It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Otto Warmbier
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:28 am 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
To me it's a tragedy, but I can't help but realize this sort of treatment is happening on a massive scale to regular North Koreans.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:51 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
To me it's a tragedy, but I can't help but realize this sort of treatment is happening on a massive scale to regular North Koreans.

There's no doubt. And they're still holding who knows how many Americans captive for different fake "crimes". And I don't discount that the outrage over this may be more acute in certain quarters because this is a 22 year old white kid rather than an American named Kim or Park, but the way this was done was particularly cruel. "Hey, we're releasing your son. Oh, by the way, half his brain has been gone for over a year."

And in light of the way this all happened, some of the things that were previously said and written by those on the social justice left in the name of their politics seem grotesque beyond description.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:38 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Actions have consequences.

The guy gambled his life going to North Korea and lost.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:49 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Do I hear the sound of butting in? It's gotta be little Don Tiny, CFMB's answer to a a QUESTION NO ONE ASKED!

Peeps? You are the worst human being I have ever met.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:34 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
If Elmhurst Steve Puts on his hood and walks through Englewood, is it OK to criticize him for his actions when the inevitable happens?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:45 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
W_Z wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Do I hear the sound of butting in? It's gotta be little Don Tiny, CFMB's answer to a a QUESTION NO ONE ASKED!

Peeps? You are the worst human being I have ever met.

Hey, I got off pretty easy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:49 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Did anyone read the circumstances of his arrest, and what North Korea presented as a story? It seems completely fabricated. If we were to switch around the details, and say - police shoot unarmed man stealing a poster. Ogie would deem it another sign of needing to get rid of the government. A college kid goes on a day trip to North Korea- Darwin Award.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:56 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
I like how everyone just believes that Warmbier tried stealing the poster because the North Koreans said he did. Like, Ogie wont trust the American justice system to save his life but somehow isn't willing to question a confession achieved by obvious torture or grainy, clearly staged video of the supposed crime. But even if he did do it the penalty for such crimes isn't death.

The amount of told-you-so'ing by the boring people in this thread who barely ever leave suburban Chicago is pretty pathetic. If the riskiest thing you do every day is drive to work you're throwing your life away just as much as Warmbier did, but in a different and much more pathetic way.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:00 am 
Site Admin

Kirkwood wrote:

Does that apply across the board or just in this instance? I mean, would you say that to a girl who got loaded at a frat party and was raped? I don't think you would. So why do it here? If this guy did anything wrong it certainly wasn't anything egregious enough to justify even a day in prison let alone the death penalty.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:04 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

Does that apply across the board or just in this instance? I mean, would you say that to a girl who got loaded at a frat party and was raped? I don't think you would. So why do it here? If this guy did anything wrong it certainly wasn't anything egregious enough to justify even a day in prison let alone the death penalty.

He visited North Korea. That was where he went wrong. Very simple concept.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:06 am 

MANY Americans seem okay with foreign governments torturing and killing American citizens.

SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:07 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

Why are you more upset with Warmbier for being murdered than North Korea for murdering him?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:08 am 
Site Admin

Kirkwood wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

Almost every tragic story is preceded by some ill-advised behavior on the part of the victim. I'm not sure what the point of hammering on such a fact is.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:09 am 

Did you know that two thousand years ago a Roman citizen could walk across the face of the known world free of the fear of molestation? He could walk across the Earth unharmed, cloaked only in the protection of the words civis Romanus -- I am a Roman citizen. So great was the retribution of Rome, universally understood as certain, should any harm befall even one of its citizens. Where was Otto's protection? Where is the retribution for the families, and where is the warning to the rest of the world that Americans shall walk this Earth unharmed, lest the clenched fist of the most mighty military force in the history of mankind comes crashing down on your house?! In other words, what the hell are we doing here?!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:11 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Did you know that two thousand years ago a Roman citizen could walk across the face of the known world free of the fear of molestation? He could walk across the Earth unharmed, cloaked only in the protection of the words civis Romanus -- I am a Roman citizen. So great was the retribution of Rome, universally understood as certain, should any harm befall even one of its citizens. Where was Otto's protection? Where is the retribution for the families, and where is the warning to the rest of the world that Americans shall walk this Earth unharmed, lest the clenched fist of the most mighty military force in the history of mankind comes crashing down on your house?! In other words, what the hell are we doing here?!

CTE?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:13 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

Almost every tragic story is preceded by some ill-advised behavior on the part of the victim. I'm not sure what the point of hammering on such a fact is.

I don't have much sympathy for situations where the consequence wasn't the result of an accident.

The kid thought it'd be cool to visit an irrational dictatorship. I get it. Forbidden fruit. Bro, lemme tell you what I saw.

Well he lost. Time to move on.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:13 am 

pittmike wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

CTE?

Close.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:28 am 

I assume any American going there is CIA cover. I think the NK believe that as well. If true, it changes the story a little but is till not worthy of a death sentence.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:28 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Let's just nuke these zipper heads already

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:33 am 

good dolphin wrote:
I assume any American going there is CIA cover. I think the NK believe that as well. If true, it changes the story a little but is till not worthy of a death sentence.

We know everything we need to know about the DPRK by looking at Soviet technology from 40 years ago, spying on them is pretty pointless.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:44 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Terry's Peeps wrote:

OK President Bartlett

Now what is the virtue of a proportional response?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:49 am 

America wrote:
I like how everyone just believes that Warmbier tried stealing the poster because the North Koreans said he did. Like, Ogie wont trust the American justice system to save his life but somehow isn't willing to question a confession achieved by obvious torture or grainy, clearly staged video of the supposed crime. But even if he did do it the penalty for such crimes isn't death.

The amount of told-you-so'ing by the boring people in this thread who barely ever leave suburban Chicago is pretty pathetic. If the riskiest thing you do every day is drive to work you're throwing your life away just as much as Warmbier did, but in a different and much more pathetic way.

I don't need to believe he stole the poster to think he's an idiot for visiting North Korea. You can go there, obey every law, and still end up like Mr. Wamrbier and I'll say you were a moron for going there. Of course North Korea trumps up charges on foreigners. You would know that without going there.

I'm pretty sure the State Department has had a warning against visiting there for quite some time...

https://travel.state.gov/content/passpo ... rning.html

As I said, he's a moron who found a creative way to remove himself from the gene pool. Now let's move on.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:55 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
America wrote:

I don't need to believe he stole the poster to think he's an idiot for visiting North Korea. You can go there, obey every law, and still end up like Mr. Wamrbier and I'll say you were a moron for going there. Of course North Korea trumps up charges on foreigners. You would know that without going there.

I'm pretty sure the State Department has had a warning against visiting there for quite some time...

As I said, he's a moron who found a creative way to remove himself from the gene pool. Now let's move on.

Would you say the same about someone who got into a a wrestling match with the police or carried a gun?

You seem to be pretty brazen in blaming this guy, while complaining about the oppressive government here.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:00 am 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
America wrote:

Would you say the same about someone who got into a a wrestling match with the police or carried a gun?

You seem to be pretty brazen in blaming this guy, while complaining about the oppressive government here.

I can blame both parties. It takes a special type of stupid to travel to North Korea when it is no secret what happens to Americans who do so.

I can blame him for being a complete moron who did something incredibly stupid. I can also blame North Korea for their absolute brutality, which is why you shouldn't travel there in the 1st place.

Also your analogy is bullshit. There is no similarity between having your rights taken away by a public servant who is sworn to serve and protect and putting yourself in a position where you are at the mercy of the most brutal regime currently on this planet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:10 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
I can blame both parties. It takes a special type of stupid to travel to North Korea when it is no secret what happens to Americans who do so.

I can blame him for being a complete moron who did something incredibly stupid. I can also blame North Korea for their absolute brutality, which is why you shouldn't travel there in the 1st place.

Also your analogy is bullshit. There is no similarity between having your rights taken away by a public servant who is sworn to serve and protect and putting yourself in a position where you are at the mercy of the most brutal regime currently on this planet.

No. In both cases the person is putting themselves into a position of risk. You've just decided that this guy's behavior needs to be ridiculed. I would say wrestling with the police is also very high risk, yet there is outrage rather than- what was he expecting fighting with a police officer.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:14 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

No. In both cases the person is putting themselves into a position of risk. You've just decided that this guy's behavior needs to be ridiculed. I would say wrestling with the police is also very high risk, yet there is outrage rather than- what was he expecting fighting with a police officer.

your argument is a false analogy. The 2 situations are nothing alike. Try harder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:18 am 

So what Ogie is basically saying is that when you are in a country you are at the mercy of however the government acts and therefore it is your fault with how they treat you? I would think a guy who has complained many times about our own government would not want to set that precedent to his posts.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:31 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
America wrote:

This is a false analogy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:33 am 

Its in no way a false analogy. Ogie just hates white people and wants to see them suffer, his brain has been poisoned by the current news climate and there's no coming back. Killing himself is his best, last option.

*Ogie can be white and hate white people

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:33 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
So what Ogie is basically saying is that when you are in a country you are at the mercy of however the government acts and therefore it is your fault with how they treat you? I would think a guy who has complained many times about our own government would not want to set that precedent to his posts.

I'm saying North Korea is a brutal regime. They should be condemned, sanctioned, etc. However, that does not absolve a moron who travels there and should know better.

Once again, I think the State Department's warning page re visiting North Korea really couldn't be any more clear.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next