It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 51  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Curious Hair wrote:
Lost on Leitch is that much of the NFL's drop in interest relates to social issues. If Colin Kaepernick, who does not even play in the NFL, chaps your ass that much, why would you be interested in the NBA? Yeah, normal people can't get enough of Russell Westbrook having instagram feuds because someone said his shoes look like a fam.

I still have strong doubts that the anthem stuff actually plays a significant role in the NFL's falling ratings.

And the NBA actually is doing better ratings this year. It's just that pretending it's now some kind of challenger to the NFL now is about as absurd as pretending FS1 is some kind challenger to ESPN because Colin Cowherd's show did better ratings than the paid programming that used to occupy his timeslot.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:57 pm 

Also and as further testament to Leitch's media bubble, do many people even like the Warriors the way he suggests anymore? I mean I might be biased because I was hating on Curry before it was cool, but I seriously don't think he's anything like the league's most beloved player and hasn't been for a while.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:03 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Lost on Leitch is that much of the NFL's drop in interest relates to social issues. If Colin Kaepernick, who does not even play in the NFL, chaps your ass that much, why would you be interested in the NBA? Yeah, normal people can't get enough of Russell Westbrook having instagram feuds because someone said his shoes look like a fam.

I still have strong doubts that the anthem stuff actually plays a significant role in the NFL's falling ratings.

And the NBA actually is doing better ratings this year. It's just that pretending it's now some kind of challenger to the NFL now is about as absurd as pretending FS1 is some kind challenger to ESPN because Colin Cowherd's show did better ratings than the paid programming that used to occupy his timeslot.

I was surprised how many people I talked to recently who mentioned they don't watch much NFL and mentioned the protests. I didn't think it had a big effect but it is hard when you see it anecdotally out of the blue multiple times.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
Brick posted Leitch's Deadspin column in the Trump thread, but embedded in it was something he wrote for New York magazine about the death of the NFL (maybe millennials killed it, lol):

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... e-nfl.html

Quote:
Compounding the problem — and the frustrations of NFL owners — has been the ascendancy of the NBA. Whereas the NFL felt like the sport that best fit the cultural spirit of the past decades of American life, it’s the NBA that reflects the future. All at once, the NBA has one of its greatest-ever teams (the Golden State Warriors), led by an inner-sanctum future Hall of Famer (Kevin Durant) and the league’s most beloved player (Stephen Curry); it has perhaps the best player since Michael Jordan (LeBron James), who also happens to be one of the most vital, globalist brand-called-me icons of our time; and it has a freewheeling, deeply pleasant style of play that is both an evolution of decades of on-court style and irresistible to watch. Perhaps more important, it has actively embraced the personalities, and the power, of its players, from the goofy man-child Twitter giddiness of 76ers star Joel Embiid to the Euro-charm of the Knicks’ own Kristaps Porzingis to an unprecedented spate of political activism culminating in the still-surreal spectacle of LeBron calling President Trump “U bum” on Twitter (which actually shut Trump up; he hasn’t talked about the NBA since). The NBA is vibrant and organic and alive; the NFL feels both toxic and bathed in amber. The league won’t even let the players take their helmets off to celebrate; how much could we possibly be expected to care about these people?

Is the NBA really doing that well? This just screams Elite Media Bubble to me, this idea that everyone is as fascinated by the NBA as people who work or used to work at Deadspin are. I'm pretty sure there are huge swaths of this country that don't care about a league with a tedious bullshit regular season where only four or five out of thirty teams are relevant, and plenty of people who are outright hostile to it in their preference for the college game. But guys guys guys, large, child-brained black man Joel Embiid has funny broken English on Twitter, guys!! And I'm sure nothing is more vibrant and alive than 7,000 people sitting on their hands at a Suns/Pelicans/Kings/Timberwolves game. The NFL's problems shouldn't be taken lightly but let's not act as if the NBA is really nipping at their heels here.

I think the NBA is in the best spot it’s been in in a very long time. I don’t know about all that larger culture stuff, but the product is better than it’s been in 20 years. The “four or five” relevant teams part is just not true. Over half the league is relevant right now and there’s great games every single night. The Pelicans are the only one of those four small market teams that have shit crowds. I mean, I get that you’re annoyed when people say good things about the nba, but I think your response is more indicative of living in a bubble than leitch’s excerpt is.

I will say that anyone who thinks Steph Curry is one of the most beloved players in the league is very out of touch with the league. He’s easily one of the 3 or 4 most polarizing players in the league.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:25 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Also and as further testament to Leitch's media bubble, do many people even like the Warriors the way he suggests anymore? I mean I might be biased because I was hating on Curry before it was cool, but I seriously don't think he's anything like the league's most beloved player and hasn't been for a while.

Didn’t see this response before my last post. You’re absolutely right.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:33 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
ZephMarshack wrote:

I thought a lot of fans turned on the Warriors when they got Durant (and, for that matter, that a lot of the Elite Media Bubble people did when that piece about what a TED-talking knob Joe Lacob is came out).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:37 pm 

I thought Elite Media was always like Pulitzer winners, Times reporters, etc. Please tell me some fat dumb fuck like Albert Burneko is not considered elite media :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:41 pm 

Well, it's a Brooklyn-based media company that writes for a hyperliterate audience, even when it writes about shitting your pants at a 49ers game or Beyonce lyrics.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:50 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I was surprised how many people I talked to recently who mentioned they don't watch much NFL and mentioned the protests. I didn't think it had a big effect but it is hard when you see it anecdotally out of the blue multiple times.

I mean anecdotally I've talked to just as many people who were boycotting from the start of the season because they were pissed no one had signed Kaepernick as I have to people who were pissed off about the protests. Yet you wouldn't know the former group even exists at all based on how this subject is frequently covered. I also think it's hard to attribute much to the protests given the fact that it's women and young people of all races that have dropped the most significantly this year, and I don't think those are the groups you'd expect to see exhibiting the biggest declines as a result of the protests. I also think the fact that we do see ratings go up compared to last year or all-time for some of the better and more significant games cuts against the idea of an across-the-board protest being a major factor.

Finally, I think self-reported reasons for tuning out are pretty tricky to deal with methodologically. You may not have been intending to tune into a game anyway because it's a bad matchup, but citing social or political reasons gives you a nobler cause for doing so. Hell one poll at the start of the year indicated that nearly as many people were tuning out because of the NFL's domestic violence issues as they were because of the protests, but I don't think many people actually put much stock into the former as a significant reason for the ratings decline.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
The fact that sites like Deadspin exist are the exact reason that Barstool has been so damn successful.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
The fact that sites like Deadspin exist are the exact reason that Barstool has been so damn successful.

I don't know about that. There was a time Deadspin was the rebel in sports media. A place that pulled the curtain back on the WorldWideLeader and exposed it for the joke it is. They mocked the sacred cows of sports and sports media. Somewhere along the way they lost that. They became part of the establishment. Maybe it was Denton's influence, sniffing their own farts in the comments section or hiring a bunch of liberal burritos like Patchesky and Burneko, but they are a shell of themselves now. More machine than man.

Barstool wouldn't be more than a geocities page without Deadspin. They just know how to "keep it real" for lack of a better term.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
https://adequateman.deadspin.com/dont-b ... 1821780107

idiot Deadspin writer doesn't have a current passport, gets told he cant go to Europe without a current passport and somehow blames Delta for his oversight. because "airlines are an oligopoly" and they deserve to be blamed for stupid Americans who do not know wtf they are doing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Didn't he say his passport is current and expired 3 months after he would return?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Ok so that is just as good as being expired. The airlines and state department both warn you of this. Its not a fucking secret.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Ok just making sure I had it right.

I got bored after the first paragraph and stopped reading.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:35 pm 

https://deadspin.com/bill-simmons-is-a- ... 1822032693

Drew is going in on Billy Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:06 pm 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:
https://deadspin.com/bill-simmons-is-a-fucking-embarrassment-1822032693

Drew is going in on Billy Boy

It was a good hatchet job until the end.

The end of that article is pretty emblematic of Deadspin as whole. The jealousy they express over other writers given better opportunities is something I have never seen from any other website before, or at least not nearly to the degree it is with Deadspin.

The fact is Magary and Deadspin DO harp on Bill Simmons way too damn much. It's just hitting the same note over and over again. Say something original next time, Drew.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:12 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
The end of that article is pretty emblematic of Deadspin as whole. The jealousy they express over other writers given better opportunities is something I have never seen from any other website before, or at least not nearly to the degree it is with Deadspin.

They outed an executive at Conde Nast because Conde Nast owns Reddit and they don't like Reddit. They live on petty professional jealousy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:14 pm 

I got bored of Magary's gimmick about a decade ago but it's still most useful for ripping on hacks like Simmons and King.

On the topic of the thread of Deadspin sucking however, their attempt to contribute to the outrage cycle of Floyd Mayweather most shockingly being ignorant of the #metoo movement was predictably tired. Even the author seemed to get bored halfway through the article.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:18 pm 

https://splinternews.com/make-trump-do- ... 1822009273

#journalism
#resist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:58 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
that article on trump wrote:
Here are some facts about the president’s well-being: Donald J. Trump is 71 years old. He is six-foot-three and weighs 239 pounds—putting him one pound shy of the official cutoff for obesity—according to his doctor’s report on Tuesday. He doesn’t drink alcohol or smoke. He reportedly drinks a dozen Diet Cokes a day, ordered using a button on his desk. He reportedly prefers eating fast food over made-to-order meals because of his “longtime fear of being poisoned”—although he is reportedly now working on his diet with a nutritionist. His regular McDonald’s order is “two Big Macs, two Fillet-O-Fish, and a chocolate malted.” There are longtime rumors that he takes cheap speed for energy. Trump admits he is “not a big sleeper,” resting somewhere between three and five hours of sleep a night. He loves golf but is skeptical of exercise, and subscribes to the bizarre theory “that a person, like a battery, is born with a finite amount of energy.”

Hell yeah trump sounds like a real mofo! The hilariously ironic part is that the author considers fitness tests some kind of blessing for jocks and awful thing for "the rest of us" --- but then he slams trump for essentially being the kind of person he was trying to champion via saying fitness tests are cruel!

Then again, it's donald trump so I wish someone would shoot that nazi bastard! #hellofbiwatchlist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:09 am 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:
https://splinternews.com/make-trump-do-the-presidential-fitness-test-1822009273

#journalism
#resist

Obama would have aced the presidential fitness test like a boss Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:08 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
https://splinternews.com/make-trump-do-the-presidential-fitness-test-1822009273

#journalism
#resist

Obama would have aced the presidential fitness test like a boss Image Image Image

Well I mean he is Kenyan American so...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:07 pm 

https://deadspin.com/overseas-troops-wi ... 1822266999

Deadspin: The NFL and DOD relationship is jingoistic bullshit and celebrates war

Also Deadspin: Won't someone think of the poor troops who can't watch the NFL due to Drumpf.

Fuck off

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:12 pm 

One of the things I've struggled with on the left is the universal goodness of soldiers coexisting with the universal evil of cops. Where do you think the cops learned their shit?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:16 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
One of the things I've struggled with on the left is the universal goodness of soldiers coexisting with the universal evil of cops. Where do you think the cops learned their shit?

From my deployment platoon 4 guys have went on to be cops. Two of them are the type who post borderline racist stories against BLM and were too aggressive when they were in the Army.

I keep watching social media thinking I will see them shooting a minority in the back for a broken tail light.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Curious Hair wrote:

I haven't seen that as much--I've seen the left ridicule enlisted men (pretty much men) here and there....I get the feeling that they think they're all from Alabama. --But you could be right.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Curious Hair wrote:

By watching one of the classics, "Maniac Cop?"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:03 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

Realistically at home.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Shots fired at JORR in today's Funbag

Quote:
Mike:

Why do so many douchebags wear blazers in the airport? I’m not talking a full suit with a button down shirt where someone was clearly in a meeting, removed their tie, and then went directly to the airport. That’s reasonable, and I’ve done that, rather than trying to change in an airport shitter. I’m talking about the dipshit that wears jeans, a casual button down shirt, and a blazer. Probably with loafers and a braided belt. What is he trying to prove?

https://adequateman.deadspin.com/yes-yo ... 1822330094

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 51  Next