It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 51  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Lebron isn't a dum dum like those other basketball players. Wouldn't it be cool if he was interested in the same things as me and read the same books as me and listened to the same music as me and wrote VERY. IMPORTANT. BLOG. POSTS (just like me!)

Damn top of the page.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
I think there's something to be said for processing everything going on in a basketball game, but let's cool our jets on LeRedBaron here, geez.

Right. Of course there are multiple information streams a player would need to be constantly evaluating while playing a full court basketball game. Not sure what there is to mock about that. But yeah that quote is absolutely cringeworthy.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
FavreFan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
I think there's something to be said for processing everything going on in a basketball game, but let's cool our jets on LeRedBaron here, geez.

Right. Of course there are multiple information streams a player would need to be constantly evaluating while playing a full court basketball game. Not sure what there is to mock about that. But yeah that quote is absolutely cringeworthy.

Merely highlighting the absurdity of comparing the information processesd playing a game of basketball to that of flying a billion dollar arial platform at mach 1.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Merely highlighting the absurdity of comparing the information processesd playing a game of basketball to that of flying a billion dollar arial platform at mach 1.

Well yeah, that comment was dumb. I was just saying I didn't understand your post.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:41 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Well yeah, that comment was dumb. I was just saying I didn't understand your post.

Comparatively speaking, monitoring the information presented during operation of a fighter jet makes playing a pro basketball game look like only needing to worry about the shot and game clock.

I'm not good at analogies.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
It's just gay. Don't fantasize about another man like that, especially with the weird racial angle at play.

"WOW LBERON HAS SUCH A BODY...WHAT IF IT COULD BE PINNED TO A MATCHING MIND" is Nazi-like in it's eugenic ambitions. LeBron James is not going to go to college in his years 36-40 and become an intellectual. What even is an intellectual? Is it just somebody who has a matching world view to the prevailing right-think? Is this proto-LeBron-for-President?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:21 pm 

I'll give a shoutout to Deadspin for this Charles Farrell preview of Lomachenko-Rigondeaux. I think their boxing coverage has often been much better than the coverage of other sports (or at least the articles they run by actual boxing writers, as opposed to Drew Margary or whoever going nuts because Pacquiao landed one punch against Mayweather or something).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:25 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
America wrote:
It's just gay. Don't fantasize about another man like that, especially with the weird racial angle at play.

"WOW LBERON HAS SUCH A BODY...WHAT IF IT COULD BE PINNED TO A MATCHING MIND" is Nazi-like in it's eugenic ambitions. LeBron James is not going to go to college in his years 36-40 and become an intellectual. What even is an intellectual? Is it just somebody who has a matching world view to the prevailing right-think? Is this proto-LeBron-for-President?

There's been a hard push from Deadspin et al to intellectualize black basketball players for years now. Bernstein's been at it too. Now that Trump is president and the NBA is the #resistance league, it's rampant.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:36 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Curious Hair wrote:
America wrote:

There's been a hard push from Deadspin et al to intellectualize black basketball players for years now. Bernstein's been at it too. Now that Trump is president and the NBA is the #resistance league, it's rampant.

I'll give LeBron credit. He doesn't drink Cameron Hughes unlabeled wine!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb92i8IhMfx ... =kingjames

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:46 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
America wrote:

I feel like it's the next stage in the evolution that Dougherty talked about a few months ago:
Quote:
The pattern of over-identifying with general managers is endemic to liberal sports journalism, and the not-so-secret truth is that liberal sportswriters increasingly hold the culture that produces athletes and their fans in contempt, or even find it dangerous and threatening. Fans are treated as a distracting nuisance, in thrall to their tribal affinities and over-invested in homegrown players or even in winning itself. How quaint.

The culture of athletes is treated as alien and toxic, a kind of pit in which womanizing bros, aggressive rageaholics, and icky religious freaks are allowed to flourish and enjoy a high income and status that would be justly denied to people who act and think in this way in any other profession. When macho athletes like Yasiel Puig are profiled, it is often in a superficial way in which their background is mined for all political resonance and dramatic tension, but the actual personality is carefully obscured. Athletes are famously hard to get to know, but sportswriters often just seem incapable of getting their head into a macho, competitive, aggressive culture. And sometimes, sports writers seem to be appealing to the general manager or team HR departments to enforce liberal norms on their highly paid assets.

The smaller portion of athletes who happen to share cultural affinities or political commitments with liberal sports writers are given glowing, intimate, get-to-know-you portraits. Stories like "How Philadelphia Eagles linebacker Connor Barwin — a bike-riding, socially conscious, Animal Collective-loving hipster — is redefining what it means to be a football player." I wonder if there was a follow-up asking all other football players whether they were redefined by Barwin's presence. It's notable that journalists who do seem to get along with average athletes, like Bill Simmons or even Stephen A. Smith, are treated with a little bit of suspicion by the rest of the sports writer tribe.
Once you realize how little you do identify with most of the athletes you cover, the next step of course is to wish they were more like you.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
ZephMarshack wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
America wrote:

I feel like it's the next stage in the evolution that Dougherty talked about a few months ago:
Quote:
The pattern of over-identifying with general managers is endemic to liberal sports journalism, and the not-so-secret truth is that liberal sportswriters increasingly hold the culture that produces athletes and their fans in contempt, or even find it dangerous and threatening. Fans are treated as a distracting nuisance, in thrall to their tribal affinities and over-invested in homegrown players or even in winning itself. How quaint.

The culture of athletes is treated as alien and toxic, a kind of pit in which womanizing bros, aggressive rageaholics, and icky religious freaks are allowed to flourish and enjoy a high income and status that would be justly denied to people who act and think in this way in any other profession. When macho athletes like Yasiel Puig are profiled, it is often in a superficial way in which their background is mined for all political resonance and dramatic tension, but the actual personality is carefully obscured. Athletes are famously hard to get to know, but sportswriters often just seem incapable of getting their head into a macho, competitive, aggressive culture. And sometimes, sports writers seem to be appealing to the general manager or team HR departments to enforce liberal norms on their highly paid assets.

The smaller portion of athletes who happen to share cultural affinities or political commitments with liberal sports writers are given glowing, intimate, get-to-know-you portraits. Stories like "How Philadelphia Eagles linebacker Connor Barwin — a bike-riding, socially conscious, Animal Collective-loving hipster — is redefining what it means to be a football player." I wonder if there was a follow-up asking all other football players whether they were redefined by Barwin's presence. It's notable that journalists who do seem to get along with average athletes, like Bill Simmons or even Stephen A. Smith, are treated with a little bit of suspicion by the rest of the sports writer tribe.
Once you realize how little you do identify with most of the athletes you cover, the next step of course is to wish they were more like you.

Thanks for the long read link.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:12 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:

bernstein in a nutshell.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:24 am 

"Yeah, a journalist tweeted out a demonstrably bullshit narrative about a Trump rally and got called out on it...but it was from a personal account and Donald Trump is a jackass and other bad things are happening in the world."

https://www.avclub.com/washington-post- ... 1821157244

Quote:
Twitter is a pit of misery that many of us would gladly set on fire if it weren’t useful for keeping in touch with friends, following breaking news, or occasionally operating the social media accounts for our pop culture writing jobs, but most people are lucky enough to avoid having to suffer through a true Twitter nightmare. Every once in a while, though, an otherwise innocent person will inadvertently strike a nerve and draw the ire of some angry group that is more than happy to ruin someone’s day, their week, or maybe even their entire Twitter experience. Washington Post reporter Dave Weigel seems to have experienced that kind of Twitter nightmare this weekend, having posted an inaccurate tweet about the crowd size of Donald Trump’s recent Florida rally that caught the eye of Trump himself.

As you might expect, Trump didn’t take it well. Though Weigel’s tweet was only up for 20 minutes before he discovered it was wrong and deleted it, Trump still took the time to gather photos of the event, screencap Weigel’s tweet, and fart out a little tirade about how Washington Post is “FAKE NEWS” and how Weigel should apologize.

Weigel did apologize, noting that it was “fair” to call him out for the mistake, but he also added that it was on his personal account and therefore doesn’t reflect any kind of official report from the Washington Post.

So yeah, Weigel made a mistake, but Donald Trump is still a pathetic little worm who is an embarrassment to the United States. The government literally just managed to avoid a total shutdown on Thursday, but Trump has time to yell at a private citizen on Twitter? Really, the most depressing thing about all of this is that none of it is surprising.

How kind of Weigel to allow himself to be chastised for what can only be categorized as a false news report, otherwise known as "fake news".

Also love the reference to the "private" account. Do journalists, including this asshole, not use their "private" twitter accounts to publicize their news stories?

Oh.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:23 am 

Quote:
Twitter is a pit of misery that many of us would gladly set on fire if it weren’t useful for keeping in touch with friends, following breaking news, or occasionally operating the social media accounts for our pop culture writing jobs, but

There is nothing the power users of Twitter love more than groaning about how bad Twitter is. Never mind that that a lot of them owe their careers to it, or their circles of friends to it, or that THEY STILL FUCKING POST ON IT ALL DAY, no one in the writersphere can go a day without oh-woe-is-meing about the ills of Twitter. "can you believe this site is free?" Can you imagine if we obsessed over how much this place sucks? I think most of us think this place is, on balance, pretty good!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:17 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Quote:

bernstein in a nutshell.

So was that article specifically written about Bernstein? Sure as hell seemed to be. Or are there more Bernsteins out there? Scary.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:42 am 

I didn't call him "Danny Deadspin" for nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:26 am 

tommy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Quote:

bernstein in a nutshell.

So was that article specifically written about Bernstein? Sure as hell seemed to be. Or are there more Bernsteins out there? Scary.

Many drawing very comfortable existences from the teat of the group's they hold in contempt. For doing little actual work and hiding behind a lazy claim of sports journalistic integrity that prevents them from "knowing" the athletes they cover.

I guess that talking about contracts, stadium financing and salary caps is a nice salve to their egos for only taking jobs in the playground's sand box.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

"Yeah, a journalist tweeted out a demonstrably bullshit narrative about a Trump rally and got called out on it...but it was from a personal account and Donald Trump is a jackass and other bad things are happening in the world."

https://www.avclub.com/washington-post- ... 1821157244

Quote:
Twitter is a pit of misery that many of us would gladly set on fire if it weren’t useful for keeping in touch with friends, following breaking news, or occasionally operating the social media accounts for our pop culture writing jobs, but most people are lucky enough to avoid having to suffer through a true Twitter nightmare. Every once in a while, though, an otherwise innocent person will inadvertently strike a nerve and draw the ire of some angry group that is more than happy to ruin someone’s day, their week, or maybe even their entire Twitter experience. Washington Post reporter Dave Weigel seems to have experienced that kind of Twitter nightmare this weekend, having posted an inaccurate tweet about the crowd size of Donald Trump’s recent Florida rally that caught the eye of Trump himself.

As you might expect, Trump didn’t take it well. Though Weigel’s tweet was only up for 20 minutes before he discovered it was wrong and deleted it, Trump still took the time to gather photos of the event, screencap Weigel’s tweet, and fart out a little tirade about how Washington Post is “FAKE NEWS” and how Weigel should apologize.

Weigel did apologize, noting that it was “fair” to call him out for the mistake, but he also added that it was on his personal account and therefore doesn’t reflect any kind of official report from the Washington Post.

So yeah, Weigel made a mistake, but Donald Trump is still a pathetic little worm who is an embarrassment to the United States. The government literally just managed to avoid a total shutdown on Thursday, but Trump has time to yell at a private citizen on Twitter? Really, the most depressing thing about all of this is that none of it is surprising.

How kind of Weigel to allow himself to be chastised for what can only be categorized as a false news report, otherwise known as "fake news".

Also love the reference to the "private" account. Do journalists, including this asshole, not use their "private" twitter accounts to publicize their news stories?

Oh.

So on the one hand, the press is so important to preserving our rights that we should worry about Trump silencing these noble servants, but on the other hand, when they publish something that's demonstrably wrong, we shouldn't give a shit because our current president is an asswipe? Do I have that right?

I have argued with Nas and RPB about what "fake news" actually is and they seem to share the opinion that it's stories that are outlandishly false like Comet Pizza and stuff propagated by the lunatic fringe like Mike Cernovich and that things like this or getting the date wrong on Jr.'s e-mail or making it seem like Trump was killing koi aren't really fake news but rather "mistakes". But how is it that these "mistakes" are always things that show Trump in a negative light? If they are really mistakes, wouldn't there be some made that are positive for Trump?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
https://eavi.eu/beyond-fake-news-10-typ ... ding-info/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:51 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
https://eavi.eu/beyond-fake-news-10-types-misleading-info/

Interesting. There does seem to be many types of "fake news." I would put the partisan category as "high impact," though, or come up with another way to judge them, since people need to be conscious of their ideological biases (at least by age 30). It's pretty scary when they're not.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
I think everyone knows the "Keaton Jones" story right now. That kid who was bullied and the video went viral. It's been quite the topic on the Internet the last few days.

Apparantly "The Root" ran an exclusive unearthing racist instagram posts from his mother.

The only problem is, (as The Root has since found out) the account was a fake and the posts were not from his mother.

So how long until Univision finds itself in the situation the previous ownership did?

https://thegrapevine.theroot.com/he-wen ... ne_twitter

Update: Dec. 11, 2017 3:10 p.m. EST:

Apparently Kimberly Jones is now the owner of a verified Instagram account and Joe Schilling was communicating with an alleged fake profile:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:40 pm 

:lol:

The Root.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Terry's Peeps wrote:

The Root.

That site is the worst. Urban daily stormer.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:30 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
I think everyone knows the "Keaton Jones" story right now. That kid who was bullied and the video went viral. It's been quite the topic on the Internet the last few days.

Apparantly "The Root" ran an exclusive unearthing racist instagram posts from his mother.

The only problem is, (as The Root has since found out) the account was a fake and the posts were not from his mother.

So how long until Univision finds itself in the situation the previous ownership did?

https://thegrapevine.theroot.com/he-wen ... ne_twitter

Update: Dec. 11, 2017 3:10 p.m. EST:

Apparently Kimberly Jones is now the owner of a verified Instagram account and Joe Schilling was communicating with an alleged fake profile:

I saw that earlier and was wondering if they still had other info about her. I mean, wouldn't you change the headline and not just add some Simpsons-like blurb (Warning: May Cause Death)? I assume she had other questionable posts....no one could be this cynically underhanded.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:47 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:

The Root.

I have never met a single person who references the Root, except for it's critics here. And the milquetoast Black Guy that comes on MSNBC every so often.

I guess that it's the journalistic equivalent to the "New Black Panther Party "

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:55 pm 

I think I've looked at it twice. This time and some article that said a tv show was racist a few years ago.

It's got it's audience I guess and that isn't me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:10 am 

The Root does more daydreaming about the race war than white nationalists. One of the world's foremost trolling outlets.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:35 am 

https://splinternews.com/the-happiest-c ... 1821584476

And Denmark just happens to be, along with Switzerland, the most hostile western European country to refugees. Thanks for admitting this, Gawker.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:41 am 

Leave it to America to take a nice story about happy people and turn it into a commentary on evil brown people.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:40 am 

Country That Decided Not to Commit National Suicide Found tinve Among World's Happiest, Study Finds.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 51  Next