It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
open ended question. every year I follow les and les. kind of sad in a way but then again so are Sox, Bulls, Bears, DePaul, WSCR...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:41 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Hatchetman wrote:
open ended question. every year I follow les and les. kind of sad in a way but then again so are Sox, Bulls, Bears, DePaul, WSCR...

Who is the other Les?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Stroud. He's gonna find Sasquatch one of these days.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
I don't understand the question. Where am I going as a sports fan? Like outside of sports venues?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:58 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Life is grand as a Cubs fan.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
I got hooked by the Premier League yesterday morning :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:07 pm 

pizza_Place: J.B. Alberto's
I do my best to make it to the toilet, but -not gonna lie- I've had to use the sink on more than one occasion.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Okay, North. I think I'm going North as a sports fan.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
leashyourkids wrote:
Okay, North. I think I'm going North as a sports fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb4P-MZMzJs

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:49 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Before last year's Cubs Magic, I was pretty much given up on sports, especially pro sports.

Maybe the over saturation from the media has to do with it. Or just seeing these so called role models getting arrested or losing all their money or just doing something crazy stupid that a normal person would not do especially if a normal person had millions of $$$.

Only team I will follow this year is the Cubs. All the other teams and athletes I could care less. Maybe I'll watch a NBA Finals Game 7 or follow the Hawks during the playoffs, but other than that, I'm sick and tired of the U.S. sports industry (team + players + media + fans).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:23 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
I'm pretty much done with baseball these days -- I am not opposed to getting back into it, but there's just too many games and they take way too long. Should mention I am a Sox fan, not a Cubs fan. :)

Football I am more interested in cap management and player movement... I honestly think you can turn a franchise around in 2 years, so that keeps some interest alive for the Bears.

NBA - too star focused for me. If you don't have two stars (or at least one and a half) you are nowhere. And you get stuck in the Bernstein "Basketball Hell"

Blackhawks -- my absolute favorite sport to watch live... couldn't be more engaging. But since 2/3rds of the league makes it to the playoffs, I could care less about watching the regular season.

NCAABB -- I enjoy an occasional game now and again, but I don't really have a team I root for. I get more into it during the playoffs like everyone else, I suppose.

NCAAFB -- I probably have more teams I don't like than teams I do like. I do like Alabama though, which is weird, because I usually am not a fan of the best team in the league.

Premier League - I enjoy watching it although I know very little about it.

Lacrosse -- my stepson plays and I really enjoy it... I knew absolutely nothing about it but after a couple of years of watching, I have some idea of what to do. Constant action and the game doesn't take all day to play.

Curling -- One more year until Winter Olympics and I get my curling back! Love it -- it is about as much a sport as bowling, but still I find it very interesting and it is easy to understand.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:22 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
...to the bathroom after i finish this beer? 8) 8) 8)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:47 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
and hey, since i'm bored let's do one more take in the newper style here:

newper wrote:
I'm pretty much done with baseball these days -- I am not opposed to getting back into it, but there's just too many games and they take way too long. Should mention I am a Sox fan, not a Cubs fan. :)

Football / NBA / Blackhawks / NCAABB / NCAAFB / Premier League / Lacrosse / Curling

baseball - fantasy baseball is the sport of the gods; for half of the damn year its like a baseball stock market there for you to engage, consume, and ultimately figure out ways to "surf" or even "wield" it in such a way that you can utilize your superior knowledge of it to achieve [relative] success & general providence over others, which is essentially the core of "competition" as a whole. i have the most "investment" in baseball because of its fantasy counterpart, and therefore it's a no-brainer to say that i'm a baseball guy because "that's my shit right there!" -- hell, with my team [expos] banished from this plane of existence, the playoffs are actually a letdown for me compared to the last few weeks of the regular season; c'est la me, no?

Football - officially, i have a bears blog @ http://ilovesmesomebears.blogspot.com, so i'd say that "i loves me some bears" sums most of it up. anything left, uhh, unsummarized[?] is going to be fantasy football stuff, which has done it's job in terms of endearing me to the redzone channel and giving me that "investment" in a colts vs chargers game at 4:30pm on a sunday afternoon. i enjoy fantasy football and on that note i'm really glad that, by and large, draftkings and fanduel fucked off from slowly but surely taking over football broadcasts this season. "the game is to be told, not sold!" - some broke dumbass who you wouldn't want to pack a new pack of cigarettes around. --- [b]basically, it's overall a quality product that i enjoy because of that "investment" i get from fantasy football.

NBA - basketball is easily the #1 game that i'm good at IRL, so i'll always feel like basketball players are a "kindred spirit" and thus it's easier to watch random NBA basketball without the "investment" of fantasy sports than it is any other sport [please don't pay attention to me glaring at hockey while i say that =]

Blackhawks - wake me up when the playoffs start.

NCAABB - i generally only enjoy march madness because it means that all the stupid college basketball is about to go away. yeah hey rah rah rah blah blah blah have fun slapping the floor and don't let the door hit your ass on the way out, mmmk?

NCAAFB - while nothing that these last 2 acronyms here intrinsically feel like they should be acronyms for some offshoot/sister organization of the NAACP, i will say that it's never a bad day when notre dame loses! naturally, i always pulled for the "convicts" in "Catholics vs Convicts" because, you know, i have a soul and whatnot =P

Premier League - literally and figuratively a league worth waking up for. go read the EuroSeason thread [if you dare] and you'll get a pretty good idea of what i'm about re: epl. as an aside i'll just say that like, i'm never going to fuck with MLS in much the same way that if i wanna hear rap i'm not gonna go grab a mixtape from a polish rapper-- even if his MC name "Yung Maciej" technically subscribes to all of the naming customs of real rappers and all that (see: Real Salt Lake and " *.* [United] FC")-- i'm gonna grab a mixtape from american rappers because america is the country where rap is fundamentally ingrained in the culture from the cradle to the grave. ergo, i feel the same way about my soccer; accept no substituts!

Lacrosse - maybe if i was gay and in college and i had a taste for athletically-husky trust fund kids? otherwise :lol:

Curling - my first proper fantasy baseball nemesis/rival was from michigan and did curling collegiality... but still, in terms of where it is in the hiearchy of sports it's kinda like playing street fighter 2 and picking dhalsim because you want a goofy super-technical challenge for the sake of having a goofy super-technical challenge. that said, there's no shame in my game of picking ryu + akuma all the time because seriously, who doesn't wanna go around spamming fireballs all day long [whether metaphorically IRL or literally in SF2] ???

---FINIS---

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:28 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
rapidly decreasing interest.

i was the equivalent of an uppity ice queen who needed a good lay. cubs win world series. boom. i'm good.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:35 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Still watching the golf majors. Probably the best sport to watch on television.

Will follow the White Sox in April until they get behind eight games and then turn it off for the rest of the year.

Bears are no long must-see television. The only thing that brought me back to the Bears at the end of the year was Matt Barkley.

Don't follow the Hawks until the semi-finals. Then I get interested. Same for the Cubs.

I like World Cup soccer, especially when Germany destroys Brazil at home. If only England had a team!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:10 am 

It is pretty difficult to be overly focused on professional/major college sports while being an involved parent. I don't get to see many games from start to finish.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:37 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
good dolphin wrote:
It is pretty difficult to be overly focused on professional/major college sports while being an involved parent. I don't get to see many games from start to finish.

This. I have three kids and I just don't have the time I once had. The radio is my friend when it comes to any sports these days as it seems as if I am always coming or going to some event or another.I have more time in summer so Baseball probably gets the most attention. It is also the best sport to listen to on the radio IMO.

I used to watch a lot of football. Saturdays and Sundays were dedicated to it. I think now I watch the playoff games in NCAA, a few Northwestern games out of some strange obligation or something and the Bears. But my attention is other places during these games usually. Still do try to watch Hockey but that's because the kids actually like Hockey so I at least get some sports bonding time there. Last Bulls game I watched was the second D. Rose knee injury but I've been hit or miss on them for years. I've come to the conclusion I was a Dr. J fan and than a Jordan fan and after moving and not being able to watch anymore, or wanting to after the bulls sucked I just drifted away.

I love world class Soccer but rarely watch it anymore. My boys will watch that with me so I have that going for me and I can do a lot of my paper work while it is on so that helps too. Golf.. I love Golf this time of year. Give me a sunny, cold day and let me find a spring training baseball game or a golf tourny and I never nap better.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:43 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
what good dolphin said. its becoming increasingly difficult especially in light of having 3 girls and no boys.

as one who finally got to experience a team i'm a fan of win a championship (cubs) for the first time as an adult. It was a great day or so of adulation but then life continues to move forward without much care of who won the world series.

after the world series win, i watched my beloved wolverines lose in ridiculous fashion to the hawkeyes which assured me there probably was no way they'd get to the CFP. where i once shrugged as it was expected/inevitable they wouldn't, this time it was different. maybe because i was fresh off of at least having a championship as an adult but i think it was more "if Michigan did with the national title, its just not that big of a deal". i'd be happy for a few days and then back to the grind.

as a sabres/bills/bulls fan. i'm a "big fan" but not as big as my love for cubs and michigan.

the Cubs win changed my thoughts on sports. I still enjoy them because you see all sorts of incredible things and the stories are amazing.

but its definitely not as important as it once was.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:49 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Dignified Rube wrote:
Still watching the golf majors.

Yes, it's hard for me to watch a non-major (except maybe the Ryder Cup). And even for majors, I find it difficult to watch the first couple of rounds.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:49 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Packers - I'm resigned to the fact that my team will always be just good enough to get me excited for a championship, and just flawed enough that they will never win again under the current construction. Still most excited for this sport every year.

Bulls - Love watching Butler, and hate everything else about the team, like I would imagine many here feel, except for the irrational Butler haters. Will probably not get too excited again without Hoiberg and GarPax fired.

White Sox - I'll always be a Sox fan. 2005 was awesome. But fuck this team and their entire management. Gonna need Hahn and Kenny gone before I can invest again.

Blackhawks - they didn't win the cup last year, right? That's bullshit. They need to get it together and win another cup so I can pretend I care about them for a couple months.

MMA - always dope as hell to watch, never watch enough of it. Might get into it more.

All the other sports - worthless

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:55 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Been watching more and more golf, and actually enjoying it. I probably watch that more than anything else over the last ~2 years.

The NFL sucks overall. The Bears are just background noise for me until they are good again. The lack of quality play and the silly rules make it really hard to watch some games. The playoffs were pretty good.

I love baseball, but its really hard for me to get into the game as a whole when the Sox are bad and/or I have no fantasy team. They also need to speed up the postseason games and NOT play anything after October 30th, barring a rain/snow delay.

I love watching a good boxing match.

Outside of the Bulls, I really don't care enough to watch or follow anything else. Hockey & MMA I will actively try to avoid.
Edit; Sometimes I will watch the PBA on Sunday mornings.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:59 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
The NFL sucks overall. The Bears are just background noise for me until they are good again. The lack of quality play and the silly rules make it really hard to watch some games. The playoffs were pretty good.

This years playoffs were terrible. Outside of the Super Bowl, there wasn't a single game worth watching.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:59 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
rapidly decreasing interest.

i was the equivalent of an uppity ice queen who needed a good lay. cubs win world series. boom. i'm good.

We tried to warn you. It's never as good again.

I still love college football and basketball and the NFL. Any other sport just seems like the off-season until September now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:00 am 

Douchebag wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

This years playoffs were terrible. Outside of the Super Bowl, there wasn't a single game worth watching.

The championship games were solid.

Injuries derailed a few teams.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:05 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Been watching more and more golf, and actually enjoying it. I probably watch that more than anything else over the last ~2 years.

Jesus. For your sake I hope the Bears and Sox get good again

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:07 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

?

The championship games were awful. GB/Dallas and the super bowl were the only good games. Pitt/KC was close but boring as hell. It was a down year for the nfl. Last year was awesome and I expect they will rebound next year as well.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:12 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

?

The championship games were awful. GB/Dallas and the super bowl were the only good games. Pitt/KC was close but boring as hell. It was a down year for the nfl. Last year was awesome and I expect they will rebound next year as well.

Yeah. You are right.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:21 am 
100000 CLUB

FavreFan wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Im glad your enjoy guys in thier underwear rolling around with eachother for 20 minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:27 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Im glad your enjoy guys in thier underwear rolling around with eachother for 20 minutes.

Huh?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:30 am 
100000 CLUB

"MMA is dope to watch"