It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1067 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegas bloodbath
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:56 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Darkside wrote:
IMU wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
It would be very easy to install electronic governors on car speeds whatever it happens to be where you are.

That's a great idea. After all my gps seems to know what the limit is.
Let's keep imu at that particular limit. He does not need to drive faster.
And I bet a lot more than 60 lives would be saved by such actions.

I'm all for it. Now that speed limits are being raised to reflect modern driving habits and the safest speeds based on years of study, this shouldn't be a problem for anyone. I'll be able to drive fast when I'm at the Autobahn track in Joliet, or Road America up in Wisconsin, and I will be limited to the appropriate, safest speeds while on public roads.

I've made the concession. Now you can too.

What would you like then?

No carrying in public, small magazines, maximum 5 weapons owned per household, no private manufacturing of firearms / all firearms must be registered to a national database.

I'll have my official proposals drafted in the near future.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:01 am 

IMU's proposal is perfectly rational, reasonable and measured. (Although I wish he'd have included bans on semi automatic weapons as well)

Now watch the same unfortunate empty defenses begin anew. It's the republican way

(At least AFTER Reagan)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:16 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
IMU wrote:

No carrying in public, small magazines, maximum 5 weapons owned per household, no private manufacturing of firearms / all firearms must be registered to a national database.

1. That is literally what the second half of "to keep and bear arms" is about. So we're repealing the 2nd?

2. Not rationally related to any set of mass shooting facts in recent memory. None of these attacks would have been foiled by such a ban. Arbitrary and capricious, unconstitutional.

3. Arbitrary and capricious, lacking no rational basis (much less compelling), unconstitutional.

4a. So you propose we nationalize the arms manufacturing business, putting Remington and Smith & Wesson out of business?

4b. There are 4th and 5th Amendment considerations here. I don't think the government has a right to brand your firearm and know when you bought it, where you keep it, etc. Probably unconstitutional.

Regular Reader caveat: Explain exactly what about these defenses is "weak". :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:22 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I will just leave this piece here for those with an open mind about the ineffectiveness of gun control ideas. Stats viewpoint.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/ ... story.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
QUESTION- would you enjoy IMU's laughable self-satisfaction at even the most mediocre/mundane of life's accomplishments at the price of his many, many (diagnosed and diagnosed) social disorders?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:28 am 

you know its a real good thing there are oval racetracks in the collar counties or IMU might go real fast in his overtuned german commuter car on *gasp* public roads.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
pittmike wrote:
I will just leave this piece here for those with an open mind about the ineffectiveness of gun control ideas. Stats viewpoint.

obviously he has been paid off by the gun lobby.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:30 am 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
IMU wrote:

1. That is literally what the second half of "to keep and bear arms" is about. So we're repealing the 2nd?

2. Not rationally related to any set of mass shooting facts in recent memory. None of these attacks would have been foiled by such a ban. Arbitrary and capricious, unconstitutional.

3. Arbitrary and capricious, lacking no rational basis (much less compelling), unconstitutional.

4a. So you propose we nationalize the arms manufacturing business, putting Remington and Smith & Wesson out of business?

4b. There are 4th and 5th Amendment considerations here. I don't think the government has a right to brand your firearm and know when you bought it, where you keep it, etc. Probably unconstitutional.

Regular Reader caveat: Explain exactly what about these defenses is "weak". :roll:

In fairness none of them speak to his post and are hyperbolic and empty at the same time, a neat trick, kudos

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:31 am 

IMU wrote:

You know I meant private citizens manufacturing firearms and gun parts from their homes. Businesses of course would still be manufacturing weapons in accordance to all new laws.

The government brands my vehicle. Moonshine is illegal. Firearms aren't any more above regulation that cars or alcohol.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:34 am 

America wrote:
QUESTION- would you enjoy IMU's laughable self-satisfaction at even the most mediocre/mundane of life's accomplishments at the price of his many, many (diagnosed and diagnosed) social disorders?

You know, I've never had anyone give me their address in a challenge for me to kick their ass, and then move across a fucking ocean to get away from it happening. It makes me feel kind of good about myself. Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:35 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
IMU wrote:
America wrote:

You know, I've never had anyone give me their address in a challenge for me to kick their ass, and then move across a fucking ocean to get away from it happening. It makes me feel kind of good about myself. Thank you.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:35 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
IMU wrote:
Darkside wrote:
IMU wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
It would be very easy to install electronic governors on car speeds whatever it happens to be where you are.

I'm all for it. Now that speed limits are being raised to reflect modern driving habits and the safest speeds based on years of study, this shouldn't be a problem for anyone. I'll be able to drive fast when I'm at the Autobahn track in Joliet, or Road America up in Wisconsin, and I will be limited to the appropriate, safest speeds while on public roads.

1: SCOTUS has repeatedly ruled right to carry with CCW. See Heller and McDonald cases.

2: I can 3D print magazines. We did have a ban in 1994, but the FBI and ATF both agreed the 10 round limit made no difference in the number of gun deaths. In fact, gun deaths have fallen since the 10 round mag limit expired in 2004. Beside, since easily 3D printed, any criminal (such as this guy who would modify a weapon) would easily print larger mags with no issue.

3: No, do you realize how many weapons are owned as collectibles? Also, hunters will have several types of weapons for different game.

4: ban this if you want, but you can't effectively do so. Anyone can get a Maker Bot or Ghost Gunner CNC mill. Criminals will still manufacture weapons if they want and you can't do anything about it.

5: Hell no on a national database. If we're worried about tyranny, we sure as hell don't want the government to have a target database of who owns a firearm or not. This encourages us to homemake our AR's. We sure as hell don't want the government to know who has the guns and how many. Just let us pass a reasonable background check and let us be on our way. The last thing we want to do is giver the government a list of places to confiscate legally owned weapons from. You're encouraging us to go underground and mill/print our own lower receivers.

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:37 am 

IMU wrote:
[ Firearms aren't any more above regulation that cars or alcohol.

alas, they are by law.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:37 am 

IMU wrote:
America wrote:

You dont have enough money to travel freely about the western world? yikes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:39 am 

pittmike wrote:

That article completely avoids the statistical differences in gun related crimes in major urban areas that had strict gun control but were neighbored by very lax places like Indiana (NYC vs. Chicago to start)

And I'm wondering how many here know about the long history of gun thefts from freight trains from "secured" railyards on the south side. It's been going on for decades almost completely unchecked

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:39 am 

IMU wrote:
IMU wrote:

You know I meant private citizens manufacturing firearms and gun parts from their homes. Businesses of course would still be manufacturing weapons in accordance to all new laws.

How do you differentiate between a business and a sole proprietor, then? Sales figures?

Quote:
The government brands my vehicle. Moonshine is illegal. Firearms aren't any more above regulation that cars or alcohol.

Except one is a right guaranteed by the constitution, and the others are not. I'll let you figure out which is which.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:43 am 

1. SCOTUS has also sided with the Collective Right view of the Second Amendment in the past. It depends on the justices. I'm not arguing what today's interpretation is. I'm arguing as to how we will change the current amendments so that we do not sacrifice too many freedoms while trying to protect American lives.

2. Private businesses would not be able to sell certain CNC 3-Axis or higher machines to private individuals without additional documentation. Manufacturing said firearms components would be subject to decades in prison. I'm pretty sure not every Steven Paddock lunatic has access to the criminal underworld. This guy did nothing illegally. It is reasonable to think the restrictions I outlined could have specifically stoppped this person.

3. I don't care how many firearms are owned as collectibles. This is about safety, not someone's hobby. Maybe there could be rare exceptions.

4. See #2. There are already export compliance restrictions when selling CNC machines to businesses in other countries. The U.S. knows how to regulate this.

5. Be encouraged all you want to manufacture your assault rifles at home. You'll be subject to the 20 years minimum prison time. My car is registered. Why are your firearms different than my car?

IMU wrote:
Quote:

Except one is a right guaranteed by the constitution, and the others are not. I'll let you figure out which is which.

Cars did not exist in 1791. Also, the constitution as been changed many times over the years. This is why we are discussing an AMENDMENT. I am not asking for something that has never been done before. We have to change the laws based on the current and future needs of the country. You know what has never happened? The federal government coming after you. You know what has happened? Murder using under regulated firearms capable of swiftly killing massive amounts of people.

How do you differentiate between a business and a sole proprietor, then? Sales figures?

Proper licensing. Do you know understand how businesses work? I feel like you want to go off topic.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:48 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
IMU wrote:
1. SCOTUS has also sided with the Collective Right view of the Second Amendment in the past. It depends on the justices. I'm not arguing what today's interpretation is. I'm arguing as to how we will change the current amendments so that we do not sacrifice too many freedoms while trying to protect American lives.

2. Private businesses would not be able to sell certain CNC 3-Axis or higher machines to private individuals without additional documentation. Manufacturing said firearms components would be subject to decades in prison. I'm pretty sure not every Steven Paddock lunatic has access to the criminal underworld. This guy did nothing illegally. It is reasonable to think the restrictions I outlined could have specifically stoppped this person.

3. I don't care how many firearms are owned as collectibles. This is about safety, not someone's hobby. Maybe there could be rare exceptions.

4. See #2. There are already export compliance restrictions when selling CNC machines to businesses in other countries. The U.S. knows how to regulate this.

5. Be encouraged all you want to manufacture your assault rifles at home. You'll be subject to the 20 years minimum prison time. My car is registered. Why are your firearms different than my car?

1: my firearms are constitutionally protected. That's the biggest difference and we are seeing that courts are pushing states to "shall issue" status rather than "may issue" It's almost certain that all 50 states plus DC will become by court order "Shall issue" when it comes to

2: Let's say you ban CNC mills (pretty impossible as you can import one if needed and customs will never see it). You still can't do anything about 3D printing. I can buy one at Best Buy or Costco today, get files from Pirate Bay via Tor, and have my lower receiver by the end of the day. The cat is out of the bag and you cannot undo it.

3: once again, constitutionally protected. Your false demands for safety does not undo the Constitution. This is why Nazis are allowed to march despite being despicable pricks.

4: 3D printing, anyone can buy one and the 3D printer for than an AR-15.

5: my car is not a protected right by the constitution, my right to bear arms is.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:55 am 

IMU wrote:

IMU wrote:
Quote:

Cars did not exist in 1791. Also, the constitution as been changed many times over the years. This is why we are discussing an AMENDMENT. I am not asking for something that has never been done before. We have to change the laws based on the current and future needs of the country. You know what has never happened? The federal government coming after you. You know what has happened? Murder using under regulated firearms capable of swiftly killing massive amounts of people.

Proper licensing. Do you know understand how businesses work? I feel like you want to go off topic.

I am so glad IMU has chosen to keep putting in quality work like this. Please don't soft shoe his talk about politics in this Court either

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:56 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
1: my firearms are constitutionally protected. That's the biggest difference and we are seeing that courts are pushing states to "shall issue" status rather than "may issue" It's almost certain that all 50 states plus DC will become by court order "Shall issue" when it comes to

2: Let's say you ban CNC mills (pretty impossible as you can import one if needed and customs will never see it). You still can't do anything about 3D printing. I can buy one at Best Buy or Costco today, get files from Pirate Bay via Tor, and have my lower receiver by the end of the day. The cat is out of the bag and you cannot undo it.

3: once again, constitutionally protected. Your false demands for safety does not undo the Constitution. This is why Nazis are allowed to march despite being despicable pricks.

4: 3D printing, anyone can buy one and the 3D printer for than an AR-15.

5: my car is not a protected right by the constitution, my right to bear arms is.

1. For now.

2-4. Please 3D print a fully operable AR-15 and video your complete process and upload it on Youtube for us, to show us it is you. I think you'll find there is a huge difference between what you can print on a plastic 3d printer versus a metal 3d printer, and I believe the cost and effort on the latter is beyond you.

5. For now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:56 am 

Let's also not forget that IMU happily wants to put all small machinist shops out of business by burying them in bureaucracy so that maybe someone can't mill a firing pin.

Yes, "reasonable and thought out" indeed. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:01 am 

Let's also not forget that IMU happily wants to put all small machinist shops out of business by burying them in bureaucracy so that maybe someone can't mill a firing pin.

Small machine shops deal with complicated contract manufacturing all the time.

Many of the largest firearms manufacturers in the world operate out of countries with far stricter gun laws than our own.

And as I said, we liquidated a couple firearms manufacturing facilities in the last 18 months or so. Regulations weren't the issue, and wouldn't have been an issue.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
IMU wrote:
Darkside wrote:
IMU wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Small magazines does nothing to stop the carnage. I can't disagree with you more on this one. And what exactly is a small magazine? Is my 8 round 1911 magazine small? What of my 17 round 9mm magazine? Honestly magazine size is really stupid. You get much further with limiting the number of magazines yo7 can own rather than magazine capacity. Again I bet it takes me less than a second to run dry and pop a fresh mag in and resume firing and really I'm not highly skilled in this... It's quite easy to do.

Carrying in public tends not to be the problem. I have countless examples of lives saved by CCW. Recently a guy carrying in a sports bar saved the lives of dozens of people. You may have a point but typically here people with CCW are rarely the antagonists of these situations. Also not that the CC process isn't exactly easy to get thru. There's training and confirmation of skills and laws before you get your CCL. Open carry without the express permission of the state police (at least here in Illinois) is already a felony.

Maximum 5 weapons per household? Let's think about this. So... my grandpa lived with the family for a while and he had his bird gun... I had my bird gun and my deer gun, and so does my dad. So none of us then would be allowed a protection weapon or I'd have to sell or lose my right to my 1911? My mom or my cousin who lived with us would no longer have their rights to own a weapon? What about people who collect memorabilia? What about the fact that genuine sportsmen have several different platforms for several different game types? Personally I've got an upland gun, a waterfowl gun, a deer gun, and a large game gun, all of which mind you are broken down and locked away.

As far as I know private manufacture of weapons and parts is a crime already.

As I have no intention to use my weapons I personally would not be against a national registration of firearms. However there are privacy issues at stake and I seem to remember this being brought up in an ancillary way during McDonald v. Chicago in which 14th amendment issues were raised. That being said I'm not sure precisely what this solves other than straw purchasers and buyers so as a strategy to end that practice I suppose I could back it with certain limitations of what precisely the government can do with that information.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:10 am 

Darkside wrote:
You get much further with limiting the number of magazines yo7 can own rather than magazine capacity.

I like it. We will also limit the amount of magazines owned. 2 per gun?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:17 am 

IMU wrote:

Small machine shops deal with complicated contract manufacturing all the time.

So starting or maintaining a manufacturing business in the modern economy isn't hard enough? You want to make, by constitutional amendment, mind you, the guy who wants to machine rocker arms for a Harley spend thousands of dollars to comply with the ATF and FBI to make sure he's not making weapons?

The party of the working class, ladies and gentlemen.

Last edited by Juice's Lecture Notes on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:17 am 

How many people are killed by antique guns?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:18 am 

IMU wrote:
Darkside wrote:
You get much further with limiting the number of magazines yo7 can own rather than magazine capacity.

Is the National Magazine Database separate from or incorporated into the National Gun Database? The more you pontificate on this issue, the more insane you sound.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:20 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Regular Reader wrote:
pittmike wrote:

That article completely avoids the statistical differences in gun related crimes in major urban areas that had strict gun control but were neighbored by very lax places like Indiana (NYC vs. Chicago to start)

And I'm wondering how many here know about the long history of gun thefts from freight trains from "secured" railyards on the south side. It's been going on for decades almost completely unchecked

It discussed all gun deaths in America. So it really did cover those resulting from the things which you listed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:22 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Hatchetman wrote:
How many people are killed by antique guns?

Make all guns legal and then tax the hell out of them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
IMU wrote:
Darkside wrote:

I mean, I think that's an awful idea but yes I agree that would be much more effective than the size of the magazine.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1067 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 36  Next