It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:43 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Why waste time rating burgers? You can't screw up a burger!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:46 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Caller Bob wrote:
You can't screw up a burger!
Clearly you have never made one then.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:47 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Caller Bob wrote:

MANY can tell the difference.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:56 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

It's the toppings! that's it!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:00 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Kirkwood wrote:
past 3-4 months have had the opportunity to try a few of the "top burgers" in Chicago from the usual food lists.

Little Bad Wolf
Loyalist
Bad Apple
Owen & Engine
Red Hot Ranch

I've gained an appreciation for the "do simple better" application with burgers. Bad Apple was good but they're somewhat in the Kuma's mold with creative toppings as their selling point. Though, Bad Apple's meat and beer selection is better than Kuma's.

Little Bad Wolf's burger is a similar style to Au Cheval's. I haven't tried Au Cheval but the wife has and said she preferred LBW's and even moreso factoring the 1-2 hour waits at Au Cheval.

Considering everything (price, taste, availability) my ultimate favorite is still probably Red Hot Ranch. Overall burger is probably LBW.

Agreed. I went with a guy I work with to Red Hot Ranch. I had asked him to go specifically for the burger, and he laughed at me (he is a former chef who went to culinary school and everything - food snob). His laughter was misguided. SOLID burger with thin griddle paddies. Burgers don't need to be fancy. I will hit it up again soon when I'm in the city.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:02 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
past 3-4 months have had the opportunity to try a few of the "top burgers" in Chicago from the usual food lists.

Little Bad Wolf
Loyalist
Bad Apple
Owen & Engine
Red Hot Ranch

I've gained an appreciation for the "do simple better" application with burgers. Bad Apple was good but they're somewhat in the Kuma's mold with creative toppings as their selling point. Though, Bad Apple's meat and beer selection is better than Kuma's.

Little Bad Wolf's burger is a similar style to Au Cheval's. I haven't tried Au Cheval but the wife has and said she preferred LBW's and even moreso factoring the 1-2 hour waits at Au Cheval.

Considering everything (price, taste, availability) my ultimate favorite is still probably Red Hot Ranch. Overall burger is probably LBW.

Au Cheval is fantastic, but yes that wait is ridiculous. You pretty much have to go there midday during the week if you ever want a quick table.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:23 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
GoldenJet wrote:
I separate burgers into different categories.

Fast food and standard bar burgers that are thin patties and are all cooked fully through don't really belong in a best burger competion. Meatheads does make a pretty killer spicy burger with bacon and fried egg....for a chain.

To really have a good burger, a place should be able to cook the meat to a desired temperature that includes rare and medium rare. Morgan's in Libetyville has always had an awesome burger...$2.50 on Tuesdays is still a thing. Mickey Finn's also has a really good burger. Inovasi in Lake Bluff does more of a gourmet burger similar to the fine burger places in the city.

I also probably need to get out more.

awful take Jet. You definitely need to try the RHR Double with cheese from Red Hot Ranch. Only comes one temp and smashed on the griddle with crispy edges, but it tastes better than any thick gourmet medium rare/medium burger I've ever had.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:28 am 

I've never had Au Cheval, but don't understand how it could be rated so high. They don't even grind their meat, they buy patties from Sysco! How the fuck can that produce a top rated burger???

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:33 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
shakes wrote:
awful take Jet. You definitely need to try the RHR Double with cheese from Red Hot Ranch. Only comes one temp and smashed on the griddle with crispy edges, but it tastes better than any thick gourmet medium rare/medium burger I've ever had.

give loyalist or little bad wolf a try. you may change your tune.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:40 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
You know what place was really good? Back at the downtown shopping mall (that isn't the Thompson Center) there was some joint called something like Coast Burger that absolutely knocked it out of the park as far as "bang for your buck" relative to a quality burger goes. This is exacerbated by the fact they essentially did it in a food court setting, which makes this defunct piece of burger heaven all the more LEGENDARY IM(H/C)O (in my humble/correct opinion)

Otherwise, I gotta go with the OPster snd say that it's hard to screw up a solid/++ burger and thus rankings oughta be in the bang for the buck category or at least to warn you about overrated places (say, example, five guys where IM(H/C)O they have quality food but it's probably not worth the premium price you're going to have to pay for it) if you can find a place with super-quality burger + fries for under $6-7/ish then I think you're on to something with your rankings

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:42 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
I'm actually bringing the gf to Au Cheval tonight. Hoping that 11pm or so will only have an hour wait!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:46 am 

pizza_Place: from scratch
IMU wrote:
I'm actually bringing the gf to Au Cheval tonight. Hoping that 11pm or so will only have an hour wait!

Try the marrow. It's disgusting.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:48 am 

I've had bone marrow before. It was fine, but nothing I would order outside of a fancy dinner. It also probably increases your chance of heart disease by 15%.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Shakes did you ever end up at Paradise Pup?

Also, Au Cheval wasn't that impressive.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:13 am 

Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:

naw, still haven't made it over to PP. One of these days (when I'm not engaged in my usual 6 months of dieting)

I did go to Red Hot Ranch for my last meal before the diet started. Good as ever.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:18 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
shakes wrote:

give loyalist or little bad wolf a try. you may change your tune.

I'll give them a try. Also hvae to try Bad Apple.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
shakes has never been to Paradise Pup?

Hit it up on a cheat day. It's phenomenal.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:41 pm 

shakes wrote:
Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:

naw, still haven't made it over to PP. One of these days (when I'm not engaged in my usual 6 months of dieting)

I did go to Red Hot Ranch for my last meal before the diet started. Good as ever.

RHR is still the goods.

Small Cheval and Paradise Pup both left me thinking meh. Ok, but not nearly deserving of the hype.

I'm really curious about the burger at Superdawg after this thread. And I still need to make it to BGBRBelly one of these evenings.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:42 pm 

Superdawg sucks. That's all.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
A good place I found recently is called The Region Burger in Roscoe Village. Simple menu, based off of the style popular in NWI (I believe Schoop's is the archetype for this style.) Essentially griddle, a little bigger closer to 1/2 lb.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Grilled Pineapple Burger at Fat Duck in Forest Park for me.

http://www.fatduckgrill.com/menu/burgers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
shakes wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
I separate burgers into different categories.

Fast food and standard bar burgers that are thin patties and are all cooked fully through don't really belong in a best burger competion. Meatheads does make a pretty killer spicy burger with bacon and fried egg....for a chain.

To really have a good burger, a place should be able to cook the meat to a desired temperature that includes rare and medium rare. Morgan's in Libetyville has always had an awesome burger...$2.50 on Tuesdays is still a thing. Mickey Finn's also has a really good burger. Inovasi in Lake Bluff does more of a gourmet burger similar to the fine burger places in the city.

I also probably need to get out more.

Sorry, smashed on the griddle with crispy edges is no way to get a burger. You may as well go to steak and shake...blorf.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
If you don't want to trek to Chicago, Burger Antics in Brookfield is easily a top 10 burger. Huge booze selection for the lushes and even has craft sodas for me.

https://chicagosbesttv.com/2014/05/05/c ... er-antics/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:43 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
If you don't want to trek to Chicago, Burger Antics in Brookfield is easily a top 10 burger. Huge booze selection for the lushes and even has craft sodas for me.

https://chicagosbesttv.com/2014/05/05/c ... er-antics/

Yep, I'm a bigfan.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:52 pm 

Telegram Sam wrote:
A good place I found recently is called The Region Burger in Roscoe Village. Simple menu, based off of the style popular in NWI (I believe Schoop's is the archetype for this style.) Essentially griddle, a little bigger closer to 1/2 lb.

I've heard mixed things, but haven't tried it myself since they are close to RHR and make a similar styled burger to RHR, but not nearly as good (so I've heard).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:57 pm 

shakes wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:

I've heard mixed things, but haven't tried it myself since they are close to RHR and make a similar styled burger to RHR, but not nearly as good (so I've heard).

It is definitely similar, but the base model is bigger. It strikes me as good pre-barhopping or hangover food, which fits that neigborhood. Shakes are subpar, pass on the those.

Last edited by Telegram Sam on Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Caller Bob wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

It's the toppings! that's it!

https://www.foodwine.com/food/kgk/2011/kgk0911.html

Quote:
In the Ford Motor Company's executive dining room, Henry Ford II rarely ate anything but hamburgers. According to Lee Iacocca, Ford complained that his own personal chef at home couldn't make a decent burger. In fact, no one made burgers as perfect as the ones at the executive dining room. Curious, Iacocca asked the establishment's chef to show him what he did to make Ford so happy with his burgers. The chef went to the fridge, grabbed an inch-thick slab of New York strip steak, ran it through a grinder, patted up a patty and tossed it on the grill. "Amazing what you can cook up when you start with a five-dollar hunk of meat," said the chef with a sly smile. (Though it would be more like a $25 hunk of meat today.)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:50 pm 

IMU, what was your assessment of Au Cheval?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:09 pm 

Telegram Sam wrote:
IMU, what was your assessment of Au Cheval?

I liked it. It was really good. But it is hard to define 'best burger.' I'd get bacon on the side next time, or not at all. The egg on the burger and on the fries were both perfectly done. I'd also do without the mornay sauce on the fries i'll be back again soon...i also want to get after one of their fried bologna sandwiches and other apps.

We got there around 10:30 and sat at about 11:20 I think. They quoted me an hour wait so it was fine. Went over to Bar Siena for cocktails.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Telegram Sam wrote:
Shakes are subpar

Except when it comes to golf.

-Hank Kingsley

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next