It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
long time guy wrote:
Can Waiting for Ruffcorn or JLN discuss the Civil War without discussing the debate and fight (literally) over Kansas/Nebraska? Was the fight regarding Kansas?Nebraska not related to the expansion of slavery into the territories? Did this fight not serve as a precursor to the Civil War?

If you can answer this without using alternative facts it would be greatly appreciated.

Waiting For Ruffcorn has become a formidable debater. He appears to have the stamina to withstand the Wizard of Nas and Long Post Guy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
long time guy wrote:
If you read any history book it will state that expansion into the territories was central factor in the Civil War.

No, they won't, because people understand that secession was the central factor in the Civil War, and it (secession) was spurred by Lincoln running (and winning, wihtout carrying a single Southern state) on a platform of restricting slavery, a practice to which Southerners believed that had a constitutional right. They believed the federal outlawing of slavery would harm them in two ways:

1. The tools used to abolish slavery in the new territories would be the same tools used by courts and Congress to abolish or further restrict slavery in their home territories

2. Abolishing slavery in the new territories would create more areas into which they could not travel with "their property".

It had nothing at all to do with actually expanding the practice of slavery. They were "pro slavery", not "more slavery".

Quote:
Lincoln stated that he didn't want to touch the issue of slavery yet you ignore it.

In favor of the literally hundreds of other quotes in which Lincoln says he despises slavery and wants to end it, up to and including where he ends it, yes.

Quote:
The issue regarding the Kansas/Nebraska was directly related to territorial expansion. It occurred 3 years prior to the start of the Civil War. Violence erupted as a result yet Territorial expansion over the issue of slavery was unimportant.

It was actually a war for sovereignty. Popular Sovereignty was slipped into the Kansas-Nebraska Act, which itself made quite clear its stance on the legality of slavery in the two territories. The people fighting in Kansas weren't fighting to repeal a law, or to free slaves, they were fighting to get more of their own people into the territory so that Kansas could enter the Union as a free state and be further used to abolish slavery throughout the country. Pro-slavery groups saw this happening, and tried to stop it.

It had nothing to do with actually wanting more slaves and more slave-worked land in Kansas and Nebraska, it was about wanting to wield the political might to keep slavery legal in places where it was already legal.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
denisdman wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Can Waiting for Ruffcorn or JLN discuss the Civil War without discussing the debate and fight (literally) over Kansas/Nebraska? Was the fight regarding Kansas?Nebraska not related to the expansion of slavery into the territories? Did this fight not serve as a precursor to the Civil War?

If you can answer this without using alternative facts it would be greatly appreciated.

Waiting For Ruffcorn has become a formidable debater. He appears to have the stamina to withstand the Wizard of Nas and Long Post Guy.

Need to get back to the simpler times of Denis evaluating women.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
FavreFan wrote:
It is kinda funny that 75% of this thread is in response to Nas saying Lincoln should be 4th instead of 1st.

Not really. Most of it is a debate over whether Lincoln was anti-slavery or not or whether his true feelings play into grading the job he did.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:54 pm 

Irish Boy doing work.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:56 pm 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
denisdman wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Need to get back to the simpler times of Denis evaluating women.

I almost posted a suggestive picture of Deanna Troi in the Star Trek thread as a way to show why most nerds liked The Next Generation.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:57 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
denisdman wrote:
long time guy wrote:

He won't give up until I say Lincoln was a saint or the G.O.A.T.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

"I don’t care about you; I just want your vote.”
Trump '24

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:58 pm 
100000 CLUB

FavreFan wrote:
It is kinda funny that 75% of this thread is in response to Nas saying Lincoln should be 4th instead of 1st.

Sad! No one has proven any of MY points about Lincoln were wrong.

Trump '24

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

You don't think it's so fucking funny when I say Jordan is sixth instead of first though. As if the door is shut on that conversation. :lol:

:lol:

It is to everyone except you. Lincoln's legacy is a bit more complex.

Not really. The United States in the form of a single entity the way we view it today would almost certainly not exist had Lincoln not been president. At best we'd be saying "these United States are" rather than "the United States is" and more likely the states or whatever they morphed into would not be united, if they existed at all.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Nas wrote:
denisdman wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Abraham Lincoln, Patron Saint of Abolishing Slavery but Not Clarifying Beforehand that Abolishing Slavery is a Good Thing

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:01 pm 

Nas wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Sad! No one has proven any of MY points about Lincoln were wrong.

MANY (including me) have told you that we don't think your points matter. Disaster.

Nas wrote:
denisdman wrote:
long time guy wrote:

He's performed miracles worthy of a saint, but I would settle for better than Washington and Teddy Roosevelt.

The Missing Link wrote:

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

You don't think it's so fucking funny when I say Jordan is sixth instead of first though. As if the door is shut on that conversation. :lol:

Not really. The United States in the form of a single entity the way we view it today would almost certainly not exist had Lincoln not been president. At best we'd be saying "these United States are" rather than "the United States is" and more likely the states or whatever they morphed into would not be united, if they existed at all.

I couldn't disagree more. That's little more than baseless speculation based on the hero worship many have for Presidents. If Lincoln had never been born, another guy would've done what he did or similar and we'd be in largely the same place today

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:02 pm 

There are two people you do not fuck with around this place unless you are willing to walk away- Brick and LTG. For Ruffcorn to engage like this shows he may be up to the task, but experience tells me, LTG will wear him down.

Now there are plenty of second tier, "tread carefully" types, like JORR and even FF, but I have seen great men fall to Brick and LTG.

Anyone want to play Tic Tac Toe?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:03 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I couldn't disagree more. That's little more than baseless speculation based on the hero worship many have for Presidents. If Lincoln had never been born, another guy would've done what he did or similar and we'd be in largely the same place today

That is a much larger leap of faith than what JORR stated.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
denisdman wrote:
There are two people you do not fuck with around this place unless you are willing to walk away- Brick and LTG. For Ruffcorn to engage like this shows he may be up to the task, but experience tells me, LTG will wear him down.

Now there are plenty of second tier, "tread carefully" types, like JORR and even FF, but I have seen great men fall to Brick and LTG.

Oh come on, Irish B--I mean, Juice's Lecture Notes doesn't get any love?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:05 pm 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
denisdman wrote:

I beat all those people on a daily basis.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:05 pm 
100000 CLUB

FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
This is solely about my belief that he is overrated and shouldn't be ranked higher than 4th on any list.

The United States would VERY likely not exist in anything close to its current form without him. I think that FACT supports the case that he is minimally number 2.

That's not a fact.

It's very likely not true either

If Lincoln loses the the south doesn't secede and slavery isn't prohibited in the new territories. The blacks wouldn't have been exploited to win a war. History isn't rewritten. Propaganda isn't shoved down our throats about a homosexual president. The United States still becomes the greatest country on earth and slavery is ultimately abolished 20 to 30 years later like it was WITH Lincoln. 8)

Trump '24

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:06 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Not even close

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:06 pm 

long time guy wrote:
If you read any history book it will state that expansion into the territories was central factor in the Civil War.

No, they won't, because people understand that secession was the central factor in the Civil War, and it (secession) was spurred by Lincoln running (and winning, wihtout carrying a single Southern state) on a platform of restricting slavery, a practice to which Southerners believed that had a constitutional right. They believed the federal outlawing of slavery would harm them in two ways:

1. The tools used to abolish slavery in the new territories would be the same tools used by courts and Congress to abolish or further restrict slavery in their home territories

2. Abolishing slavery in the new territories would create more areas into which they could not travel with "their property".

It had nothing at all to do with actually expanding the practice of slavery. They were "pro slavery", not "more slavery".

Quote:
Lincoln stated that he didn't want to touch the issue of slavery yet you ignore it.

In favor of the literally hundreds of other quotes in which Lincoln says he despises slavery and wants to end it, up to and including where he ends it, yes.

Quote:
The issue regarding the Kansas/Nebraska was directly related to territorial expansion. It occurred 3 years prior to the start of the Civil War. Violence erupted as a result yet Territorial expansion over the issue of slavery was unimportant.

It was actually a war for sovereignty. Popular Sovereignty was slipped into the Kansas-Nebraska Act, which itself made quite clear its stance on the legality of slavery in the two territories. The people fighting in Kansas weren't fighting to repeal a law, or to free slaves, they were fighting to get more of their own people into the territory so that Kansas could enter the Union as a free state and be further used to abolish slavery throughout the country. Pro-slavery groups saw this happening, and tried to stop it.

It had nothing to do with actually wanting more slaves and more slave-worked land in Kansas and Nebraska, it was about wanting to wield the political might to keep slavery legal in places where it was already legal.

You are completely wrong. The Pro slavery vs Free Soil forces actually battled over the right to bring make Kansas either free or slave. yet you state (incorrectly) that it had nothing to do with it. This is the essence of revisionism.

Last edited by long time guy on Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:07 pm 

Nas wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
This is solely about my belief that he is overrated and shouldn't be ranked higher than 4th on any list.

The United States would VERY likely not exist in anything close to its current form without him. I think that FACT supports the case that he is minimally number 2.

That's not a fact.

If Lincoln loses the the south doesn't secede and slavery isn't prohibited in the new territories. The blacks wouldn't have been exploited to win a war. History isn't rewritten. Propaganda isn't shoved down our throats about a homosexual president. The United States still becomes the greatest country on earth and slavery is ultimately abolished 20 to 30 years later like it was WITH Lincoln. 8)

I bet those slaves who had to endure 20 or 30 more years find those years to be a bit more important than you do.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:08 pm 
100000 CLUB

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Nas wrote:
denisdman wrote:
long time guy wrote:

He's performed miracles worthy of a saint, but I would settle for better than Washington and Teddy Roosevelt.

So worse than FDR?

Trump '24

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:08 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Not even close

Cool. Good debate.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:09 pm 

denisdman wrote:

JLN, you're an emerging threat but have yet to reach the big leagues. Ruffcorn has a less abrasive style that contrasts well in these arguments. So many guys go off the deep end and use hyperbole. He is like a well oiled machine firing off factoids in a constructive manner.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:09 pm 
100000 CLUB

leashyourkids wrote:
Nas wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

That's not a fact.

I bet those slaves who had to endure 20 or 30 more years find those years to be a bit more important than you do.

We know slavery ended in name only. It took several decades for it to truly end. I suppose MANY wouldn't have noticed the difference.

Trump '24

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:10 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

It's like saying nothing bad could ever happen because it worked out this way. If the South had won, and when slaves were no longer needed on farms in such volume due to technology, what would the South have done with them? Think they would vote to make them citizens?

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:10 pm 

I'd like to point out that when LTG finishes his six paragraph response to something posted on page 7 of this thread, he is going to get a long message about all the other posts that have been made since.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:12 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Not even close

Cool. Good debate.

Seriously though, I don't even know how you could say that. First of all, JORR made the assertion we would be radically different without backing it up. So that right there would indicate his is more a leap of faith than me saying we would basically be fine.

Second, stop acting like Abraham Lincoln was some kind of God. You're saying, with a straight face, that the only person talented and motivated enough to end slavery just happened to come along at the perfect time and place in history to end it? We've had great Presidents and terrible Presidents before and after Lincoln. Even if we all agree he's the concensus #1 on the list, it shouldn't be hard to acknowledge that slavery would've ended and we'd still be a united country today even if he never existed. Taking the opposite stance is a much more radical opinion than any I've posited.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

That's why I don't care about Trump. If he had never been born some other guy would have just banned Muslims and appointed Betsy DeVos as Secretary of Education.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:14 pm 

CSFMB is certain about issues historians disagree upon.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next