It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Orleans Restaurants
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:22 pm 

may be going next week. Give me your favorite casual places. I don't think I'll be going to Commander's Palace. This poor boy wants some po' boys.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
good dolphin wrote:
may be going next week. Give me your favorite casual places. I don't think I'll be going to Commander's Palace. This poor boy wants some po' boys.

3 sisters was okay.
The hot dog carts in the French quarter are a deal when you are half smashed. A must go is the Central Gracery for a Muffalato, get a quarter slice go sit at Jackson park and enjoy the day

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
Gumbo shop in the french quarter.
Skip cafe du monde. There are many better places for biegnets .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:41 pm 

Popeye's

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I really like Felix's Oyster Bar in the French Quarter. Just as good as if not better than Acme and with far less of a wait.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
One of my favorite experiences was I needed a break during my day so I went to the governors house. Sat down at a table got a pate platter and a cheese platter a glass of wine and just took in the place it was awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:04 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Tujague's is an awesome old school spot. Almost as good as Galatoire's or Antoine's but much more casual. My favorite gumbo in the Quarter. No fucking okra.

Also, Stanley is a great place for breakfast.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:04 pm 

New Orleans really isn't my kind of food, but Cochon Butcher was really good for a casual lunch.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
http://www.angelobrocatoicecream.com

Angelo Sr. was a cousin of my greatgrandfather.

Great cannoli and a perfect place for dessert and gelato.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:16 pm 

Johnny's - a couple blocks into the Quarter up from Canal St. (iirc it's only open during the regular workday, really more of a regulars/local workers' place the thirty or so times I went)

Mother's - not far from the Dome, (edit: much closer to the river-4-5 blocks east) (Get the Ferdi - kinda like a Cuban ropa vieja, but with ham as well)
Parkway Tavern - Mid City / Pretty much everything

There is a place that sells "Peacemakers" - fried oysters/bacon & cheddar cheese. It's a newer place, but I've always wanted to try it. I'm sure if you google the sandwich, it'll turn up.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:48 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
ZephMarshack wrote:
I really like Felix's Oyster Bar in the French Quarter. Just as good as if not better than Acme and with far less of a wait.

This is the correct answer. Although as I recall it is the same ownership. Felix takes acme's overflow but is less touristy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
New Orleans really isn't my kind of food.

That surprises me -- not a fan of the spicy tones or seafood??

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
The Dungeon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:12 am 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
Cajun Seafood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:34 am 

newper wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
New Orleans really isn't my kind of food.

That surprises me -- not a fan of the spicy tones or seafood??
I don't eat any seafood of any kind. I like spicy food but when you go to restaurants and there is exactly one option on the whole menu that isn't seafood it doesn't make for a lot of enjoyable meals.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:44 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Here ya go...Great place, can walk in with plain casual clothes, sit at the bar, order the best drink you will ever have made by classic old time tenders and then have some great food. Great place, but note its very close to everything in the quarter, yet need to walk down the covered entrance to hotel parking garage (well lit), which keeps the wanderers not even near the place.

Chorizo dirty rice, New orleans BBQ shrimp...

If you want to go Boudin real deal....COCHON..walkable from French Quarter, but not in Quarter

Then after being highly civilized for an hour or so, Erin Rose, get your Hipster on

http://www.bombayclubneworleans.com/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:59 am 

bigfan wrote:
Here ya go...Great place, can walk in with plain casual clothes, sit at the bar, order the best drink you will ever have made by classic old time tenders and then have some great food. Great place, but note its very close to everything in the quarter, yet need to walk down the covered entrance to hotel parking garage (well lit), which keeps the wanderers not even near the place.

Chorizo dirty rice, New orleans BBQ shrimp...

]

Which place are you talking about?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Char-broiled oysters at Drago's (located in the Hilton Riverside). Basted in garlic butter...fantastic. A perfect lunch stop.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
If you want to get away from the quarter then try a place called Domilises. I don't know where it is but it's good--I have a friend who lives nearby. There's a great breakfast place called Toast nearby and a Whole Foods.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
This place out by the airport seems to meet your criteria. Casual and had the best crawfish I've ever had (fantastic oysters as well). :alien:

http://www.fishermanscoveseafood.com/pages/Harbor-Seafood-Restaurant.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:02 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Char-broiled oysters at Drago's (located in the Hilton Riverside). Basted in garlic butter...fantastic. A perfect lunch stop.

Seconded.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:53 am 

DannyB wrote:
If you want to get away from the quarter then try a place called Domilises. I don't know where it is but it's good--I have a friend who lives nearby. There's a great breakfast place called Toast nearby and a Whole Foods.

Isn't that supposed to be the best po' boy in the city?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:44 am 

I did my research and found a few places off the beaten path. I also used suggestions from here:

First night I went to Red Fish. Overpriced with disinterested wait staff. Fuck off.

Second morning we went to Café du Monde. You know what you are getting. I like beignets but later in the morning a saw a line for a seat that was half a block long. It's a donut.

We toured the garden district and Tulane/Loyola that day. Domolise's was within a reasonable distance. I'm very happy we did not pass this out of the way po boy shop up. Great. Best shrimp po boy I have ever had. My son loved the beef with gravy. Everyone enjoyed it so much that we went a second day later in the week while visiting the WWII museum.

We decided that sit down dinners were not going to be economical so we were going to eat big, late lunches at places and skip dinners. It worked well.

Next day we went to Café Beignet. It was good as well. They probably use the du Monde mix.

We went on a swamp tour and picked up some gator jerky to tide us over until a late lunch. Gator meat is nothing special.

We then went to Willie May's Scotch House. I don't like fried chicken but my people told me it did meet the high standard proclaimed of it as the world's best fried chicken. I had chicken tenders and they were pretty fantastic. I also ordered up corn muffins for the table. I ate three of them myself. They were made just the way I like them with a hint of sweetness and a firm exterior. Had red beans and rice as a side and it was good and spicy.

Next day was Domolise's again. I had the roast beef and swiss po boy this time on my son's recommendation. Incredibly good. This place is worth the effort to find if you are going to NO.

I was walking the quarter in the evening and noticed I had not had my gumbo quotient for the trip. I popped in to Gumbo Shop for a cup to go. It was really good. I know it will be considered a sacrilege but I believe Heaven on Seven to be the best gumbo I have tasted anywhere. Sorry New Orleans.

Last day was Johnny's po boys. Good but paled in comparison to Domolise's

I wish I could have gone to some nice restaurants but they are expensive and the kids are starting to get to the age of eating full adult meals. Maybe next time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:50 am 

In conclusion, I still find NO to be one of the best food cities in America. These places off the beaten path provide such a high standard of food, and the high end places never disappoint (from what I remember when being able to travel and eat on my parent's dime).

I thank you all for your suggestions.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:02 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
You ain't kidding. We spent a small fortune on dinners. It was mostly worth it though. Big lunch would not have flown with my kids. They always want dinner.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Tough go wth the kids, even though I would think Cafe Du Monde works when you pile powdered sugar on hot fried dough, though I agree there is a point at which the wait is not worth it.

Almost feel sorry for people I see going into Jimmy Buffets margaritaville and other places that just slop out the food and call it cajun.

As you noticed, the close they get down there to a chain is Buffets place and a Krystal, which you have to give them credit for.

Too many places down there have packaged gator sausage they throw on the grill, cut it up, toothpick it and there ya go, $11 please.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:35 am 

Spaulding wrote:
You ain't kidding. We spent a small fortune on dinners. It was mostly worth it though. Big lunch would not have flown with my kids. They always want dinner.

We ate around 3-4 pm each day. There was a lot of complaining on the front end from about 1-3 pm but were able to quiet them with "one more hour". It didn't become an issue at dinnertime because we did a couple of early evening tours or swam at the pool. We brought apples, oranges and cookies on the trip if they were hungry before bed.

I haven't done this before but that first bill was a shocker. I suppose we could get the kids bad fast food but I didn't want to go that route either.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:42 am 

bigfan wrote:
Tough go wth the kids, even though I would think Cafe Du Monde works when you pile powdered sugar on hot fried dough, though I agree there is a point at which the wait is not worth it.

Almost feel sorry for people I see going into Jimmy Buffets margaritaville and other places that just slop out the food and call it cajun.

As you noticed, the close they get down there to a chain is Buffets place and a Krystal, which you have to give them credit for.

Too many places down there have packaged gator sausage they throw on the grill, cut it up, toothpick it and there ya go, $11 please.

I commented on the lack of chains, as well. Even high rent districts like Times Square have Chili's but NO has done a great job of keeping them out of the quarter.

However, there was a line at Bubba Gumps. I just shook my head as I walked by.

Also, the shops I have listed above all closed at a time earlier than they should. Why would you close a sandwich shop at 6 when the overhead to keep it open until 8 is almost zero?

I don't know if Burbon street has gotten seedier since the last time I visited or if I was of the age that I liked seedy but that street is a collection of the dregs of society. Even the tourists look like something that was rejected from the lowest end Vegas hotels. Then you go a couple of blocks away to a street like Royal and it is like a different world.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:49 am 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
good dolphin wrote:
I don't know if Burbon street has gotten seedier since the last time I visited or if I was of the age that I liked seedy but that street is a collection of the dregs of society. Even the tourists look like something that was rejected from the lowest end Vegas hotels. Then you go a couple of blocks away to a street like Royal and it is like a different world.

That was my takeaway as well. However, the last time I was there, A biker gang convention was in town and they pretty much owned Bourbon street so that might have influenced my perception.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Heading down for Fat Tuesday. This is going to be great.

-Hank Kingsley