It is currently Sat Jun 08, 2024 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:53 am 

denisdman wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
denisdman wrote:
No joke, they're number one.

http://www.doingbusiness.org/rankings

I'm sorry but I'm always skeptical of World Bank numbers and more importantly themotives behind them.

I think the term often bandied about is that they're more often than not economic hit men.

Plus their conclusions behind the ease of transferring property seem sketchy, and heavily weighted against novel concepts like zoning laws and construction permits, if not workplace safety.

Fair point. But our tax system (only global tax system and high marginal rates) are one area where we are clearly uncompetitive. The inversion trend is hard evidence of that. Our education system is very low in the Pisa rankings vs many of our first world competitors. Longer term, these problems will offset all the natural advantages that we have.

If you guys don't care, well then fine with me. And folks wonder why we have gridlock.

I wish you hadn't posted that, most care much more than fiscal conservatives care to admit. But it's an easy exit point.

Frankly when the economic ramifications of our insanely bloated military budgets are routinely ignored by most conservatives at the altar of long discredited supply side policy, THAT imo, causes economic gridlock.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:58 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
we should just lay waste to New Zealand and Singapore. Would move us up in the rankings.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:00 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
we should just lay waste to New Zealand and Singapore. Would move us up in the rankings.

And the communist leaders will take care of Hong Kong & South Korea fairly soon, I'd guess.

Winning!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:02 am 

denisdman wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
denisdman wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
denisdman wrote:
My only concern is how do we make the U.S. the best place to do business.

Interesting.

What is the best country to do business in currently?

What is your issue with Kirkwood posting the quote about investment though?

New Zealand.

They are 38th on the happiness index (yes, that exists)

I just wonder if your theory is working out. Is New Zealand a lot better off than they would be with less business friendly conditions?

I mean, obviously it's a good thing, I just wonder if that is the key to a prosperous country or not

RPB, I approach these things like I approach my day to day business dealings. I "bank" things that we do well and work to improve on things we don't. And many times you benchmark your weaknesses against the best in class.

We are sixth in the global competitiveness rankings. We are doing many things well, and I wouldn't want to live or be in another country's situation. But that doesn't mean I want us to rest on that. We have an emerging China to contend with. We have long term financial structural issues, pension funding, Medicare, large debt to GDP, etc. We score poorly on the gini coefficient. And our primary education system continues to fall behind. On current trends, we won't be sixth in the decades to come.

That's good info but unless im misunderstaning you, you're saying if we dont continue to get better, we'll fall behind in global competitiveness.

My question is how much global competitiveness is tied to a "happy" country.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:02 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Hatchetman wrote:
New Zealand. What's the population of New Zealand? :lol:

About 5,000,000.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:06 am 

denis should have picked a European country to answer that question as the common theme of "Why not be like Europe where everything is great?" by the Democrats would end the discussion.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:09 am 

dman's answer is perfectly fine. I didn't ask what the best big country to do business is, I just flat out said country.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:24 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
dman's answer is perfectly fine. I didn't ask what the best big country to do business is, I just flat out said country.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Regular Reader wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
denisdman wrote:

I'm sorry but I'm always skeptical of World Bank numbers and more importantly themotives behind them.

I think the term often bandied about is that they're more often than not economic hit men.

Plus their conclusions behind the ease of transferring property seem sketchy, and heavily weighted against novel concepts like zoning laws and construction permits, if not workplace safety.

Fair point. But our tax system (only global tax system and high marginal rates) are one area where we are clearly uncompetitive. The inversion trend is hard evidence of that. Our education system is very low in the Pisa rankings vs many of our first world competitors. Longer term, these problems will offset all the natural advantages that we have.

If you guys don't care, well then fine with me. And folks wonder why we have gridlock.

I wish you hadn't posted that, most care much more than fiscal conservatives care to admit. But it's an easy exit point.

Frankly when the economic ramifications of our insanely bloated military budgets are routinely ignored by most conservatives at the altar of long discredited supply side policy, THAT imo, causes economic gridlock.

It's a point of continued frustration as the reason why I posted that. Time after time, I provide explanations and solutions only to have them so glibly discounted. The exact same thing happened in the education discussion where people wouldn't even entertain the Finland model.

Our country collectively is stuck in gridlock because the populace won't entertain pragmatic ideas. The U.S. already does everything best, and the world should just conform to our system. Hell, we can't even implement the metric system!

Now to help KW's argument, there is a nice opinion piece in today's WSJ on A17 by Galston that would lend more evidence to the piece he posted earlier. It's long, so I won't post it, but it is titled, "The Ford exec Who Took the Long View".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:37 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
That's good info but unless im misunderstaning you, you're saying if we dont continue to get better, we'll fall behind in global competitiveness.

My question is how much global competitiveness is tied to a "happy" country.

I can't answer that. I am taking the tax cut discussion down the purely economic route. As I believe BR and at times CH have outlined, my view of the world is from the perspective of a finance/accounting person. I don't have some humanistic philosophical approach to things. My mind does not work that way nor does my experience and insights provide any value in those areas.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:48 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
denisdman wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
denisdman wrote:

It's a point of continued frustration as the reason why I posted that. Time after time, I provide explanations and solutions only to have them so glibly discounted. The exact same thing happened in the education discussion where people wouldn't even entertain the Finland model.

Our country collectively is stuck in gridlock because the populace won't entertain pragmatic ideas. The U.S. already does everything best, and the world should just conform to our system. Hell, we can't even implement the metric system!

Now to help KW's argument, there is a nice opinion piece in today's WSJ on A17 by Galston that would lend more evidence to the piece he posted earlier. It's long, so I won't post it, but it is titled, "The Ford exec Who Took the Long View".

I appreciate your posts. I do sometimes wonder why you bother though given some of the response you mentioned.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:05 pm 

Kinda sounds like normal message board stuff, doesn't it?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:13 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

Sure. But I think we can all see the differences between the goofy threads and when we are talking serious. If you care about your daughter and her future (which you do), then things like this tax plan will have an impact on her future. I care about that for all Americans. I am not here to take money out of your pocket or deprive a laborer of a good wage. I want all of us to have higher wages and more jobs, and I truly believe a lower corporate tax rate is part of that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:33 pm 

denisdman wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Sure. But I think we can all see the differences between the goofy threads and when we are talking serious. If you care about your daughter and her future (which you do), then things like this tax plan will have an impact on her future. I care about that for all Americans. I am not here to take money out of your pocket or deprive a laborer of a good wage. I want all of us to have higher wages and more jobs, and I truly believe a lower corporate tax rate is part of that.

The difference is that you genuinely believe that, while most of it's political & think tank proponents don't.
As evidenced by your logical support outlined here repeatedly (but not on their part imo. See Arthur Laffer in 1981 and now).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:39 pm 

We're all going to be rich!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:41 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Lotto tix for everyone???

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:45 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Lotto tix for everyone???

Bernie 2020!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
It shouldn’t just be reduced. It should be eliminated.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:40 pm 

Looks like the bill is getting bogged down in the Senate over pass through income treatment. These morons in Congress really are something. Just get rid of pass through treatment. It only made sense in a world with a high C corp rate and a high dividend rate. If you lower the C corp rate to 20% and make all dividends taxable at the current long term rates, then there is no issue. All these MLP’s, REIT’s and S corps don’t make any sense in a low corporate rate world.

The code is so messed up and riddled with exceptions that they can’t unwind the loopholes they created. Similar crap is happening on the individual side.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
All I want is to pay the least amount possible for the most possible services.

Is that too much to ask?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:50 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtgvWZuyYKc

<º)))><

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:54 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Terry's Peeps wrote:

Is that too much to ask?

Depends if you have been placed in the rich line or the poor line. If you are in the dead line you are really screwed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
pittmike wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

Is that too much to ask?

Depends if you have been placed in the rich line or the poor line. If you are in the dead line you are really screwed.

Nuts.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:04 am 

I caught that "wonderful" Wisconsin Senator, Ron Johnson on CNBC this morning. I am not sure guys like this understand pass through entities. We all get that private companies in this country produce a lot of jobs. Well, so do public companies. That is not the issue.

Why the hell should a corporation get to avoid entity level income tax, and then when that income is passed through to its owners, they get to then pay a lower income tax rate than wage earners? It makes absolutely no sense.

These Congressman are ripe with inconsistencies and poor logic in their advocacy of certain tax provisions. If you want to make tax filings simpler, you wouldn't create a new tax rate for pass throughs. And then they are exempting some businesses like law firms and leaving current law in place.

Give me 30 minutes on the Senate floor to rip both parties for their crappy logic. "We now recognize the dishonorable poster from CFMB, denisdman, CPA (Libertarian-IL)"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:08 am 

denisdman wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

But not everyone agrees with you that this will be best. I dont think Kirkwood is just out to fuck with denis. I think he believes the tax cut will fuck the middle class.

He may be wrong, but I believe his opinion is valid.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:10 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Alex Emmons‏Verified account
@AlexEmmons
Nov 14
More Alex Emmons Retweeted The Associated Press
This is an $80 billion increase in US military spending. That's enough to make public college free and still have billions leftover. https://theintercept.com/2017/09/18/the ... lege-free/

Last edited by rogers park bryan on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:11 am 

leashyourkids wrote:

What shouldnt be reduced?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:16 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
But not everyone agrees with you that this will be best. I dont think Kirkwood is just out to fuck with denis. I think he believes the tax cut will fuck the middle class.

He may be wrong, but I believe his opinion is valid.

Of course he's not. We are on incredibly good terms and have met several times.

The individual portion of this tax cut is not doing much. It is something on the order of $300B over $10 years. It is a modest simplification of the current system. In that way, it will have almost zero impact on your direct tax bill. Let's not kid ourselves, the bill is all about corporate tax reform. And in that way, it is a revolutionary change from the current system. It brings about globally competitive rates. But more importantly, it does away with our unique global taxation system.

Now if you equate corporate tax cuts with screwing the middle class, then I can't help you. I know the left has MANY that feel that way. I look at it as making the United States a more competitive place to invest capital and strengthening our companies against their global peers.

And finally, I can't tell you if it will make people happier. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:17 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

What shouldnt be reduced?

I assume he meant the corporate tax rate. Or even the income tax as a whole. It is an expensive way to collect taxes. Unfortunately the better system of consumption taxes is just too regressive to ever implement even with make whole provisions for lower income people.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:22 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Alex Emmons‏Verified account
@AlexEmmons
Nov 14
More Alex Emmons Retweeted The Associated Press
This is an $80 billion increase in US military spending. That's enough to make public college free and still have billions leftover. https://theintercept.com/2017/09/18/the ... lege-free/

military = jobs program

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 32  Next