which we would frequent.

Only problem with Paradise Pup is the wait. Their BBQ chicken sandwich is still one of the best I've had. And their cheddar fries are phenomenal. They used to get their cheddar direct from Merkts, but I think they switched.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:42 pm 

Chus wrote:
Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
The Assembly

On Barrington Rd? That place makes a mean burger.

Yes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:28 pm 

I'll add Hackney's to my overrated list.

Mickey Finn's burger is really, really salty. I like that place, but if I want a burger in Libertyville, Firkin is right down the street and that burger kicks ass.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:43 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
shakes wrote:
Edit: It appears the article is ranking "burger joints" whatever that means, but that explains why Au Cheval isn't on the list as well as some other places I guess.

Small Cheval is listed...which is basically the same thing.
The Au Cheval burger is not nearly as good as people suggest it is. An over easy egg and 1/2" thick bacon strips does not make your burger the most amazing thing ever.

The Lair of Minotaur burger at Kuma's is still the best imo.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:47 pm 

Isn't it kinda easy to make your own best burger in chicago? like grind your own chuck, cook it over some hardwood charcoal, maybe score a brioche bun from a bakery. vidalia onion, thick slice bacon, whatever your little heart desires.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

wdelaney72 wrote:

Mickey Finn's burger is really, really salty. I like that place, but if I want a burger in Libertyville, Firkin is right down the street and that burger kicks ass.

FIRKIN FIRKIN FIRKIN!!!

First date with the wife was there...I love that place. Logan Square chic in Libertyville.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
doug - evergreen park wrote:
The Au Cheval burger is not nearly as good as people suggest it is.

I agree. I feel about it the way Midget and Delaney feel about the Beinlich burger. It's fine.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Hatchetman wrote:
Isn't it kinda easy to make your own best burger in chicago? like grind your own chuck, cook it over some hardwood charcoal, maybe score a brioche bun from a bakery. vidalia onion, thick slice bacon, whatever your little heart desires.

we have people here whose grand culinary achievement is making pasta salad and now you're asking them to grind their own chuck ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:00 pm 

does one toss pasta salad?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:38 pm 

Any burger that is taller than it is wide and is impossible to eat without a knife and fork should automatically be relegated to the pretentious category.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:25 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
does one toss pasta salad?

I think any salad can be tossed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:36 pm 

wdelaney72 wrote:

FIRKIN FIRKIN FIRKIN!!!

First date with the wife was there...I love that place. Logan Square chic in Libertyville.

Lived in Libertyville for nigh on 20 years...been in Firkin countless times...never had the burger. Wahoo tacos are the shit though.

Finn's burgers were really excellent when it was just a hole in the wall joint...prior to the brewery expansion.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

I've never had a burger at Finn's. Always get the cuban.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
good dolphin wrote:
I think any salad can be tossed

Seems like an appropriate reply to the strange late night text.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:08 pm 

Had a venison burger at the Gage tonight. Such a great tasting burger.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Ironically, Superdawg has better griddle-style hamburgers than hot dogs. My very own Mother subsisted on them while pregnant with me.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:15 am 

DannyB wrote:
Ironically, Superdawg has better griddle-style hamburgers than hot dogs. My very own Mother subsisted on them while pregnant with me.

I agree wholeheartedly. Their Hungarian Whoopskidog is great as well. However, the wait for them to be prepared is intolerable. It's like you are the first person to ever order the item every time you order one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:21 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
DannyB wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly. Their Hungarian Whoopskidog is great as well. However, the wait for them to be prepared is intolerable. It's like you are the first person to ever order the item every time you order one.

Ha, absolutely right with both of these. I don't see how anyone likes their hot dogs, especially at the crazy price it always has cost.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
I've never had a burger at Finn's. Always get the cuban.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:00 pm 

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:21 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
First class GIF work!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:41 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
past 3-4 months have had the opportunity to try a few of the "top burgers" in Chicago from the usual food lists.

Little Bad Wolf
Loyalist
Bad Apple
Owen & Engine
Red Hot Ranch

I've gained an appreciation for the "do simple better" application with burgers. Bad Apple was good but they're somewhat in the Kuma's mold with creative toppings as their selling point. Though, Bad Apple's meat and beer selection is better than Kuma's.

Little Bad Wolf's burger is a similar style to Au Cheval's. I haven't tried Au Cheval but the wife has and said she preferred LBW's and even moreso factoring the 1-2 hour waits at Au Cheval.

Considering everything (price, taste, availability) my ultimate favorite is still probably Red Hot Ranch. Overall burger is probably LBW.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next