It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: CPD Officer Killed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:36 pm
Posts: 10652
Police Commander Frustrated By Low Bail, Prosecutor Hurdles: “This has been going on... but it’s getting worse.”
Cmdr. Paul Bauer speaks at the annual meeting of River North Residents Association on Nov 14 | LoopNorth.com

Editors Note: Commander Bauer was shot and killed while pursuing a man in the Loop on February 13, 2018.
------------------------------------------------------------

By Steven Dahlman • LoopNorth.com

Arrests are up from last year but what happens after an arrest is what frustrates the commander of downtown Chicago’s 18th police district.

Commander Paul Bauer says there is a “high bar to prosecution” in Cook County, requiring Chicago police to get approval from the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office before a suspect can be charged.


“Sometimes they want to come out and...talk to the victim,” said Bauer at the annual meeting of River North Residents Association. “If you think about it, we’re sometimes victimizing this person twice. You just got your phone snatched from you. You got knocked down. Now you’re going to be in the station. You got to stay here for another couple hours until the State’s Attorney gets out here.”

Stretching from the Chicago River north to Fullerton Avenue, the 18th police district had 13,185 reported crimes last year, according to City of Chicago data, and there was an arrest in 1,897 of those cases or about 14 percent. So far this year, 12,777 crimes have been reported and an arrest made in 1,932 cases or about 15 percent.

According to Bauer, 75 percent of the crime in the 18th district is theft-related, whether it’s theft from a building or theft from a person, including a suspect who, while riding a bicycle, recently swiped mobile phones from people in River North.

“We caught that guy,” recalled Bauer. “and we figured he did about 30 [robberies] over the course of a couple months. We were only able to charge him with one felony theft [because] victim identification was a little hazy.”

Another man, named Willie, previously convicted for numerous burglaries, was caught but allowed back on the street three days later, electronically monitored, such as an ankle monitor, while waiting for court dates.

“Even when we catch somebody,” says Bauer, “there’s still a long way to go to get them off the street.”

In August, Chief Judge Timothy Evans replaced all the judges who presided over bond hearings in Cook County and directed new judges to set bail in amounts more affordable to defendants. This is at odds with Chicago police, who would prefer to see higher bail amounts for career criminals.

“That guy, Willie, he’s a case in point. He needs a high bond. We got him for a number of burglaries. He’s on parole for burglary. He needs to sit. We got to get him off the street. It’s just like if you have kids, if there’s no consequences to your action, those actions are going to repeat.”

And when they do go to jail, they need to stay there longer.

“The Sheriff of Cook County, for whatever reason, is very proud of the fact he has reduced the population of the county jail. Maybe I’m jaded, I don’t think that’s anything to be proud of.”

Bauer would like to see more career criminals in jail. “You can say, we don’t know if that’s going to reduce recidivism. This is how I look at it, I want them off the street. We’re not talking about the guy that stole a loaf of bread from the store to feed his family. We’re talking about career robbers, burglars, drug dealers. These are all crimes against the community. They need to be off the street.”

It is frustration police deal with every day as they try to make communities safe, says Bauer.

“This has been going on for quite some time but it’s getting worse.”

_________________
Frank Coztansa wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Not over yet.
Yes it is.


long time guy wrote:
(OKC) will be the #2 seed in the West due to these 2 moves. Watch out world.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CPD Officer Killed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 7682
Location: France
pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Of course. The supposedly racist justice system is a huge enabler of Chicago's crime problem. Every single cop on the force will tell you that.

_________________
good dolphin wrote:
When you can't move the Cubs to Rosemont, move Rosemont to the Cubs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CPD Officer Killed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 7682
Location: France
pizza_Place: Baranabyis
According to the Trip he was murdered by a four time felon. Let me guess RR, another good boy who'd never hurt nobody?

_________________
good dolphin wrote:
When you can't move the Cubs to Rosemont, move Rosemont to the Cubs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CPD Officer Killed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:19 am
Posts: 18518
pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
People blame the NRA and republicans for not allowing tougher gun laws. The 90% Democrat city/county doesn't even enforce the damn laws we do have! What the hell are more gun laws going to do?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CPD Officer Killed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 7682
Location: France
pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Caller Bob wrote:
In regards to Laquan McDonald, you could say the same thing. Why did his death have to be politicized? Not trying to defend the idiot cop in that case, that was ridiculous and I have no why his friends in the force covered for him.

Laquan McDonald was loaded on PCP, breaking into cars and stumbling down Pulaski waving a knife at people. Bauer was trying to protect the city by arresting a criminal that the courts had failed FOUR times at putting away before.

One's a hero, the other is a common drug addict/criminal. You need to have a fucking mental problem to think you can relate the two.

_________________
good dolphin wrote:
When you can't move the Cubs to Rosemont, move Rosemont to the Cubs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CPD Officer Killed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:10 am
Posts: 11754
America wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
In regards to Laquan McDonald, you could say the same thing. Why did his death have to be politicized? Not trying to defend the idiot cop in that case, that was ridiculous and I have no why his friends in the force covered for him.

Laquan McDonald was loaded on PCP, breaking into cars and stumbling down Pulaski waving a knife at people. Bauer was trying to protect the city by arresting a criminal that the courts had failed FOUR times at putting away before.

One's a hero, the other is a common drug addict/criminal. You need to have a fucking mental problem to think you can relate the two.


Laquan McDonald should have been arrested and not killed.


I don't think that anyone is excusing the behavior of the guy yesterday either.

For the record I'm one of the people that don't make cops out to be the bad guy either.

There are good ones and there are bad ones. I think the good ones outweigh the bad ones.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CPD Officer Killed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:06 pm
Posts: 30515
pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Pretty sure he worked at Larrabee and Division.

_________________
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." ~LBJ



Biden/Kasich 2020


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CPD Officer Killed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 7682
Location: France
pizza_Place: Baranabyis
long time guy wrote:
America wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
In regards to Laquan McDonald, you could say the same thing. Why did his death have to be politicized? Not trying to defend the idiot cop in that case, that was ridiculous and I have no why his friends in the force covered for him.

Laquan McDonald was loaded on PCP, breaking into cars and stumbling down Pulaski waving a knife at people. Bauer was trying to protect the city by arresting a criminal that the courts had failed FOUR times at putting away before.

One's a hero, the other is a common drug addict/criminal. You need to have a fucking mental problem to think you can relate the two.


Laquan McDonald should have been arrested and not killed.


I don't think that anyone is excusing the behavior of the guy yesterday either.

For the record I'm one of the people that don't make cops out to be the bad guy either.

There are good ones and there are bad ones. I think the good ones outweigh the bad ones.

I'll be shocked if there are mass protests for Officer Bauer that shut down parts of the Loop. Even though the circumstances that led to Bauer's death are infinitely more enraging than McDonald's and 10,000 Laquan McDonald's aren't worth one Paul Bauer.

_________________
good dolphin wrote:
When you can't move the Cubs to Rosemont, move Rosemont to the Cubs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CPD Officer Killed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:57 pm
Posts: 55495
Location: To the left of my post
America wrote:
long time guy wrote:
America wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
In regards to Laquan McDonald, you could say the same thing. Why did his death have to be politicized? Not trying to defend the idiot cop in that case, that was ridiculous and I have no why his friends in the force covered for him.

Laquan McDonald was loaded on PCP, breaking into cars and stumbling down Pulaski waving a knife at people. Bauer was trying to protect the city by arresting a criminal that the courts had failed FOUR times at putting away before.

One's a hero, the other is a common drug addict/criminal. You need to have a fucking mental problem to think you can relate the two.


Laquan McDonald should have been arrested and not killed.


I don't think that anyone is excusing the behavior of the guy yesterday either.

For the record I'm one of the people that don't make cops out to be the bad guy either.

There are good ones and there are bad ones. I think the good ones outweigh the bad ones.

I'll be shocked if there are mass protests for Officer Bauer that shut down parts of the Loop. Even though the circumstances that led to Bauer's death are infinitely more enraging than McDonald's and 10,000 Laquan McDonald's aren't worth one Paul Bauer.

The person who did it will be in jail for the rest of their lives. Not a lot to protest about that outcome.

_________________
You do not talk to me like that! I work too hard to deal with this stuff! I work too hard! I'm an important member of the CSFMB! I drive a Dodge Stratus!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CPD Officer Killed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 7682
Location: France
pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The person who did it will be in jail for the rest of their lives. Not a lot to protest about that outcome.

Yup, after his FIFTH FELONY (a fucking cop murder) the justice system is finally gonna get this guy off the streets permanently. Apparently the the first four weren't so bad.

The shooter should be in jail and Bauer should be alive. This is on the slanted courts that refuse to adequately punish the people terrorizing the city.

_________________
good dolphin wrote:
When you can't move the Cubs to Rosemont, move Rosemont to the Cubs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CPD Officer Killed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 4:29 pm
Posts: 22551
Location: pittsburgh
pizza_Place: giordanos
The commander's family is probably wondering today why the career felon was not locked up for good already. Just a guess that they feel some sense of anger under the grief.

_________________
Elections Have Consequences. - Guess Who?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CPD Officer Killed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:43 pm
Posts: 15205
pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
America wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The person who did it will be in jail for the rest of their lives. Not a lot to protest about that outcome.

Yup, after his FIFTH FELONY (a fucking cop murder) the justice system is finally gonna get this guy off the streets permanently. Apparently the the first four weren't so bad.

The shooter should be in jail and Bauer should be alive. This is on the slanted courts that refuse to adequately punish the people terrorizing the city.

illinois has no money or space to permanently jail people.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CPD Officer Killed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:57 pm
Posts: 55495
Location: To the left of my post
America wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The person who did it will be in jail for the rest of their lives. Not a lot to protest about that outcome.

Yup, after his FIFTH FELONY (a fucking cop murder) the justice system is finally gonna get this guy off the streets permanently. Apparently the the first four weren't so bad.

The shooter should be in jail and Bauer should be alive. This is on the slanted courts that refuse to adequately punish the people terrorizing the city.

So what is there to protest? 4 felonies = life sentence?

_________________
You do not talk to me like that! I work too hard to deal with this stuff! I work too hard! I'm an important member of the CSFMB! I drive a Dodge Stratus!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CPD Officer Killed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 7682
Location: France
pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
America wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The person who did it will be in jail for the rest of their lives. Not a lot to protest about that outcome.

Yup, after his FIFTH FELONY (a fucking cop murder) the justice system is finally gonna get this guy off the streets permanently. Apparently the the first four weren't so bad.

The shooter should be in jail and Bauer should be alive. This is on the slanted courts that refuse to adequately punish the people terrorizing the city.

So what is there to protest? 4 felonies = life sentence?

Yea I'd say committing four major crimes including an armed robbery probably means you shouldn't be out on the streets in normal society anymore. He only got TWO YEARS for his fourth felony. At what point is it obvious to judges that this guy isn't fit for the outside world?

_________________
good dolphin wrote:
When you can't move the Cubs to Rosemont, move Rosemont to the Cubs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CPD Officer Killed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:43 pm
Posts: 15205
pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
America wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
America wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The person who did it will be in jail for the rest of their lives. Not a lot to protest about that outcome.

Yup, after his FIFTH FELONY (a fucking cop murder) the justice system is finally gonna get this guy off the streets permanently. Apparently the the first four weren't so bad.

The shooter should be in jail and Bauer should be alive. This is on the slanted courts that refuse to adequately punish the people terrorizing the city.

So what is there to protest? 4 felonies = life sentence?

Yea I'd say committing four major crimes including an armed robbery probably means you shouldn't be out on the streets in normal society anymore. He only got TWO YEARS for his fourth felony. At what point is it obvious to judges that this guy isn't fit for the outside world?

when he steals from people through uber and runs away to france.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CPD Officer Killed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 7682
Location: France
pizza_Place: Baranabyis
what

_________________
good dolphin wrote:
When you can't move the Cubs to Rosemont, move Rosemont to the Cubs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CPD Officer Killed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 7682
Location: France
pizza_Place: Baranabyis
what

_________________
good dolphin wrote:
When you can't move the Cubs to Rosemont, move Rosemont to the Cubs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CPD Officer Killed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:57 pm
Posts: 55495
Location: To the left of my post
America wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
America wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The person who did it will be in jail for the rest of their lives. Not a lot to protest about that outcome.

Yup, after his FIFTH FELONY (a fucking cop murder) the justice system is finally gonna get this guy off the streets permanently. Apparently the the first four weren't so bad.

The shooter should be in jail and Bauer should be alive. This is on the slanted courts that refuse to adequately punish the people terrorizing the city.

So what is there to protest? 4 felonies = life sentence?

Yea I'd say committing four major crimes including an armed robbery probably means you shouldn't be out on the streets in normal society anymore. He only got TWO YEARS for his fourth felony. At what point is it obvious to judges that this guy isn't fit for the outside world?

We will have to check with JLN on if that is cruel and unusual punishment.

He got 16 years for armed robbery. The other two were possession charges for drugs and a gun that got him like 5 years combined. He got probation for resisting arrest.

When should he have gotten a life sentence?

_________________
You do not talk to me like that! I work too hard to deal with this stuff! I work too hard! I'm an important member of the CSFMB! I drive a Dodge Stratus!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CPD Officer Killed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 7682
Location: France
pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Any point after the 3rd one. You really think this guy was going to get his life straight and live legitimately in his late 30's after two other trips to prison didn't seem to work?

If somebody like this killed a family member of yours how would you feel?

_________________
good dolphin wrote:
When you can't move the Cubs to Rosemont, move Rosemont to the Cubs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CPD Officer Killed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:03 pm
Posts: 33925
America wrote:
what

Image

_________________
I AM FASCINATED BY TALL MIDGET.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CPD Officer Killed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:33 pm
Posts: 4856
pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
America wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The person who did it will be in jail for the rest of their lives. Not a lot to protest about that outcome.

Yup, after his FIFTH FELONY (a fucking cop murder) the justice system is finally gonna get this guy off the streets permanently. Apparently the the first four weren't so bad.

The shooter should be in jail and Bauer should be alive. This is on the slanted courts that refuse to adequately punish the people terrorizing the city.

So what is there to protest? 4 felonies = life sentence?


Come on BRick, America doesn't want balcks in jail.

_________________
jimmypasta wrote:
I'd make that tiny eyeballed bitch scream: "quick,someone draw me a clit,so I can cum.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CPD Officer Killed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:57 pm
Posts: 55495
Location: To the left of my post
America wrote:
Any point after the 3rd one. You really think this guy was going to get his life straight and live legitimately in his late 30's after two other trips to prison didn't seem to work?

If somebody like this killed a family member of yours how would you feel?

I believe his third one was resisting arrest. His fourth was drug possession. I don't see how you give a life sentence for either.

I'd feel the same way as if he was killed by a preacher. There are always things that could have stopped any shooting. It's unreasonable to expect the state to lock up every repeat offender for life.

_________________
You do not talk to me like that! I work too hard to deal with this stuff! I work too hard! I'm an important member of the CSFMB! I drive a Dodge Stratus!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CPD Officer Killed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 4:29 pm
Posts: 22551
Location: pittsburgh
pizza_Place: giordanos
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
America wrote:
Any point after the 3rd one. You really think this guy was going to get his life straight and live legitimately in his late 30's after two other trips to prison didn't seem to work?

If somebody like this killed a family member of yours how would you feel?

I believe his third one was resisting arrest. His fourth was drug possession. I don't see how you give a life sentence for either.

I'd feel the same way as if he was killed by a preacher. There are always things that could have stopped any shooting. It's unreasonable to expect the state to lock up every repeat offender for life.



Where is your line then?

_________________
Elections Have Consequences. - Guess Who?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CPD Officer Killed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 7682
Location: France
pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
America wrote:
Any point after the 3rd one. You really think this guy was going to get his life straight and live legitimately in his late 30's after two other trips to prison didn't seem to work?

If somebody like this killed a family member of yours how would you feel?

I'd feel the same way as if he was killed by a preacher.

Bull-fucking-shit. And you know it.

After three felonies, the third one (not a victimless crime) that he got community service for!, it was time to put him away. No need for him to be out on the streets anymore. Was not going to contribute lawfully to society and at that point was simply a danger to society. "But its only drug possession"--no, its not. Its everything about this guys life that was leading to moment when he killed someone who spent a career protecting the city and left behind a wife and 13 year old daughter.

I get that you're another one of these liberal faggots who are secretly happy about the dead cop, but dont blow smoke up our ass trying to convince us the shooter isn't such a bad guy. That's seriously fucking retarded.

_________________
good dolphin wrote:
When you can't move the Cubs to Rosemont, move Rosemont to the Cubs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CPD Officer Killed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:18 pm
Posts: 14450
pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Kirkwood wrote:
America wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The person who did it will be in jail for the rest of their lives. Not a lot to protest about that outcome.

Yup, after his FIFTH FELONY (a fucking cop murder) the justice system is finally gonna get this guy off the streets permanently. Apparently the the first four weren't so bad.

The shooter should be in jail and Bauer should be alive. This is on the slanted courts that refuse to adequately punish the people terrorizing the city.

illinois has no money or space to permanently jail people.


Unless they are drug offenders

_________________
When I am stuck and need to figure something out I always remember the Immortal words of Socrates when he said:"I just drank what?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CPD Officer Killed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:18 pm
Posts: 14450
pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
here is a quick overview of the gun law

Illinois has strict gun laws. If you are facing weapons violation charges in Illinois, it is critical that you partner with an experienced Illinois weapons violations attorney. Call our Chicago crime attorneys today at (312) 466-9466.

The most serious type of firearms violation is a felon in possession of a firearm. This usually results in a charge of Unlawful Use of Weapon by a Felon. See 720 ILCS 5/24-1.1.

The penalty for this offense depends on the seriousness of the underlying conviction. For example, a person who has a felony conviction for a Class 4 Possession of a Controlled Substance offense has committed a Class 3 felony, with a sentencing range of 2 to 10 years. But a person who has a conviction in his background of a forcible felony will face a Class 2 felony with a sentencing range of 3 to 14 years. To determine your situation you should consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney such as Steven R. Hunter.

An individual who has two prior felony convictions for either a forcible felony, a controlled substance offense which is a Class 3 felony or greater, or one of a list of violent crimes in 720 ILCS 5/24-1.7(a)(2) will be accused of being an Armed Habitual Criminal. This is a Class X felony that carries a sentencing range of 6-30 years with no possibility of probation

Look at the last one. He should not have been on the street. I bet if we look deeper it is not so much the judges fault but the State Atty fault for letting him plead down to a lesser offense. Ask any officer and they will tell you the biggest problem is the prosecutors office and the Sheriffs office.

_________________
When I am stuck and need to figure something out I always remember the Immortal words of Socrates when he said:"I just drank what?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CPD Officer Killed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:57 pm
Posts: 55495
Location: To the left of my post
pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
America wrote:
Any point after the 3rd one. You really think this guy was going to get his life straight and live legitimately in his late 30's after two other trips to prison didn't seem to work?

If somebody like this killed a family member of yours how would you feel?

I believe his third one was resisting arrest. His fourth was drug possession. I don't see how you give a life sentence for either.

I'd feel the same way as if he was killed by a preacher. There are always things that could have stopped any shooting. It's unreasonable to expect the state to lock up every repeat offender for life.



Where is your line then?
I wouldn't say that there is a line but I know that it would not be fair, even to a multiple time felon to give them a life sentence for resisting arrest or drug possession. Longer sentencing based on prior history is well deserved but if we go down the road of "this person may do something much worse than the crime we are sentencing them for and therefore we need to sentence them much harsher than they deserve based on that" then all of a sudden we are giving out a lot of life sentences because of potential future crime.

_________________
You do not talk to me like that! I work too hard to deal with this stuff! I work too hard! I'm an important member of the CSFMB! I drive a Dodge Stratus!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CPD Officer Killed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 7682
Location: France
pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I wouldn't say that there is a line but I know that it would not be fair, even to a multiple time felon to give them a life sentence for resisting arrest or drug possession. Longer sentencing based on prior history is well deserved but if we go down the road of "this person may do something much worse than the crime we are sentencing them for and therefore we need to sentence them much harsher than they deserve based on that" then all of a sudden we are giving out a lot of life sentences because of potential future crime.

Give me one reason why a person who has already been convicted of armed robbery should get the absolute minimum sentence for possessing a defaced firearm and body armor.

_________________
good dolphin wrote:
When you can't move the Cubs to Rosemont, move Rosemont to the Cubs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CPD Officer Killed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 4:29 pm
Posts: 22551
Location: pittsburgh
pizza_Place: giordanos
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
America wrote:
Any point after the 3rd one. You really think this guy was going to get his life straight and live legitimately in his late 30's after two other trips to prison didn't seem to work?

If somebody like this killed a family member of yours how would you feel?

I believe his third one was resisting arrest. His fourth was drug possession. I don't see how you give a life sentence for either.

I'd feel the same way as if he was killed by a preacher. There are always things that could have stopped any shooting. It's unreasonable to expect the state to lock up every repeat offender for life.



Where is your line then?
I wouldn't say that there is a line but I know that it would not be fair, even to a multiple time felon to give them a life sentence for resisting arrest or drug possession. Longer sentencing based on prior history is well deserved but if we go down the road of "this person may do something much worse than the crime we are sentencing them for and therefore we need to sentence them much harsher than they deserve based on that" then all of a sudden we are giving out a lot of life sentences because of potential future crime.


Perhaps. I am not definitely in some three strikes and you get life camp. Prior crimes definitely need to be considered. And if a person like this is resisting arrest or has possession of drugs along with a gun that is very serious. My initial thought is this particular person probably should have received 5-10 years for the last crimes and the cop is still alive.

_________________
Elections Have Consequences. - Guess Who?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: CPD Officer Killed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:57 pm
Posts: 55495
Location: To the left of my post
America wrote:
After three felonies, the third one (not a victimless crime) that he got community service for!, it was time to put him away. No need for him to be out on the streets anymore. Was not going to contribute lawfully to society and at that point was simply a danger to society. "But its only drug possession"--no, its not. Its everything about this guys life that was leading to moment when he killed someone who spent a career protecting the city and left behind a wife and 13 year old daughter.
That just isn't how it works though. We don't sentence people based on what they could do in the future. If we did, we would have to build a lot more prisons and we already have a really high incarceration rate in this country.

If you want to be taken seriously then stop it with the liberal stuff.

_________________
You do not talk to me like that! I work too hard to deal with this stuff! I work too hard! I'm an important member of the CSFMB! I drive a Dodge Stratus!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group