It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:10 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I think they used an ancestry site to catch the Golden State Killer.

I'm sure that's not going in the marketing campaign :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:14 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
hnd wrote:
Nas wrote:
hnd wrote:
KDdidit wrote:
I'm like one of the least conspiracy theory-ist people out there, but freely sending your DNA off to these companies seems sketchy as hell.

yeah i'm not sending the mormons any of my fluids. i get it its probably harmless but the last thing i need is to be the dna needed for some random cold case where i was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

So your fear is being framed for a crime? Would you do it if that wasn't a possibility?

not really. i know where i'm from for the most part, take no real pride in my heritage unless it conveniences me in some way (got a italian scholarship cuz i was the only one who sent in an essay....am like 1/8 italian), and think handing this stuff over to some LDS wackos is creepy.

MANY of us can't easily trace our roots for various reasons. I understand that MANY have an issue with Mormons and the government but I'm still not understanding what MANY believe Mormons or the government will do with their saliva that will be harmful. No offense but it comes off as being fearful just for the sake of being fearful.

We've willing given up a lot more through the advancements of technology. MANY of us have phones that uses biometrics in the name of privacy and security. MANY of us use Facebook and they have facial recognition software that is able to easily identify us. We have no issue with these things.

I'm happy to find out that I can celebrate just about every holiday and that I can be offended by MANY more ethnic slurs.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:31 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
The Mormons only do this ancestry shit because they want to baptize your dead relatives as Mormons.

EDIT: Oh, and isn't there a big pipeline from the Mormon Church to the FBI and CIA? That's cool.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Nas wrote:
the government will do with their saliva that will be harmful

When it comes to the government or your boss . . . if they can, they will. I think history supports this.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:11 pm 
100000 CLUB

tommy wrote:
Nas wrote:

When it comes to the government or your boss . . . if they can, they will. I think history supports this.

What will they do? Don't they already have more information than they've ever had? Why aren't our biometrics a problem? Do we trust Samsung and Apple more?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:14 pm 

There's no sense in distinguishing between private and public sectors on this. If the government wants what Apple/Samsung/Facebook/Google has, they'll take it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:01 pm 

Nas wrote:
tommy wrote:
Nas wrote:

What will they do? Don't they already have more information than they've ever had? Why aren't our biometrics a problem? Do we trust Samsung and Apple more?

We know what they'll do: use it to get petty revenge or (more likely) allocate scarce resources. If we got it, we'll use it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:08 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
Regular Reader wrote:
hnd wrote:
Nas wrote:
hnd wrote:
KDdidit wrote:
I'm like one of the least conspiracy theory-ist people out there, but freely sending your DNA off to these companies seems sketchy as hell.

yeah i'm not sending the mormons any of my fluids. i get it its probably harmless but the last thing i need is to be the dna needed for some random cold case where i was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

So your fear is being framed for a crime? Would you do it if that wasn't a possibility?

not really. i know where i'm from for the most part, take no real pride in my heritage unless it conveniences me in some way (got a italian scholarship cuz i was the only one who sent in an essay....am like 1/8 italian), and think handing this stuff over to some LDS wackos is creepy.

I've really had that feeling since learning about their "baptizing" the dead into their church. Just weird and creepy.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... roxy_.html [/url]

its the whole purpose of their ancestry obsession. look i'm a christian, we got wierd stuff too so who am i to throw stones but its really weird.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:09 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
Nas wrote:
hnd wrote:
Nas wrote:
hnd wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

MANY of us can't easily trace our roots for various reasons. I understand that MANY have an issue with Mormons and the government but I'm still not understanding what MANY believe Mormons or the government will do with their saliva that will be harmful. No offense but it comes off as being fearful just for the sake of being fearful.

We've willing given up a lot more through the advancements of technology. MANY of us have phones that uses biometrics in the name of privacy and security. MANY of us use Facebook and they have facial recognition software that is able to easily identify us. We have no issue with these things.

I'm happy to find out that I can celebrate just about every holiday and that I can be offended by MANY more ethnic slurs.

technology footprints is a bit different than dna. i also think we are way more willing than we should with that too. if i had no idea my heritage i see the attraction. for shits and giggles, pass.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
I'm lucky in that my GGGG Grandfather founded Downers Grove, so if I wanted my family history on my dad's side it's all at the Downers Grove Historical Society. I'm unlucky in that because of that relation, my middle name is actually Downer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Also, have fun with your "random" TSA patdowns

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:21 pm 

Hey Nas, can you get me your bank account number? I promise not to do anything with it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:39 pm 

KDdidit wrote:

I'm envisioning a commercial for AltRightAncestry.com where it has the ukelele-n-glockenspiel music and people holding up their results about how they're 25% Lithuanian and 6.25% Dutch and 3.125% Albanian, then they get to the black guy holding up his results and saying "well, mine just says the n-word on it."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:41 pm 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Hey Nas, can you get me your bank account number? I promise not to do anything with it.

That's not the same. I would love to hear how you believe that it can be abused in a way that's harmful.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:44 am 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

That's not the same. I would love to hear how you believe that it can be abused in a way that's harmful.

I assume there are presently many ways to mess with me that I am ignorant of and many more that are being developed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:01 am 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I assume there are presently many ways to mess with me that I am ignorant of and many more that are being developed.

Is it just your saliva that you react this way about? Is it the company that makes you suspicious or are you suspicious of everyone?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:58 am 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Is it just your saliva that you react this way about? Is it the company that makes you suspicious or are you suspicious of everyone?

I am suspicious of everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:22 am 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

What criteria do you use to decide what person or company to freely give personal and identifying information to?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:29 am 

KDdidit wrote:

Damn, she's fine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:04 am 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

What criteria do you use to decide what person or company to freely give personal and identifying information to?

It's really a question of my need.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:25 am 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:

If you weren't aware that you were "99% pure blood" or you couldn't trace your roots, you might see it as a need?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:12 am 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:

If you weren't aware that you were "99% pure blood" or you couldn't trace your roots, you might see it as a need?

If it were a need, I would go through a doctor.

There is no such thing as pure blood anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:12 am 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:

How would your PCP or anyone else be able to perform the same task without the reference database of a company like Ancestry DNA? Ultimately you're going to rely on people who you don't know or trust not to abuse the data they've collected. This is always true whenever we take calculated risks.

I was just quoting something you said earlier in the thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:26 am 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:

How would your PCP or anyone else be able to perform the same task without the reference database of a company like Ancestry DNA? Ultimately you're going to rely on people who you don't know or trust not to abuse the data they've collected. This is always true whenever we take calculated risks.

I was just quoting something you said earlier in the thread.

I know but as an aside I don't believe in pure blood. I know my parents, grandparents and great grandparents. I can trace both sides back from the US to a single "country" but that country has not existed at times and has always been a popular object for invaders.

As a double aside, we have these discussion about race here. I don't think they will be resolved through institutions or society (at least the way society thinks). I think it will be resolved the same way ethnic identity has been. We are a couple of generations away from a multi racial demography. Now those arguments are going to be the fun ones.