It is currently Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3041 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 102  Next
 Post subject: Re: STORMWATCH 2019!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:31 am 

newper wrote:
I ordered some ice shoe strap things tonight. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0784 ... UTF8&psc=1 I'll let you know how they work out but for $25, thought it was probably a decent investment.

In Tinley, we almost had exclusively rain this week, which has now frozen to the drive, making the drive a sheet of ice. Knowing that there is snow coming on Monday and we aren't getting warm enough to melt any of this, I am thinking it is a good time to gear up so I can clear the snow (if we get the 6" or whatever -- maybe we get lucky and it all goes into the Northern suburbs again (apologies to Harvard Dan and the like.)) I'll let you know how they hold up. I dislocated my right kneecap a year and a half ago, so I get extra concerned when we get into these icy situations.

And as for now the dogs have had to be satisfied with just going in the backyard. No walks. They'll live. Winter's a losing proposition, but one you can't refuse. It's the nature of the winter storms. It's the newper's shoes.

tell us what you're gonna do tonight momma?
their must be someplace you can go.
in the middle of the tall drinks & the drummer.
there must be someone you know.
god knows ur lookin good enough, but ur so smooth & the worlds so rough.
you might have something to lose.
oh no, pretty momma, whatcha gonna do in those shoes?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:17 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Going down to almost -20 looks awful but I also feel like below 10 degrees cold as balls is just cold as balls. I know 60 from 80, I don't think I know 10 from -10.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:20 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
Going down to almost -20 looks awful but I also feel like below 10 degrees cold as balls is just cold as balls. I know 60 from 80, I don't think I know 10 from -10.

As someone who is still a dumb cigarette smoker I sure as fuck know the difference between 10 and -10. Polar Vortex is quittin’ time.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:33 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
I took an old pair of running shoes and drilled about 10-12 3/16” sheet metal screws into the bottom of each around the perimeter, with a couple others across the forefoot and the heel. The screws aren’t nearly long enough to come up through all the rubber and foam that make up the sole of the shoe, and they give a HUGE amount of traction when shoveling or walking the dog. Easy to make and have never come close to slipping in them, even on the sheets of ice we have been dealing with around here.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:50 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Indiana Toll Road is one continuous sheet of ice; had to pull off about 15 miles east of South Bend.

I'd like to know what kind of magical traction system some of these morons have; I couldn't go more than 40 without starting to slide in my AWD vehicle.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:57 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Minooka Meatball wrote:
Indiana Toll Road is one continuous sheet of ice; had to pull off about 15 miles east of South Bend.

I'd like to know what kind of magical traction system some of these morons have; I couldn't go more than 40 without starting to slide in my AWD vehicle.

Indiana is the worst state when it comes to snow/ice removal. Fuck INDOT.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:12 am 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
FavreFan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

As someone who is still a dumb cigarette smoker I sure as fuck know the difference between 10 and -10. Polar Vortex is quittin’ time.

When the wind kicks in and your face goes numb thats when I know its -10

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:12 am 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Minooka Meatball wrote:

MOVE

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:24 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Minooka Meatball wrote:

Indiana is the worst state

Fixed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:54 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
man of few opinions wrote:
I took an old pair of running shoes and drilled about 10-12 3/16” sheet metal screws into the bottom of each around the perimeter, with a couple others across the forefoot and the heel. The screws aren’t nearly long enough to come up through all the rubber and foam that make up the sole of the shoe, and they give a HUGE amount of traction when shoveling or walking the dog. Easy to make and have never come close to slipping in them, even on the sheets of ice we have been dealing with around here.

That's pretty damn clever.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:55 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
This is probably the worst stretch of winter weather we have seen since 2013-2014. There have been some bad days and bad storms here and there, but we haven't had a prolonged stretch of cold and snow like this for a long time. It sucks, but I guess we've been relatively lucky recently. Only 68 days until The Masters!

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:24 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
doug - evergreen park wrote:
man of few opinions wrote:

That's pretty damn clever.

if you want to try it, just make sure you get this type:

then just drill them right up through the rubber out-sole of the shoe so that the head of the screw is sticking out. the edges around the head of the screw dig right in to the ice, and when you have a dozen or some of them digging in you get a real nice grip. 3/16" is a good length so that you dont have to worry about them coming up through the sole into your foot (at least on the running shoes I use) but just be careful depending on the shoes you use. Naturally you still should always be careful when walking on ice regardless but these work like a charm for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:33 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Minooka Meatball wrote:

Last year just before New Years I drove that en route to Wisconsin. I never really felt that out of control driving before. Sliding and all of that but a weird thing was the worst for me. Under each overpass where for whatever reason snow turned to water and remelted there was a sudden jerk on my steering wheel as I passed underneath. It was like a hair raising potential spin out every time. Had family in the car and I don't know how they felt but I am pretty sure I put some grip marks in the wheel permanently.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:55 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
I don't understand the crazy people who don't wear a hat or gloves in this weather. Who are you trying to impress. Everyone either feels really sorry for your non-functioning brain or is laughing at you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:58 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Kirkwood wrote:
I don't understand the crazy people who don't wear a hat or gloves in this weather. Who are you trying to impress. Everyone either feels really sorry for your non-functioning brain or is laughing at you.

Wuss!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:01 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Kirkwood wrote:

Nah some people can tolerate the cold. I think people like you and Hatchetman are just envious of people who are real men and don't need to bundle up six times over to walk out to their car.

But yeah I got my hats and gloves on all day everyday in this bullshit

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:07 am 

Rare but I concur with KW. I forgot my hat at home yesterday and was considerable colder and more uncomfortable. I think those averse to hats are just too vain about their hair or some shit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:10 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
I picked up a $6 hunters cap from menards and a half decent pair of mittens. Those flaps over the ears are well worth the goofy look.

If you're going out for more than a run to the car and you aren't wearing a hat then you're an idiot.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:32 am 

pittmike wrote:
I think those averse to hats are just too vain about their hair or some shit.

I pay good money for my haircut. I am not going to fuck that with a hat. Now some nice lined leather gloves is fine. If your face can't be exposed to the cold walking from the car or train your a pussy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:34 am 

Kirkwood wrote:

I like the cold. I don't even wear a coat unless I'm going to be outside for 20 minutes or if it is below 0.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:35 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Minooka Meatball wrote:

And everything else, you damn fool. Your hypocrisy is on full display.

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
pittmike wrote:

I pay good money for my haircut. I am not going to fuck that with a hat. Now some nice lined leather gloves is fine. If your face can't be exposed to the cold walking from the car or train your a pussy.

*you're

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

I like the cold. I don't even wear a coat unless I'm going to be outside for 20 minutes or if it is below 0.

Yup.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:38 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
pittmike wrote:

*you're

Good catch.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:48 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
GoldenJet wrote:
I picked up a $6 hunters cap from menards and a half decent pair of mittens. Those flaps over the ears are well worth the goofy look.

those hats rule. the grumpy old men look.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:55 am 

pizza_Place: John's
It's cold but not that bad. To all you complaining, I'm sorry you were born without testicles.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:05 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Caller Bob wrote:
It's cold but not that bad. To all you complaining, I'm sorry you were born without testicles.

I have testicles, they just climbed up inside my body for a few days.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:10 am 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
pittmike wrote:

*you're

Good catch.

Open Season!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:18 am 

When people tell me to wear a coat, I go full meatball.

We're from Chicago! That used to mean something!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:26 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

These are people waiting for the Metra and then walking 10-15 minutes to their office. God bless 'em if they like the feeling.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3041 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 102  Next