It is currently Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 51  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:54 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Gawkers not going anywhere. The journalism itself will go on, the bad actors like Denton and that AJ prick are the ones who were most hurt by the lawsuit. Peter Thiel is one of the worst people on the planet, but I think the "this is very troubling" sentiment is overblown.

The Las Vegas paper story isn't a good analogy. That's 10x worse and probably shouldn't even be legal.

Here is the analogy. You have to vet your material through the super rich and connected.

But Gawker still isn't doing that. They are still running pieces mocking Thiel. That's why the analogy doesn't quite work and the sentiment with Gawker is overblown.

To rock my soul

Last edited by FavreFan on Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:56 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Phil McCracken wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
he didn't sue them over nothing. You're forgetting that. They left themselves in a dumb position.

I am not forgetting that. I don't think Gawker is some bastion of great journalistic intent, but be careful what you wish for siding with a billionaire that wants to silence speech he doesn't like.

I think the more fucked up thing is that there are many people who aren't billionaires or don't have the backing of billionaires who had legitimate reasons to sue Gawker but lacked the resources to bump heads with them. I guess Gawker should have stuck to fucking with poor people.

Yep. It was not the girl's tape that brought them down. It took someone with resources. The rest of us are fair game.
What you seem to be ignoring here is that the ripple effect is that every company needs to be more careful about doing this with either the rich or the non-rich.

The ones who were also wronged by gawker are happy today. I don't think they are worried that a rich guy was behind it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:59 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Phil McCracken wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
he didn't sue them over nothing. You're forgetting that. They left themselves in a dumb position.

I am not forgetting that. I don't think Gawker is some bastion of great journalistic intent, but be careful what you wish for siding with a billionaire that wants to silence speech he doesn't like.

I think the more fucked up thing is that there are many people who aren't billionaires or don't have the backing of billionaires who had legitimate reasons to sue Gawker but lacked the resources to bump heads with them. I guess Gawker should have stuck to fucking with poor people.

Yep. It was not the girl's tape that brought them down. It took someone with resources. The rest of us are fair game.
What you seem to be ignoring here is that the ripple effect is that every company needs to be more careful about doing this with either the rich or the non-rich.

The ones who were also wronged by gawker are happy today. I don't think they are worried that a rich guy was behind it.

Exactly. Thiel will be more than happy to bankroll your lawsuit too Phil if Gawker posts a video of you fucking someone you shouldn't be.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:00 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
FavreFan wrote:
Exactly. Thiel will be more than happy to bankroll your lawsuit too Phil if Gawker posts a video of you fucking someone you shouldn't be.

Oh thank god for the benevolence of an idiot billionaire.

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Phil McCracken wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

As long as the suit is valid, and this clearly was, then siding with a billionaire isn't bad.

It was not Thiel's suit. He backed Hogan. Here is why it is troubling. What if the Kochs are mad at say Mother Jones or someone else? They could pull the same move as Thiel and back any type of lawsuit against the company. There is a clear playbook now on how the ultra-rich can go after their media critics.

And given the state of most media companies now it would not take must more than a threat to back off.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

Last edited by WaitingforRuffcorn on Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:10 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Phil McCracken wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

Who defines "careful with what they are doing"? Clearly, it's going to be billionaires.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:11 pm 

It was not Thiel's suit. He backed Hogan. Here is why it is troubling. What if the Kochs are mad at say Mother Jones or someone else? They could pull the same move and Thiel and back any type of lawsuit against the company. There is a clear playbook now on how the ultra-rich can go after their media critics.
If the suit is valid who cares?

Anyone, rich or non-rich helping finance valid lawsuits is not a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:17 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
It was not Thiel's suit. He backed Hogan. Here is why it is troubling. What if the Kochs are mad at say Mother Jones or someone else? They could pull the same move and Thiel and back any type of lawsuit against the company. There is a clear playbook now on how the ultra-rich can go after their media critics.

If the suit is valid depends entirely on the jury at the time. And as I said it would not even take valid suits at this point because most media companies are not in the position to fight.

An entire media company was shutdown by a couple of bad actors at one of several different divisions because it made the wrong person mad. Yay. Free press.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:27 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

If the suit is valid depends entirely on the jury at the time. And as I said it would not even take valid suits at this point because most media companies are not in the position to fight.

An entire media company was shutdown by a couple of bad actors at one of several different divisions because it made the wrong person mad. Yay. Free press.
This was a valid suit. Agree or disagree?

If agree, end of discussion. If disagree, explain why.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:47 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

This was a valid suit. Agree or disagree?

If agree, end of discussion. If disagree, explain why.

It's not the end of discussion because you deem it to be so based on the "validity" of the suit. Even if the lawsuit was "valid" I don't believe that the entire company should have been destroyed as a result.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:54 pm 

Sounds like you think it is valid.

Unless you are saying it is wrong for someone to contribute to a fund to help with valid lawsuits, and I doubt you are, then the conversation begins and ends with that. It doesn't matter if the person is poor or rich.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:59 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/16/opinion/peter-thiel-the-online-privacy-debate-wont-end-with-gawker.html?smid=tw-share

Thiel sums it all up perfectly here. Gawker kept on gambling and lost when someone who was finally bigger and stronger than them came around.

"Why Peter Thiel Suing Gawker Is Actually Good," by Peter Thiel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:00 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/16/opinion/peter-thiel-the-online-privacy-debate-wont-end-with-gawker.html?smid=tw-share

Thiel sums it all up perfectly here. Gawker kept on gambling and lost when someone who was finally bigger and stronger than them came around.

"Why Peter Thiel Suing Gawker Is Actually Good," by Peter Thiel

:lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:10 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Phil McCracken wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

That is where my head was.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:18 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

That is not true at all. Well before a jury takes it a set of reviews and motions are done before a judge to determine standing and merit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:46 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

That is not true at all. Well before a jury takes it a set of reviews and motions are done before a judge to determine standing and merit.

Valid as in what the suit alleges is true depends on the jury.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Martes gigante! Univision pays $140 mil for all Gawker media properties, $50 mil over Ziff-Davis' rumored initial bid

http://www.recode.net/2016/8/16/1250400 ... 35-million

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
Hussra wrote:
Martes gigante! Univision pays $140 mil for all Gawker media properties, $50 mil over Ziff-Davis' rumored initial bid

http://www.recode.net/2016/8/16/1250400 ... 35-million

The return of Don Francisco.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:33 pm 

Sounds like Univision doesn't want Gawker.com. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:05 pm 

that doesn't make any sense. even if Univision doesn't wanna go forward with gawker.com and gawker branding--cuz of lawsuit pr or whatever--they still take the domain and control it. auto-redirect it to whatever global landing page they move to for the former gawker properties.

last thing you do is throw the gawker.com domain back into the BR trust and let someone else come along, scoop it up for peanuts and then hijack all that traffic to their own content.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:18 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:20 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:37 pm 

Hussra wrote:

:lol: That's the kind of business savvy you can expect at Fox News. One of the only women at the station Ailes found to ugly to harass!

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:57 am 

http://gawker.com/gawker-com-to-end-ope ... socialflow

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:01 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
http://gawker.com/gawker-com-to-end-operations-next-week-1785455712?utm_campaign=socialflow_gawker_facebook&utm_source=gawker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow
:alien:

Maybe Deadspin can be great again.

This really is the best of all outcomes. Gawker and Denton get destroyed. The rest of them can live on.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Whether you loved Gawker or hated it, we can all agree on one thing: billionaires deciding what media outlets are allowed to say, is Very Good

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
If Jezebel and Gizmodo meet similar fates I wont complain either. Deadspin is really the only site that deserves to live on.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:16 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
America wrote:
If Jezebel and Gizmodo meet similar fates I wont complain either. Deadspin is really the only site that deserves to live on.

All the blogs except Gawker itself will continue.

The real reason Univision killed gawker.com is probably that it's redundant with that Fusion site of theirs that no one reads.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Dave In Champaign wrote:
Whether you loved Gawker or hated it, we can all agree on one thing: billionaires deciding what media outlets are allowed to say, is Very Good

Really, Dave, do you think that's what happened here? Is it better when Denton is the rich guy running over a poor college student?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:30 pm 

Dave In Champaign wrote:

Chus wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 51  Next