It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:55 pm 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
:lol: Just admit you were wrong instead of laughingly lame insults like that.

I don't think I was wrong labeling "automatic fire will make guns safer" as absurd.

Tell Ogie.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I don't think I was wrong labeling "automatic fire will make guns safer" as absurd.

Tell Ogie.

Ogie didn't say that, you did.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Sorkin's Storm is right.

You can't do anything to prevent killings in 2018.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:07 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Tell Ogie.

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
I think most gun owners were fine with the trade as automatic fire is pretty useless in most situations. All it does is throw off your aim after the 3rd round (muzzle climb resulting form recoil) and result in you expending your ammunition quickly. About the only tactical situation you would use automatic fire is when you are laying down covering fire.

So, I'm no gun expert, but it seems like making all guns fully automatic would make them "pretty useless" in all but "laying down covering fire". I'll take my chances on all guns being "pretty useless". :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:12 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Tell Ogie.

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
I think most gun owners were fine with the trade as automatic fire is pretty useless in most situations. All it does is throw off your aim after the 3rd round (muzzle climb resulting form recoil) and result in you expending your ammunition quickly. About the only tactical situation you would use automatic fire is when you are laying down covering fire.

So, I'm no gun expert, but it seems like making all guns fully automatic would make them "pretty useless" in all but "laying down covering fire". I'll take my chances on all guns being "pretty useless". :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:16 pm 

pizza_Place: My own
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Sorkin's Storm is right.

Of course it's not that simple, but it all comes at a cost. Now I know people will mock me saying that and act like I'm a monster, but that is misguided. We make choices about safety and resources every day. And maybe I'm wrong that mass killings can't be prevented, but most of the evidence we have says that no measure can stop them, and there is a huge cost associated with a lot of these things. I'd love to wave a magic wand and make it go away, too, but life doesn't work that way.

Edit: and get my fucking name right.

Last edited by storkinastorm on Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:17 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
If only there were other developed countries that have restrictions on guns that we could look at as a rough guide. It would be real nice if that were the case...

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:20 pm 

storkinastorm wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Sorkin's Storm is right.

Of course it's not that simple, but it all comes at a cost. Now I know people will mock me saying that and act like I'm a monster, but that is misguided. We make choices about safety and resources every day. And maybe I'm wrong that mass killings can't be prevented, but most of the evidence we have says that no measure can stop them, and there is a huge cost associated with a lot of these things. I'd love to wave a magic wand and make it go away, too, but life doesn't work that way.

The cycle is complete. 12 days later and it's "Let's do nothing and just accept this is how we live now".

At least we all know that AR15s and fully automatic weapons are "pretty useless".

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:21 pm 

storkinastorm wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Sorkin's Storm is right.

Edit: and get my fucking name right.

I agree with you Sorkin.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:24 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
If only there were other developed countries that have restrictions on guns that we could look at as a rough guide. It would be real nice if that were the case...

Those countries don't have as fanatical an obsession with firearms as we do, Francis.

I used to think this way too.

But I've come to accept that we as Americans are just more violent and just more crazy than other civilized peoples.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:26 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
storkinastorm wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Sorkin's Storm is right.

The cycle is complete. 12 days later and it's "Let's do nothing and just accept this is how we live now".

At least we all know that AR15s and fully automatic weapons are "pretty useless".

One of your mistakes is in assuming that everyone was on board with sweeping reform 12 days ago. The media would have you believe that, but if it were true, something major would have happened. It's not true now, and it wasn't true twelve days ago.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:27 pm 

storkinastorm wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
storkinastorm wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Sorkin's Storm is right.

One of your mistakes is in assuming that everyone was on board with sweeping reform 12 days ago. The media would have you believe that, but if it were true, something major would have happened. It's not true now, and it wasn't true twelve days ago.

I'm fully aware that many don't ever want anything to change no matter what happens.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Those countries don't have as fanatical an obsession with firearms as we do, Francis.

I used to think this way too.

But I've come to accept that we as Americans are just more violent and just more crazy than other civilized peoples.

Yup.

Growing up in a household where we own(ed) hunting rifles and handguns I never thought of them as weapons to shoot the Government™ or as providing safety. They were locked away and rarely to be seen from unless absolutely necessary.

I do disagree with more crazy than civilized peoples/countries. All these other peoples/countries have issues with mental health, outcasts, bullied, weirdos, etc. It's just much harder for those people (and regular people) to obtain a gun to kill someone. We've just decided our right to shoot the Government™ is essential and should not be adjusted in any respect.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:34 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Tell Ogie.

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Is "covering fire" somehow "safer" than "direct fire"?

If I get hit with a bullet fired for covering purposes, am I not as hurt or dead? Do covering fire bullets not actually exist outside the muzzle of the weapons firing them?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:40 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
We've just decided our right to shoot the Government™ is essential and should not be adjusted in any respect.

Look, I don't disagree with all the points some of you make, and I understand the frustration, but this was actually decided about 250 years ago, not recently. The Constitution has ways of being modified, but there were reasons they made this stuff so hard to change. We are a country founded upon a number of unalienable rights, for better or for worse.

Maybe the Constitution should be changed, but it's not the casual decision some make it out to be.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:40 pm 

Um, yes. :lol:
If I get hit with a bullet fired for covering purposes, am I not as hurt or dead? Do covering fire bullets not actually exist outside the muzzle of the weapons firing them?
This is just a strange question. You can get hurt or killed by a bowling ball being thrown too. I'll still say a bowling ball is safer than a gun.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:41 pm 

pizza_Place: maciano's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
This is just a strange question. You can get hurt or killed by a bowling ball being thrown too. I'll still say a bowling ball is safer than a gun.

Then why is there a 16 pound limit on bowling balls!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:42 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:47 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

TIL muzzle velocity, shit existence, is based on the motive of the person firing the gun. Smarter every day. Thanks, BRick.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
storkinastorm wrote:

Maybe the Constitution should be changed, but it's not the casual decision some make it out to be.

NO. THIS 17 YEAR OLD SAYS WE SHOULD CHANGE IT WE CHANGE IT

and if you disagree you are a racist! TAKE THAT D R U M P F

btw my family owned guns when I was kid, I even let my boyfriend shove one up my ass, so I definitely know what I'm talking about and come from a totally unbiased place

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:58 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

TIL muzzle velocity, shit existence, is based on the motive of the person firing the gun. Smarter every day. Thanks, BRick.

Once again, ask Ogie. He's the one who said it. I'm deferring to the expert that said that fully automatic guns were "pretty useless" except for "cover fire".

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:02 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
I thijnk it's disingenuous to say fully auto weapons are useless.
In fact the ar15 and ak47 were both built in response to the fact that the Germans were more heavily armed with their mp43, mp44 and stg44.
Other than the Thompson most troops were using semi auto rifles and were in many regards outgunned.

Let me put it this way...

Burst fire > automatic fire > semi auto fire

Assuming of course, the operator is not a variable.

Any strategic shooter will tell you a rifle beats a handgun, and a handgun is basically useful only for getting to your rifle.

So why are full auto and variations of full auto banned? Because someone trained in even a basic manner is considered my more effective a killing machine with a full auto vs. Semi auto I suppose. Plus the fact that they're scary. I bet scary is the real reason. We fear a semi auto ar15 because it's scary looking but you could do a lot more damage at a much longer range with a ruger 7mm.

How do you prevent these events? Interesting question. Until we are issued Crystal balls I don't think these things can be perfectly prevented. Had the fucking cops in this latest incident done their jobs this shitbag wouldn't have had a gun.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:04 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Once again, ask Ogie. He's the one who said it. I'm deferring to the expert that said that fully automatic guns were "pretty useless" except for "cover fire".

He's not entirely wrong. I think he could have worded it better and I think youd be less likely to disagree with him if you had some type of training.

**edited due to typos***

Last edited by Darkside on Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:06 pm 

Darkside wrote:
I thijnk it's disingenuous to say fully auto weapons are useless.
In fact the ar15 and ak47 were both built in response to the fact that the Germans were more heavily armed with their mp43, mp44 and stg44.
Other than the Thompson most troops were using semi auto rifles and were in many regards outgunned.

Let me put it this way...

Burst fire > automatic fire > semi auto fire

Assuming of course, the operator is not a variable.

Any strategic shooter will tell you a rifle beats a handgun, and a handgun is basically useful only for getting to your rifle.

So why are full auto and variations of full auto banned? Because someone trained in even a basic manner is considered my more effective a killing machine with a full auto vs. Semi auto I suppose. Plus the fact that they're scary. I bet scary is the real reason. We fear a semi auto ar15 because it's scary looking but you could do a lot more damage at a much longer range with a ruger 7mm.

How do you prevent these events? Interesting question. Until we are issued Crystal balls I don't think these things can be perfectly prevented. Had the fucking cops in this latest incident done their jobs this shitbag wouldn't have had a gun.
This is the best answer by far. Thank you Darkside!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
America wrote:
storkinastorm wrote:

btw my family owned guns when I was kid, I even let my boyfriend shove one up my ass, so I definitely know what I'm talking about and come from a totally unbiased place

i still own guns and go white tail deer hunting and to the shooting range with my brothers and dad.

simply trying to discuss a topical issue rather than whatever it is your posting above is.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:10 pm 

Edited my second post due to typos.
I'm not really used to this new phone. Seems like my older one was easier to type on.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:11 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
America wrote:
storkinastorm wrote:

i still own guns and go white tail deer hunting and to the shooting range with my brothers and dad.

simply trying to discuss a topical issue rather than whatever it is your posting above is.

None of that is true and even if it was it wouldn't make you any more credible. Nice blog post burrito nobody cares.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:12 pm 

America wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
America wrote:
storkinastorm wrote:

None of that is true and even if it was it wouldn't make you any more credible. Nice blog post burrito nobody cares.

What the hell?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:15 pm 

Darkside wrote:
He's not entirely wrong. I think he could have worded it better and I think youd be less likely to disagree with him if you had some type of training.
There is a very wide difference between "pretty useless" and "not ideal for all situations".

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:18 pm 

Small arms in general and inefficient and statistically ineffective way of killing people. Been that way since about the Civil War. or maybe even Napoleon. There's a reason the USA has had the same standard issue rifle for decades.

Great for suicides though, some of you in this thread should try it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next