It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 51  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:12 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Dave In Champaign wrote:
TIL a billionaire bankrolling the destruction of a media outlet out of spite is Actually Good

A weirdo like Peter Thiel being the man behind the Hulkster's curtain certainly does change the tenor of this, but I still don't feel great about defending Gawker after the Geithner stuff, among other things. Maybe they just needed a reeling in, short of nuking the whole thing and causing a chilling effect throughout post-journalism.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:32 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Curious Hair wrote:
Dave In Champaign wrote:
TIL a billionaire bankrolling the destruction of a media outlet out of spite is Actually Good

A weirdo like Peter Thiel being the man behind the Hulkster's curtain certainly does change the tenor of this, but I still don't feel great about defending Gawker after the Geithner stuff, among other things. Maybe they just needed a reeling in, short of nuking the whole thing and causing a chilling effect throughout post-journalism.

That is my point though. If it takes nuking them to reign others like them in then cool.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:37 am 

Ehhhh, that still sounds too much like a press afraid to function due to the wrath of eccentric billionaires.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:07 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
if it's any consolation, the right to privacy aspect of the case is going to be overturned on appeal. According to any lawyer I've read or heard discuss the issue.

i'd guess A.J. Daulerio's fucked on the intentional or negligent infliction of emotional distress aspect of the March verdict and likely again on the same claim re: the transcript leaks. and by extension Gawker media will likely to have to pony up for that count as well.

if gawker wanted to make it easy on themselves, and they may have already tried this, they could claim Daulerio acted outside the scope of his job/authority, and therefore liability for his actions in taunting Hogan etc should not attach to them.

but then they'd have to show they disciplined Daulerio in some way, fired him or otherwise disciplined him for his actions they might claim were rogue on his part. Once they knew about them.

Daulerio's never gonna win at trial; not with the video-taped deposition where he says "3 years old" would be his cut off for publishing naked pics of celebs or whatever he said. https://youtu.be/x8_POLkoMZE

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:10 am 

I have more interest in seeing A.J. Daulerio and Jordan Sargent destroyed than Gawker itself.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Didn't it come out that Daulerio is $30k in the red? Lol he's already done for.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:00 pm 

yeah, the jury in the punitive phase--after awarding Hogan $115 million and holding Gawker as well as Daulerio and Denton personally liable--only hit Daulerio with $100K in punitive damages, cause of his impecuniousness.

but what about Daulerio's piece of the original $115 mil? Or is that joint and several, so that if Gawker pays it off, Daulerio's off the hook? but then if Gawker goes BR and Denton skips town with his cash, Daulerio could be left holding the bag for whatever over the $50 mil bond the appeals court affirms?

they're saying the appeals court likely cuts the initial award in half. so about $7.5 mil over the bond amount.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:10 pm 

if you're daulerio, and gawker pays the bond to stay enforcement of the judgement against you, get an agent and try to sell the rights to your story--book/film/whatever rights---to the highest bidder. take the advance money and stash it overseas.

people queued up to see the boring ass story of Facebook's founding. Deadspin guy's gotta have some juicy stories to tell.

otherwise, i could see Daulerio ending 'an hero' as the kids say.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:38 pm 

They are scared. Like really scared.

http://gawker.com/heres-what-gawker-media-does-1779858799

They do some good work but it is nice to see them finally have some consequences for the bad things they do.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Fasano's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

They do some good work but it is nice to see them finally have some consequences for the bad things they do.

I find it fucking hilarious, the whole thing. They peddle smut and expect their readers to think of them as some pillar of society. They are a couple rungs down from TMZ.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
I dont see the NYT begging for the right to exist.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

:lol:

I love how the whole intro is them trying to justify their important work, and then the very first link they show as an example is "Mark Zuckerberg Asks Racist Facebook Employees To Stop Crossing Out Black Lives Matters Slogans". :lol:

Very. Important. Journalism.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:54 pm 

Killing Gawker off this way does kind of suck, though.

What also sucks is the call-your-job-to-get-you-fired move, which Hillary's goon squad has used to knock Matt Bruenig, Carl Beijer, and Freddie DeBoer off Twitter.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:03 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Killing Gawker off this way does kind of suck, though.
Someone will replace them, or hopefully they'll sell off Deadspin.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:01 pm 

What?
http://theslot.jezebel.com/a-true-conversation-i-had-with-my-very-woke-baby-after-1781269069

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:09 pm 

main thing i'd miss if gawker 404'd would be the comments section.

From BRick's link:

Quote:

When I read the line about vaginal elasticity I wondered if the fact that I had 5 children basically ruin mine would help me or hurt me as I vote with my vagina.

Like, my pussy can reach higher, but can it firmly grasp a stylus?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

sorry, that was a mess to read so i gave up 2 sentences in

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:10 pm 

I'm pretty sure that one isn't going to make the "This is why gawker needs to exist" list.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Was she breastfeeding Bernstein's kid?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:32 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

That was outstanding. Few things in this election have been more insufferable than the precocious-child literary device, though one of the few things may have been you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:34 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

That was outstanding. Few things in this election have been more insufferable than the precocious-child literary device, though one of the few things may have been you.
Oh, so I guess that is the intellectual stuff I just don't get. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:10 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
billypootons wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

sorry, that was a mess to read so i gave up 2 sentences in

what in the hell was that.

Quote:
my son unyieldingly pinching my nipples with both his tiny fists. He was having one of his tantrums.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:12 pm 

Read the embedded tweets. It's making fun of a certain subset of "woke" journalists who pretend their young children make trenchant political insights and reducing it to absurdity.

Stephen Marche in particular is a contemptible taint-licker in everything he does in life.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
Read the embedded tweets. It's making fun of a certain subset of "woke" journalists who pretend their young children make trenchant political insights and reducing it to absurdity.

Stephen Marche in particular is a contemptible taint-licker in everything he does in life.

That's pretty absurd in it's own right. I don't think any reducing is necessary.

I'm not sure you can fault people who don't get the point of the article. I've followed the election pretty closely, but haven't made it a habit to read people who think 2 year olds have important political opinions. I'd imagine Rick and others are similar.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Curious Hair wrote:

This feels like one obnoxious trend where Señor was actually ahead of the curve for a change.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:23 pm 

Think of it in the context of Bernstein's kid's mock draft.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:28 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

I read the tweets. The tweets were dumb too. The article wasn't really well done or interesting. It didn't really make a point either besides this is obnoxious when we all know it is obnoxious as FF said.

To me, satire should be funny or insightful and preferably both. This was neither.

To me, it just seemed like a female gawker writer was trying her best to do a bad Drew Magary impression under the excuse of some idiots on twitter mentioning their kids. As I said though, you are the intellectual and I'm not so no wonder I wasn't enthusiastic about the point she beat everyone over the head with in an unfunny manner.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I just let my five year old nephew read this thread and he said, "What the fuck is wrong with these people?"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:44 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
That's pretty absurd in it's own right. I don't think any reducing is necessary.

Yeah, one would think, but they won't fucking stop doing it. They should have been shamed out of this like three primaries ago!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Fasano's
Well looks as if Gawker is taking the Hulkster verdict on the chin.

https://twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/741314115969372160

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 51  Next