It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: End of Insurance?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:27 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Here's my unconventional take. I've always thought there should be a cap on what someone's car is insured for in an accident...let's say $50,000. You want to drive a $150k Porsche? Fine, but if someone hits you, they (or their insurance company) are only on the hook for up to $50k. The value of a car you hit in an accident is random, yet the resulting damage can vary drastically and is essentially luck. You are causing harm to society by forcing others (or their insurance) to pay through the nose for fixing your expensive jewelry.
The real victim is the person who hits another car and has to pay for that car to be fixed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:48 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Here's my unconventional take. I've always thought there should be a cap on what someone's car is insured for in an accident...let's say $50,000. You want to drive a $150k Porsche? Fine, but if someone hits you, they (or their insurance company) are only on the hook for up to $50k. The value of a car you hit in an accident is random, yet the resulting damage can vary drastically and is essentially luck. You are causing harm to society by forcing others (or their insurance) to pay through the nose for fixing your expensive jewelry.

The insurance company is the one that takes that risk. And then they raise everyone's rates to pay for it. They're crooks. So yea I guess if there's caps it would help.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:52 am 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
Its kind of crazy though. I don't feel people talk about it regularly, but any new car you buy now means you are tied to the manufacturing dealer(s). That means every time you park your car in their service bay, its another opportunity for them to sell you on upgrades so that they can buy your used car for cheap and resell it at a higher price. And I have to assume that with some crazy number of computer chips in the car, the lifespan of a vehicle has to be less than 10 years? So car manufacturers are going to be raking in the dough over the next 5-10 years because they will have killed off the secondary market and can continue to jack up prices on the vehicles OR jack up prices on the service. Either way they are profiting.

When my daughter was buying her brand new car (a first for anyone in my family since 1971), she asked me to sit in with her at the dealership. The salesperson was great showing us the vehicle and demonstrating all the features. Then we moved to the high-pressure finance representative. The line she used that stuck with me was " There are 3 miles of wires and 13 computers on this car. Subaru does not manufacture any of them, and they only trust them enough to guarantee them for 36 months. If you plan to keep this car more than 36 months, you MUST consider protecting yourself with an extended warranty coving these items."

I'm sure it is a successful pitch to most buyers, but not us. We shall see how smart a move that was down the road. I know there are a few mechanics left who can diagnose complicated issues with newer vehicles, I enjoy watching them do so on YouTube. I hope we don't need one of them,

It's also why a small-time farmer like me never even considers equipment built this century.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:15 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
K Effective wrote:
Its kind of crazy though. I don't feel people talk about it regularly, but any new car you buy now means you are tied to the manufacturing dealer(s). That means every time you park your car in their service bay, its another opportunity for them to sell you on upgrades so that they can buy your used car for cheap and resell it at a higher price. And I have to assume that with some crazy number of computer chips in the car, the lifespan of a vehicle has to be less than 10 years? So car manufacturers are going to be raking in the dough over the next 5-10 years because they will have killed off the secondary market and can continue to jack up prices on the vehicles OR jack up prices on the service. Either way they are profiting.

When my daughter was buying her brand new car (a first for anyone in my family since 1971), she asked me to sit in with her at the dealership. The salesperson was great showing us the vehicle and demonstrating all the features. Then we moved to the high-pressure finance representative. The line she used that stuck with me was " There are 3 miles of wires and 13 computers on this car. Subaru does not manufacture any of them, and they only trust them enough to guarantee them for 36 months. If you plan to keep this car more than 36 months, you MUST consider protecting yourself with an extended warranty coving these items."

I'm sure it is a successful pitch to most buyers, but not us. We shall see how smart a move that was down the road. I know there are a few mechanics left who can diagnose complicated issues with newer vehicles, I enjoy watching them do so on YouTube. I hope we don't need one of them,

It's also why a small-time farmer like me never even considers equipment built this century.

Well the proper response is "well hell if Subaru doesn't trust them, I guess I shouldn't buy it." and get up and walk over to your sales guy and tell them that the finance manager says that Subaru doesn't trust their products, so good luck with those commissions.

They didn't try as hard of a sell of the extended warranty at the dealer where I got my Forrester. I didn't buy the warranty either.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:27 am 

Yeah, it made it a bit uncomfortable, with the finance person bringing product quality into question. She knew what vehicle she wanted and was willing to take the risk without the warrantee.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:31 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
did you get the undercoating? Yano you need undercoating if you're gonna drive on Illinois roads!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:36 am 

We could barely spring for the keys!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:27 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Brick wrote:
This is mostly about health insurance but it probably should be for any type of insurance.

Create a public option that isn't subsidized by tax dollars outside of the standard ways we subsidize poor people anyways. Let the private companies provide a better service than the public health/car/home/pet insurance industry.

Most states have a public option called a FAIR plan. Florida’s Citizen’s is one of the biggest in that state. In addition many states have either an assigned risk pool or take all comers rules for high risk folks. Further, every state has a guarantee fund with assessment powers against all admitted insurers in each state.

The problem with all public plans- like the Federal Flood Insurance and Citizens is they underprice risk for political purposes, and those costs are borne by the taxpayers.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:56 am 

Top 3 states for Auto Insurance costs:

Min cost - Ave for full coverage - Min liability (000's)
-----------------------------------------
$1371 - $3139 - 25/50/10 (New York)
$1128 - $3183 - 10/20/10 (Florida)
$1104 - $2691 - 50/100/10 (Michigan)
$552 - $1806 - 25/50/20 (Illinois)

Michigan's long had insanely high auto premiums, mostly due to lifetime medical if you get into a covered accident. I thought Governor Gretchen had changed it a few years ago. I dunno. I don't pay much regardless, for some reason. I think now if you have like good Blue Cross coverage or something you can maybe waive medical in Michigan? If you're a long-term customer with the same insurer and have multiple vehicles without any accident or moving violation history, it's not that bad in Michigan. I never even bothered to change my vehicle registrations or DL or anything like that from Michigan to Illinois the decade or so I lived in Chicago. So it couldn't have been that much different.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:59 am 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
K Effective wrote:

Well the proper response is "well hell if Subaru doesn't trust them, I guess I shouldn't buy it." and get up and walk over to your sales guy and tell them that the finance manager says that Subaru doesn't trust their products, so good luck with those commissions.

They didn't try as hard of a sell of the extended warranty at the dealer where I got my Forrester. I didn't buy the warranty either.

Chevy does the same thing. You get to their finance person and they tell you that any new car you buy from any manufacturer right now is going to inevitably have an issue with computers/chips/wiring in the first 2 years. If you aren't buying an extended warranty, you can expect to pay something like 10%-25% of the price of the vehicle in labor and parts for repairs the first 5 years. I have a 2019 Equinox and they were 100% right. I've had about four or five different sensors that have had issues, from the "ice on the road" sensor in the middle of summer to the "wiper fluid is low" warning coming up non-stop when driving and the "lift gate switch is turned off" when driving even though its turned on. Everything was under warranty and I don't want to know how much it would have cost to get each one fixed as they came up.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:05 am 

Chevy does the same thing. .....I have a 2019 Equinox and they were 100% right. I've had about four or five different sensors that have had issues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:11 am 

denisdman wrote:
Brick wrote:
This is mostly about health insurance but it probably should be for any type of insurance.

Create a public option that isn't subsidized by tax dollars outside of the standard ways we subsidize poor people anyways. Let the private companies provide a better service than the public health/car/home/pet insurance industry.

Most states have a public option called a FAIR plan. Florida’s Citizen’s is one of the biggest in that state. In addition many states have either an assigned risk pool or take all comers rules for high risk folks. Further, every state has a guarantee fund with assessment powers against all admitted insurers in each state.

The problem with all public plans- like the Federal Flood Insurance and Citizens is they underprice risk for political purposes, and those costs are borne by the taxpayers.

That's why it has to be built in at the start that they can't be funded by tax dollars outside of the standard subsidies for low income people.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:19 am 

K Effective wrote:

Chevy does the same thing. You get to their finance person and they tell you that any new car you buy from any manufacturer right now is going to inevitably have an issue with computers/chips/wiring in the first 2 years. If you aren't buying an extended warranty, you can expect to pay something like 10%-25% of the price of the vehicle in labor and parts for repairs the first 5 years. I have a 2019 Equinox and they were 100% right. I've had about four or five different sensors that have had issues, from the "ice on the road" sensor in the middle of summer to the "wiper fluid is low" warning coming up non-stop when driving and the "lift gate switch is turned off" when driving even though its turned on. Everything was under warranty and I don't want to know how much it would have cost to get each one fixed as they came up.

Just tell them you will never buy an extended warranty because they are never a good deal for the consumer. Any argument the finance person is making is already known by them and factored in plus their profit margin.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:30 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Brick wrote:
K Effective wrote:

Just tell them you will never buy an extended warranty because they are never a good deal for the consumer. Any argument the finance person is making is already known by them and factored in plus their profit margin.

It's a lottery ticket with the odds stacked against you. I don't know what the odds are though. But I did enjoy Subaru trashing themselves.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:33 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Brick wrote:
This. A million times this.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:39 am 

Nardi wrote:
It's a lottery ticket with the odds stacked against you. I don't know what the odds are though. But I did enjoy Subaru trashing themselves.
The thing about warranties is that it's not like they ever have to replace the whole car. Your best case scenario is you get $5,000 worth of repairs for $3,000 up front. The worst case scenario is you get $0 worth of repairs for $3,000 up front. Just keep your $3,000 and make sure you have at least $2,000 in your bank account in case you bought a car that sucks and has major failures during the first 100,000 miles and you don't have to deal with the hassle of begging the insurance company to cover it based on the 20 page document on what it covers and what it doesn't cover.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:53 am 

K Effective wrote:

It's such a bs sales pitch. No car has ever been made by one maker. It's all parts from hundreds of companies. It's always been that way. You either trust what you're selling or you don't, and she admitted she doesn't. Bye. Next. Fuck lesbian cars anyway

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Nardi wrote:
Brick wrote:
K Effective wrote:

Aren't Suburu's mostly for lesbians?

So far I've come out on the positive end for my warranty because repair costs already are well above $3,000, but I totally get it. If it wasn't for all the tech in the new SUVs, I wouldn't have purchased it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:22 pm 

I've never done it but I see the utility paying upfront for the comfort of the mind. It seems more for women. So I still like to know the odds and the breakdown of who's buying the lottery ticket.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I did it the one time I bought used, a 1999 Ford Explorer V8 which had come off of lease, and CarMax was selling it. But I also knew that I was only going to own that vehicle four years and a 48k extended warranty was about what I would drive as I was flying for work a lot at that point. So it was cost certainty for me.

I did make a profit on it because it had a problem with the fan belt assembly and would loosen up and toss a belt for no good reason. Had to get that fixed twice. I sold it two days after the warranty ran out and bought a new SUV.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:54 pm 

As long as you buy a mid to late generation of a vehicle... Don't buy the first year they make a new platform. Wait until they work out the firmware bugs in all the controllers. After 2 or 3 years on a platform, the cars are usually rugged electrically speaking. Really, the electronics should last far longer than anything else in the car. I think a lot of "computer" issues are actually mechanical that dealers replace the whole assembly for to get more money out of the warranty claim.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Extended warranties are essentially about whether you can afford a repair, not if it’s a good bet. After all, they wouldn’t be offering them if covered repairs were likely to be more than the premium.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:19 pm 

Seems like a bet to me. No different than an over/under.

I dunno, who cares. I'm never paying 3k for what ifs unless the government or a doctor tells me I have to. And they do.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:20 pm 

i buy warranties on refurb/used stuff. my tv has a 3 year warranty that i paid $150 for. it was $1300 open box from best buy.

brand new? no. my laptop was $1350 brand new and they offered full accidental warranty for like $300. tempting, but it sits on a desk and my last flagship computer lasted 4 years without a single issue, and i bought that thing used. and if i bought a mid or low grade pos, i wouldnt care about a warranty there either. but i dont really buy low grade stuff anymore. not worth it. buy good stuff and hold onto it for awhile. especially when you can buy flagship models of anything now 1 or 2 years old and get at least a 30% discount, and performance wise its always about the same.

my next big purchase is a car. i want electric. but i really don't want current lithium tech. so whenever someone comes out with a solid state battery, ill wait until the 2nd gen, and then wait another year to buy one used. so im probably looking at another car in about 4 or 5 years sadly. my current vehicle has 200k miles on it... i can make it go 4 years but it will be a bit depressing by the time its 300k miles.

Quote:
Global automobile giant Toyota has announced specifications for a new solid-state battery which has a range of 745 miles (nearly 1200km) and charges in just 10 minutes.

https://itwire.com/science-news/automot ... nutes.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:33 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
i buy warranties on refurb/used stuff. my tv has a 3 year warranty that i paid $150 for. it was $1300 open box from best buy.

brand new? no. my laptop was $1350 brand new and they offered full accidental warranty for like $300. tempting, but it sits on a desk and my last flagship computer lasted 4 years without a single issue, and i bought that thing used. and if i bought a mid or low grade pos, i wouldnt care about a warranty there either. but i dont really buy low grade stuff anymore. not worth it. buy good stuff and hold onto it for awhile. especially when you can buy flagship models of anything now 1 or 2 years old and get at least a 30% discount, and performance wise its always about the same.

my next big purchase is a car. i want electric. but i really don't want current lithium tech. so whenever someone comes out with a solid state battery, ill wait until the 2nd gen, and then wait another year to buy one used. so im probably looking at another car in about 4 or 5 years sadly. my current vehicle has 200k miles on it... i can make it go 4 years but it will be a bit depressing by the time its 300k miles.

Quote:
Global automobile giant Toyota has announced specifications for a new solid-state battery which has a range of 745 miles (nearly 1200km) and charges in just 10 minutes.

Toyota says 2027 for fully solid state batteries.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Nardi wrote:
I've never done it but I see the utility paying upfront for the comfort of the mind. It seems more for women. So I still like to know the odds and the breakdown of who's buying the lottery ticket.

If you believe paying for comfort of mind is actually something of value then go for it. Just realize that’s it’s a bad decision from a financial standpoint. Always.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:49 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Nardi wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:

Quote:

Toyota says 2027 for fully solid state batteries.

Nio is doing it now. Too bad there's so much uncertainty around their stock.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

"I don’t care about you; I just want your vote.”
Trump '24

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:09 pm 

sadly, i think the industry will play solid state batteries like they did SSD drives or flat screen TV's. they will be in the market 10 years or so before prices start dropping massively... so any real electric car with solid state batteries will cost 100k and the rest of us will be stuck with the current crap for awhile. Eventually though, 700+ miles on a charge, no risk of fire, and charge in 10 minutes... yea, that will kill ice engines. Who would even want a gas engine car at that point? It will change what we use our cars for... why go to a campground when your car provides all the electricity for a whole weekend? just drive into the middle of the woods and get murdered in luxury. when the power goes out at your house, your car will power the house. when you go to the gas station, your wife wont have the excuse of 'it makes my hands smell' when you tell her to fill it while you go buy alcohol. when you start your car in the winter, it wont not start. when you take it in for repairs, it will never be for anything but tires and suspension. even your brakes will last the life of the car because the electric motor slows you down on decel all the time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:32 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
I battle the evil insurance companies every day all day long. I guess I'm the hero this board needs. Fuck Denni$ and his cronies!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein