It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
“Since we passed tax cuts, roughly 3 million workers have already gotten tax cut bonuses – many of them thousands of dollars per worker.”

Trump is citing a list maintained by Americans for Tax Reform, which says 285 companies have offered bonuses, pay increases or increased 401 (k) contributions because of the tax plan. The group says at least 3 million Americans have received tax bonuses, many about $1,000 or $2,000; the list only lists one company (IAT Insurance Group of North Carolina) as offering $3,000.

With about 126 million full-time workers in the United States, less than 2.5 percent have received these one-time bonus so far. Many of the companies offering bonuses are in the financial services industry.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:32 pm 

storkinastorm wrote:
Trump must love this. He just gets to babble with a bunch of obligatory standing ovations.

He looks like he's coming in his pants for the first time since Barron was in his mother's stomach

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:32 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
IN GOD WE TRUST! Even though he never goes to church.
Law enforcement deserve our support! While he destroys confidence in the FBI.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

"I don’t care about you; I just want your vote.”
Trump '24

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:33 pm 

If Trump had given this speech last week, his claim might have been accurate. The number of people who filed unemployment claims hit 216,000 for the week that ended Jan. 13, the lowest level since January 1973. But there are more recent data now for the week that ended Jan. 20. New jobless claims rose to 233,000, the lowest since December. So it’s a six-week low, not a 45-year low.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:33 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
“Since we passed tax cuts, roughly 3 million workers have already gotten tax cut bonuses – many of them thousands of dollars per worker.”

Trump is citing a list maintained by Americans for Tax Reform, which says 285 companies have offered bonuses, pay increases or increased 401 (k) contributions because of the tax plan. The group says at least 3 million Americans have received tax bonuses, many about $1,000 or $2,000; the list only lists one company (IAT Insurance Group of North Carolina) as offering $3,000.

With about 126 million full-time workers in the United States, less than 2.5 percent have received these one-time bonus so far. Many of the companies offering bonuses are in the financial services industry.

I got $150 for a Christmas bonus.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
IkeSouth wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
My 401K is doing very well. Booming economy

Mine isn't doing shit. My company switched last year. We got hosed.

Move.

Your funds into another one then.

Sorry to hear that.

Company matches me 5% tho

Is the match better than potential growth is a question you have to ask I guess. Maybe a financial advisor could help. I have a match too but if the growth rate tanked I would move funds.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:34 pm 

pizza_Place: My own
IkeSouth wrote:
storkinastorm wrote:
Trump must love this. He just gets to babble with a bunch of obligatory standing ovations.

He looks like he's coming in his pants for the first time since Barron was in his mother's stomach

It's the role he was born to play. He's stepping back from the podium like a pitcher throwing a no-hitter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:35 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
If Trump had given this speech last week, his claim might have been accurate. The number of people who filed unemployment claims hit 216,000 for the week that ended Jan. 13, the lowest level since January 1973. But there are more recent data now for the week that ended Jan. 20. New jobless claims rose to 233,000, the lowest since December. So it’s a six-week low, not a 45-year low.

It's an hour long speech. He's been writing this since last October.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:35 pm 

What kind of self-aggrandizing mope applauds themselves like a stroke-addled seal multiple times during a speech anyway?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:36 pm 

“The individual mandate is now gone,” he said, an implicit recognition that Republicans were unable to repeal Obamacare earlier this year but knocked out one of its legs, the requirement people have to obtain insurance or pay a fee, in a tax bill they passed at the end of the year.

Go on and brag, say Democrats. They are pretty sure Republicans are going to pay in November for what happens to the health-care market. In addition to ending the individual mandate, Trump stopped federal payments that help insurance companies cover lower-income customers who pay less under Obamacare. (A bipartisan bill in Congress to reinstate those payments has stalled.)

Health-care experts warn that undoing Obamacare without a replacement could make premiums and out-of-pocket costs more expensive, especially for people with preexisting conditions.

And House and Senate Democrats are betting that blaming rising health care costs on Republicans, now that they control government, will be a winning argument for them in November, even in red states Trump won.

A Pew Research poll in January found health care ranks in the top four issues for Americans. Sixty-eight percent of Americans say the costs rank as their top priority for 2018, just below the economy, education and terrorism.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:37 pm 

Ffs why do you keep standing up. It looks so weird to applause after every sentence.

Beautiful clean coal!!! Here we go boys... Now it's getting good

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Beautiful clean coal. :lol: :roll:

Don Tiny wrote:
What kind of self-aggrandizing mope applauds themselves like a stroke-addled seal multiple times during a speech anyway?

Every democrat during the Kenyan years

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Don Tiny wrote:

I do that.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:38 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Beautiful clean coal. :lol: :roll:

MANY here just don't love America enough

ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

How many democrats gave a State of the Union speech, dope?

Don Tiny wrote:

That seems kinda petty to point out. Either way it is a good thing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:39 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

How many democrats gave a State of the Union speech, dope?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

I read this as "the Keyana years". :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:40 pm 

Trump has clearly waged a battle against regulations but many of his claims cannot be verified.

Trump appears to be counting ”regulatory actions” so many of the items being delayed or withdrawn were not regulations yet. According to a Bloomberg News analysis, almost a third of the regulatory reversals actually began under earlier presidents. “Others strain the definition of lessening the burden of regulation or were relatively inconsequential, the kind of actions government implements routinely,” Bloomberg reported.

In fact, it is unclear if Trump has cut more regulations in his first year than any other president. When the Fact Checker examined this question, experts said that the amount of withdrawn regulations is not necessarily the best metric, because these are rules that never went into effect. Moreover, often it takes another rule to repeal a previous rule. Research by the Mercatus Center at George Mason University shows that regulatory restrictions actually grew during Trump’s first year, but at a much slower pace than other presidents in their first year.

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
We haven’t had plants built in the U.S.? Wow, those plants in Indiana, South Carolina, Alabama etc must not have told anyone.

Don Tiny wrote:

Every fucking year. It's so weird. I get it if it's something significant that was said, but not every god damn sentence. The optics are horrendous.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:41 pm 

President Trump claimed he has “ended the war on beautiful clean coal.” My colleague Steve Mufson has already briefly noted some problems with this claim, but I’d like to go further here.

The real force that is weakening the coal industry remains alive and well, according to Trump’s own Energy Information Administration. As I explained in a story earlier this month, it is natural gas, made much cheaper by fracking technology.

Natural gas is continuing to displace coal in the electricity sector, and more natural gas plants are joining the electricity fleet while coal plants are closing, EIA noted earlier this month. Meanwhile, U.S. coal production continues to decline.

Coal exports are a slightly brighter story and there has been a small uptick in coal mining jobs in the last year or so – but only a small one. Employment in the industry has not regained its prior size of nearly 90,000 jobs, seen as recently as 2011 to 2012.

It seems unlikely that Trump can change this picture precisely because he favors a policy of American “energy dominance” – which means exploiting all of the country’s energy resources, including our natural gas. And natural gas has just proven to be quite the competitor to coal.

It’s true that Trump’s Energy Department has tried to help out the coal industry through a policy that would favor it in some electricity markets – but the independent Federal Energy Regulatory Commission rejected it as skewing markets.

And it’s true that repealing the Obama Clean Power Plan is helpful to coal – but you can’t repeal market forces.

Aiding “clean coal” might also be achieved through promoting coal plants that actually capture their carbon emissions and store them underground – a rarity in the U.S.

But Trump’s own administration has proposed sharply cutting research dollars for carbon capture and storage technology.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:41 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
We haven’t had plants built in the U.S.? Wow, those plants in Indiana, South Carolina, Alabama etc must not have told anyone.

Its amazing how a company can decide in January 2017 that a new plant will be built and running by December 2017.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:43 pm 

spmack wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

I would read Keyanas state of the Twitterverse

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Don Tiny wrote:
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Why do the representatives for the party of the working class not stand and applaud things ostensibly good for the working class, whether accomplished or set out to be accomplished?

Inneresting choice of word ... "ostensibly" ... 'apparently or purportedly, but perhaps not actually'.

Maybe that's precisely why.

"Listen workers, you may think some jobs are better than no jobs, but I'm here to tell you that I know better, which is why I won't appear on TV to be excited about your interests".

Yeah, that's a great approach that will win them more voters.

ToxicMasculinity wrote:
spmack wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

I would read Keyanas state of the Twitterverse

Doesn't sound too bad.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:44 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
Why do the representatives for the party of the working class not stand and applaud things ostensibly good for the working class, whether accomplished or set out to be accomplished?

Inneresting choice of word ... "ostensibly" ... 'apparently or purportedly, but perhaps not actually'.

Maybe that's precisely why.

"Listen workers, you may think some jobs are better than no jobs, but I'm here to tell you that I know better, which is why I won't appear on TV to be excited about your interests".

Yeah, that's a great approach that will win them more voters.

You made a telling/poor word choice. Just leave it be .... it'll be buried deep in this thread soon enough.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:45 pm 

Building roads and climbing mountains fuck yeah

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:46 pm 

There’s no such thing as “clean coal.” Power plants can mitigate some of the effects of burning coal by capturing and burying carbon-dioxide emissions, but that doesn’t cleanse the coal itself. By saying his administration “ended the war on clean coal,” Trump appears to be referencing the Environmental Protection Agency’s decision to repeal the Clean Power Plan implemented under President Barack Obama, which had pushed states to favor energy sources that produce fewer carbon emissions than coal.

Trump also says the United States is “now an exporter of energy,” but the United States has long been an energy exporter. Trump pledged during his campaign to turn the country into a net energy exporter, meaning it sells more energy to other countries than it buys from them. But that hasn’t happened and the U.S. Energy Information Administration estimates it won’t happen until sometime between 2020 and 2030.

According to the EIA, the United States was expected to become a net exporter of natural gas in 2017, and exports of crude oil and petroleum products more than doubled from 2010 to 2016. It’s important to note that the United States lifted restrictions on exporting crude oil in December 2015, while Obama was in office.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next