It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 496 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:11 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
I would never claim the moral high ground for the United States. :lol:

Seriously, with all the dirty shit we've done around the world, that's a naive wet dream. I feel sorry for anyone still thinks the US retains any shred of moral superiority. That's blind and ignorant.

That has been my essential point all along. This Middle Eastern entanglement has very little to do with Islam nor was it ever about Islam. This is about oil and money and has been since 1945. Without oil the U.S. Government would be long gone from the region. This thing about the evils of Islam is a nouvo rationale used by propagandists to drum up support.

If you look at much of the language that is now used to describe Islam you find that it was no different than language once used to describe communism. History proved that Communism was never the threat it was perpetrated to be and in time the same will be said of Islam.

Holy shit.

More than 100M people died at the hands of Communist leaders in the 20th Century.

My original quote. Never the threat it was perpetrated to be. Interesting how that wasn't placed in bold print.

The Cuban Missile Crisis was a made for TV historical event.

Point remains that whatever threat existed was initiated by the U.S.

Containment strategy was created by Kennan well before there was a Cuban Missile crisis.

Again you have a strange way of conceiving history. Soviet aggression throughout the Cold War existed primarily in eastern Europe. Can you say the same regarding U.S. aggression? If that doesn't perfectly illustrate the nature of the threat nothing will.

Last edited by long time guy on Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
long time guy wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
I would never claim the moral high ground for the United States. :lol:

Seriously, with all the dirty shit we've done around the world, that's a naive wet dream. I feel sorry for anyone still thinks the US retains any shred of moral superiority. That's blind and ignorant.

That has been my essential point all along. This Middle Eastern entanglement has very little to do with Islam nor was it ever about Islam. This is about oil and money and has been since 1945. Without oil the U.S. Government would be long gone from the region. This thing about the evils of Islam is a nouvo rationale used by propagandists to drum up support.

If you look at much of the language that is now used to describe Islam you find that it was no different than language once used to describe communism. History proved that Communism was never the threat it was perpetrated to be and in time the same will be said of Islam.

Holy shit.

More than 100M people died at the hands of Communist leaders in the 20th Century.

My original quote. Never the threat it was perpetrated to be. Interesting how that wasn't placed in bold print.

The Cuban Missile Crisis was a made for TV historical event.
Point remains that whatever threat existed was initiated by the U.S. Containment strategy was created by Kennan well before the Cuban Missile crisis.

Again, you contradict your own premise and affirm the premise of those that disagree with you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:18 pm 
What does any of that have to do with Nazis and Milo?
S

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:25 pm 

Missiles were pointed at the U.S. as a reaction of the U.S. pointing there missiles at the Soviets. Because your arguments are so one sided you can never quite seem to be objective. If Soviets exercising their right to defend themselves constitutes a threat them so be it.

I'm going to state this then keep it pushing. It really is quite obvious from.reading these threads that there are MANY that believe in "American exceptionalism". No matter the scenario they will find justification for American actions. When presented with facts they simply ignore them.

At no point in history were the Soviets ever going to initiate an attack against the United States. When I speak of threat that is what I'm referring to.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:28 pm 

Wow. ltg's answer to everything seems to be "The United States is at fault".

Yeah, Russia was just a victim in the Cold War. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:30 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Yeah and yours and others seems to be that the U.S. is never at fault. Between the two extremes there is a happy middle ground so we should be all good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:31 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

They didn't start the Cold War.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:32 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Yeah and yours and others seems to be that the U.S. is never at fault. Between the two extremes there is a happy middle ground so we should be all good.
Where have I said the U.S. is never at fault or anything close to it?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:37 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Where have I said the U.S. is never at fault or anything close to it?

The next time you address U.S. transgressions will be the first time that you address it. You aren't alone though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

long time guy wrote:
Missiles were pointed at the U.S. as a reaction of the U.S. pointing there missiles at the Soviets. Because your arguments are so one sided you can never quite seem to be objective. If Soviets exercising their right to defend themselves constitutes a threat them so be it.

I'm going to state this then keep it pushing. It really is quite obvious from.reading these threads that there are MANY that believe in "American exceptionalism". No matter the scenario they will find justification for American actions. When presented with facts they simply ignore them.

At no point in history were the Soviets ever going to initiate an attack against the United States. When I speak of threat that is what I'm referring to.

Again, you claim something that is invalid.

In each case with me in this thread, you allege I claimed the US is never at fault when I never did.

You then backtrack and make my point while alleging that somehow I am the one that is not objective.

And now you claim that you or I would actually know how close the Soviet Union came to sending a strike.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:39 pm 

long time guy wrote:
The next time you address U.S. transgressions will be the first time that you address it. You aren't alone though.
This is wrong. Stop making things up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

Seacrest wrote:
long time guy wrote:

In each case with me in this thread, you allege I claimed the US is never at fault when I never did.

You then backtrack and make my point while alleging that somehow I am the one that is not objective.

And now you claim that you or I would actually know how close the Soviet Union came to sending a strike.

http://www.history.com/news/history-lis ... lose-calls

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:46 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
long time guy wrote:

By all accounts Soviet position throughout the Cold War was always defensive. The Cold War was not started by them also. U.S. was the threat and the Soviets reciprocated if anything. Even during the aforementioned missile crisis a defensive posture was taken. When you fail to acknowledge any of this it renders you biased. I never stated that they weren't "A Threat. I stated that it was never the threat that it was made to be. check the rhetoric from that era. Listen to the speeches. Hell read the biographies of McCarthy and Hoover.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:47 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

When have you ever addressed them or come out against them? If I'm wrong I will be able to live with myself. Trust me I will.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:49 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

When have you ever addressed them or come out against them? If I'm wrong I will be able to live with myself. Trust me I will.
Well, I don't really feel the need to share my "America sucks resume" but I've said for years that the Iraq War was wrong and GW was a terrible President because of it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:49 pm 
Site Admin

I can read all the biographies ever printed and still feel that people pointing nuclear weapons at me are a threat. to me.

Reading history and counting the bodies pushed into mass graves by Communists is just an added point.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:50 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
I can read all the biographies ever printed and still feel that people pointing nuclear weapons at me are a threat. to me.

Reading history and counting the bodies pushed into mass graves by Communists is just an added point.
Yeah, ltg seems to care greatly about Palestinians but has no care in the world about my dead relatives from the Communists.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:53 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Yeah, ltg seems to care greatly about Palestinians but has no care in the world about my dead relatives from the Communists.

I'm neither a Communist sympathizer nor American apologist.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
long time guy wrote:

Have you ever heard of the Able Archer crisis?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:03 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

You are certainly apologizing a lot for the Russians today.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
long time guy wrote:

By all accounts Soviet position throughout the Cold War was always defensive. The Cold War was not started by them also. U.S. was the threat and the Soviets reciprocated if anything. Even during the aforementioned missile crisis a defensive posture was taken. When you fail to acknowledge any of this it renders you biased. I never stated that they weren't "A Threat. I stated that it was never the threat that it was made to be. check the rhetoric from that era. Listen to the speeches. Hell read the biographies of McCarthy and Hoover.

This is revisionist bullshit. The Cold War was started when the Soviets withdrew a pledge to allow Democratic elections in Poland postwar and turned all of Eastern Europe into either satellite states or annexed them into the Soviet Union.

The people of Eastern Europe were conquered first by the Nazis and then found themselves once again conquered by the Soviets. They did not become free people until 1989-1991.

Also as far as missiles are concerned, the Soviets had the first ICBM so technically they pointed missiles at the US first.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
It's unassailable fact that communism is a nastier, deadlier and generally just more contemptuous ideology than even fascism. Seriously, first you defend Islam and now the Soviets? Lmao, are you sure you're not a college lesbian living in a dorm room somewhere?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:09 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

You are certainly apologizing a lot for the Russians today.

Anything that doesn't promote American propaganda will always be viewed as a defense of something. Stalin was a threat to his own people and nothing more. I'm lumping in Eastern Europe. He wasn't much of a threat to the U.S. We started wars against communist countries in far away lands. They didn't. He was concerned about controlling satellites. We declared it a "Cold War" along with Churchill. Without the evil Stalin we don't win WWII either. He was a wretched evil man but it still doesn't make him a threat to the U.S.

Can you please enlighten the board on which U.S. actions you have ever come out against?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:11 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

This was what I was trying to say with the telling people what they think thing

Cant you just debate the topic without trying to discredit the person you're arguing with? In fact I KNOW that you can.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:11 pm 

America wrote:
It's unassailable fact that communism is a nastier, deadlier and generally just more contemptuous ideology than even fascism. Seriously, first you defend Islam and now the Soviets? Lmao, are you sure you're not a college lesbian living in a dorm room somewhere?

It's not a question as to whether it's a vile ideology.

Another of the misrepresenters steps in to add little or nothing. Where you been champ? By the time this is done all of the board elites will have spoken.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:13 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

This was what I was trying to say with the telling people what they think thing

Cant you just debate the topic without trying to discredit the person you're arguing with? In fact I KNOW that you can.

RPB with all due respect you would have much more credibility if you for once ever called them out for trying to tell me what I think. I'm well into double digits in this thread alone. Not once have you addressed any of it either.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:14 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Anything that doesn't promote American propaganda will always be viewed as a defense of something. Stalin was a threat to his own people and nothing more. I'm lumping in Eastern Europe. He wasn't much of a threat to the U.S. We started wars against communist countries in far away lands. They didn't. He was concerned about controlling satellites. We declared it a "Cold War" along with Churchill. Without the evil Stalin we don't win WWII either. He was a wretched evil man but it still doesn't make him a threat to the U.S.
Blaming us for the Cold War like we were the bad guy is a defense of Russia. You are correct.
long time guy wrote:
Can you please enlighten the board on which U.S. actions you have ever come out against?
I'm not going to share my "America is bad resume" but we were wrong to invade Iraq the second time.

You really think I'm some blind nationalist homer?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
long time guy wrote:

The US could've won the war alone. Without America feeding and supplying the Red Army for years they get rolled over. All the Allies needed were a bunch of warn bodies they could manufacture weapons for, if not the USSR it would've been the Raj or somebody else. Maybe even the Chinese. Perhaps the Us alone would have enough manpower after a few years of mobilization.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:17 pm 

America wrote:
long time guy wrote:

The US could've won the war alone. Without America feeding and supplying the Red Army for years they get rolled over. All the Allies needed were a bunch of warn bodies they could manufacture weapons for, if not the USSR it would've been the Raj or somebody else. Maybe even the Chinese. Perhaps the Us alone would have enough manpower after a few years of mobilization.

They wanted no part of Hitler. Thank God for that also. Neither did Stalin but Hitler forced his hands on that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:18 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Blaming us for the Cold War like we were the bad guy is a defense of Russia. You are correct.
long time guy wrote:
I'm not going to share my "America is bad resume" but we were wrong to invade Iraq the second time.

You really think I'm some blind nationalist homer?

Not as bad as some but I just don't recall you being critical about anything foreign policy related.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 496 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next