It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1012 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 34  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:00 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
ZephMarshack wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
And before anyone swoops in to remind everyone that NFL players are not the equivalent of civil rights protesters (plus they're paid millions!), the point is that the people who most often insist that this just isn't the right time or place for protests often believe there's never a right time or place for them.

I understand your last sentence is accurate, but if you want to compare a kneeling NFL star to a guy attempting to stand while Bull Connor sprays him with a firehose and sets a German Shepherd on him, I'm just going to walk away from the conversation.

You evidently didn't because I already acknowledged the exact way you'd try to dismiss it in that very sentence and you proceeded to do so anyway. Quite amusing whilst you yourself are crying about being misread by others.

Kaepernick is being blackballed out of the league. Last year, MANY of his detractors here were saying his protest was purely empty virtue signaling. Seems to be the opposite of empty virtue signaling if it had that kind of economic implications, no?

Kaepernick took a stand- as confused as he may be about what exactly he stands for- and now others are standing against him. Nobody has to hire someone who is immediately going to anger his customers. And nobody has to like the way he is protesting. We all have rights.

I'm simply pointing out that for most Americans, a man suffering under Jim Crow being set upon by a German Shepherd is infinitely more sympathetic than a wealthy guy who is disrespecting the flag. And they are disrespecting it. I don't want to take their right to do so away. And I'm not concerned about it in any way. But that is what they are doing and many Americans don't like it. They have that right too.

But the freedom riders evidently weren't sympathetic to most Americans, nor was King (nor were the wealthy athletes protesting in that time), despite the distinctions you're trying to draw. That's the whole point of the polls. Those tactics only became acceptable retrospectively as part of our happy narrative of US history.

I don't disagree with that. But do you think America is in the same place now as it was in 1964? Maybe you do. Maybe it is. I don't think so though. Nobody is trying to attack a player or physically stop anyone from kneeling. Most people are just being quiet and changing the channel.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
badrogue17 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Kaepernick took a stand- as confused as he may be about what exactly he stands for- and now others are standing against him. Nobody has to hire someone who is immediately going to anger his customers. And nobody has to like the way he is protesting. We all have rights.

I'm simply pointing out that for most Americans, a man suffering under Jim Crow being set upon by a German Shepherd is infinitely more sympathetic than a wealthy guy who is disrespecting the flag. And they are disrespecting it. I don't want to take their right to do so away. And I'm not concerned about it in any way. But that is what they are doing and many Americans don't like it. They have that right too.

Its as simple as this.

Yep.

MANY people care more about a symbol than real people.

SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
long time guy wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
well somehow the civil rights movement was able to achieve most of its objectives at the time. how did that happen if most people were opposed to the cause?

Lyndon Johnson signed the Civil Rights Bill.

And how did that Bill get to his office ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
No team has an obligation to sign Kaepernick. When people say it is wrong of NFL teams not to sign him, they are essentially saying that a team with a need at quarterback has no right to consider the circus that would accompany him. And if they are saying that the team has to "put up" with the circus, aren't they essentially saying that the team must basically agree with the message?

No I'd say you can't pretend you're committed to winning above all else if you're not willing to sign him (which BTW, is exactly what teams say again and again when they sign guys with long criminal records without a moment's hesitation). As to the circus, no one who actually played with him or coached him in San Francisco complained that he was a distraction.
So why would the 49ers have cut him? Was he bad at football?

I'm a huge 49ers fan. I pined for Kapernick while Harbaugh was there. The guy was exposed after he left as a guy who didn't throw all that well (you can go after his receivers for part of that) a guy who, if you kept him in pocket would have trouble over the course of a game. He wasn't a super bowl winning QB. But then, neither was Trent Dilfer.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:05 pm 
Site Admin

Terry's Peeps wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Its as simple as this.

Yep.

SAD!

But symbols matter. That's why people get so angry when someone wears a swastika armband or hangs a noose in a tree.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:06 pm 

if any of this results in the ceasing of playing the national anthem at sporting events, it will have been worth it as a byproduct.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
No team has an obligation to sign Kaepernick. When people say it is wrong of NFL teams not to sign him, they are essentially saying that a team with a need at quarterback has no right to consider the circus that would accompany him. And if they are saying that the team has to "put up" with the circus, aren't they essentially saying that the team must basically agree with the message?

I agree. Sports are first and foremost a business. If Kaepernick is comfortable with the consequences then fine. I think he should have known what lie before him.

That's why I like you. No revisionist history here.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:11 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
I'm a huge 49ers fan. I pined for Kapernick while Harbaugh was there. .

Cant let this go. I tried.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:12 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

No I'd say you can't pretend you're committed to winning above all else if you're not willing to sign him (which BTW, is exactly what teams say again and again when they sign guys with long criminal records without a moment's hesitation). As to the circus, no one who actually played with him or coached him in San Francisco complained that he was a distraction.

You're making a ton of assumptions here. First, you're assuming that Kaepernick is the best available talent. Maybe there are those who disagree with you. In fact, I'm sure there are. He is a flawed QB with a lot of natural talent. There are a lot of systems that don't play well to that.

You're also assuming that the off-the-field stuff has no bearing on success. Should go without saying that that's not necessarily true.

Your last sentence is a complete assumption. You have no idea who teammates or coaches in San Francisco said. Were they going to come out at press conferences and complain about him?

It's a ridiculous idea that there is an obligation to sign him. Just total nonsense.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
viewtopic.php?f=100&t=76284

Great thread

Still waiting for my apology from Tres Uno Dos....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
This indicates that it is wrong to ever think that there is a "wrong place" to protest. Is it ok to think the Westboro idiots are wrong to protest at the time they do?

And before anyone swoops in to remind everyone that the Westboro church idiots are not the equivalent of NFL kneelers (plus they're winning millions in court), the point is that the people who most often insist that this just isn't right time or place for protests often believe there's never a right time or place for them.

No, that's not a logical implication of what I wrote at all.

One key difference in your tortured comparison of course is that few people are really sympathetic to Westboro's views in the first place, not just their tactics. Compare that to the NFL players, where MANY feign sympathy for what they're protesting about but do an awful lot of throatclearing about how it's just not the right place or time. Now if you want to suggest that the NFL players' views are in fact as abhorrent as Westboro's, feel free. That strikes me as a more honest argument than disingenuous complaints about tactics for a group you don't even have any substantive agreement with.

"Tortured comparison". :lol:

Both are protests. The Westboro one being more unpopular doesn't change the fact that it's ok for people to think some places should be free from protest or they won't like it.

Your last two sentences are laughable.

No you're simply eliding the difference between people disliking what the Westboro Baptist Church stands for and their tactics and people claiming to be sympathetic to NFL players but tut-tutting anything they actually do in support of those beliefs. Very few people are going "Yes, God actually does hate fags, but I don't think the Westboro Baptist Church is getting their message out in the right way" in the way they are for NFL players. People hate the message and how it's delivered and don't deny either.

But yes, keep insisting that since they both can be described under the broad umbrella of protests, your comparison is completely valid :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:27 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
No you're simply eliding the difference between people disliking what the Westboro Baptist Church stands for and their tactics and people claiming to be sympathetic to NFL players but tut-tutting anything they actually do in support of those beliefs. Very few people are going "Yes, God actually does hate fags, but I don't think the Westboro Baptist Church is getting their message out in the right way" in the way they are for NFL players. People hate the message and how it's delivered and don't deny either.
While extreme wording, many do believe in what God's view of gay people is. Many of those same people would be against the venue chosen by the Westboro Church.

ZephMarshack wrote:
But yes, keep insisting that since they both can be described under the broad umbrella of protests, your comparison is completely valid :lol:
They are though. If you would like a less extreme example I can provide one but it ultimately would not change the fact that it is a valid stance to take that you can disagree with the venue of a protest.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:29 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
You're also assuming that the off-the-field stuff has no bearing on success. Should go without saying that that's not necessarily true.
So if Kaepernick stands for the national anthem last year, the 49ers were likely to win more than 2 games?

Quote:
Your last sentence is a complete assumption. You have no idea who teammates or coaches in San Francisco said. Were they going to come out at press conferences and complain about him?
No I'm not assuming either of these things. Players and coaches have all continued to say he wasn't a distraction even while he's been a free agent. The article I linked quotes numerous people saying just that. If you want to play the distraction card, it would help if there was actually evidence that he was in fact a distraction and negative influence. The biggest amount of assuming going on is from those who insist he simply had to have been one in San Francisco with nothing to back it up and that he'd inevitably be on for whichever team signed him.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:29 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Its as simple as this.

Yep.

SAD!

But symbols matter. That's why people get so angry when someone wears a swastika armband or hangs a noose in a tree.

JORR comparing our tremendous, beautiful flag to Nazi Germany and lynchings. SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
While extreme wording, many do believe in what God's view of gay people is. Many of those same people would be against the venue chosen by the Westboro Church.

Yeah, there are many people who think homosexuality is sinful who are simultaneously appalled by the Phelps family.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:34 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Yeah, there are many people who think homosexuality is sinful who are simultaneously appalled by the Phelps family.

Who isnt? Guy marries a show girl and leaves her the team and she's putting together a team of losers to move to Miami?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:35 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Merely having a negative religious opinion on gay people again does not mean you are in agreement with Westboro. They literally think tragedies on earth are directly linked to tolerance of gay people and warrants their tactics, which is far different from merely viewing them as sinners.

Quote:
They are though. If you would like a less extreme example I can provide one but it ultimately would not change the fact that it is a valid stance to take that you can disagree with the venue of a protest.

But again, I never said it was categorically impossible to criticize the venue of a protest. I said I think there's good reason to believe that MANY of those doing so in response to the NFL players are being disingenous.

Last edited by ZephMarshack on Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:36 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I agree. Sports are first and foremost a business. If Kaepernick is comfortable with the consequences then fine. I think he should have known what lie before him.

I'm a model of consistency surrounded by clouds of hypocrisy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:37 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

I was a bit disappointed when he smoked weed, but it seems like he got his life together afterward and won a few more gold medals.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:38 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Merely having a negative religious opinion on gay people again does not mean you are in agreement with Westboro. They literally think tragedies on earth are directly linked to tolerance of gay people and warrants their tactics, which is far different from merely viewing them as sinners.
Do you think all the people who agree with the kneelers or even all the kneelers have no pride in the flag of the United States?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:39 pm 

long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I'm a model of consistency surrounded by clouds of hypocrisy.

We all are... except the first part. We are all inconsistent and we are all hypocrites.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:42 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
When is the right time to protest injustice and oppression? Should it be peaceful? Should it be silent? Where should the protests be held? How do you do it without pissing off the majority of white America? How do you get the majority white America to be supportive of your cause?

It's 2017 but JORR and MANY others are still making the tired arguments that have been made for decades. There will never be a time where the majority of white America will be sympathetic to any cause that doesn't involve them. People can tie themselves in knots trying to explain how or why this protest is being done improperly but the same will be true for every future protest.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:43 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Do you think all the people who agree with the kneelers or even all the kneelers have no pride in the flag of the United States?

What? This comparison doesn't work at all. The substantive justification for kneeling has next to nothing to do with pride in the flag. In fact the whole reason Kaepernick knelt instead of sat was to show proper respect to the flag while protesting, despite the conservative spin that this is in fact all about hating the flag itself.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:43 pm 

Nas wrote:
When is the right time to protest injustice and oppression? Should it be peaceful? Should it be silent? Where should the protests be held? How do you do it without pissing off the majority of white America? How do you get the majority white America to be supportive of your cause?

It's 2017 but JORR and MANY others are still making the tired arguments that have been made for decades. There will never be a time where the majority of white America will be sympathetic to any cause that doesn't involve them. People can tie themselves in knots trying to explain how or why this protest is being done improperly but the same will be true for every future protest.

I agree with some of that. He should be able to protest, as should the others. That just doesn't entitle him to a job.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Nas wrote:

Personally, I'm perplexed that the "Listen, white people..." and "It's time white people...." strategies haven't been unqualified successes in mobilizing white voters.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:46 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

What? This comparison doesn't work at all. The substantive justification for kneeling has next to nothing to do with pride in the flag. In fact the whole reason Kaepernick knelt instead of sat was to show proper respect to the flag while protesting, despite the conservative spin that this is in fact all about hating the flag itself.
"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color."

Site Admin

Nas wrote:

I'm not making any argument at all. I'm just pointing out that MANY people don't like guys kneeling for the anthem. Do they have that right?

Nas wrote:
When is the right time to protest injustice and oppression?.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:49 pm 

Nas wrote:

Same way college athletes could change the game. Take a game off, uniformly. Screw the NFL, speak to people who think you're entitled athletes by foregoing a paycheck, capture the national attention and the powers that be.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Nas wrote:
When is the right time to protest injustice and oppression?.

Don't forget "lobbying the school board to not redistrict your elite Manhattan school zone to include more blacks".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1012 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 34  Next