It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:21 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Nas wrote:
LTG is dominating this thread and a lot of people that I like are mostly wrong.

Facts:
No one has said they hate or dislike Lincoln.
It has been repeatedly pointed out that Lincoln wasn't against slavery in the south.
Lincoln didn't start a war to end slavery
No one has said that Lincoln was an awful president.
No one has said Lincoln wasn't a good president
Thieving Bernie is a charlatan

You have said he was not as good a president as. Teddy Roosevelt (what were his great accomplishments) and George Washington, who left the slave question for Lincoln to solve. And LTG blames Lincoln for Jim Crow.

Almost all historians disagree.

And by your logic on Bernie, everyone working for the government is a thief.

Teddy and George's records are solid enough that history doesn't need to be rewritten in order to elevate them.

Even the worst politicians occasionally attempt to do something other than talk and collect a check for 30 years. It's sad that MANY great people were conned into believing that a guy was going to accomplish things that he never even proposed in 30 years. It's unfortunate that MANY of those same people believe that Thieving Bernie was trying to win the election. Where are Thieving Bernie's tax returns?

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

"I don’t care about you; I just want your vote.”
Trump '24

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Nas wrote:
LBJ did more for the poor and minorities than any president has probably ever done.
So in LBJ's case you feel results trump his personal beliefs. Interesting.

How do you feel about his role in the dramatic expansion of U.S. participation in Vietnam?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:29 pm 
100000 CLUB

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Nas wrote:
LBJ did more for the poor and minorities than any president has probably ever done.

How do you feel about his role in the dramatic expansion of U.S. participation in Vietnam?

I don't know why you and others fail to read the actual words in posts. It is really unfortunate. If I cared about a president liking blacks or other minorities I wouldn't like MANY. This is solely about Dishonest Abe being elevated on MANY lists for things that are false. This is solely about my belief that he is overrated and shouldn't be ranked higher than 4th on any list.

The good LBJ did trumps the minor mistakes that he made. He's my kinda president.

Trump '24

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Apparently he didn't or much of anything else related to the period. Neither have you for that matter.

You pass yourself off as this great historian, but you regularly get your facts wrong. In this thread you project that Lincoln did not care about slavery despite: it being the dominate issue of his era, the fact that he literally said "A house divided cannot stand" and his election being enough for the South to rebel before he even took any actions. You then started that you did not care about his thoughts, just his actions, which were to end slavery.

Your problems with facts did not start in this thread either, you stated that Hitler won a majority democratic victory in Germany in a previous thread.

Rather than call others ignorant why not just stick to what occurred in history, and the best we know is that Lincoln did not approve of slavery and he won a war to end it. Speculation as to what he would have done had the South not rebelled is just that. And claims to know his true feelings and motivations based on his political speeches is sloppy history at best.

Facts that were established which were ignored:

1. Emancipation came 2 years after the war began and excluded slave states not fighting alongside of the confederacy.
Lincoln waited until the North appeared to be winning the war. It would have zero impact if the North did not win the war, thus he had to wait until a victory to announce it.

2. The Civil War was based on the South's desire to place slavery in Western Territories

It was a direct response to the election of Lincoln. Declarations to leave the Union do not mention the territories. They complain that the North is against their right to hold slaves: http://www.civilwar.org/education/histo ... oogle.com/.

3. Lincoln and Union initially ignored slavery for fear that it would alienate Northerners opposed to fighting for blacks.

Lincoln said he could not win the war without Kentucky. He also thought it would be politically advantageous to get the North united behind the cause of union first. That seemed to work out.

4. Lincoln and the quotes that you cited merely state some opposition to slavery. It doesn't mean that he sought to end it. He never did contrary to all of the pontificating existing right now. I never stated that he was for slavery. He never felt strongly enough to seek and end to it. Nas cited a quote which perfectly illustrates how he felt about the issue and you completely ignored it. You have ignored just about everything else relative to the subject yet you claim that I have my facts wrong.

He literally did end it. Thus at some point as President he sought to end it. You have a political speech because he was afraid of war. Any reasonable man would at least dread the prospect of war.

5. I also cited the movement to make Cuba a slave state.

Has nothing to do with this debate. Of course planters desires to expand their power.

6. Preventing slavery from expanding not ending it was the dominant issue of the 1850's

This is false. The Fugitive Slave Act and the North's failure to enforce it was as least as big of an issue. Slavery was the topic. Expansion was a subset of the larger issue.
Which facts do I have wrong?

2 is not a fact. 5 has nothing to do with this. 6 is wrong.
Its funny how you conveniently slant everything to fit some narrative that you have. If you can I would like for you to tell which one of these "facts" am I wrong about?

As far as me trying to present myself as some sort of "historian" as you suggest I'm comfortable. I'm comfortable with what I know and I'm comfortable in what i don't know.

More information to be ignored.

Causes Of The Civil War | HistoryNet
http://www.historynet.com/causes-of-the-civil-war

Causes Of The Civil War | History Detectives | PBS
http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetective ... civil-war/

Well the PBS history detectives are certainly the final world on this subject. You failed to respond to any of the points other than say you are being ignored. If you read the original documents of the Confederate states there is more than one issue going on. Expansion of slavery is one of them. The larger is that the North is challenging the right of slave holders and not enforcing laws on the books. What do you think a bigger issue is for a South Carolina planter? That the North is not returning his runaway slaves or his ability to bring slaves to say New Mexico?

Lincoln clearly knew that slavery had to end. Why else did he give the House Divided speech? It's wrong to say that he did not care about slavery in the South. Once war started, and he was able to take control of the situation he turned the war into one against slavery despite objections from his cabinet. This is Lincoln about the Emancipation Proclamation:

“I never, in my life, felt more certain that I was doing right, than I do in signing this paper,” he declared. “If my name ever goes into history it will be for this act, and my whole soul is in it."

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Nas wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Nas wrote:

I don't know why you and others fail to read the actual words in posts. It it really unfortunate. If I cared about a president liking blacks or other minorities I wouldn't like MANY. This is solely about Dishonest Abe being elevated on MANY lists for things that are false. This is solely about my belief that he is overrated and shouldn't be ranked higher than 4th on any list.

Perhaps you failed to read my actual words. My question was about your thoughts on LBJ's role in Vietnam.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:35 pm 

Nas wrote:
Nas wrote:
LTG is dominating this thread and a lot of people that I like are mostly wrong.

Facts:
No one has said they hate or dislike Lincoln.
It has been repeatedly pointed out that Lincoln wasn't against slavery in the south.
Lincoln didn't start a war to end slavery
No one has said that Lincoln was an awful president.
No one has said Lincoln wasn't a good president
Thieving Bernie is a charlatan

You have said he was not as good a president as. Teddy Roosevelt (what were his great accomplishments) and George Washington, who left the slave question for Lincoln to solve. And LTG blames Lincoln for Jim Crow.

Almost all historians disagree.

And by your logic on Bernie, everyone working for the government is a thief.

Teddy and George's records are solid enough that history doesn't need to be rewritten in order to elevate them.

Even the worst politicians occasionally attempt to do something other than talk and collect a check for 30 years. It's sad that MANY great people were conned into believing that a guy was going to accomplish things that he never even proposed in 30 years. It's unfortunate that MANY of those same people believe that Thieving Bernie was trying to win the election. Where are Thieving Bernie's tax returns?

Lincoln won the Civil War. Freed the slaves. We seem to be debating his intents, but these remain facts. What were Teddy's accomplishments that make him a better president?

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Nas wrote:
This is solely about my belief that he is overrated and shouldn't be ranked higher than 4th on any list.

The United States would VERY likely not exist in anything close to its current form without him. I think that FACT supports the case that he is minimally number 2.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:38 pm 
Site Admin

What were Teddy's accomplishments that make him a better president?

He acted a lot like Trump but we have hindsight to judge him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I was out in Medora, ND for a conference one year. I didn't realize how important Teddy was to the conservation of land. A National Park is named after him there. Skip it and go to a beach.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:41 pm 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
What were Teddy's accomplishments that make him a better president?

He acted a lot like Trump but we have hindsight to judge him.

He actually took on big business and won.

Trump '24

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
long time guy wrote:
2. The Civil War was based on the South's desire to place slavery in Western Territories

Oh, hey, would you look at that:

Quote:
Additional territories gained from the U.S.–Mexican War of 1846–1848 heightened the slavery debate. Abolitionists fought to have slavery declared illegal in those territories, as the Northwest Ordinance of 1787 had done in the territory that became the states of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin. Advocates of slavery feared that if the institution were prohibited in any states carved out of the new territories the political power of slaveholding states would be diminished, possibly to the point of slavery being outlawed everywhere within the United States.

Here is LTG's own source saying the South feared outlawing slavery in the expanded territories because it would eventually be used as a tool to outlaw the practice in their own states. It had nothing to do with "expanding slavery". Thanks, buddy!

Last edited by Juice's Lecture Notes on Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:43 pm 
100000 CLUB

denisdman wrote:
I was out in Medora, ND for a conference one year. I didn't realize how important Teddy was to the conservation of land. A National Park is named after him there. Skip it and go to a beach.

Conserved more land for parks and nature than every other president combined IIRC.

Trump '24

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:44 pm 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
This is solely about my belief that he is overrated and shouldn't be ranked higher than 4th on any list.

The United States would VERY likely not exist in anything close to its current form without him. I think that FACT supports the case that he is minimally number 2.

That's not a fact.

Trump '24

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:45 pm 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Apparently he didn't or much of anything else related to the period. Neither have you for that matter.

You pass yourself off as this great historian, but you regularly get your facts wrong. In this thread you project that Lincoln did not care about slavery despite: it being the dominate issue of his era, the fact that he literally said "A house divided cannot stand" and his election being enough for the South to rebel before he even took any actions. You then started that you did not care about his thoughts, just his actions, which were to end slavery.

Your problems with facts did not start in this thread either, you stated that Hitler won a majority democratic victory in Germany in a previous thread.

Rather than call others ignorant why not just stick to what occurred in history, and the best we know is that Lincoln did not approve of slavery and he won a war to end it. Speculation as to what he would have done had the South not rebelled is just that. And claims to know his true feelings and motivations based on his political speeches is sloppy history at best.

Facts that were established which were ignored:

1. Emancipation came 2 years after the war began and excluded slave states not fighting alongside of the confederacy.
Lincoln waited until the North appeared to be winning the war. It would have zero impact if the North did not win the war, thus he had to wait until a victory to announce it.

It was a direct response to the election of Lincoln. Declarations to leave the Union do not mention the territories. They complain that the North is against their right to hold slaves: http://www.civilwar.org/education/histo ... oogle.com/.

3. Lincoln and Union initially ignored slavery for fear that it would alienate Northerners opposed to fighting for blacks.

Lincoln said he could not win the war without Kentucky. He also thought it would be politically advantageous to get the North united behind the cause of union first. That seemed to work out.

4. Lincoln and the quotes that you cited merely state some opposition to slavery. It doesn't mean that he sought to end it. He never did contrary to all of the pontificating existing right now. I never stated that he was for slavery. He never felt strongly enough to seek and end to it. Nas cited a quote which perfectly illustrates how he felt about the issue and you completely ignored it. You have ignored just about everything else relative to the subject yet you claim that I have my facts wrong.

He literally did end it. Thus at some point as President he sought to end it. You have a political speech because he was afraid of war. Any reasonable man would at least dread the prospect of war.

5. I also cited the movement to make Cuba a slave state.

Has nothing to do with this debate. Of course planters desires to expand their power.

6. Preventing slavery from expanding not ending it was the dominant issue of the 1850's

This is false. The Fugitive Slave Act and the North's failure to enforce it was as least as big of an issue. Slavery was the topic. Expansion was a subset of the larger issue.
Which facts do I have wrong?

2 is not a fact. 5 has nothing to do with this. 6 is wrong.
Its funny how you conveniently slant everything to fit some narrative that you have. If you can I would like for you to tell which one of these "facts" am I wrong about?

As far as me trying to present myself as some sort of "historian" as you suggest I'm comfortable. I'm comfortable with what I know and I'm comfortable in what i don't know.

Well the PBS history detectives are certainly the final world on this subject. You failed to respond to any of the points other than say you are being ignored. If you read the original documents of the Confederate states there is more than one issue going on. Expansion of slavery is one of them. The larger is that the North is challenging the right of slave holders and not enforcing laws on the books. What do you think a bigger issue is for a South Carolina planter? That the North is not returning his runaway slaves or his ability to bring slaves to say New Mexico?

Lincoln clearly knew that slavery had to end. Why else did he give the House Divided speech? It's wrong to say that he did not care about slavery in the South. Once war started, and he was able to take control of the situation he turned the war into one against slavery despite objections from his cabinet. This is Lincoln about the Emancipation Proclamation:

“I never, in my life, felt more certain that I was doing right, than I do in signing this paper,” he declared. “If my name ever goes into history it will be for this act, and my whole soul is in it."

Ok Here is the response.

How can the fact that they attempted to make Cuba a slave state irrelevant?

The reason that the North failed to enforce the Fugitive Slave Act is directly related to the expansion of slavery.

KNowing that slavery had to end and attempting to end it are truly quite different things. I don't doubt that Lincoln was opposed to slavery. Maybe he was but nothing ever suggested that he was willing to do anything about it.

If his reluctance to do anything about it was simply related to "prevailing winds" as you and others suggest then he shouldn't be lauded. If he'd declared war over slavery then I'd celebrate him. He didn't. The South forced his hand.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

This, and I think it makes him number 1. There is really no other president in history that, if we went back in time and replaced with a random president, would have a small likelihood of producing similar results. Lincoln's political skills saved the Union.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:48 pm 
100000 CLUB

We wouldn't have had a union or be where we are today with George Washington. A man like Lincoln would have tried to grab all power he could. George Washington knew better.

Trump '24

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:50 pm 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Quote:
Additional territories gained from the U.S.–Mexican War of 1846–1848 heightened the slavery debate. Abolitionists fought to have slavery declared illegal in those territories, as the Northwest Ordinance of 1787 had done in the territory that became the states of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin. Advocates of slavery feared that if the institution were prohibited in any states carved out of the new territories the political power of slaveholding states would be diminished, possibly to the point of slavery being outlawed everywhere within the United States.

Here is LTG's own source saying the South feared outlawing slavery in the expanded territories because it would eventually be used as a tool to outlaw the practice in their own states. It had nothing to do with "expanding slavery". Thanks, buddy!

I guess that you neglected the part where Lincoln promised not to touch the issue of slavery in existing slave states. This is what I mean by Cherry picking. You also ignored the part regarding "prohibited in any states carved out of the new territories" I saw that part you cited and I still posted it anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:51 pm 

Nas wrote:
We wouldn't have had a union or be where we are today with(out) George Washington. A man like Lincoln would have tried to grab all power he could. George Washington knew better.

:lol:

Lincoln went too far in his powers now. Earlier he was not doing enough to end slavery. Now he was a tyrant who went too far.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:52 pm 

I guess this little issue regarding territorial expansion played no role either

Bleeding Kansas: From the Kansas-Nebraska Act to Harpers Ferry | Civil War on the Western Border: The Missouri-Kansas Conflict, 1854-1865
http://www.civilwaronthewesternborder.o ... pers-ferry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Yeah, I seriously can't keep up with the criticisms here.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Quote:

I guess that you neglected the part where Lincoln promised not to touch the issue of slavery in existing slave states. This is what I mean by Cherry picking. You also ignored the part regarding "prohibited in any states carved out of the new territories" I saw that part you cited and I still posted it anyway.

OK, one more time. Here is what you said:

Quote:
The Civil War was based on the South's desire to place slavery in Western Territories

You've said it a bunch, and been told you were wrong a bunch, and still, you persist. Anyway, here is what your source said about about "the South's desire to place slavery in the Western Territories":

Quote:
Advocates of slavery feared that if the institution were prohibited in any states carved out of the new territories the political power of slaveholding states would be diminished, possibly to the point of slavery being outlawed everywhere within the United States.

Your point is wrong. You are wrong. Your own sources say you are wrong. Stop saying it.

The objective of the South was not to expand the practice of slavery, it was to preserve the legality of slavery for their own interests. Just admit you were wrong and move on to another of your 10,000 asinine points.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:55 pm 
100000 CLUB

Nas wrote:
We wouldn't have had a union or be where we are today with(out) George Washington. A man like Lincoln would have tried to grab all power he could. George Washington knew better.

Lincoln went too far in his powers now. Earlier he was not doing enough to end slavery. Now he was a tyrant who went too far.

Wrong! It's okay to actually read the posts.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=105129

Trump '24

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:57 pm 
100000 CLUB

leashyourkids wrote:
Yeah, I seriously can't keep up with the criticisms here.

It not hard as long as you read the posts and don't create things in your mind that was never said.

Trump '24

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:02 pm 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Quote:

OK, one more time. Here is what you said:

Quote:
The Civil War was based on the South's desire to place slavery in Western Territories

You've said it a bunch, and been told you were wrong a bunch, and still, you persist. Anyway, here is what your source said about about "the South's desire to place slavery in the Western Territories":

Quote:
Advocates of slavery feared that if the institution were prohibited in any states carved out of the new territories the political power of slaveholding states would be diminished, possibly to the point of slavery being outlawed everywhere within the United States.

Your point is wrong. You are wrong. Your own sources say you are wrong. Stop saying it.

The objective of the South was not to expand the practice of slavery, it was to preserve the legality of slavery for their own interests. Just admit you were wrong and move on to another of your 10,000 asinine points.

I just linked something directly related to territorial expansion. What are the chances that you actually address. If you read any history book it will state that expansion into the territories was central factor in the Civil War. Lincoln stated that he didn't want to touch the issue of slavery yet you ignore it.

The issue regarding the Kansas/Nebraska was directly related to territorial expansion. It occurred 3 years prior to the start of the Civil War. Violence erupted as a result yet Territorial expansion over the issue of slavery was unimportant.

The abolitionist movement wasn't much of a factor either. You have thoroughly been debunked thoroughout this entire discourse yet you persist.

Explain Kansas/Nebraska then without discussing territorial expansion?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:07 pm 

Can Waiting for Ruffcorn or JLN discuss the Civil War without discussing the debate and fight (literally) over Kansas/Nebraska? Was the fight regarding Kansas?Nebraska not related to the expansion of slavery into the territories? Did this fight not serve as a precursor to the Civil War?

If you can answer this without using alternative facts it would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:22 pm 
100000 CLUB

Abraham Lincoln wanted to abolish slavery. Abraham Lincoln went to war with the south to end slavery. #FakeHistory #AlternativeHistory

Trump '24

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

That's not a fact.

It's very likely not true either

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:41 pm 

It is kinda funny that 75% of this thread is in response to Nas saying Lincoln should be 4th instead of 1st.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
It is kinda funny that 75% of this thread is in response to Nas saying Lincoln should be 4th instead of 1st.

You don't think it's so fucking funny when I say Jordan is sixth instead of first though. As if the door is shut on that conversation. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:45 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

You don't think it's so fucking funny when I say Jordan is sixth instead of first though. As if the door is shut on that conversation. :lol:

It is to everyone except you. Lincoln's legacy is a bit more complex.

To rock my soul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next