It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 11:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 50  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
denisdman wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
There will be a call to federalize law enforcement.

Been tried in Mexico, and that ain't working well either. You end up having the army doing civil law enforcement. They can't even nationalize education. No way the locals let the Feds handle law enforcement.

I don't think it's a good idea.

But there will be calls for it.

Where's Scorehead?

I know, but I'm not telling.

He is TB Diddler at biggie's board.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:45 pm 

Chus wrote:

And he is A Welching Bitch at this message board.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Baby McNown wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Baby McNown wrote:
Where's that fucktwit PittMike to defend this guys right to carry and be beyond pissed about this shooting?

Why the anger man? Isn't that the entire reason our society has crap like this happen?

No the reason we have crap like this happen is because of people like the NRA and Mike who think everybody should be packing, yet go silent when somebody who was legally packing and told the cop he was legally packing (as he should have) and is now dead for a busted tail light. Where is their outrage and full throated defense of this poor guy.
Huh?

Where does a person even being to unpack the exceptional barrage of stupidity in just two sentences like that?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Baby, from what I can tell by videos, it is clearly a cop overreaction. Now there may be other circumstances that will come out to change my mind. But that is my gut reaction.

I am a huge supporter of gun rights because it's written into our Constitution. Regardless of whether the victim was legally packing or not, it doesn't mean he should be shot dead by the police. Sure, it's worse if the guy was completely legal. But as we've said before (most notably argued by Regular Reader) even illegal activity by a victim does not deserve disproportionate force by the police.

I am not sure why you are worried about PM's reaction. His silence on an issue does not mean consent to the police activity. And it would be a perfectly fair response by someone here to say, "wait and see" before condemning the cops.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:02 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
For the most part I think the laws we have are pretty good.

The enforcement is generally the biggest problem.

Cops are asked to act as mini judges several times per day. One error in judgment negates hundreds of correct judgments.

I don't think that's fair. We aren't complaining about a copy detaining the wrong guy or making some minor error. MANY people are upset with excessive force and abuse of all citizens and primarily minorities. MANY people are upset with the use of deadly force in instances where it doesn't appear force was necessary. MANY people are upset with the appearance that ALL cops are above the law.

The use of deadly force is a perfect example of my statement.

Excessive force is a problem. It has been since the first cop was given responsibility to enforce the first law. I don't think a police officer wakes up in the morning thinking he will kill someone today. I do think some wake up in the morning ready to use a baton.

I think the overwhelming majority of cops are good people and try to do a good job. I don't believe they wake up thinking they're going to kill someone either. That's true of even the "bad" ones. I believe that their opinions of the people in the communities they cover plays a role.

Telling a person to respect the police no matter what so they won't get abused or killed is similar to telling a woman to dress appropriately if she doesn't want to get raped. It's absurd. It isn't unreasonable to expect a cop to act professionally.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Douchebag wrote:
Chus wrote:

He is up to his usual tricks over there, complaining about 5 or 6 miserable pricks (unnamed of course, like Original Kid Denis did), under the cover of anonymity. He really is a scumbag. He created a mult (Terry's Guy) specifically to go after Irish Boy. When RPB called out Original Kid Scorehead, the mult went silent. Then he welches on the bet with me, and reappears as another mult based on Terry Boers, this time to go after Curious Hair. Now, he is at the other place, with another Boers based mult, calling out people here.

He is an ignorant, bigoted coward, who backs out of deals. No wonder why bigfan likes him so much. Birds of a feather.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:24 pm 

Chus wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Chus wrote:

He is up to his usual tricks over there, complaining about 5 or 6 miserable pricks (unnamed of course, like Original Kid Denis did), under the cover of anonymity. He really is a scumbag. He created a mult (Terry's Guy) specifically to go after Irish Boy. When RPB called out Original Kid Scorehead, the mult went silent. Then he welches on the bet with me, and reappears as another mult based on Terry Boers, this time to go after Curious Hair. Now, he is at the other place, with another Boers based mult, calling out people here.

He is an ignorant, bigoted coward, who backs out of deals. No wonder why bigfan likes him so much. Birds of a feather.

Many agree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:13 pm 
100000 CLUB

The Minnesota governor with some very strong words. I'm really shocked by his statement.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:22 pm 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
For the most part I think the laws we have are pretty good.

The enforcement is generally the biggest problem.

Cops are asked to act as mini judges several times per day. One error in judgment negates hundreds of correct judgments.

I don't think that's fair. We aren't complaining about a copy detaining the wrong guy or making some minor error. MANY people are upset with excessive force and abuse of all citizens and primarily minorities. MANY people are upset with the use of deadly force in instances where it doesn't appear force was necessary. MANY people are upset with the appearance that ALL cops are above the law.

The use of deadly force is a perfect example of my statement.

Excessive force is a problem. It has been since the first cop was given responsibility to enforce the first law. I don't think a police officer wakes up in the morning thinking he will kill someone today. I do think some wake up in the morning ready to use a baton.

I think the overwhelming majority of cops are good people and try to do a good job. I don't believe they wake up thinking they're going to kill someone either. That's true of even the "bad" ones. I believe that their opinions of the people in the communities they cover plays a role.

Telling a person to respect the police no matter what so they won't get abused or killed is similar to telling a woman to dress appropriately if she doesn't want to get raped. It's absurd. It isn't unreasonable to expect a cop to act professionally.

Are you inferring the respect thing from my statement? I didn't say it but thinking about it more...

I don't think your dressing sexy example is analogous. There is no situation in which a rape is acceptable. The cop is there presumably to enforce the ground rules that we have all agreed upon as a society. Respect should be assumed unless it is has been proven unworthy. However, even in situations it has been proven unworthy, respect is the logical method of acting as the civilian and the cop are not equals in the interaction.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:24 pm 

Nas wrote:
The Minnesota governor with some very strong words. I'm really shocked by his statement.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/08/us/philando-castile-falcon-heights-shooting.html?_r=0

Philando Castile Shooting in Minnesota Leads Governor to Seek U.S. Investigation

Minnesota’s governor called on Thursday for a federal investigation into the shooting of a black man by a police officer during a traffic stop near St. Paul, after millions of people watched the bloody, dying man in a grisly video recorded by his girlfriend and streamed live moments after the shooting.

The deadly encounter Wednesday night in the city of Falcon Heights was at least the second shooting this week of a black man by police officers, and followed the killing of a man in Baton Rouge during an attempted arrest. Parts of both encounters were recorded on video.

The graphic video from Minnesota showed Philando Castile, 32, who had been shot several times, slumping against the woman who was recording the scene. As she did so, her 4-year-old daughter sat in the back seat and an officer stood just outside the driver’s side window, still aiming his gun at the mortally wounded man at point-blank range.

The video is all the more shocking for the calm, clear narration of the woman, Diamond Reynolds, who can be heard saying that Mr. Castile had done nothing wrong, and the fact that she streamed it live on Facebook. On the video, Ms. Reynolds gives her account of what happened, saying again and again that Mr. Castile was just reaching for his driver’s license and registration — as the officer had requested — when the officer opened fire.

“Please, officer, don’t tell me that you just did this to him,” she said. “You shot four bullets into him, sir. He was just getting his license and registration, sir.”

Ms. Reynolds’s daughter appears several times in the video. Near the end of the 10-minute clip, as the two are sitting in the back of a police car and Ms. Reynolds becomes increasingly distraught, the girl comforts her mother. “It’s O.K., Mommy,” she says. “It’s O.K. I’m right here with you.”

President Obama posted a message on Facebook on Thursday, saying that “all Americans should be deeply troubled” by the Baton Rouge and Falcon Heights shootings. “We’ve seen such tragedies far too many times, and our hearts go out to the families and communities who’ve suffered such a painful loss,” he said.

“What’s clear is that these fatal shootings are not isolated incidents,” Mr. Obama said. “They are symptomatic of the broader challenges within our criminal justice system, the racial disparities that appear across the system year after year, and the resulting lack of trust that exists between law enforcement and too many of the communities they serve.”

Hillary Clinton wrote on Twitter: “America woke up to yet another tragedy of a life cut down too soon. Black Lives Matter.”

As the video circulated widely on social media, hundreds of protesters gathered outside the governor’s mansion in St. Paul during the night and Thursday morning, demanding accountability for the officers involved. Some voiced anger that Gov. Mark Dayton did not respond faster; rumors circulated on social media that he had been evacuated from the mansion during the night, but the governor’s office said that was not the case.

Thirteen hours after the shooting, Mr. Dayton, a Democrat, released his first statement on the incident, saying that he had spoken with a White House official to request a Justice Department investigation. Representative Betty McCollum, a Minnesota Democrat, had called for the Justice Department to investigate earlier Thursday. The state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension is already investigating.

After releasing his statement, Mr. Dayton emerged from the mansion and talked with protesters. “We’re shocked and horrified by what occurred last night,” he said. “A horrible, horrible tragedy, a senseless tragedy.

The Justice Department released an ambiguous response to the governor’s call for a federal investigation, saying that it “will continue to monitor the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension investigation into the death of Philando Castile, and will independently assess what further action may be warranted.”

The video of the shooting, which occurred around 9 p.m., passed rapidly among Twitter, Facebook and YouTube users, becoming significant news online before traditional outlets — even those in the Minneapolis area — caught up. The terms #FalconHeightsShooting and #PhilandoCastile were trending on Twitter as news of the encounter spread.

Speaking to reporters on Thursday morning, Ms. Reynolds said that Mr. Castile, a cafeteria supervisor for the St. Paul Public Schools, had just come from having his hair done for his birthday when they were pulled over on Larpenteur Avenue, a major east-west street.

Falcon Heights is a small, predominantly white and middle-class city of about 5,500 residents, bordering St. Paul on the northwest. The two officers who stopped them were from the nearby city of St. Anthony, which provides police services under contract to Falcon Heights, and one officer approached Mr. Castile, who was driving, and said he had a broken taillight, Ms. Reynolds, who is also black, said.

“He tells us to put our hands in the air, we have our hands in the air,” she said. “At the time as our hands is in the air, he asked for license and registration.

“My boyfriend carries all his information in a thick wallet in his right side back pocket. As he’s reaching for his back pocket wallet, he lets the officer know, ‘Officer, I have a firearm on me.’ I began to yell, ‘But he’s licensed to carry.’ After that, he began to take off shots – bah, bah, bah, bah, ‘Don’t move! Don’t move!’ But how can you not move when you’re asking for license and registration? It’s either you want my hands in the air or you want my identification.”

In the video, she says repeatedly that her boyfriend was shot several times while reaching for his license, and that he had told officers before the shooting that he had a gun in the car.

In the background, one of the officers can be heard shouting: “I told him not to reach for it. I told him to get his hands up.”

The video begins with images of Mr. Castile, who appears to be moaning and moving slightly, his left arm and left side bloody. Ms. Reynolds then pans the camera to her face and says matter-of-factly, “They killed my boyfriend.” Looking into the camera, she says that Mr. Castile had told officers that he was carrying a weapon — she says he was licensed to do so — and that he was following instructions to produce his license and registration when he was shot.

Jon Mangseth, interim police chief of St. Anthony, said he could not provide any details about the shooting, but said the officer had been put on administrative leave. He declined to identify the officers involved, but said that the one who fired — whom Ms. Reynolds described as Asian-American — had been with the department for more than five years.

“We haven’t had an officer-involved shooting in 30 years or more,” he told reporters at the shooting scene early Thursday. “It’s shocking. It’s not something that occurs in this area often.”

Family members demanded justice for Mr. Castile during an interview on CNN early Thursday. Mr. Castile’s uncle, Clarence Castile, said police officers who were meant to protect Americans had instead become “our executioners and judges and murderers.”

When he watched the video, he said, “I saw a young man, shot, helpless — shot for no apparent reason. I saw my nephew shot by a man, clinging to his life with no help. It was the most horrific thing I have ever seen in my life.”

Mr. Castile’s mother, Valerie Castile, said she had taught her son to be extremely cautious when encountering members of law enforcement. “If you get stopped by the police, comply,” Ms. Castile said. “Comply, comply, comply.”

“My son was a law-abiding citizen and he did nothing wrong,” she said. “He’s no thug.”

She added, “I think he was just black in the wrong place.”

Mr. Castile had worked in the Nutrition Services Department of the St. Paul Public Schools since 2002, and became a supervisor two years ago, the district said in a statement. In recent years, he worked at J. J. Hill Montessori Magnet School, which is part of the district.

“Colleagues describe him as a team player who maintained great relationships with staff and students alike,” the district’s statement said. “He had a cheerful disposition and his colleagues enjoyed working with him. He was quick to greet former co-workers with a smile and hug.”

In the Facebook video shot by Ms. Reynolds — who uses the name Lavish Reynolds online — an officer can be heard telling her to keep her hands on the wheel, and she replies: “I will, sir. No worries. I will.”

Moments later, her voice shaking, she says: “Oh, my God, please don’t tell me he’s gone. Please don’t tell me my boyfriend just went like that.”

Then: “Please, Jesus, don’t tell me that he’s gone. Please, Officer, don’t tell me that you just did this to him.” Ms. Reynolds was interviewed by the police and then released.

Mr. Castile was transported to Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis, where he died Wednesday night, Chief Mangseth said. No officers were injured, he said.

The Falcon Heights shooting occurred the same day that the Justice Department opened a civil rights investigation into the fatal shooting by the Baton Rouge police. As in the Minnesota case, the encounter was captured in a searing video that was aired repeatedly on television and social media and reignited contentious issues surrounding police killings of African-Americans.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:28 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
First Prince and now this mess bad year for being black in Minnesota

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:31 pm 

Phil McCracken wrote:
First Prince and now this mess bad year for being black in Minnesota

RIP Andrew Wiggins

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Don Tiny wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/08/us/philando-castile-falcon-heights-shooting.html?_r=0

Philando Castile Shooting in Minnesota Leads Governor to Seek U.S. Investigation

“My boyfriend carries all his information in a thick wallet in his right side back pocket. As he’s reaching for his back pocket wallet, he lets the officer know, ‘Officer, I have a firearm on me.’

I don't think there is a worse possible time than that to tell an officer, or anyone, that you have a gun.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:50 pm 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:

Are you inferring the respect thing from my statement? I didn't say it but thinking about it more...

I don't think your dressing sexy example is analogous. There is no situation in which a rape is acceptable. The cop is there presumably to enforce the ground rules that we have all agreed upon as a society. Respect should be assumed unless it is has been proven unworthy. However, even in situations it has been proven unworthy, respect is the logical method of acting as the civilian and the cop are not equals in the interaction.

Showing a cop respect or even complying with their orders does not prevent some from abusing their power. The belief by some who haven't been profiled or abused is if you do ______ you won't get abused or worse just isn't true. Many people believe that there is a certain way to behave that prevents these things. Just like some people believe there is a certain way to dress to prevent rapes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:51 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

“My boyfriend carries all his information in a thick wallet in his right side back pocket. As he’s reaching for his back pocket wallet, he lets the officer know, ‘Officer, I have a firearm on me.’

I don't think there is a worse possible time than that to tell an officer, or anyone, that you have a gun.

Yeah I see both sides of that one. The victim is trying to be upfront and let the officer know, while the officer is probably hearing it as a threat. It shows the wild disconnect between cops and citizens.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Terry's Peeps wrote:
He's probably enjoying Kirkland hot dogs and vodka courtesy of CHUSE.

He was a big proponent of having the National Guard on every street corner.

They're apparently already in Binny's.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:00 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

Yeah I see both sides of that one. The victim is trying to be upfront and let the officer know, while the officer is probably hearing it as a threat. It shows the wild disconnect between cops and citizens.

Something bad is probably going to happen if you tell anyone who is armed, as you reach behind yourself, that you have a gun. I think the implication there is that you're reaching for said gun.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Nas wrote:

I would not have believed you felt that way. I'm not sure I do.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:07 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:
Something bad is probably going to happen if you tell anyone who is armed, as you reach behind yourself, that you have a gun. I think the implication there is that you're reaching for said gun.

And I wonder how a black person is supposed to get a fair shake from the police? I put my self in that guy's shoes, and you know the victim is nervous as hell. A black guy, in a white city, pulled over by a white officer, and the victim has a gun in his car (legal or not). There is no doubt in my mind the victim was just in full disclosure mode. And again, I get why the cop would misinterpret the victim's actions/intent.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
denisdman wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

And I wonder how a black person is supposed to get a fair shake from the police? I put my self in that guy's shoes, and you know the victim is nervous as hell. A black guy, in a white city, pulled over by a white officer, and the victim has a gun in his car (legal or not). There is no doubt in my mind the victim was just in full disclosure mode. And again, I get why the cop would misinterpret the victim's actions/intent.

There was a viral post by a guy last year about his traffic stop. He informed the officers that he had a gun and he had a conceal/carry permit. The cops in that case appreciated his honesty and asked him to step out of the car so they could disarm him.

EDIT: Here it is

Steven Hildreth, Jr.
Like This Page · October 27, 2015 · Edited ·

So, I'm driving to my office to turn in my weekly paperwork. A headlight is out. I see a Tucson Police Department squad vehicle turn around and follow me. I'm already preparing for the stop.

The lights go on and I pull over. The officer asks me how I'm doing, and then asks if I have any weapons.

"Yes, sir. I'm a concealed carry permit holder and my weapon is located on my right hip. My wallet is in my back-right pocket."

The officer explains for his safety and mine, he needs to disarm me for the stop. I understand, and I unlock the vehicle. I explain that I'm running a 7TS ALS holster but from the angle, the second officer can't unholster it. Lead officer asks me to step out, and I do so slowly. Officer relieves me of my Glock and compliments the X300U I'm running on it. He also sees my military ID and I tell him I'm with the National Guard.

Lead officer points out my registration card is out of date but he knows my registration is up to date. He goes back to run my license. I know he's got me on at least two infractions. I'm thinking of how to pay them.

Officers return with my Glock in an evidence back, locked and cleared. "Because you were cool with us and didn't give us grief, I'm just going to leave it at a verbal warning. Get that headlight fixed as soon as possible."

I smile. "Thank you, sir."

I'm a black man wearing a hoodie and strapped. According to certain social movements, I shouldn't be alive right now because the police are allegedly out to kill minorities.

Maybe...just maybe...that notion is bunk.

Maybe if you treat police officers with respect, they will do the same to you.

Police officers are people, too. By far and large, most are good people and they're not out to get you.

I'd like to thank those two officers and TPD in general for another professional contact.

We talk so much about the bad apples who shouldn't be wearing a badge. I'd like to spread the word about an example of men who earned their badges and exemplify what that badge stands for.

#BlueLivesMatter #AllLivesMatter

[EDIT: In my rush to post, I accidentally omitted that my wallet was in the back-right pocket, near my firearm. This was the primary motivation for temporary disarmament. The post has been modified to reflect that.

Again, I'd like to thank the TPD and their officers for their consistent professionalism, courtesy, and the good work that they do, both in this particular contact and every day.]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:15 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:
Agreed. Cops should shoot anyone on the spot who says they have a legal gun.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:18 pm 

So TP, you've got one nice feel good story from last year, while we have two dead black men in the past few days via police shootings. I'd say the forces of evil are winning.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:20 pm 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Showing a cop respect or even complying with their orders does not prevent some from abusing their power. The belief by some who haven't been profiled or abused is if you do ______ you won't get abused or worse just isn't true. MANY people believe that there is a certain way to behave that prevents these things. Just like some people believe there is a certain way to dress to prevent rapes.

As a person who had excessive forced used upon him by a black police officer, I can agree with your point but I still don't agree with the analogy. Like I said, I think those who use excessive force come to the job with that mindset each day irrespective of who hey will ultimately meet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:25 pm 

denisdman wrote:
So TP, you've got one nice feel good story from last year, while we have two dead black men in the past few days via police shootings. I'd say the forces of evil are winning.

It was more of a response to Tad.

I use it only to show an example that telling cops you have a firearm isn't wrong. Most rational cops appreciate it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:27 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
denisdman wrote:

I use it only to show an example that telling cops you have a firearm isn't wrong. Most rational cops appreciate it.
Why would the expectation be that you can be honest with the cops and not get shot for it?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:31 pm 

Police and African Americans have an adversarial coexistence. It manifests itself whether a black person is committing a legal or illegal act. It also supersedes race in some instances, as black police and black people tend to also have an adversarial relationship. In some instances it can be worse because black cops are viewed as sellouts in black, particularly impoverished black communities.

Last edited by long time guy on Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:33 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
denisdman wrote:

It was more of a response to Tad.

I didn't say it was wrong. The way it happened in those two situations was very different.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:39 pm 
100000 CLUB

Tad Queasy wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

If that's EXACTLY how it happened then I agree.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:44 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
The only stance on this tough issue that matters

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:45 pm 

:lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 50  Next