It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:17 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
No more dependent exemption, which provides $4,050 for each qualifying dependent ... Yourself, spouse, and each child.
Repeals tax credit for adoption.
Student loan interest deduction is repealed.
Deductions for medical savings accounts, repealed. This was one of the major draws of HSAs, no?
Moving expenses deduction, repealed.
Alimony deduction, repealed.
Medical expenses deduction, repealed - treatment, transportation, long-term care, etc.

Quote:
The House Tax Bill: Six Popular Breaks You Didn't Realize You'll Be Losing

Earlier today, the House of Representatives released its vision of tax reform, and there's a lot to digest. Over 420 pages, in fact. Luckily, there has been no shortage of quality coverage of the bill around the interwebs, detailing the changes to tax rates and personal exemptions and the like.

But with 420 pages, some things are sure to slip through the cracks, and it is to these less publicized items that this column intends to draw attention.

Of course, there are both unexpected tax breaks and increases hidden within the bowls of the bill, but lest you forget, I'm generally a miserable person who prefers to dwell on the negative. As a result, let's take a look at six tax breaks that you very likely didn't realize you will lose if today's bill becomes law.

#1: Divorce just got even more expensive

Under current law, alimony payments are deductible by the payor, and considered taxable income to the payee. And because you people are simply incapable of remaining faithful, there is a lot of alimony paid each year, about $10 billion to be exact.

The House bill eliminated the deduction for alimony. The change doesn't add much revenue, however, because the bill also makes alimony tax-free to the recipient. As a result, it raises only $8 billion over ten years, almost entirely from Larry King.

#2: Don't be in a rush to sell your house

When you sell your home, provided you have owned and used the home as your primary residence for two of the prior five years, you may exclude up to $500,000 of the gain (if married, $250,000 if single).

The House bill would require that, in order to exclude the gain from a sale, you own and use the house as your primary residence for five of the prior eight years. In addition, you begin to lose the exemption as adjusted gross income (in a look back period) exceeds $500,000 (if married, $250,000 if single).

#3: Don't get sick. Or move. Or go back to school. Or do anything, really.

Taxpayers may deduct medical expenses incurred to mitigate, diagnose, treat a disease. Today's bill would eliminate the deduction for all medical expenses. This will prove particularly damaging to the elderly, many of whom have traditionally relied on the deduction for a portion of their nursing home care to wipe out any income they use to pay those expenses.

In addition, if you have to move for a new job, you generally may deduct the cost to transport your belongings to your new home. Generally, your new gig must be at least 50 miles farther from your old house than your old gig. In other words, your commute, had you not moved, would have grown by 50 miles.

Today's bill will eliminate the moving deduction. But don't let a lost tax deduction motivate you to hire a low-budget moving company. My wife and I tried that once and ended up engaging the services of what I can only assume was the Russian mob. Needless to say, things did not go well, at least until I paid three grand to get my stuff out of a storage locker in Kansas.

Finally, if you're an employee who was thinking of going back to school for a graduate degree in your particular business field, you may want to think twice. Under current law, your employer can pay up to $5,250 of your tuition, books, etc... and you don't have to recognize the payment as income. Alternatively, if your employer won't pay for you to go to school, you may deduct any unreimbursed educational expenses, provided the education simply maintains or improves your existing skills, and doesn't prepare or qualify you for a new trade or business.

Today's bill would eliminate BOTH the ability to receive tax-free educational assistance from your employer and the unreimbursed employee expense for professional education. So if the employer pays, you're recognizing taxable income, and if you pay, you get no deduction. I guess it makes sense for the GOP to discourage education; after all, if the country wises up, what happens to Fox News? HI-YO!

#4: Every day will be "bring your kid to work day!"

Similar to educational assistance, an employer may pay directly or reimburse up to $5,000 for an employee's dependent care expenses, without the employee having to recognize the income. This allows the employee to seek care for a child under 13 on a tax-free basis.

Well, get ready to spend considerably more quality time with Junior, because today's bill would eliminate the exclusion. As a result, any amount the employer pays on your behalf or reimburses you is taxable income.

#5: You didn't think it was possible, but somehow your student loans just became a BIGGER hassle

Taxpayers can deduct -- up to certain limits -- the interest paid on student loans. Even better, the deduction is not an itemized deduction, so every taxpayer is eligible, though the deductions do disappear as income exceeds fairly moderate thresholds.

The House bill would eliminate the deduction for student loan interest, leaving you without even a tax benefit to show for that ill-advised philosophy degree.

#6: Time to fire your tax preparer (note: do not fire your tax preparer)

Nobody likes their tax preparer. Trust me, I know, I'm one of them AND I"m surrounded by them all day. We're the worst. But at least in the past, you could stomach your interactions with people like me because you knew that every penny you paid me was tax deductible.

Well, no more...the House bill eliminates the deduction for tax prep fees. But don't let that discourage you from offering up a healthy tip. I've got kids to feed.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonynit ... 6e645b5453

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:25 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:27 am 

I'l take the tax cut.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:30 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
I'l take the tax cut.

I'm no CPA but I'm guessing my taxes will be rising.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:31 am 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Killer V wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
I'l take the tax cut.

Don't move?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:32 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
I kinda like it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:38 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
the democrats are abandoning me...

Schumer complained yesterday that a married couple making 100k would get taxed $5000 more. Dude, I'm a married couple, and we're grossing under 50k. This does not affect me. If I made 100k between my wife and I, I'd be crazy rich. Focus on the true low/middle class.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:38 am 

Killer V wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
I'l take the tax cut.

Yea, I dont know, now.

I'm not sure if the gains from the child tax credit will offset loss of dependent exemption.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:40 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Killer V wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
I'l take the tax cut.

Yea, I dont know, now.

I'm not sure if the gains from the child tax credit will offset loss of dependent exemption.

the standard exemption is doubling. Pretty sure my taxes will be going down.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:41 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
I kinda like it.
It does seem like a pretty decent plan. You never know for sure until it's in place. I mean, when people have to bring up that alimony payments would no longer be deductible to the payor but the payee would not need to pay taxes on it, and we can't write off the $300 a year charge to get our taxes done I think you are seeing that it really isn't the disaster that many thought it would be.

Most of the losses are to employer paid benefits now being taxable too. I mean, that is income.

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I don't believe that medical change is for HSA's. There is a provision in the code where you can deduct out of pocket medical expenses above an AGI threshold. The threshold is 10% of your AGI. So if you make $80,000 in AGI (bottom of first page of 1040), then you can deduct out of pocket medical expenses above $8,000. Very few people would ever hit that threshold because of insurance max out of pocket limits. I'll check if there are any HSA changes.

The personal deduction is being replaced by a higher standard deduction and higher child tax credit. Remember, there is a big difference between a deduction and a tax credit. A deduction only reduces your tax bill by your marginal tax rate or 25% for most folks on this board in the new bill. So a $10,000 deduction is equivalent to a $2,500 tax credit. The tax credit reduces your tax bill dollar for dollar.

For most middle class folks, the lower tax rates and higher brackets will be a net benefit. But let's not fool ourselves, this tax cut is 80% for businesses.

City of Fools wrote:

Schumer complained yesterday that a married couple making 100k would get taxed $5000 more. Dude, I'm a married couple, and we're grossing under 50k. This does not affect me. If I made 100k between my wife and I, I'd be crazy rich. Focus on the true low/middle class.

I understand you're point of view, but 100K for a married couple with kids is not rich or anything close to it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:42 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Killer V wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
I'l take the tax cut.

Yea, I dont know, now.

From what I understand it's a pretty big cut for those with less than 3 kids.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:43 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

I understand you're point of view, but 100K for a married couple with kids is not rich or anything close to it.

I've got 3 kids. I could afford a 250-300k house if I was making that much. People have forgotten how to budget and live within their means.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:46 am 

City of Fools wrote:

When Dems are raising taxes, $250k are rich people. When the Dems are fighting a tax cut bill, $250k people are middle class.

Let me also throw this out there, most of these people Schumer is worried about in NY and CA are wrapped up in the AMT. That provision is being repealed. For folks in the AMT, they do not get to deduct local taxes anyway. The AMT has a high single standard deduction, allows for mortgage interest to be deducted, and is a 26%/28% "flat tax". Meaning, you pay 26% on your first dollar of taxable income. High tax states have the most AMT payors.

So all this bullshit that six figure people in high tax states are going to get hit in this plan is a joke. That graphic that RPB posted yesterday shows that the AMT repeal will cost the government nearly $700B per year. Those are the folks Schumer is talking about.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:46 am 

Since everything is so clear and defined, there's no problem with the GOP ramming this through then, right?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:47 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
The funniest thing is that Democrats in DC are complaining that the middle class will be hurt by lowering the mortgage deducation to only the 1st $500k on a mortgage... Yeah like plenty of middle class people have $500k+ homes. :lol:

Fucking morons... No wonder the GOP is becoming the populist party.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:48 am 

Killer V wrote:
Since everything is so clear and defined, there's no problem with the GOP ramming this through then, right?

there seems to be an awful lot of horse trading going on, so I'd say there better be problems. I hate scratch my back, I'll scratch yours stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:49 am 

Killer V wrote:

All the details are there in 429 pages. Now, they'll be changes in committee, but nothing is obscure but the actual costs. The CBO will score it soon.

This is not bluster. It is a written, formal plan for all to see.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:50 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
The funniest thing is that Democrats in DC are complaining that the middle class will be hurt by lowering the mortgage deducation to only the 1st $500k on a mortgage... Yeah like plenty of middle class people have $500k+ homes. :lol:

And it only applies to mortgages moving forward, no? So, don't move.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:51 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

they do.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:52 am 

City of Fools wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

I've got 3 kids. I could afford a 250-300k house if I was making that much. People have forgotten how to budget and live within their means.

Buying a house that expensive in that situation would not be living within means.

You're saying 100K total income for a family of 5 and you're living in a 300K house?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:55 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

they do.

If you can afford a 500k home, you are not middle class. Hilarious. No wonder the republican party is picking up steam. I don't see us winning an election for a while with this attitude.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:56 am 

City of Fools wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

they do.

If you can afford a 500k home, you are not middle class. Hilarious. No wonder the republican party is picking up steam. I don't see us winning an election for a while with this attitude.

This is pretty much why Trump swept the so-called "blue wall" states.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:57 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

Buying a house that expensive in that situation would not be living within means.

You're saying 100K total income for a family of 5 and you're living in a 300K house?

I didn't say I would do it or that someone who did would have a lot of extra money. But yes, you could. I afforded a 200k home on our salaries until we sold it. We shopped at Aldi, never ate out, rarely had a date night etc etc etc.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:58 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

they do.
I'm sure some do but $500k is still a really high threshold for mattering at all. With a 20% down payment that is already a $600k house, and every year you build up some more equity so the cost would be minimal on any house under $700k. That means we are probably talking about 5 or 6 cities at most and to be honest if that mortgage deduction is that important to you then buy a house that doesn't cost you that much. There already is some sort of interest rate jump at around $460k that would be much more damaging for someone on a tight budget spending that type of cash on a house.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:59 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

they do.

This is pretty much why Trump swept the so-called "blue wall" states.

That and voter suppression.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

City of Fools wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

I didn't say I would do it or that someone who did would have a lot of extra money. But yes, you could. I afforded a 200k home on our salaries until we sold it. We shopped at Aldi, never ate out, rarely had a date night etc etc etc.

There are a lot of factors and unknowns in this hypothetical.

Everyone's idea of "afford" or "living within means" is different.

We shop at Aldi for like 75% of stuff.

pizza_Place: giordanos
Killer V wrote:

Seems so. They are being very careful in what they change so they can use reconciliation and tell all the Dems to pound sand. For the record, yes I was against reconciliation in the Reid/Pelosi era.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:00 am 

I will also add that the new 12% bracket (which covers the full scope of the current 15% and the very bottom of the current 25% bracket) will make for some nice savings as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 32  Next